dayznikki

Launching the game freezes & crashes whole computer

I've been playing Dayz for a few months now, no problem.  I tried to launch the game yesterday and it begins to load, before the black & white Dayz screen appears, windows freezes and crashes.....unable to do anything resulting in a hard power off using the power button.  I have tried to play Dayz on both of my computers, same problem.  My son's laptop and his steam account runs Dayz fine, yet if I use his login on my machines Dayz freezes & crashes the whole computer.

After this I figured a reinstall would sort the issue, no joy..... 3 fresh installs later and still no joy 😞

Please help!

Update; After literally 9 fresh installs, the game now starts to load (screen goes black...no Dayz logo), it stays like that for a few minutes then kicks me out back to windows.  STILL cant access the game on my 2 computers that I have been playing Dayz on for months....what the hell is going on?! Any help much appreciated.

On 2/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, dayznikki said:

Update; After literally 9 fresh installs, the game now starts to load (screen goes black...no Dayz logo), it stays like that for a few minutes then kicks me out back to windows.  STILL cant access the game on my 2 computers that I have been playing Dayz on for months....what the hell is going on?! Any help much appreciated.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:05 AM, saitec said:

same problem..

1 hour ago, Ovidiu Cochior said:

Same, the game takes up al the ram in the PC then crashes the PC.

how much ram does your pc have? 8GB is the minimum recommended for DayZ.

If you have 8GB or more, have you confirmed this is still available to your pc?

Same, I've been through everything, 32GB RAM here and decent page file set up, I'm way down at the stage of clean re-install with system updated and only dayz/steam installed, still upon starting the game in steam the icon appears on the taskbar but in a 'not responding' state, game window is maximised but black screen, if you tab out you see system RAM then ramps up from baseline of ~4GB usage up to maxed out at 32GB over around 20-30 seconds, the os then hangs and dayz.exe and steam crash.  The first few times it happened I had to power cycle the pc to unfreeze the OS.  Later, once I alt tabbed I was able to close the process before the system hung or even if it did as long as the task manger was up and the game was tabbed it was recoverable for the OS.

Experimental DayZ works as the stable install did last Saturday, no problems, only the stable dayz install hangs and trashes the system memory % without getting to the game menu.  No stepwise changes have affected the issue at all, it's the same in each test.  Validated files, clear files, re-install game, change page file, re-install game on SSD (was on HDD for over 1000 hours gameplay), clean install of windows etc.

Edited by CitizenK

On 7/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, CitizenK said:

Same, I've been through everything, 32GB RAM here and decent page file set up, I'm way down at the stage of clean re-install with system updated and only dayz/steam installed, still upon starting the game in steam the icon appears on the taskbar but in a 'not responding' state, game window is maximised but black screen, if you tab out you see system RAM then ramps up from baseline of ~4GB usage up to maxed out at 32GB over around 20-30 seconds, the os then hangs and dayz.exe and stream crash.  The first few times it happened I had to power cycle the pc to unfreeze the OS.  Later, once I alt tabbed I was able to close the process before the system hung or even if it did as long as the task manger was up and the game was tabbed it was recoverable for the OS.

Experimental DayZ works as the stable install did last Saturday, no problems, only the stable dayz install hangs and trashes the system memory % without getting to the game menu.  No stepwise changes have affected the issue at all, it's the same in each test.  Validated files, clear files, re-install game, change page file, re-install game on SSD (was on HDD for over 100 hours gameplay), clean install of windows etc.

Have you checked/Do you know how to check your Event Viewer logs?  I would be curious to see if Windows is logging something as the RAM is spooling up.

In case you don't know where they are, if you right-click on your Start button in Windows 10, you should see an options list pop up and one of them should be Event Viewer.  Click that one and in the window that opens, expand the Windows Logs folder and then check in each log around the time this last occurred (or maybe make it happen again and then check the most recent logs entries).  Look for Warning or Error level messages around the time that this happened.

This may yield no help at all, but worth a look in case Windows is logging something about it.

