Seen it All

Time to Kill

One shot to head and vital spots. That's about it.

This is not cod, halo, destiny, etc. There is no TTK.

Ballistic vest and helmets reduce bullet damage. That's about it.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

I personally, can confirm that two shots to the chest from a AKM will kill an unarmored target at 300 meters.

There is however a number of factors that govern bullet damage 

Caliber (size)
The larger the caliber, the bigger the wound. The size of your projectile should be appropriate for your target. Small caliber for unarmored targets, Large caliber for a good chance against anything stronger than a press vest. The ammo types ranging from smallest to largest are:

9x9mm, .380 Auto, .45 ACP, 12 gauge buckshot, 12 gauge slug, 7.62/39mm, 5.56mm, 7.62/54mm,

Distance
Bullets lose their velocity at long ranges. Smaller calibers more than others. Taking much longer to hit the target, increasing bullet drop and reducing it's power when it hits. 

Bullet penetration 
Shooting through objects. Body armor, walls, doors tree's, etc. will greatly reduce your bullets velocity and can change the direction your bullet is traveling.

(Shooting a Plate Carrier with a pistol is like throwing a grape at it.)

Hit placement
Aim for the kill. A headshot is always the most effective and will instantly kill with a large caliber bullet. The second best option is left side, chest, spine and heart.  A shot to the lung or stomach will wound and may quickly kill your target. Though a shot to the arms or legs (until crippling limbs is implemented) Doesn't do much but draw blood and hinder moment

If I had to speculate I'd say 2-5 rounds of pistol ammo aimed at the chest would kill an unarmored target at point plank (25m)

2-3 rounds of AR ammo aimed at the chest could kill a lightly armored target from up to 400m. If not further.

Now 7.62/54mm. 1-2 shots can kill an armored target from a very long distance (1km) given the bullet penetrates the chest or you manage to hit 2 times. 

This is a lot to think about when you're about to pull the trigger. Its usually better not to shoot at all. But If you must, ALWAYS Double check your range/fire mode and always fire multiple shots to compensate for hit detection/bad placement.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

All helmets in the game can take two shots from high caliber weapons before they break and offer no more protection. 

That is what we tested so far... 

14 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

All helmets in the game can take two shots from high caliber weapons before they break and offer no more protection. 

That is what we tested so far... 

man I wish I had my clip to show where I one tapped a guy wearing assault helmet with BK-13

On 1/31/2019 at 11:06 PM, nikoor said:

man I wish I had my clip to show where I one tapped a guy wearing assault helmet with BK-13

He must have been hurt/bleeding or his helmet was already damaged. Or maybe they changed the damaged in these later patches.... 

What do i know 

3 hours ago, bent.toe said:

He must have been hurt/bleeding or his helmet was already damaged. Or maybe they changed the damaged in these later patches.... 

What do i know 

He was logging out when I killed him, server hopper they say. Did not hesitate a second. 

8 hours ago, bent.toe said:

What do i know

" You know Nothing, bent.snoe "

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Haha 3
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, nikoor said:

He was logging out when I killed him, server hopper they say. Did not hesitate a second. 

So he was sitting down and you walked up and shot him. Skills. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bent.toe said:

So he was sitting down and you walked up and shot him. Skills. 

Yes I did not hesitate a second, he got what he deserved tbh if you don't think so you'd propably want to find a new game since dayz isn't for you

5 hours ago, nikoor said:

he got what he deserved tbh if you don't think so you'd propably want to find a new game since dayz isn't for you

Can you really blame people at this point for hopping?

Blame BI for not giving us private and or character locked servers.

Easy fix = character locked servers. Problem solved.

P.S. get off that high horse.

• Beans 4

37 minutes ago, Man Parts 241 said:

Can you really blame people at this point for hopping?

Blame BI for not giving us private and or character locked servers.

P.S. get off that high horse.

I like my horse and neither of us need to server hop, no matter what. Sure I did it within the 1st month the game was out but not since. I've grown into the game and I prefer playing it how it's supposed to be played, if I don't find a rifle on my way to tisy and back then bohoo? I like to start over every other day. Next time let me know and I'll give you all my hard earned gear and start over so you don't need to server hop.

