ImpulZ

Experimental Update 1.0.150104

5 hours ago, IMT said:

Back in 0.62, finding that elusive FN FAL and/or mags gave you the feeling of accomplishment. This is currently totally missing.

I liked 0.62 too. IMO there was a lot more "equilibrium" in that version  BY FAR.
But a different set of "directives" & "parameters" seem to have come up (or come down to the team) rather urgently?.  so lets see how 1.0 moves forward? 
Yes 0.62 gave a range of options that allowed all kinds of different involving, satisfying or gripping play-styles. I agree with you on that.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

57 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

No it didn't - lol... (we can do this all day)

Yes it did , LOL . Have you ever played dayz mod or are you just one of those dayz sa F.Bs ? The base building was ABSOLUTELY dayz mods claim to fame , what else did it have going for it besides vehicles ?

Those two strong points fucking MADE that game , and for you to be naive enough to not believe the same should apply to dayz SA means your absolutely delusional (but we already knew that from the overly quirky - more like aidsy - walls of text you seem to print out for every response). 

Dayz devs need to wake up , get off of vacation , and come work on the promised content and fixes set long long ago - they’ve got plenty of work to do and the new year is here ; no more dilly dallying please dayz devs and start to work on these essentially game breaking bugs (persistence) and add in the rest of the damn game ffs (barricading , more base building options , missing vehicles and mechanics tied to vehicles , roaming zombie hordes , lots of missing weapons items and consumables, etc).

Edited by MaxwellHouse69420
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

Yes it did , LOL . Have you ever played dayz mod or are you just one of those dayz sa F.Bs ? The base building was ABSOLUTELY dayz mods claim to fame , what else did it have going for it besides vehicles ?

but base building came with epoch.

and by the time epoch came around, dayz already was glorious, and actually started to flatline

the fame was long there, and base building might have influenced a lot of games through it, true, but it was not really _the_ argument of dayz. it is just unthinkable today to play a survival game without base building elements (but this is also due to rust, ark, minecraft, spaceengineers&derivants, 7dtd, aoc, basicly any game after dayz in the survival genre). 

most bases were choppers, suvs and tents for years.

or wait, are you just one of those F.B. who came in with epoch?

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

Hey anyone knows how to mak an experimental server? when I try the steamcmd has password

1 hour ago, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

The base building was ABSOLUTELY dayz mods claim to fame

dude - I still HAVE DayZ Mod I play it from time to time on this same PC. You DO KNOW that it is still playable, right ?  It's a REAL minority thing now -  I only gave up playing it often when the hacking got atrocious (what year was that, do you have any idea?)  You are probably thinking of Epoch or some similar. I notice you've been in the development discussion for ... wow ... ALMOST a FULL month since you joined (and 70 posts already in just 30 days after 6 years of silence!).  You sure have PERSPECTIVE on this game. Tell the newcomers all about it. 
What kind of BASES  did YOU build on the original DayZ Mod ?? 
And no I don't mean hacks that let you drop a NATO base from ArmA in the middle of Cherno.    Check back on Youtube if your memory has gone. OK - Max, Speak!!   Tell us ALL about the bases in the first DayZ Mod, start to finish,  and the history of bases in DayZ SA. [take your time]

Edited by pilgrim*
~

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

No it didn't - lol... (we can do this all day) - My first reaction is <<What a bloody STUPID statement>> but lets avoid the polemic. To be fair, take your time and look back through this blog - as far back as you like and check ALL the references to base building.. see where the idea came from, see who proposed it, who were interested, and what happened to barricading as an initial concept from BI .. & etc .... take all the REAL data, development, and proposals, and draw a graph (you can DO that right?)

Personally - in my own opinion - the recent emphasis AND ACTION on basebuilding originating from BI with Survivor DayZ in mind.
Survivor DayZ is as you know, the Battle Royale offshoot of DayZ SA -  that BI are now recruiting development/PR staff for, according to the Bohemia Interactive site.

