Sign in to follow this  
MadVuja

Zombie Hords + More Zombies

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so i would like to take this opportunity to greet you all, and to say what a fine game DayZ is...i enjoy playing it, immersively or "arcadishly" :)

I have been thinking about how cool it would be, if from time to time there would be a giant massive horde of zombies, traveling throughout the map, spawning randomly on different places, or maybe even not spawning but gathering on some part of the map. It could be a daily event, or weekly.  Maybe even create a spot to defend against it. I think it would spark the player cooperation, and it would also be quite immersive. It would also give a daily goal to players, or something like that.

Also, a lot more zombies would be nice in standard Standalone, the game would feel much more dangerous and the player would have to play more carefully.

Anyway, i am a looong internship games player, and i have to say it to you, this game is awsome. Love it.

Stay safe.

lot of servers have hordes actually, including ours.

it was one of the first scripts to arrive actually :)

more zombies is another thing however. to be honest, the main reason zombies get dangerous is when they group up on you, and it can happen anytime anywhere in the wrong situation, and all they actually really need to get super dangerous is the ability to open doors...

Edited by g4borg

8 hours ago, g4borg said:

more zombies is another thing however. to be honest, the main reason zombies get dangerous is when they group up on you, and it can happen anytime anywhere in the wrong situation, and all they actually really need to get super dangerous is the ability to open doors...

The problem with this idea is that zombies can make you bleed, stun lock you if you're being hit by two or more of them and continue attacking you when you are unconscious.  If they could open doors as well, you might as well just stand there and let them kill you.  You need to able to escape/hide from them somehow in order to bandage and recover.

I actually do like the idea, but something would have to give to balance it -- perhaps they can open doors, but not as easily as we can, so it takes them a few seconds to actually "figure it out" before the door opens and they're on you again.  I would also like to see a switch back to the way it used to be -- when you fall unconscious, they back off.  So, if you've temporarily escaped from them by entering a house and they manage to open the doors and whack you into unconsciousness, they then exit the building through the same door and when you hopefully wake up again, you can bandage, heal and hopefully escape.

Something like that would work, but just adding the ability to open doors without tweaking anything else about them would be too OP, I think.

I honestly dont like the idea of a zombie having enough brains to understand how to open the door :) But on the other hand, how about breakable doors?

If a zombie(or enough zombies) start pushing or hitting the doors, they could break, thus opening a way in for them to come inside. The doors should respawn after some time, as loot does. I really like the idea of a house or a building, surrounded by zombies.

Because of 2 things:

1. The survivor should never get him/herslef in that situation, and that requires planing and wits while playing. Distractions methods also.

2. Being held like a prisoner inside a building, with no way out, using your radio to call for help, is exactly what this type of games should be :) Its just my subjective opinion :)

well actually you can hide until they let go. it is just not so easy, since they follow your player object, and not just the last position they saw you - which is probably due to efficiency.

it is different if they follow a sound, then they actually move to the position the sound came from which attracted them.

but yes, of course, i did not mean, they just casually open the door. instead, they should bash against doors, and especially, if they "get stuck" in front of a door, manage to open it after a while - by basicly bashing it in.

this would of course depend on the door.

i personally would give them a value for agitation, instead of just 3 states, and the more agitated they are (E.g. you make lots of noise, etc.) the more likely it is for them to bash against a door, and open it eventually, while others might just let go, like they do right now.

stopping attacking you if you are down sounds a bit weird for a zombie. instead, they should switch to eating-mode. but the new damage system isn't superb imho, bleeding is usually not a problem, except you are out of rags, then it most likely can be fatal.

Edited by g4borg

atm. you can just kill them one by one by opening the door shortly, and they let go of you if you are out of sight long enough, so being surrounded in a building is not really a thing. especially in late game if you got ammo, it is easy to just kill them through windows.

it is a matter of game experience.

zombies are almost 0 threat if you do it right usually. it is the "i overestimated the situation" kinda thing which gets you killed. or players. or the environment.

zombies are almost 0 threat if you do it right usually. it is the "i overestimated the situation" kinda thing which gets you killed. or players. or the environment.

This was exactly my point when i started the tread. I've been playing for 2 weeks now(never played dayz before), and i got shot twice, and not by skill of the other player, but because of my stupid benevolence :) I was tricked into thinking that there are more roleplay players, and not "shoot on sight" playes. But dont get me wrong, this is awsome, it makes you value ingame friends even more. Other than that, there were not other real dangers for me ingame.

As far as zombies goes, i was killed once by 3 or 4 zombies, that surrounded me. Other than that, i was never under the impression that they pose a real threat for me, and thats just because they really dont. When i suggested hordes and more zombies, i wanted to change that. If there were more zombies, even if they would behave like they do behave now, the core of tge game(zombies) would be much more dangerous, as i think it should be, cause this is postapocaliptic horror survival :)

Now,  just incorporate exsisting PVP in the middle of that setting, BOOM, it rocks! (i rocks now, i agree, but then it would rock even more)!