Sign in to follow this  
Badlywrapdkebab

Use a Torch or Run Around in the Dark

I'd be interested to know what other players do at night (assuming you don't just log out). Until now I've been using torches or the road flare at night but my experiences today have left me questioning if that's what others do.

First I was looting a house as a fairly fresh spawn. I'd seen the sun was setting when I joined the server so I made sure I had a crafted torch ready with plenty of rags but at this stage my road flare was still going strong. As I exited the house I heard a voice from the shadows. "That's far enough." My sphincter closed tight just in time to stop any poop escaping. After a quick interrogation it turned out this guy was cool and we had a chat. I asked him if he just walks around in the dark or does he use a torch and he said he walks around in the dark because others can see your light source from miles away (obviously this is how he found me). I knew this but explained that wondering around in the pitch black was just no fun. Up until this point I'd always assumed that anyone playing at night would use some sort of light source. After all it's the way I play and this was the first time anyone had ever approached me at night.

Later I was on a different server and it was night again. This time I already had a working head torch which I prefer because you can still use a weapon - easier to deal with zombies (I just wish there was a key binding to turn it on and off). Anyway I was running across some fields heading towards Gorka when I saw a faint light source in the distance. I turned off my head torch and headed towards the light. As I approached the light went out but I could hear a fireplace crackling. Crouching with Mosin in hand I crept around what I thought was a wall, stumbling into unknown objects and getting generally disoriented. Eventually I realised I was outside one of those small power plant buildings with a red door and raised platform outside. I could hear a hissing road flare as well as the crackling fireplace. I crept around to the windows at the end of the building and could see a glow stick on the floor inside. Whoever was in there had some lovely atmospheric lighting going on. Then my sphincter clenched again as I saw the silhouette of a survivor, crouched with gun in hand creeping around the doorway. He'd obviously heard my footsteps outside and now he was facing me just the other side of the window. I hesitated then fired. I'm sure he hadn't seen me crouched in the shadows but I couldn't take the risk.

I've played over 300 hours of DayZ and this is my first cold blooded murder. It left me feeling cold inside. I should have tried talking to the guy but then who knows what might have happened and he knew someone was outside but didn't speak up. Anyway the point is it was his light sources that led to his demise. I'd seen it from hundreds of meters away, probably when he had the door open to the shed and it led me right to him. It just made me realise how vulnerable you are when you use torches etc. It was also the most chilling and realistic feeling experience I have had in DayZ yet.

• Beans 2

One thing you might like to know is to keep your eyes open for the head lamp with the green strap... or at least green highlights. It's the one with the red light... not visible from as long a distance.

• Thanks 1

Well, I quit playing a few weeks ago, because I got tired of dying nearly exclusively from getting stuck in door hinges while fleeing zombies...

But before that, I would very commonly use glowsticks to loot, as they can only be seen from a short distance away; </=50m IRRC.  In this manner, if someone was close enough to see your glow, you would have a good chance to hear their steps, or at least any aggro they caused. In any case, keeping it hotkeyed, allows you to "go dark" in an instant.
If it was a clear night, I would almost exclusively run in the dark with my eyes on the sky for navigation, with some exceptions in steep or rocky areas. The standard flashlight was another favorite, both for the quality of light and immediate control over shutting it off, and the fair amount of punch it packs against infected.

I would only use flares when traveling alone through dense woods during the darkest part of night, when I had no intentions of stopping.  And occasionally I would use a flare to help with meeting up with a friend; we would then abandon the flare for safety, as two players generally travel slower than just one.

Think about the term flare, and what it means, what they are traditionally used for, and you will understand the best use of them in DayZ.  Next time someone tries to kill you at night, and you escape to a safe distance and break contact, try using your flare as bait and see how it works out.  Better than 50/50, like a moth to a flame...

Edited by emuthreat
  • Beans 1

2 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Well, I quit playing a few weeks ago, because I got tired of dying nearly exclusively from getting stuck in door hinges while fleeing zombies...

But before that, I would very commonly use glowsticks to loot, as they can only be seen from a short distance away; </=50m IRRC.  In this manner, if someone was close enough to see your glow, you would have a good chance to hear their steps, or at least any aggro they caused. In any case, keeping it hotkeyed, allows you to "go dark" in an instant.
If it was a clear night, I would almost exclusively run in the dark with my eyes on the sky for navigation, with some exceptions in steep or rocky areas. The standard flashlight was another favorite, both for the quality of light and immediate control over shutting it off, and the fair amount of punch it packs against infected.

I would only use flares when traveling alone through dense woods during the darkest part of night, when I had no intentions of stopping.  And occasionally I would use a flare to help with meeting up with a friend; we would then abandon the flare for safety, as two players generally travel slower than just one.

Think about the term flare, and what it means, what they are traditionally used for, and you will understand the best use of them in DayZ.  Next time someone tries to kill you at night, and you escape to a safe distance and break contact, try using your flare as bait and see how it works out.  Better than 50/50, like a moth to a flame...

EMU! You're back!

I'm not back until persistence is fixed, and doors no longer trap players when opened and closed quickly. @eno

1 minute ago, emuthreat said:

I'm not back until persistence is fixed, and doors no longer trap players when opened and closed quickly. @eno

Harumph. 

Well the helpy helpers will be waiting patiently for your return. Judging by what I've read so far I'll see you next year sometime lol. 

• Haha 1

I use a flashlight and turn it on only when I need it to loot or navigate, but keep it turned off whenever possible (such as when crafting or organizing my inventory, or walking along a road at night).

• Thanks 1

Well I'm gonna keep using whatever light source I can get hold of. It may attract other players but I say bring it on :-) I spend too long wondering the wastelands by myself anyway and I've committed suicide way more times than I've been killed by other players.

I always used to play the official servers but I like to play 1pp. There's only a few official 1pp only servers local to me (UK) with a good ping and they tend to be low population especially at night. Recently I've been playing on the TheRunningManZ 1pp server which has higher pop'.

I don't hang out in one part of the map but I tend to avoid the NWAF. I should probably head up there when I get bored instead of hitting F11.