ImpulZ

Experimental Update 1.0150408

5 hours ago, MATTEO M said:

do they fix persistence when it crashes the server?

Read up, one of the first things I've got to test since I got back.

In a nutshell, no they gave a workaround, the server auto-backups every half a hour for six hours giving 12 sets of .bin files or restore points to roll back to. I crashed mine on purpose and it did corrupt the current ones. Seems to be a manual process to restore unless I'm missing something.

Going on an adventure today and was wondering about these points to test.

Added: Antibiotics can now fight diseases

Added: Vitamins can boost player's immunity

Added: Masks and headgear provide some level of biological protection 

What diseases and biological environments are present that you can fight, protect from or be immune to?

been drinking pond water since Sunday with no consequence?

• Beans 1

39 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Going on an adventure today and was wondering about these points to test.

Added: Antibiotics can now fight diseases

Added: Vitamins can boost player's immunity

Added: Masks and headgear provide some level of biological protection 

What diseases and biological environments are present that you can fight, protect from or be immune to?

been drinking pond water since Sunday with no consequence?

Currently there are two ways to get sick:

1) Stomach sickness: Drinking lots of pond water. It is pretty safe to drink a few sips, but when you take 10+ sips a bacteria icon will appear in the right bottom of your screen. As long as that icon stays there, you will have a chance that your character will start to throw up and lose hydration (energy?) as a result. I had this a few times with my toons.

2) Common flu: I never experienced this one before, but you should get it by being cold (and wet?) for a prolonged time according to other people. Now you character starts to cough and sneeze all the time. Not sure if it has any other downside effects. Food that you are carrying will be contaminated and thus needs to be cleaned before eating with disinfected spray or alcohol tincture. If you take sips from a bottle the water will also be contaminated. If you will give it to another player he will get sick as well. Same goes for people that hang around you for too long. The coughing and sneezing makes people sick near you. I think that the masks and headgear give you some form of protection against this.

• Beans 1

52 minutes ago, amadieus said:

Currently there are two ways to get sick:

1) Stomach sickness: Drinking lots of pond water. It is pretty safe to drink a few sips, but when you take 10+ sips a bacteria icon will appear in the right bottom of your screen. As long as that icon stays there, you will have a chance that your character will start to throw up and lose hydration (energy?) as a result. I had this a few times with my toons.

2) Common flu: I never experienced this one before, but you should get it by being cold (and wet?) for a prolonged time according to other people. Now you character starts to cough and sneeze all the time. Not sure if it has any other downside effects. Food that you are carrying will be contaminated and thus needs to be cleaned before eating with disinfected spray or alcohol tincture. If you take sips from a bottle the water will also be contaminated. If you will give it to another player he will get sick as well. Same goes for people that hang around you for too long. The coughing and sneezing makes people sick near you. I think that the masks and headgear give you some form of protection against this.

Thank you for that splendid answer.

1)I have drank a lot of pond water, maybe lucky?

2)I have two copies and can multibox to test communicable diseases at some point or see if one of my kids wants to come do some science this weekend. Kind of catching up and trying to find lost love for the game itself ATM.

On my adventure, just drove form Elektro to just shy of Novo in short order with the X-Box controller, the car steers as fast as the sticks move so you can do J-turns and make quick accurate corrections at speed. The little ute seems floaty over 50-55 and cant pull hills for shit even in 1st but the fuel mileage is great, the sound is good enough I don't need to look at the tach.

I aside from the vehicle unexpectedly slowing down a bit a few times not seeing any of the common complaints or any of the old glitchy stuff I remember. That's probably server performance or latency issues, my ping is under 20ms and my server runs at 500-1500fps with just me in the game. moved my server and put it on a second TV so I can peek at performance while I play.

I got to do one of my favourite things, running over infected rather than killing them manually, encountered one military zombie (officer?darker uniform) that could pass through the vehicle and actually hit me in the car. I ran down his buddies and got out where he stayed unresponsive against my car while I carefully hit him 3 times with sledgehammer, could not search him and the body despawned right quick.

I'm holding 20+ fps with the odd dip to 18, this is actually fantastic for my rig and the way I play, not complaining,  I'm getting 5fps  in the inventory screen though and slow response, double click pick up not working.

• Beans 1

I am showing sick now, I threw up and the icon is showing, no consequences I can see otherwise.

I'm going to restart my server with the player debug panel open and see if it tells me anything about what I've got.

