Sign in to follow this  
eno

Microstuttering... still a “sign?”

Used to be that these stutters indicated a player entering a network bubble about 1.6 km from you... it was like a handshake between clients saying “honey, I’m home!”  I don’t recall the exact distance- but since I started DayZ again I’m experiencing these stutters AND subsequently running into characters at an undeniably frequent rate. 

Sure- could still just be a total coincidence... but I’m thinking no. 

Anyone else experiencing these stutters and have a tangible alternate explanation?

Let’s leave my system out of it since I’m driving an i7 6700k at 4.2ghz, a 1080ti with 16GB of RAM and running the game off an m.2 nvme with a solid internet connection. 

No way I can tell, it still makes me suspicious though. Today I was running west along the train tracks from Novaya Petrovka. Had a big stutter. Immediately spun my head around in all directions. Didn't see anyone—but maybe 3-4 minutes later, as I was running though the forest from the tracks up to Devil's Castle, there through the trees appeared two players not 100 m in front of me. So, like I said, it still makes me suspicious.

Y1dpUyx.png

Edited by -Gews-

I might be wrong but I think they said they fixed it in the new patch notes, saying that I have not read the notes again before typing this reply but so i could be wrong

I have sudden stutters even if i am alone on a server, and even if that server runs from a ramdisk on a beasty machine in the local area network.

On the other hand I had encounters, where the other player popped up out of nowhere, and my experience was totally lag free.

So I bet on no.

I more likely assume, they send data bursts, as it usually coincides with e.g. getting closer to towns.

However, that weird feeling, someone is watching you... is usually true.

4 minutes ago, g4borg said:

I have sudden stutters even if i am alone on a server, and even if that server runs from a ramdisk on a beasty machine in the local area network.

On the other hand I had encounters, where the other player popped up out of nowhere, and my experience was totally lag free.

So I bet on no.

I more likely assume, they send data bursts, as it usually coincides with e.g. getting closer to towns.

However, that weird feeling, someone is watching you... is usually true.

I will say The stutters also used to indicate zombies being activated or spawned into some areas... which may still be true but like you said maybe it’s nothing. 

Another one

I also encounter this micro-stuttering when the weather is changing abruptly. Might be the change in view range?

I get it pretty badly - especially when I've been in-game for more than a couple of hours. It screws up the speed of my whole puter as well. So I usually have to restart. 

That cures it, but not very comfortable. 

1 hour ago, argh said:

Another one

I also encounter this micro-stuttering when the weather is changing abruptly. Might be the change in view range?

This.  I've also noticed a slight stutter seems to be caused by time change.  As it starts to get darker or lighter it has a micro stutter every time it starts to fade into night or brighten into day

@Guy Smiley @eno @argh Same here. Both weather change and getting darker or lighter but also going through to new places on the map. I only have 8 gigs of RAM and not being able to play on SSD currently.

They say they fixed it, but no one can be sure about player-lag network bubble thing, because it still was a big bubble. The damage is done - no one forgets the player lag ever :D

2 hours ago, argh said:

Another one

I "also" get it from the weather- particularly when it goes from blustery to no wind and back again. This is entirely separate, however, from the stuttering I'm talking about. 

2 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

Not sure 'micro' is the right word in my case. Almost unplayable...

It was REALLY stuttering today for me... this morning anyway. Just general graphic stuttering that wouldn’t go away. Related to your issue? Maybe?

was it today or all the time?

9 hours ago, eno said:

It was REALLY stuttering today for me... this morning anyway. Just general graphic stuttering that wouldn’t go away. Related to your issue? Maybe?

was it today or all the time?

It happens whenever I'm in the game for more than around a couple of hours, and has been that way since .63.  I've just got used to restarting as part of the sheer masochism of DayZ…

My rig is pretty good - played 0.62 like butter. 

It doesn't seem to be related to Zs, weather, players or any other factor. 

While paying a bit more attention to this and playing with a few friends we've definitely found a few different types of in game stutters. 

Graphical: These are continuous, long term slideshow style glitches that are confusing but generally resolved with a restart or after a couple of minutes. The fact that I get these is amazing to me but there we are. These aren't frequent but do happen enough to get mentioned...

Server Network: If all players, no matter how spread out, get a sizable short term hiccup (not weather related). These happen at a rate of about once every 5 minutes or so... so not incredibly prevalent but certainly noticeable. 

Weather: Any significant change in wind / weather effect seems to impact anyone in range of said effects. Occur particularly with the introduction or removal of wind effect. There's also a weird but brief screen flicker that occurs regularly as it starts to get dark. 

Intermittent hiccup through players: Network handshake of some sort between either zombie spawns or player network bubble interactions.