If I've traveled around all the bases and a guy tries to log out with the stuff that would've belonged to me you really think I'd let him go?

Edited by nikoor
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 2

48 minutes ago, Man Parts 241 said:

I am 100% against this. You want to play on a locked server, always the same people doing the same thing? That's not DayZ. You want to have multiple different characters to play on multiple locked servers? That's not DayZ.  There are plenty games that do this - go find one. DayZ is a WORLDWIDE game. Designed as - MEANT to be. If that makes you feel UNSAFE and INSECURE then you just don't have what it takes to be a survivor. Find a Battle Royal somewhere.  >
Hopping and duping will be fixed. A software solution will be implemented.
It won't ever be fixed if you ISOLATIONISTS turn DayZ into little private clans of friends "playing" pretend PvP and sitting round the same SAFE campfire forever.

NOTE - this is OFF Topic. So - Back on topic, OK ?

@-Gews-is the ONE who can tell you about bullet impact and damage, in total detail.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, nikoor said:

I like my horse and neither of us need to server hop, no matter what. Sure I did it within the 1st month the game was out 

If I've traveled around all the bases and a guy tries to log out with the stuff that would've belonged to me you really think I'd let him go?

Lol

Belonged to you? Lol

56 minutes ago, Man Parts 241 said:

Lol

Belonged to you? Lol

Yes. I knew you would say that. 

All of these personal jabs... I kind of regret logging into this forum at times. But to the OP, higher caliber weapons (SVD, Mosin, AKM and M4) have the best chance of killing or maiming a target at close, medium or long range. Head-shots are preferable, but as some have stated, headgear does absorb some damage if your target is wearing it. A "one-shot kill" is pretty much a head-shot on a nugget with a higher caliber weapon on a target without any headgear that isn't more resistant than cloth at most ranges.

Edited by Molecular Drift 1.0
Fix
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 7:04 AM, pilgrim* said:

I am 100% against this. You want to play on a locked server, always the same people doing the same thing? That's not DayZ. You want to have multiple different characters to play on multiple locked servers? That's not DayZ. 

#1 you’re totally thinking of the idea of “locked servers” totally incorrectly.

What people mean by ‘private/character/locked servers’ is that it would run basically pretty much the same as how the servers run now - you go to the browser and pick which server you want to join. The only think that changes is that EACH server has a SEPERATE character saved to that server. So in the beginning, you’d spawn fresh on the coast with each first time you play each server. And the character stays on that server.

So on US 4425 you spawn fresh and you go and play and loot until you’re super geared and now you’re in a firefight and you decide you want to combat log/ghost/etc.

You decide to exit the server, and go back to the browser and log in to US 4422. When you log in - you’re now on the coast as a bambi. The only way to get back to that character before would be to go back to 4425 - the character with that gear is LOCKED to that server. If you want to stay on 4422, you’ll have to keep playing as the freshie. And so on and so forth.

This cuts out duping, ghosting, and server hopping for loot.

So it’s possible to have a fully geared character on one server, and a DIFFERENT fully geared person at another server, but you can’t keep the same geared players on both. These seperate characters would almost always be in seperate locations anyways. Your 4425 character is at NWAF but the 4422 character is at Kamy. And each server will have different other players each in different locations, so you’ll never know who’s where.

It wouldn’t be the same people playing in a closed off world, there’d always be different people, but to say that “it’s not DayZ to have multiple space-time-continuum’s and different universes where the player can play as different people”, if that was the truth and there was only one instance of “the world” to be played in and everyone should be only on a single sandbox playground - you’re describing what would be a single server for every single player to be on all at the same time (like reality actually is) and there wouldn’t be a server browser at all, you’d just click play and it would connect you.

Edited by wh1skey_
  • Beans 1

16 minutes ago, wh1skey_ said:

The only think that changes is that EACH server has a SEPERATE character saved to that server

I totally got that totally and I am totally against it totally for the reasons I totally gave.

- are you... MAYBE (??) suggesting that each time you log in to a locked server you are given a RANDOM locked server so that you DON'T meet the same people? .. the same people who always log in to ONE SAME locked server to play their LOCKED character on that server?   Because if anyone has worked on a character on  ONE server,  they will sure as hell go back there to continue with that character - and so will all the other folk who have a character on that server. And sure as hell you will get to know them one way or another..just on that one server.