As for the commentators who talk of "a place I can call home" and "after the first few hours there's nothing to do"... I guess you don't remember the DayZ Blog before the layout was standardized - back in the HEYDAY of DayZ SA??   It had a Blog HEADER :

You read that? : It is NOT an ad for "Join This Game And Set Up Home And Live For Months Or Years"

So what we have is NOT a game DESIGNED to be <<My Second Life, but with some Zombies>> We have a game where you are NOT expected to live so many hours that "you get bored"
- if that <long term safe fortified home>  is what you want and if that is what the game is becoming, then there has been a CHANGE OF DIRECTION
- not rocket science to figure that out, right ?

I'm fine with that (seems a little crazy to put the "endgame" at the start of the game, but if that's the nex BI policy then ..OK..)  - Change of Direction, OK, I'll see HOW that NEW DIRECTION comes out when it's fully implemented. I confidently expect I'll be on the outside of the bases firing in, and enjoying it. The game has changed from how it was envisaged in SA and how it was developed for years, to something Different, and from a little while back it is being redirected and "corrected" to have NEW game objectives.

- OK, no problem but  that is absolutely NOT "because" BI promised Bases 5 years ago and then FAILED to deliver them due to 5 years of incompetence.  I call BULLSHIT on that.
Like the RECENT decision to drop firearms ballistic realism from the game -  OK, I get it - just don't piss in my shoes and tell me it's raining.

so calm down, Xbox players will get their bases.. they will GET Survivor DayZ too. And if there are any open vanilla servers left on PC, then PC players will also have that option. but looking at the rate Mods are developing I think the PC game will fragment fast into 3 or maybe 4 mainline new Mods leaving few players on vanilla. I see at least ONE modder [ drgullen link ] has developed something that could interest plenty of PC players already  (though I haven't played it).

So calm down, have an ice-cream, you will get what you want. Just don't pretend that it's what DayZ set out to be 100 years ago but BI were merely too incompetent to get it together.

ice-cream

[if you won't let it rest, we can leave these folk on Experimental Update and go open a specific thread elsewhere, OK? - that would be polite]

You either didn't read what I wrote or you couldn't answer it. Instead you responded with a web banner that proves my point. Go into any server and play for an hour and nine minutes. When you are done wasting an hour of your life kill your player and start again. Tell us if you're getting that wholesome dayZ experience. In no world is the average time spent alive supposed to be one hour and nine minutes. It's quite the opposite. Players used to fight for bragging rights over how long they have been alive, their humanity level and how many bandits they've killed or how many Zombies they've eliminated. People LOVED the old stat tracking debug menu and thats why it was added to the game. That combined with base building and a good group of friends was the ultimate package. It's funny, you mention you still play the mod, chances are you're playing on a server with base building enabled. I wonder why those are the servers that still survive to this day? Where did all the vanilla servers go? 

VeCDP6v.png

exhibit a: el debug menu

Make no mistake, there has been no change in direction. The idea of long term storage and base building has been in the cards since the mod. It has only been refined since then. As the other user pointed out, before epoch people would use cars as a form of persistence. The idea stretches back as far as the game itself. Also, as a paying customer I will voice my opinion. I don't feel as I have treated the developers unfairly for the amount of time the game has been developed. compared to bi's other games it's beyond evident that BI sent in it's B team to take on DayZ. And that's a shame.

p.s. this has nothing to do with console players. 

Edited by robbyj

On 1/10/2019 at 7:22 PM, robbyj said:

. It's funny, you mention you still play the mod, chances are you're playing on a server with base building enabled. I wonder why those are the servers that still survive to this day? Where did all the vanilla servers go? 

You want Vanilla DayZ Mod ?  - see Gametracker.. go LOOK and quit blathering and flaming. This thread is on Experimental Update 1.0.150104
you already TOLD everyone in ALL your posts how Competent you are, and how Incompetent BI are.  But you didn't come up with a solution yet.  (piss poor effort robbyj )

p.s. - don't quote my entire text as if you don't have a specific point to answer, any players who want to have already read it  - Just put [ ..//.. ]  in the quote box,  like a competent person.

