Sign in to follow this  
DenverDeCoY1

DayZ 1.0 Vehicle tips

My team and I went through about 5-6 vehicles before learning most of the bugs and odd behavior (usually dying in the process). We now have 2 cars working well, and progress getting our third going along with a base. I have always been the "driver" of our group since the DayZMod days of yester year, so I thought I would share what I've learned for those other "drivers" out there who just crave that sweet smell of exhaust fumes and vodka!

Tips for vehicles in DayZ 1.0 - 

1. If the salvageable vehicle appears to be stuck in the ground. DO NOT GET IN, it will snap out of the ground so violently it will likely kill you or shoot you into outer space.

- The only fix I have seen so far is to drive a running vehicle very close to the "bugged" truck, it's important to drive VERY SLOWLY near the bugged vehicle or you can destroy it. Once close enough, it should pop out of the ground and be fine. Do all repairs after this step.

2. If you get in your vehicle and it starts "hopping", "bouncing", "rolling" or "levitating", or any combination of these things, I suggest you exit immediately, if you can. This seems to be caused by server lag and will almost certainly cause major problems. 

- Your best bet here is to wait for a server reset or less peak times as I'm fairly sure this is caused by the server lagging.

3. Avoid driving close to trees or other objects, ESPECIALLY if any of the signs from #2 exist, I sent a car to the moon this way, my character didn't survive.

4. Pretty sure motor oil is useless, at least for now, one of my vehicles has been running for days without ever adding oil.

5. Players can pretty easily destroy the radiator by shooting at you, immobilizing the vehicle until it's replaced.

- If you try to run someone over, know this might be the price you pay (not that I know from experience or anything *cough cough*)

6. Don't drive above 60kph. You can, sure, but with random client hang-ups and moments of server lag, the faster you are going only increases your chances of hitting something and bricking the car.

- If you do crash, try to salvage any car parts you can, because they will otherwise despawn with the crashed car fairly quickly.

7. Use caution when running up to the car, it can launch your character up into the air above it, so far none of us have died from this but we have had some GREAT laughs!

8. Use extreme caution near the edge of the map, If the car rolls off the map (indicated by brush and foliage) it will become stuck.

- We lost 2 cars at the same time driving up the edge of the map, there was a client-freeze that caused loss of control and both vehicles became stuck when they slid off the map border.

9. Most Important - Advise all passengers entering the vehicle that they may die at any moment for any reason, or for no reason at all.

- This will ease the pain (a little) when the inevitable bug kills you, a party member, or all of you.

It's worth noting none of this would be possible without the efforts of my solid team. Thanks to their hard work, I am able to chase my dreams of carting their asses around the wastelands while they gear up like Rambo. I can't imagine securing and maintaining a vehicle without any help.

I will update this if I discover any new things that are worth mentioning! Thanks for reading!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 5

Haha no thanks bud I’ll just wait for a game that’s not broken as FUCK in its 1.0 stage . What a sad pathetic build they gave us , and they are taking all of January off Too XD 

fucking hilariously sad , I wish I had a kushy job in which all important work can be pushed off for personal months of vacation in the middle of turmoil in the office over dev made mistakes and poor game design decisions ... oh and not to mention the cash grabby rushedness of this 1.0 build .

Never have I ever seen so many bad decisions from a respected developer in such a small time period (well I guess we can count blizzard and all of their mishaps , but this is worse IMO cuz blizzard has been dead to me since Starcraft 2).

6 minutes ago, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

Haha no thanks bud I’ll just wait for a game that’s not broken as FUCK in its 1.0 stage . What a sad pathetic build they gave us , and they are taking all of January off Too XD 

fucking hilariously sad , I wish I had a kushy job in which all important work can be pushed off for personal months of vacation in the middle of turmoil in the office over dev made mistakes and poor game design decisions ... oh and not to mention the cash grabby rushedness of this 1.0 build .

Never have I ever seen so many bad decisions from a respected developer in such a small time period (well I guess we can count blizzard and all of their mishaps , but this is worse IMO cuz blizzard has been dead to me since Starcraft 2).

Where does it say that they take all of January off?

• Beans 1

On 1/13/2019 at 9:32 AM, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

I've been enjoying vehicles A LOT! Since getting used to all the bugs and weirdness, they have really allowed me to enjoy the VERY WELL DONE landscape! My team now has 5 cars across different servers and they have all served us very well so far.

New Tip: If your friend disconnects mid ride because he is playing on a potato (like my friend john). It may cause the car to spasm out uncontrollably (See condition #2), I have been able to survive so far by ejecting rapidly.