And this already happens on PC with private shard servers - OK? - PC players know exactly how this works out. It's not a new experimental suggestion for PC. Private (locked) servers AND public servers have been around for YEARS on PC. The different game styles that come from them is well known.   Ask any PC player.
Private locked servers  (your suggestion for Xbox)  : On PC some folk love it & some folk don't - Personally I don't  (er.. see my last post where I TOTALLY explain why.)
  I like to have ONE character and IRL WORLDWIDE planetary freedom to meet and face and interact with a Worldwide Community of DayZ players, just wearing my ONE skin, ME, one Tune  - In THAT skin I live until I die. And DayZ can take me anywhere across the world where I CAN live or I die. = Real LOT of people to meet, dude, on the planet.  Different habits, languages, attitudes, clans, psychos, solos, backwoods-folk, city folk, sheriffs, robbers, hoppers, sick, farmers, snipers, killers, hunters, friends, cannibals..
hey - I've played with a sheet of useful DayZ phrases in Russian by the keyboard  .. know what I mean? That was still ME wearing the same Tune still trying to survive.

OK - Each to their own - on PC there is the free choice of "private (locked) servers"  or "open public servers" . That would be great for Xbox too IMO. But  = CHOICE =  is the answer.

As I said earlier :

Hopping and duping will be fixed. A software solution will be implemented.

Afterwards, when hopping and duping are fixed,  there will still be folk who want locked servers and like the play-styles they can develop in a locked environment , and there will still be folk who want freedom and taking their Tune off far anywhere into the total unknown..

• Sad 1

On 2/3/2019 at 1:19 PM, Man Parts 241 said:

The developers see this as a possible solution. They have not decided yet what they do.

50 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Because if anyone has worked on a character on  ONE server,  they will sure as hell go back there to continue with that character - and so will all the other folk who have a character on that server. And sure as hell you will get to know them one way or another..just on that one server.

Yes. It leads to encounters that matter. The player you see could be the nice guy from a week ago? Maybe it is the asshole from yesterday.

On your "prefered" servers you encounter people with no ongoing story, with no past, with no future. Each time you connect it is a random world with no past and no future.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, pilgrim* said:

DayZ is a WORLDWIDE game.

And? What was the point? Would that change? Not that hard to connect on another server.

A bit exaggerated example...

No hive server:

Hive Server:

Watch a dayz kill compilation video.

Edited by ImageCtrl
  • Beans 2

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I like to have ONE character and IRL WORLDWIDE planetary freedom to meet and face and interact with a Worldwide Community of DayZ players, just wearing my ONE skin, ME, one Tune  - In THAT skin I live until I die. And DayZ can take me anywhere across the world where I CAN live or I die. = Real LOT of people to meet, dude, on the planet.  Different habits, languages, attitudes, clans, psychos, solos, backwoods-folk, city folk, sheriffs, robbers, hoppers, sick, farmers, snipers, killers, hunters, friends, cannibals..
DayZ is a WORLDWIDE game.

2 hours ago, ImageCtrl said:

And? What was the point? Would that change? Not that hard to connect on another server. 

Are we going round in circles again? - I play ONE character until that character dies - that's my CHOICE - on open servers there are THOUSANDS of players I can meet with my ONE tune. I have ZERO interest in having to keep a checklist of a dozen or more characters on a dozen or more different locked servers, and remembering where those different characters are (all  me?) , or what they are doing, how they are equipped, or what's going on on THAT server.. Where's the IMMERSION in having 10 characters? .. that seems pretty DUMB and BORING to me, as if I'm AFRAID to play ONLY ONE character to the DEATH - a character I put effort and skill and MYSELF and experience into - all the way across 100 servers against anything and anyone I meet.

WHY is this SO BLOODY DIFFICULT  to understand ? 

I have NO BEEF with private server players.. like I have NO beef with 1pp or 3pp - DayZ lets ME.. AND them .. go their own way, choose their own path.  You somehow seem to be telling me  I'm the WRONG religion or wrong sex or wrong color ? No, I aint.  All blood's the same color, dude - my blood is solo and open spaces and strange places..  That's all.

