Sign in to follow this  
ShallowTech

Progression until death?

I have been around off and on for many years with DayZ. I know that people have suggested this in the past on multiple occasions and I know there was some talk about aging, hair growth, scaring, etc. but I was wondering if there is still something in the works for progression, whether it is beard growth or maybe a slight increase in survival. It would be cool to have something to survive for vs just surviving. 

I know that devs have talked physical changes, such as beard/hair growth, maybe scars or something from battle. These would be really cool and probably make the community a little less KoS, especially on console. However, it would also be cool to have your player become a little bit better at surviving the longer you kept them alive, maybe carry a little more weight, not have to eat as much, sneak up on zombie or animals better, etc. This would be incentive to keep your character alive especially if these stats reset every time your player died!

• Beans 1

As this was one of our main goals for our server early on, and we already had a similar system in the mod, definitely agree. You might be happy to hear, that some hints in the scripts show that they were working already on something. There is experience based functionality, aswell as "softskills", whatever they may be.

I totally agree with this; Anything that makes surviving worth while, without generally giving you an advantage over fresh spawns in terms of fighting was our idea.

Our personal ideas included...:

Definitely lowering food and water usage rate, increasing resistance to infections like cold or even reducing zombie cold rate

Special ideas we wanted to script include also better avoidance of cloth damage in melee fights

Instead however we wanted to increase the time and resources to make fire initially, and reduce them later, or just introduce a fail rate to that action, as well as the result of skinning, etc.

And on long term we also wanted to introduce long term diseases on higher levels, which affect mostly long term residents, which however once cured, give some extra immunity.

Finally there was even talk about changing the type of loot you spawn over time, when scavenging, making it harder to find food and ammo, but easier to find rares over time. This would also make it interesting for endgame chars to loot where fresh spawns are more common.