lolokane

Offline mode projections

Hello, before the release of 1.0 in December we had a working offline mode although it was not persistent.  It was still working for about a day after 1.0 became active then it was removed.  I speak from what I experienced in Steam when I'd right click on Dayz and that was were I used to find the 'play offline' option.  Now it's no longer listed.  It was stated in the time leading up to the release of 1.0 that the offline mode would be worked on and finished.

I'm writing this topic to primarily get an idea of when this will be addressed.  I've waited years for it so I'm not being pushy but I'd like some idea of when; March, July, December?

I have more questions.  Way back like 3 years ago it was said that BEARS would be added but I haven't heard a syllable for a long time.  Will there be bears?

I'd like to mention a hope I have that I don't actually expect but I'd love to see the 'Offline Mode' have a Manager available where I could turn things on and off like Wolves, I hate wolves.

I'm 66 years old and dearly love to scavenge but hate to keep dying.  I can see where multiplayer needs to be simpler but when playing alone who cares if there aren't any wolves.

Thanks very much,

Lolo

Edited by lolokane
spelling
  • Beans 1

They removed it because the offline mode is redundant now. If you want to play offline, you have the possibility to download the server files from Steam and start your own server. Then you can play on your own of with more people at home on your LAN server. Or even have the option to let other people play on it through the internet.

• Like 1

The Offline Mode will no longer be supported from our side, the development focus is on the original online experience.

If you want to have a friendlier experience, we can recommend you to either join a Community Server that encourages Player versus Environment gameplay (PVE) or host your own server (the server files have been published), as mentioned by @IMT.

The creation of servers and mods that are fulfilling individual preferences is still in its early steps and we are working on documentations/samples to make them more accessible.

Bears are currently not a high priority.

• Like 1

Wow, it was Brian Hicks who said it would be supported.  That was 6-8 months ago.  It be cool if it were announced. 

I understand the 'modding' ability.  I was a builder on Neverwinter nights.

It sounds like some fundamentals have changed.  I'd like to clear my head if so.  Before there was a clearly and repeatedly expressed that server operators were outwardly FORBIDDEN to try to circumvent PVP in anyway.  There were open threats of being kicked out for doing so.  SO now this has changed and PVE is accepted by Bohemia? 

Regarding downloading the server files I guess they come with clear setup instructions?  Will that offer a path to play single player remotely inside that application?

Thanks for the responses.  I'll check back tomorrow. 

Thanks again,

Lolo

58 minutes ago, lolokane said:

Before there was a clearly and repeatedly expressed that server operators were outwardly FORBIDDEN to try to circumvent PVP in anyway.  There were open threats of being kicked out for doing so.

The SPs have NEVER taken any interest and never interfered AT ALL with what happens inside any of the game instances they hire out online. It is not in their remit to police any single game instance, they run thousands of instances of hundreds of different games worldwide 24/7. They do not have the manpower, and they NEVER do it, they never have, they are totally NOT INTERESTED.   Probably they comply with CIA requests if they receive them - that's all.

BI cannot interfere with game instances hired by SPs to private individuals, that is a contract between a private individual and the SP run on a third part server hired by the SP. It has nothing to do with BI. Also, of course, BI does not have the remit or the manpower or the right to police thousands of DayZ instances worldwide 24/7. Via Battleye and Steam they can take action against hackers, but not against  in-game actions.

Can you QUOTE and put links to your information source please ? If you have any ?

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

Hey thanks for the reply.  I'm just waking up and later I'll get back to try and read this as well as you wrote it.  Sincerely here, I appreciate all you put into the reply and I'm just saying very soon I'll put that same attention into getting it into my thick skull.  On the surface I think once I do that I'll understand it all.

THANKS! 