My drive is going fantastic, not sure where exactly I am, northern east-west hwy somewhere,  but just found a heli crash before logging out.

Noticed two stutters with seemingly clear reasons driving that would probably magnify with latency/server load.

1) A group of infected spawning I believe, came up on a town real fast and I think this might have been client side only.

2)A worse one and I looked over at the server screen to see the trouble placing... alcohol tincture... scroll by on the server screen.

One that applies both driving and walking is when the heli crashes and police cars reset, I get a short freeze every time, it's to the point I know before I check the server what that bump was.

0A7E5402BFD1AA8F214AF45CF97EACD0A73240AD

*edit*

Neat was editing my serverDZ config, found the tic rate for messages I was looking for and line about server auto restore.

The one try at crashing mine and restarting did not auto restore even though this is "on", server froze on reboot and manually restored backups I made testing backups, will try again later to double check.  I'm using my pre-patch DB files, I will try with and without when i feel like it, having fun ATM and it's been awhile since I've felt that about DayZ 

Edited by BCBasher
  • Beans 1

With the admin log, could we get an expansion to include when a user builds/destroys a fence/gate... this would allow administrators to better resolve persistence issues as they could check if the cause was a persistence fault or a raider.

"Get that backpack stupid?"

Ended up an NWAF and my truck is getting full so i Started carrying a mountain back pack in my lap and dropping it beside the truck when I get out, this dude locked onto it for some reason while I was looting. He let me close the truck door and did not react just kept whaping at the bag as I hit him with a sledge hammer.

AA3974F6D23B2BEFD9A416A7F5DB4C50459B6089

• Beans 1

And the shenanigans continue, just wanted to look at my truck I guess.

I got in ran two of them over, the third could pass through my truck, I drove for a bit and got out to clobber him and my truck was invisible him still locked on to it. Shut myself en a barrack and re-logged which got rid of him and made my truck visible again.

Been sick for hours with no consequence other that an icon.

1BFF7C85D2E794B3434185FF8157A5E7E24DF6A9

• Beans 1

Finally picked up antibiotics they totally fix the annoying icon,  curing the non existent disease seems to stunt your blood regen though? 

The old take the boots off trick didn't work because I guess you can walk barefoot now?  Had to get in a fight suffer actual blood loss and bandage before my blood would start regenerating, took one hit in an attack before with no blood loss but a bit of health and my heath was regenerating without full blood too.

Also found and sks so they spawn right even if you have pre-patch DB files, that's positive I guess.

8E2A830DF3CA64335E6E40A6A324AC6CDB24E001

*ADDED IMAGE note the debug panel and no indication of health or blood coming up.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Beans 1

Went up on a roof and tried the M59/66, the attention to detail in the model and animations is pretty damn good. I have a real Russian 56r and the shell sound is good, good although I haven't tried firing the game one indoors, it ejects up and if you have a ceiling like a covered range it can get crazy with shells going up down and everywhere.

My only beef aren't really easy or worth fixing.

1) You don't need to force rounds in individually reloading, if they're pointing the right way you can just drop 3-5 in and push them all in with your thumb, mine is pinned at 5rds and I can fill thee mag in one movement without stripper clips, drop in a handful and push down once.

2) Looks kind of like the character follows the bolt letting it down slowly, once you have ammo in it you're supposed to yank back and let it snap closed on it's own, it's meant to slam shut during cycling anyway you don't need to baby it.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Beans 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:06 AM, BCBasher said:

In a nutshell, no they gave a workaround, the server auto-backups every half a hour for six hours giving 12 sets of .bin files or restore points to roll back to. I crashed mine on purpose and it did corrupt the current ones. Seems to be a manual process to restore unless I'm missing something.

Exactly as I feared.  This is a no-go.  I'm not even kidding.

7 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

C'mon man... be positive!  Less 1.NO and more 1.GO

Just kidding. It's a mess. 

• Beans 1

31 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Care to elaborate?

I noticed it has an auto restore in the  configDZ but it didn't seem to work the one time I tried.

Haven't seen any complains so far about people losing their barrels/tents, which is a good sign. Would be better if the server would auto-backup for more then just every half a hour though.

1 hour ago, amadieus said:

Haven't seen any complains so far about people losing their barrels/tents, which is a good sign. Would be better if the server would auto-backup for more then just every half a hour though.