Experimental Update 1.0.150104

<< .. if you encounter server crashes, report with your crash dumps to our Feedback Tracker. If you have any proven reproduction steps for persistence wipes, let us know. The team is working on a long-term solution, which unfortunately will take some time. >>

= back on topic =

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

13 hours ago, IMT said:

Have you played the game recently, on official public servers? There is no long term goal at the moment. I can play it perhaps 6 to 8 hours tops and then I get bored because there is nothing else to do. After those hours, my character is geared to the teeth and then what? The only thing left to do is find players and either interact with them or just straight up kill them. The latter seems the meta so most people do it which makes interacting with other people hard so there is basically only one option left.

That's where base building comes in. I'm not sure what you mean with base building but for me, it's the entire package: stashes, storage, walls, gates, etc. A place which you can call home. Combine that with vehicles and you got a nice time sink. Finding and getting a car takes a few hours. If you have a car, you have means to transport tents, base building materials and loot. After that you can start building your base and keep adding to it. A lot of time goes into this and in theory it goes on forever. There's also the aspect of finding other bases and raiding them or finding the owners and trying to communicate/interact with them. Base building adds so many possibilities to the game.

The game is piss poor easy at the moment and there isn't really that much survival to it. The only thing you can really do at the moment is mindless PvP, which is fun at times but that's not what the core of DayZ is, right? Without persistence, proper working cars and the game being piss poor easy, it feels very empty and unsatisfying. Back in 0.62, finding that elusive FN FAL and/or mags gave you the feeling of accomplishment. This is currently totally missing.

That would tell me that the developers fucked up big time with survival then.  If a player is getting max geared out within a play session, that's just terrible game design

11 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

That would tell me that the developers fucked up big time with survival then.  If a player is getting max geared out within a play session, that's just terrible game design

If a player, with as much in-game experience as IMT has, plays for 6-8 hours, and isn't 'geared to the teeth' with the current set of options that 'vanilla' provides then there's something wrong.  

Environmental survival is straight-up not hard at all and really, it will never be hard, as long as you have some sort of social skills.   It can never be designed, and scaled to be difficult in an open world sandbox environment.  Welcome to sandbox MMOs since the very beginning of sandbox MMOs.  You can't blame game design because scaling cannot be balanced in a setting where players grouping up mitigates PVE difficulty.  Players grouping up is entirely based on social interaction, which of course, is not a controlled setting.

Long story short, if you have no social skills, PVE is harder.   Proper sandbox PVE scaling in a single, large instance, has always been the impossible dream.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Parazight said:

If a player, with as much in-game experience as IMT has, plays for 6-8 hours, and isn't 'geared to the teeth' with the current set of options that 'vanilla' provides then there's something wrong.  

Environmental survival is straight-up not hard at all and really, it will never be hard, as long as you have some sort of social skills.   It can never be designed, and scaled to be difficult in an open world sandbox environment.  Welcome to sandbox MMOs since the very beginning of sandbox MMOs.  You can't blame game design because scaling cannot be balanced in a setting where players grouping up mitigates PVE difficulty.  Players grouping up is entirely based on social interaction, which of course, is not a controlled setting.

Long story short, if you have no social skills, PVE is harder.   Proper sandbox PVE scaling in a single, large instance, has always been the impossible dream.

Sorry, but that's a load of crap.  Proper gameplay balance and design can definitely make the game a hell of a lot harder/  For one, we can still blitz across the map in no time on foot.  Movement speed needs fixing.  Secondly, once you get a couple cans of food in you and some water, you can go for hours without having to stop to eat and drink again.  That's needs fixing.  Thirdly, we can carry an arsenal of supplies on us in just our starting clothing.  You can fit a fricking truck batter in your pants and still have room to spare.  Terrible game design

On 1/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, ImpulZ said:
  • Fixed: A memory server crash
  • Fixed: A client crash
  • Fixed: Server termination doesn't end properly when client connects in the middle of it

KNOWN ISSUES

• Server crashes can cause a persistence wipe. So especially for server owners, try to work with regular persistence backups and if you encounter server crashes, report with your crash dumps to our Feedback Tracker. If you have any proven reproduction steps for persistence wipes, let us know. The team is working on a long-term solution, which unfortunately will take some time.

Clearly a focused effort to address the current persistence issues.  For this, props to the developers!!