The program DayZ_x64.exe version 1.4.152.50 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 23ec
Start Time: 01d534b31763b394
Termination Time: 3
Application Path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ_x64.exe
Report Id: ff588bbb-8d8a-45b8-87a3-5fad6e6eda27
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Hang type: Unknown

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ_x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: DayZ_x64.exe
Application Version: 1.4.152.50
Application Timestamp: 5d1b6273
Hang Signature: 0000
Hang Type: 134217728
OS Version: 10.0.18362.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: 00000000000000000000000000000000
Additional Hang Signature 2: 0000
Additional Hang Signature 3: 00000000000000000000000000000000
Additional Hang Signature 4: 0000
Additional Hang Signature 5: 00000000000000000000000000000000
Additional Hang Signature 6: 0000
Additional Hang Signature 7: 00000000000000000000000000000000

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 3a6d8ca6d43940e71b1644626b96cc59 (1951822678014217305)

Fault bucket 1951822678014217305, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DayZ_x64.exe
P2: 1.4.152.50
P3: 5d1b6273
P4: 0000
P5: 134217728
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5A24.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5A35.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5A44.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5A54.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Temp\WER64E4.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_DayZ_x64.exe_292835eee32522b2459e6b89ff7bddc2d4066d_6610ade6_d8672631-d7db-46d6-a942-a3decd8d0240

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 52e66b2d-0629-41e9-a013-209c4e413480
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 3a6d8ca6d43940e71b1644626b96cc59
Cab Guid: 0

=====================

I've made a tracker item a few days back on the official Bohemia bug site, waiting for more feedback after the first round of things they asked me to look at.

Edited by CitizenK

Well, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you have Steam installed under Program Files (x86) which is normally where 32-bit programs get installed.  The Steam client is a 32-bit process, but DayZ should be running as a 64-bit process.  Windows might be having a cow over this, man.

The other thing is how many versions of Steam do you have installed?  On one post, it says "Application Path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ_x64.exe" and on the next, it says "Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ_x64.exe".  Why do you have Steam and DayZ installed twice, one on C drive and one on D drive?

Also, you should never install anything under the default of "Program Files" as those folders are protected by various securities within Windows and can sometimes cause ball aches.  I would strongly suggest reinstalling Steam only once to just D:\Steam -- first, make a backup copy of your \Steam\steamapps\common folder so you don't lose your games and then uninstall Steam, reboot the computer and then reinstall Steam to D:\Steam, then copy back all the games you backed up to the new location, which would be D:\Steam\steamapps\common, then reboot the computer again and then start Steam.  It will want you to "Install" the games again, but it will scan that folder first and only download anything new, so DayZ should be at 100% pretty quickly.

I don't know if this will fix it for you, but it might have something to do with it.

It's not the location at the start of the issue, PC's been wiped and the install has been relocated multiple times to fault find, some of those crash dumps are from those changes but are essentially the same as the first error when the issue started.

The first round of fault finding was done with Steam and DayZ installed on the HDD secondary drive, no issues with the dayz.exe for approx 24 months in that configuration.  Issue started when re-joining game via an open DZSA launcher, no known game, steam or pc updates occurred at the time the issues started.  The problem started about 2 weeks after the major game update had happened but only for DayZ and not the experimental install.

Mod issues have been ruled out as since the fresh install none are subscribed/installed and the error persists unchanged.

Edited by CitizenK
  • Like 1

Hello there,the same thing is happening to me now,since this post is kinda old I would like to know if you fixed it and if so then how ? I played day Z fine,stopped for a few hours and when I came back to it  the game crashed at start up.I reinstalled it a few times...nothing .....

I have the same Issue as well and i have tried everything ive read to fix this issue. Dayz has been the only game ive enjoyed for the last few years and it sucks i cant play anymore. I can play any other game even the unstable Experimental patch just not the stable live game.

Has anyone found a fix to this?

I have this exact same problem (computer does not crash though)

I do not know if it is relevant but this morning was playing on Livona 1.19 and the issue started when i closed all and tried to go to my normal server on Chernarus 1.18