BCBasher

Persistence in single player or home server?

I've played maybe four time in a year and a half and I'm trying to get back into it.

I've got no interest in PVP especially relearning the map and new feature,  I just tried sneaking around on and almost empty server and of course, bumped into guy who's playing fortnight while I'm rounding up my shit to go off the grid. 

I hate how they fractured all the experimental threads so I can't even read about where were at currently in any timely fashion.

Is there persistence in single player now before I throw away two hours to find out there isn't? 

I also own two copies and a second PC capable of running a server, do I need a 2nd copy of the game to run a server, or am allowed to use both clients and run a server if I wanted to play with my brother or kids on my spare copy?

Is the an easy to use utility to set one up like we had for A2-A3?

Doesn't sound like you're trying all that hard.  Shouldn't you be able to navigate the forums seeing as how you've been here for quite some time?

Offline mode is no longer supported.  If you have the ability to run your own server than why not just download the server files, create your own server, and whitelist it?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Parazight said:

Doesn't sound like you're trying all that hard.  Shouldn't you be able to navigate the forums seeing as how you've been here for quite some time?

Offline mode is no longer supported.  If you have the ability to run your own server than why not just download the server files, create your own server, and whitelist it?

Yeah sometime is a bit of an understatement considering my hours in game,  post count and how long my break was. I was very, very active in the experimental forum until they changed it to a new thread for every minute version change, a large part of the reason I quit, invisible zombies too but I'm really trying to let that go. 

I'd rather read 200 continuous pages catching than go back and forth through 150 posts with little to no information in each. Probably more a me thing but I just find it frustrating. I also feel it killed some of the sense of community we had in EXP between people who didn't necessarily play together back then, still salty about that in case you couldn't tell. 

As far as downloading the serer files, does it include a utility for server set up or do I need a third party program like ArmA2 to write the config files to tune it for one or two players?

Do I need a licensed copy just as a server or am I entitled to a server and client per licence?

• Beans 1

@BCBasher

No you do not need a separate license for the server files. 

I do not use tools for the server to run. Everything you need is there. It boils down to configuring the server and startup process. I play and run the server on my machine, and my son connects to my server. Persistence worked OK. We had a blast exploring and building cars.

Read this forum topic https://forums.dayz.com/topic/239635-dayz-server-files-documentation/

I hope to have some time to play again this weekend. 😞

If needed I can send you my startup .bat files.

Edited by ScipioII
spelling
  • Beans 2

2 hours ago, BCBasher said:

I also feel it killed some of the sense of community we had in EXP between people who didn't necessarily play together back then

seem to be a "new generation" of players who use the forum to Tweet and don't actually READ to find out that they are opening the 7th thread of the month on the same subject. (scuse me saying so)
Maybe they'll mellow down into a community and - exchange - ideas, or maybe they're Internet 2 victims  ...  << Search Function - I dont give no sheeeet about no foookin search function >> 
If a topic ain't IN YOUR FACE first page when you log on, nobody notices it's there any more.

Let's see how it goes from here on.  I LIKE finding threads & opinions and ideas and looking BACK to check stuff, but I'm senile and Ive been doing this since ARPANET.

Edited by pilgrim*

On 2/1/2019 at 4:36 PM, pilgrim* said:

seem to be a "new generation" of players who use the forum to Tweet and don't actually READ to find out that they are opening the 7th thread of the month on the same subject. (scuse me saying so)
Maybe they'll mellow down into a community and - exchange - ideas, or maybe they're Internet 2 victims  ...  << Search Function - I dont give no sheeeet about no foookin search function >> 
If a topic ain't IN YOUR FACE first page when you log on, nobody notices it's there any more.

Let's see how it goes from here on.  I LIKE finding threads & opinions and ideas and looking BACK to check stuff, but I'm senile and Ive been doing this since ARPANET.

I don't even try to read inflection on the internet, not sure ow to take that as it had nothing to do with my actual question.  A good half my post were answering dumb questions in novices and newbies and sticking up for the forever taking development.  I legit didn't feel like searching for once and just figured I'd ask a dumb question and see if I got a good answer.

Was specifically speaking about how the experiment forum changed and my personal dislike for the new format, I actually solved that by not participating at all anymore.

23 hours ago, eno said:

Welcome back @BCBasher!

Thanks, not sure if I am back, I'm trying to see if I have any love left for the game and downloading server files and tools right now. As I've stated I think my favorite part of this forum went for a shit quite awhile ago. At least the client plays stable and looks nice on my PC now so It may just be the perfect world simulator I paid for after all, who knows. 

Just did a half hour or so running the server and client on one machine 20ish FPS average which is as good as I've ever done online, played good enough to fist fight four infected in the dark and live.

Now I can quietly savor all the progresses the developers have made in my own little anti-social world finally. 

Think I might be a happy camper now. 

😏

7 hours ago, BCBasher said:

not sure ow to take that as it had nothing to do with my actual question.

OK, sorry dude - I thought you said  :

On 2/1/2019 at 10:59 PM, BCBasher said:

.. 150 posts with little to no information in each. Probably more a me thing but I just find it frustrating.  ..  I also feel it killed some of the sense of community we had in EXP between people who didn't necessarily play together back then, ...  still salty about that

must have misunderstood
- no problem.

12 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

OK, sorry dude - I thought you said  :

must have misunderstood
- no problem.

I did, in my opinion when we kept the same EXP topic going for 200-2000+ comments it was easier for me to follow. When they got Batty supervising it, it all went for a shit in my opinion. "Lets start a new post every 0.00001 version change", same shit, same bugs claiming to be fixed in 10 redundant posts a week, the old system I could at least keep track of stuff that was working.

Either way, finally somewhat happy with the game again now, I played a good 8 hours in the last two days for the first time long time.

Still no helicopter, when was that supposed to happen, 2 years ago?

I still have a memory leak in my client, cool?

How's the end game area you need hazmat gear for coming?

Nice to see they added Santa beards and gift boxes though? **eye roll**

At least now I  can wander around and do the OCD stuff that I think is fun without some tool shooting me for my pumpkin seeds without any foreplay like they're playing COD or Fortnight.

• Beans 1

How hard is it to figure out which post to follow?  Old ones get locked new ones are at the top.  What's the issue here?

So you'd rather sift through 30+ pages of one thread trying to find the most relevant patch notes? 

Edited by Guy Smiley

10 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

How hard is it to figure out which post to follow?  Old ones get locked new ones are at the top.  What's the issue here?

So you'd rather sift through 30+ pages of one thread trying to find the most relevant patch notes? 

Because, if you don't read the forums every day it ends up with 30 separate posts saying the exact same thing,  the minute version changes are redundant.

Yes I speed read and would personally would rather read 100-200 consecutive pages than go back and forth through 20 five page posts about the same shit over and over.

Not that my opinion counts or anything but if something pisses me off I at least get some form of joy from harping on it?

24 minutes ago, No One With That Name said:

There is persistence on the server. At least until now. Received on update today and the game no longer starts.

Keep getting a "Connection Failed" error.

Me too, I'm on exp, tried switching to stable to see if I could play that until they give us the new server files.

It downloaded and cancelled itself and is trying again, WTF?

Form the patch notes.

"Today's update will also enable the Experimental branch for the Server Files. We will have additional communication on the changes this brings shortly."

Whatever that means, I think you could use the EXP client on your own server because both versions were the same.

Four years in I get nervous when they say they're working on it type stuff.

Edited by BCBasher