I managed to make my way around to everything I've set up since Sunday even before the patch on my locked server, that seemed solid.

Haven't tried a second time but the auto restore switch in the server config file is on and didn't seem to work, only tried once so far.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Beans 1

Okay, got a test mission complete truck at a every truck spawnpoint, moved player spawns to truck spawnpoints, spawned the truck with a kiwi in it's inventory, it took me two tries to figure out the phrasing to add cargo. Should be fuck all to add 4 jugs oil, six canteens, and a jerry can to it's inventor from spawn. 😉

8C9A5444B92C2AA193DE7EA5D5CE928A560BAB2C  

Edited by BCBasher
  • Beans 1

I've got it done, trucks spawn complete at all truck spawn points with fluids in cargo, players respawn at trucks spawn points.

I'd consider uploading this test mission to google drive or something if anyone is running and open EXP server and wants it for science or fun?

Hitting animals with vehicles, check.

Having 80 complete ADAs on the map with just me is a huge hit to the server FPS 300ish with me in instead of 500-100fps and just shy of 500fps with me logged out instead of 2500fps. For one or two player on a server that's just fine but I see big problems having enough toys in the sandbox for 60+ players at this point.

A4F62E3B1B07625E43F8783831F1AC36599125C1

The truck is off here but still blowing smoke out of the tailpipe, had another zombie choose the truck over me looting his tents again.

E355F34087DBA2C19082D7F0B5AB27C463526C6F

• Beans 1

Collision with chickens also works.

4372F37A1E05A803E4572BC3FA7A6A8C76F705AC

Server performance came up after an hour more, still have lots of infected staying agroed on my car.

EE580BAEFDB4214BE12055FCDADCFABCCE88F2EA

8AACF77896B0C9CA372826076BC5947D442D2514

I started shooting these guys and the last one woke up, pulled everybody else in Pavlovo so I shut myself in a barracks and shot them out the window. Not sure what the point of them being so bullet resistant is, some taking two 7.62X38mm or .45 to the head. 

• Beans 1

they move toward sound sources. they always gathered at cars, or points where they heard a shot, etc. if they reach the sound source and do not find you visually.

an automatic backup is not a bad start. since you have no control over when the files are written, backing up manually was not working all that well. i am sure they will add options to the interval and the amount.

• Beans 1

12 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Care to elaborate?

I noticed it has an auto restore in the  configDZ but it didn't seem to work the one time I tried.

Well, a while ago, I posted somewhere that we need fixes, no workarounds. This is a workaround and took them a while to create this workaround. Remember in pre-0.63? Servers used to crash all the time and it rarely wiped persistence. Backups were rarely needed back then, so why suddenly now? We need solutions and fixes, no workarounds. Of course it's great that there is a workaround now but I hope they intend to fix the problem at hand as well and not leave it as is.

• Beans 1

When will this go live?

The persistence Workaround only help private Servers.
Official public Servers dont backup and dont restore ...

Well ok, they do automatic backups now, but nobody will manually restore them on public Servers ...

Edited by Supe2licious
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IMT said:

Well, a while ago, I posted somewhere that we need fixes, no workarounds. This is a workaround and took them a while to create this workaround. Remember in pre-0.63? Servers used to crash all the time and it rarely wiped persistence. Backups were rarely needed back then, so why suddenly now? We need solutions and fixes, no workarounds. Of course it's great that there is a workaround now but I hope they intend to fix the problem at hand as well and not leave it as is.

This goes far beyond my understanding of game development, but I am actually pretty interested to know why a lot of games have no problems with persistence and DayZ does. A simple question with probably an in-depth answer, but I am curious to know. Would love to devs to try and explain it.

• Beans 1

14 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Care to elaborate?

THEGordanFreeman has elaborated several times in the past already.   Perhaps if the majority of posts in the experimental and stable threads are going to be from you then maybe you should do a bit of research to accompany your 'science'.  

Additionally, *a lot* of the feedback that you've been posting is already known information that's already been discussed. Months ago.

Moreover, much of the information that you've given isn't relatable.  Especially the performance issue feedback.  Very few people play DayZ on their own 3-person server running from an old potato laptop sitting next to them.  This relates to what THEGordanFreeman already explained elsewhere.  The short answer is that while restores will help *somebody*, they will invariably screw over somebody else.  Well, except for the  <1% who don't play with other people, ever.

• Beans 2