I think freedom to CHOOSE between closed "locked" servers and open public servers is A GOOD THING.  Maybe a NECESSARY thing.  I hope players get this CHOICE on Xbox. It WORKS on PC. - 100% private locked servers on PC would be a total disaster. ASK AROUND   <good grief>   You ImageContrl have read the PC threads, you have been around since the start. You KNOW some folk like their closed private clans, some folk like and NEED their right to MOVE in their own SKIN to different servers.  That's a good balance to suite different players.

If you expect your tune will only last a couple of hours (one play session) then it makes NO difference WHICH locked server you log on.  BUT if your tune is something you VALUE and IDENTIFY with then you may find that always being on ONE server limits you to a few players who are regularly on that ONE server. If by cunning and skill and luck you are in the same skin for QUITE a WHILE you might easily want to move away from the half dozen same-same players who are doing the same cr@p on the same server every night. But you cant if you're locked in. Depends how much you identify with your tune, doesn't it ? & Depends how independent you are ?

Some players LIKE that a lot, to always hang with the mainly-same known players  - but I personally DO NOT GET A BIG KICK OUT OF LOCKED SERVERS AND the SAME FEW FOLK  - I find that too SMALL when there's so much else outside (personal taste, OK?)  I and my tune LIKE my tune's FREEDOM to ROAM and meet players who are totally Unknown and even speak different languages and have REALLY different play-styles..
Try it box players, when the Xbox game matures a little, you'd be amazed. I had a conversation with a Japanese lady who was in her office on the seventh floor in Osaka and I was in a stone shack in the French Mountains. We sat on a beach on SOME server somewhere and we talked about who we really were. That was cool. - Then I moved on. Week later I was fighting in Moscow.
(hard to understand, hu?)

If you want to PvP and expect to die in 10mins, that's fine by me, it doesn't matter if the server is LOCKED if you're not aiming to survive, OR if you want to play safe and expected  = Enjoy.
You want to try to survive through as many different situations and different players, clans, groups, attitudes and etc etc  etc.. then YOU wearing your one SINGLE tune have 100 servers to chose from every night and you move between them when you finally get the urge to. Good server I used to drop in a lot, in the early days in Oman.. they were all helicopter freaks and we traded weapons and medicines and jokes, good people, sometimes tricky (kind of Tatooine, ya know?)   .. and you can try to EXPLORE, check them out, MEET radically new and different players.. WHY limit yourself to one server and then either dump your tune or top yourself (never go back or just leave the character forgotten) just so you can newspawn in the next server and see if there are different and interesting players there ??  Sounds like you don't have much identification with your game-skin in THAT locked DayZ..  Identification gives you paranoia and victory & care and skills and serious drama and satisfaction and a death you REMEMBER.. THAT'S worth playing IMO (ONLY IMO - are you getting this?)

So THAT IS THE POINT, in answer to your question "what is the point?"   Which I explained TWICE before you asked it, guess you noticed?

Now I've said it three times. AND this = CHOICE = of play-styles is WHY we have private shard (locked) servers AND public (open) servers on PC.  

Did I say that before?   - well DANG, SHOOT ME DEAD ! - I did say that before.. twice now.  And this is the THIRD time.

Can you folk even read ? If you can read you GOT THE POINT now ?  IMO = Don't  limit yourselves.

xxP

- thanx for your time.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

I was not expecting such wall of text.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, pilgrim* said:

I am 100% against this.

^^I do not argue against this point.

My point was that even without a hive you see people from around the world. A non hive server do not prevent japanese girls to join that server.
Your main argument is that you can change your environment when ever you want.

Your two stories are not "exclusive hive" stories. They fit also to non hive servers.
Your assumption that without a hive you would have repetitive gameplay is wrong. Your assumption that without a hive you would turn DayZ into little private clans of friends "playing" pretend PvP and sitting round the same SAFE campfire forever is wrong.
Your assumption that Battle Royal has anything to do with this discussion is wrong. How you bring the word "afraid" into this discussion is missleading. Looting on empty servers fits to that word. But that would be an argument against the hive.
I do not understand why you focus that much on "wearing the same Tune". It matters on non hive servers. On hive servers you are most likely only a random guy.

Don't get me wrong, there are good arguments for a hive.

A good argument would be "twitch". For "twitch" players it is important.

