Derleth

Sprinting and stamina

I finally realised what it is that bugs me so with infinite stamina - you never get out of breath. In 0.62 there was no stamina, but if you sprinted a while you'd get winded and have terrible weapon sway until you caught your breath. That will never happen with the tricks used to disable stamina now, so even after sprinting non-stop for half an hour carrying 25 kilos of gear, you can raise your rifle and instantly have 100% accuracy. That is, to be perfectly honest, horribly unbalanced and terrible gameplay. It should not be possible.

Since disabling stamina is so popular, I'd want the devs to instead enable "Infinite sprinting" as a server-side, optional toggle built into the game, and then remove the possibility to tinker with stamina settings.

So, sprinting would be possible even after you run out of stamina, but you'd be winded and unable to perform other actions requiring stamina (heavy attacks, hold breath etc) until you paused long enough to recover. That way stamina remains a relevant game mechanic without slowing down travel. 

It might require some kind of fatigue system for longer term exhaustion after sustained sprinting, but that's another matter.

• Beans 1

On 1/18/2019 at 12:18 PM, Beavis3D said:

Since disabling stamina is so popular, I'd want the devs to instead enable "Infinite sprinting" as a server-side, optional toggle built into the game, and then remove the possibility to tinker with stamina settings.

Not possible, as we don't want to obstruct modders. There are enough servers with only multiplied stamina values out there and making it "normal or infinite only" would interfere with their free choice of experience. However, modders should be able to only set the stamina-consumption for sprinting to zero, meaning at least infinite heavy attacks and the resulting stun locks wouldn't occur.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 3:44 PM, ImpulZ said:

Not possible, as we don't want to obstruct modders. There are enough servers with only multiplied stamina values out there and making it "normal or infinite only" would interfere with their free choice of experience. However, modders should be able to only set the stamina-consumption for sprinting to zero, meaning at least infinite heavy attacks and the resulting stun locks wouldn't occur.

Allright, thanks @ImpulZ for the answer. I find the current stamina system a little odd to be honest. The maximum stamina pool for exhausting actions (sprinting, melee, holding breath) is reduced by weight carried, and if you carry enough you're blocked from performing said actions. So far soo good. What I find odd is that there are no gradients. As long as you don't pass that magical limit of weight carried, you can run around and jump just as freely as a player not carrying any gear at all (I know there's a slight penalty for double carrying). It would make more sense if sprint speed and distance jumped were gradually decreased, until no longer possible at all. Is this anything you have thought about?

On the same note, do you have any thoughts about implementing some kind of long-term fatigue system?

Thirdly - in 0.62 sprinting was ofc unlimited but when you had sprinted far weapon sway was violent, until you caught your breath. Now on modded servers with unlimited stamina players never get winded, so they can sprint for minutes and then ADS with zero sway in the blink of an eye. This is just wrong and should be looked at.