Edited by DenverDeCoY1
  • Like 1

Pro tip: You don't use a vehicle, you don't decrease your chances of surviving, you also don't become an astronaut. 

On 1/11/2019 at 4:48 PM, DenverDeCoY1 said:

1. If the salvageable vehicle appears to be stuck in the ground. DO NOT GET IN, it will snap out of the ground so violently it will likely kill you or shoot you into outer space.

- The only fix I have seen so far is to drive a running vehicle very close to the "bugged" truck, it's important to drive VERY SLOWLY near the bugged vehicle or you can destroy it. Once close enough, it should pop out of the ground and be fine. Do all repairs after this step.

I've driven cars close to submerged vehicles with varied results (approximately 20 of them).  If they're buried deep and you can't see the wheels, the car will be ruined.  Smoke will billow out of it and have the red dot indicator.  If the car is partially submerged, it will pop out but will leak fuel during operation.  A lot.  Like, you'll have to stop at every other gas station.

2. If you get in your vehicle and it starts "hopping", "bouncing", "rolling" or "levitating", or any combination of these things, I suggest you exit immediately, if you can. This seems to be caused by server lag and will almost certainly cause major problems. 

I always stay in the car, put it in neutral, leave it running, and hold down the brake.  Eventually it will stop and return to the surface of the map.  Haven't died yet this way.  Once it settles, put it in first and tap the gas to move very slowly.  It will usually work itself out.  

6. Don't drive above 60kph

The network bubble is real.  Drive slower in cherno/electro.  Not so much of an issue near Zvir.  

8. Use extreme caution near the edge of the map, If the car rolls off the map (indicated by brush and foliage) it will become stuck.

Yea.  You can't drive off into the debug area like you could before .63.

9. Most Important - Advise all passengers entering the vehicle that they may die at any moment for any reason, or for no reason at all.

Haha.  For sure.  I made up a similar rule:

"If you get distracted by loot and jump out to early, it's your own fault that you died.  Take the door off at your own risk."

Rarely, however, have I seen people die outside of the first couple of times we figured out the submerged ADA issue.

Many times, when the car has a seizure, it only appears to be client-side.  Often passengers see nothing abnormal.

• Beans 1

On 1/13/2019 at 10:32 AM, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

I bet you're a real joy to have around at parties.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

16 hours ago, Parazight said:

I always stay in the car, put it in neutral, leave it running, and hold down the brake.  Eventually it will stop and return to the surface of the map

Nice tip.  Beanz

Edited by pilgrim*

15 hours ago, Parazight said:

I bet you're a real joy to have around at parties.

one day he may even quit whining long enough to get invited to one.  Hopefully if he goes to it he remembers to bring his midol.

17 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

Pro tip: You don't use a vehicle, you don't decrease your chances of surviving, you also don't become an astronaut. 

Ancient Wisdom !    - it's really great to hear from sane DayZ players who ENJOY the game

Anyone remember the old days when you could break a leg if you crawled sideways in a bush?  Or you got crushed to death if you boarded a transport helicopter the wrong way?  Or if you rode a bicycle into the sea it exploded and killed you?

That was = SURVIVAL = 
damn kids have got it too easy

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

On 1/17/2019 at 1:15 PM, Mantasisg said:

Technically, you'd be a cosmonaut, not an astronaut.

• Beans 2

17 hours ago, Parazight said:

Technically, you'd be a cosmonaut, not an astronaut.

You are right, Chernarus is Slavic.

leika_statue.jpg

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 1/17/2019 at 12:15 PM, Mantasisg said:

On 1/18/2019 at 6:04 AM, pilgrim* said:

Ancient Wisdom !    - it's really great to hear from sane DayZ players who ENJOY the game

Anyone remember the old days when you could break a leg if you crawled sideways in a bush?  Or you got crushed to death if you boarded a transport helicopter the wrong way?  Or if you rode a bicycle into the sea it exploded and killed you?

That was = SURVIVAL = 

I would just mention I have probably put over 500 miles on a couple vehicles over the last few weeks and when the server isn't lagging I find them QUITE enjoyable! The driving/shifting mechanics keep it interesting and the map design/scenery in this game is great!

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

On 1/18/2019 at 11:04 PM, pilgrim* said:

Anyone remember the old days when you could break a leg if you crawled sideways in a bush?  
That was = SURVIVAL = 

Yes i member hahaa 

On 1/12/2019 at 8:48 AM, DenverDeCoY1 said:

Yes this is very important especially for how shocked new players will be at the dayz BUG antics 

• Beans 1