A good argument would be "many players are against removing the hive." That is also a good argument.

Edited by ImageCtrl
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, ImageCtrl said:

A non hive server do not prevent japanese girls to join that server.

Players who have a character on a server tend to continue in THAT character, it's the obvious and easy thing to do when you log in, go to the skin you already have
Obviously
If that skin is locked into one server you will tend to continue on that one server
Obviously
Everyone who happens to start on that one server will tend to do the same, and continue with the character they built - locked on that one server
Obviously
Everybody does this - even on public servers, players tend to come back to their habitual server .. there are a couple of servers with good ping or good action - they hang out there often

BUT - they DO HAVE a choice.  They don't HAVE to DIE to go somewhere else.

Hey - your private locked server, whichever you choose, might be a total PARADISE for DayZ players . why not - I can believe that, sure.. A Really Really GREAT Place.
..  Just for ME it is NOT a Paradise if I myself, in MY SKIN with my hat on my head,  can't walk OUT of it when I want to.

This is the way I am..
Now : Are you saying that YOU judge me unsuitable to play DayZ ??
Should I be STOPPED?
Am I a danger to DayZ?

You have a style of play, I guess.  have NO problem with your style of play.

Nothing is - "EXCLUSIVE" -   So, log in to play the game, either on private or public hives, or play 1pp or 3pp, or play with a controller or a keyboard, or play vanilla or Mod ..  sooner or later there will be servers for EACH of these possibilities for everyone I HOPE .
The only  "exclusive" that I notice - meaning to EXCLUDE - is when one kind of honest player starts to tell the other kind of honest player that they are wrong, evil, possessed by Satan, aliens,  in the terrible grip of extraterrestrials, twisted by propaganda, , infested by mind worms, poisoned by wrong-thought, and have to be burned at the stake, or STOPPED in SOME way AT ALL COSTS, even if it means taking their servers and their freedom away from them.

Everyone knows hopping is an exploit - But going to a server where locals speak Romanian is NOT AN EXPLOIT

I don't understand why you want to take away my right to do that?    Do you have freedom of movement where you come from?
xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
Full 100% character-locked servers is a very poor solution

On 2/9/2019 at 8:23 AM, wh1skey_ said:

What people mean by ‘private/character/locked servers’ is that it would run basically pretty much the same as how the servers run now - you go to the browser and pick which server you want to join. The only think that changes is that EACH server has a SEPERATE character saved to that server. So in the beginning, you’d spawn fresh on the coast with each first time you play each server. And the character stays on that server.

So on US 4425 you spawn fresh and you go and play and loot until you’re super geared and now you’re in a firefight and you decide you want to combat log/ghost/etc.

You decide to exit the server, and go back to the browser and log in to US 4422. When you log in - you’re now on the coast as a bambi. The only way to get back to that character before would be to go back to 4425 - the character with that gear is LOCKED to that server. If you want to stay on 4422, you’ll have to keep playing as the freshie. And so on and so forth.

This cuts out duping, ghosting, and server hopping for loot.

So it’s possible to have a fully geared character on one server, and a DIFFERENT fully geared person at another server, but you can’t keep the same geared players on both. These seperate characters would almost always be in seperate locations anyways. Your 4425 character is at NWAF but the 4422 character is at Kamy. And each server will have different other players each in different locations, so you’ll never know who’s where.

It wouldn’t be the same people playing in a closed off world, there’d always be different people, but to say that “it’s not DayZ to have multiple space-time-continuum’s and different universes where the player can play as different people”, if that was the truth and there was only one instance of “the world” to be played in and everyone should be only on a single sandbox playground - you’re describing what would be a single server for every single player to be on all at the same time (like reality actually is) and there wouldn’t be a server browser at all, you’d just click play and it would connect you.

I'm assuming pilgrim quoted me with some dumbass response about this and that not being Day Z. Amirite?

I've been ignored pilgrim,  so I can't see their post. I suggest you do the same lol.

• Beans 1

51 minutes ago, Man Parts 241 said:

I'm assuming pilgrim quoted me with some dumbass response about this and that not being Day Z. Amirite?

I've been ignored pilgrim,  so I can't see their post. I suggest you do the same lol.

You are incorrect, lol.

• Haha 1