• Beans 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Sorry, but that's a load of crap.  Proper gameplay balance and design can definitely make the game a hell of a lot harder/  For one, we can still blitz across the map in no time on foot.  Movement speed needs fixing.  Secondly, once you get a couple cans of food in you and some water, you can go for hours without having to stop to eat and drink again.  That's needs fixing.  Thirdly, we can carry an arsenal of supplies on us in just our starting clothing.  You can fit a fricking truck batter in your pants and still have room to spare.  Terrible game design

No.  That's a load of crap.   First off, there's zero reason to go across the map at all.  The loot comes to you on two legs, in addition to there being no linear progression whatsoever.  Second, as long as you don't go running around 'blitzing across the map' you can survive off of ambient loot all day long.  Survival would be just as easy with zero cans of food spawning, twice as many infected, and infected hitting twice as hard.  You just have to not make stupid decisions.  Like looting truck batteries as a new spawn when trucks aren't even in the game yet.

Perhaps you haven't experienced the clearly noticeable fact that if you have a buddy with you, negotiating the environment is profoundly easier.  I dunno, maybe this is the first MMO sandbox that you have played.  The reasons why single-instance, sandbox PVE can never be difficult has existed long before Bohemia Interactive was even a business entity.

• Beans 1

10 minutes ago, Parazight said:

No.  That's a load of crap.   First off, there's zero reason to go across the map at all.  The loot comes to you on two legs, in addition to there being no linear progression whatsoever.  Second, as long as you don't go running around 'blitzing across the map' you can survive off of ambient loot all day long.  Survival would be just as easy with zero cans of food spawning, twice as many infected, and infected hitting twice as hard.  You just have to not make stupid decisions.  Like looting truck batteries as a new spawn when trucks aren't even in the game yet.

Perhaps you haven't experienced the clearly noticeable fact that if you have a buddy with you, negotiating the environment is profoundly easier.  I dunno, maybe this is the first MMO sandbox that you have played.  The reasons why single-instance, sandbox PVE can never be difficult has existed long before Bohemia Interactive was even a business entity.

Yes son, this is the firt sandbox I've ever played.  Get off your high horse.  The game can be harder and it's not because the mechanics of the game are broken.  The thirst and hunger system is abysmal.  The weight and stamina is crap.   Not sure where you have this delusion that DayZ is suppose to be rainbows and butterflies but your idea of the game makes me laugh.

"Son", "High horse", "delusional"??  

Not sure why you're trying to throw shade at me.    I have no 'delusion' believing DayZ is supposed to be 'rainbows and butterflies.'  It just is.  The player versus environment part, that is.  

I've stated reasoning behind my statements and you just retort with hyperbole, obvious lack of experience, and conjecture.  Do you even play this game??

• Like 1

The problem is because of balance. The overall core gameplay loop of DayZ is broken. Tools break way too fast, clothing gets damaged way too fast by infected, too much food, too much military weapons and ammo compared to civilian, night is a bit too dark, of course vehicles and persistence are broken, infected path finding is borked, infected are unstable on full official servers and much more.

If you balance stuff like tools breaking too fast and clothing getting damaged way too fast then you don't have to spawn as much tools, sewing kits, duct tape, etc. Food is a bit hard to balance, if you take out a lot of canned food, you're going to keep dying many times as a fresh spawn and will struggle a bit mid-game. If you keep it as is, you will struggle as a fresh spawn but it's a cakewalk mid-game. Finding a good balance for both of them would be ideal. Something along the lines of spawning a bit more canned food on the coast and the more to the north and west you go, the less food you'll find and need to rely on hunting, horticulture or going with reserves.

In order to make DayZ the gritty survival game it's supposed to be, there needs to be a lot of balancing. The game is nowhere near what I expected it to, all missing features, etc. excluded, just on a survival aspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

"Son", "High horse", "delusional"??  

Not sure why you're trying to throw shade at me.    I have no 'delusion' believing DayZ is supposed to be 'rainbows and butterflies.'  It just is.  The player versus environment part, that is.  

I've stated reasoning behind my statements and you just retort with hyperbole, obvious lack of experience, and conjecture.  Do you even play this game??

You've stated zero reason.  Saying "because it is" is not a reason.  Do you even play the game?  Do you not see how broken the system is?  Obviously not.  IMT laid it out for you.  