Lolo

Ok, I sure have wanted to get back and reply to you.  First thing I am 66 and a half of age and I'm going on memory.  What I think I'm encountering right now I sure wished I'd encountered 4 years ago!  I'll try to let this float around in my mind and  possibly enough of a search string will come up to find something.  What I remember were some servers were white listed that seemed to me to require a detailed registration process which seemed a bit much to me just to play a game.  At that time I was still remembering playing in and building content for a Neverwinter nights mod "Altheria DM Jupiter" and regarding PVP it was a no brainer to regulate in that much older game.  In each area you had the option to set that area as PVP or not.  You could set the whole MOD one way or the other. 

Now after reading your message I'm wondering if perhaps I just happened across some mistaken player who had wrong understandings and expressed them as I just did.  I'd really love to gather a link and supply that but I'd rather just play.

Now I'm faced with being able to set up a server and play alone in there.  This is a sweet option.  I never got a server going with Neverwinter nights.  It was just over my head as a Dayz Server has been over this past weekend.  I do however wish the GANG at BI had followed through and included a playable offline mode as they had said they would just 6 mo back.  AT least if they could have mentioned the change in a NEWS update. 

Oh well.  I'll keep struggling with this server option until I get it figured out.  The .cfg file was fine but I'm still trying to get the launch parameters going.  I didn't have enough room in a short cut's 'Target' line.  Perhaps what they are describing by saying to put them in a batch file would be like:

?:\path\executable -param1 -param2 ... etc and just let the long line wrap?

This will be a sweet feeling when I can go in play without any concern of getting shot.

Hey there are a couple movies that you should check out, you probably have seen I Am Legend but the 2nd one was starred in by Harry Belafonte way back in the early 60's.  I love that feeling of being the only one there and I love scavenging.

Thanks again for your replys.  I'll keep stumbling along with getting this going in a server.

Lolo

It worked, that batch method did it and it is persistent.  Now I just want to be able to choose my appearance and have it stick. 

Way cool,  Thanks for your help and your patience.

Lolo  (sort of Hawaiian for CRAZY) 

Now if your playing on your own server (alone) is there anyway to restore if you die?

thanks!

I enjoy the 'last person on earth' mystique, and I don't enjoy getting shot at.  I love the scavenging.    That's what!

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, lolokane said:

I enjoy the 'last person on earth' mystique, and I don't enjoy getting shot at.  I love the scavenging.    That's what!

right on, i want to set up a server also. I don't want to kill anyone and i don't want anyone to kill me. there is enough of that in the real world. this year i'll be 79 i have seen a thing or two.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 2

First, I’ve seen this complain/problem more than once and I’m baffled about the lack of creativity to use the mentioned solution(private LAN server).

But there is many reasons to “play” solo, besides the obvious (just want PvE, avoid PvP and ~80% of game...) the purpose could be(just as examples) creation of wallpaper(desktop), scripted video, early test of mods etc.

To lolokane, 2 things
1st, You mention bears, good idea, perhaps a complete hunters mod-pack(even tho such games already exists) with various animals with there own unique behavior/stats and weapons/caliber/reticle - can’t shoot bear with .22-short, no matter how many shots you can get in before it gets you… and some animals have better senses, which calls for longer shots. As my skills within 3d creation is limited to dead objects(like cans, knifes etc.) and doesn’t really excite me, I would only be able to offer coding and solutions within this.
2nd, if you have any questions about configuration of server and how to run it, feel free to msg.

don't get me wrong i have around 2000 hours in dayz mostly on vanilla servers, and have avoided getting killed fairly well.

But i want to play with friends and family.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:52 AM, ImpulZ said:

The Offline Mode will no longer be supported from our side, the development focus is on the original online experience.

It's unfortunate that there's no sandbox editor to easily test things or just mess around. People are having to use the community offline mode as there is no official one, either that, or make their own. Not user-friendly. Most unsatisfactory.

"... we're going to introduce a single-player DayZ option. So if you know, your internet fails, you can still play the game ... so, you know, you'll have that option if you just can't stand people, you can play by yourself ... but, past that, the single-player DayZ will also allow modders, which is a big thing obviously for PC gaming, to test their content locally before they start to push it to the Steam workshop."

—Brian Hicks, former DayZ Lead Producer, PC Gaming Show, E3, June 16, 2015

(emphasis mine)

10 hours ago, mugost said:

can’t shoot bear with .22-short, no matter how many shots you can get in before it gets you… 

.22 Long will do the trick, though.
fbxRKRM.jpg

18 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

right on, i want to set up a server also. I don't want to kill anyone and i don't want anyone to kill me. there is enough of that in the real world. this year i'll be 79 i have seen a thing or two.

Hey your right at the age where you'll be able to pass wind and make the zombies cry!    LOL!

17 hours ago, mugost said:

First, I’ve seen this complain/problem more than once and I’m baffled about the lack of creativity to use the mentioned solution(private LAN server).

But there is many reasons to “play” solo, besides the obvious (just want PvE, avoid PvP and ~80% of game...) the purpose could be(just as examples) creation of wallpaper(desktop), scripted video, early test of mods etc.

To lolokane, 2 things
1st, You mention bears, good idea, perhaps a complete hunters mod-pack(even tho such games already exists) with various animals with there own unique behavior/stats and weapons/caliber/reticle - can’t shoot bear with .22-short, no matter how many shots you can get in before it gets you… and some animals have better senses, which calls for longer shots. As my skills within 3d creation is limited to dead objects(like cans, knifes etc.) and doesn’t really excite me, I would only be able to offer coding and solutions within this.
2nd, if you have any questions about configuration of server and how to run it, feel free to msg.

Hey thanks much!  I'll add a thought that is growing on me.  Could you imagine Dayz and Hunter COTW both redone in VR?  Gosh, that'd be insanely cool!

WOW, :sigh:, WOW.

This is where a built in Offline mode would be the way to go!

About 18 hours ago I shut down after a very fruitful outing.  I even got myself a worn M4A1.  Everything was working cool.  Now I went in to spend an hour drawing zombies out of a military base and killing them one at a time and I get this message:

"Bad Version, server rejected connection"

I go online and search for it and am told I have a miss-match between one being set for experimental beta and one being set for stable (this is one being the single player server I set up and the other being the instance of the game running).

Well to note: I have not changed ANYTHING from last night.  And to note: last night and recently I have gotton a 'wrong version' message if I tried to choose any of the unstable servers.

So I did what they said [after powering down for a minute and rebooting fresh] and ran steam as administrator and went into the beta tab and low and behold it is NOT set for beta AT ALL.  So I exit and try running the server I set up and the the game and type in my password on my Lan server and I get "Bad Version, server rejected connection"

CRIMMINY

Now this is what would not happen if this "FEATURE'/"MODE" were built into as a part of the Dayz executable.  What I expect has happened is one of these two were updated and not the other {my Dayz server or my Dayz game} .  It's just a guess but this guess is the most reasonable sounding thing that has occured to me.  I will repeat for the first time that it was running last night fine and now alll I can get is "Bad Version, server rejected connection".   Shoot I don't want fire drills trying to FIX something I PAID FOR.

I want to Play.  But I would bet money the BI reply to this will be molded around how I can fix it which is not what I wanted, I want to play.

Argggg

It just occurred to me that it might be prudent to describe my machine.  I have an Asus Rog I7 7700HQ with 32 gigs of Kingston 2400 mhz Hyperx Ram, Nvidia 1070 with 8 gigs of video ram, and 2 sold state drives including one Samsung 960 Pro M2 512 gig drive.  I'm running Windows 10.

Ok it started working.  About an hour ago I checked and and both the server and the game were updating.  As soon as they finished another  update was going on one or the other.  Once finished I tried and it was all working again.  I figure they did an update like 15 hours ago that killed it and these fixed it.  I may go and turn off the auto update and turn it on periodically then back off.

Ok