Too fast, too hard, too dark, need less of this and more of that, it's a struggle, it's a cakewalk.  All of these things are completely subjective.  In the end, dealing with the environment will be easy, no matter how the static AI and scripting is stacked against you.   People will always be able to outsmart and outmaneuver any settings in place to do whatever it is that they want to do.  People learn from their mistakes and don't fail at the same thing over and over again, on the whole, whereas scripting and AI don't change, ever.  Sure, some mechanics aren't working as intended.  Sure, the amount of loot hasn't been fine tuned to where administrators would like to see them be.  That doesn't even matter.  Balance and broken mechanics aren't related at all.  Look at any computer game ever written for example.

I posit that player versus environment survival will never be difficult.  People adapt.  Computer scripting does not.  This right here is the reason.  

Additionally, the moment you spawn in, you've already just reached the endgame!!  There is no progression!  And there is no measure of progression.  There are no goals!  With no goals to have, nothing is difficult!  Achieving no goals is even easier when you group up with your friends.  What exactly are you trying to do that's making the game so difficult for yourself?

Welcome to the sandbox.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 4:35 PM, Guy Smiley said:

What does this even mean?

So every update I'll have to reset my progression? I can literally survive weeks or even month in this game.. I'm tired of getting wiped now its a full release cmon..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

Too fast, too hard, too dark, need less of this and more of that, it's a struggle, it's a cakewalk.  All of these things are completely subjective.  In the end, dealing with the environment will be easy, no matter how the static AI and scripting is stacked against you.   People will always be able to outsmart and outmaneuver any settings in place to do whatever it is that they want to do.  People learn from their mistakes and don't fail at the same thing over and over again, on the whole, whereas scripting and AI don't change, ever.  Sure, some mechanics aren't working as intended.  Sure, the amount of loot hasn't been fine tuned to where administrators would like to see them be.  That doesn't even matter.  Balance and broken mechanics aren't related at all.  Look at any computer game ever written for example.

I posit that player versus environment survival will never be difficult.  People adapt.  Computer scripting does not.  This right here is the reason.  

Additionally, the moment you spawn in, you've already just reached the endgame!!  There is no progression!  And there is no measure of progression.  There are no goals!  With no goals to have, nothing is difficult!  Achieving no goals is even easier when you group up with your friends.  What exactly are you trying to do that's making the game so difficult for yourself?

Welcome to the sandbox.

PvE doesn't have to be easy. Sure you can always learn the AI, but if they make the AI dangerous enough and numerous, and resources to defend yourself with and survive scarce enough, it can be a continuous struggle to survive and you may have certain situations where you're doomed no matter what you try.

• Beans 1

I mean, no shit sherlock, PVE is never as challenging as PVP.  Intelligence prevails. Teaming up trivilaizes survival challenges. Don't team up then. Even games like Dark Souls you can simply walk past obstacles /enemies.

16 hours ago, Parazight said:

Survival would be just as easy with zero cans of food spawning, twice as many infected, and infected hitting twice as hard.

I think if you removed canned food (and all the taters and what), most players would starve.

You say there is no goal, but there is actually one goal no matter what: surviving, unless you enjoy respawning every 15 minutes.

And reducing food spawns, (greatly) increasing infected  numbers and their damage are actually three fantastic methods to make just that more challenging (and enjoyable imo).

• Beans 1

23 hours ago, robbyj said:

compared to bi's other games it's beyond evident that BI sent in it's B team to take on DayZ. And that's a shame.

really? compared to which game? i mean, i played almost every game they created, but most of them are not really catering to a large audience, barely make fps, and when arma came out, i could have probably coded the same stuff myself; certainly not the b team, or, i am glad it was the b team.

~

1 hour ago, Buakaw said:

You say there is no goal, but there is actually one goal no matter what: surviving, unless you enjoy respawning every 15 minutes.

i do not get people who require a goal in a game that simply lives from emergent gameplay.

but unfortunately, some people need closure. which is why even minecraft has an endboss. funny tho, however, there are myriads of long term minecraft "vets" who never even saw that.

~

i think any change that could be made by scripting or tuning a private server (more starvation, loot values, whatever) is not as important, as things not being addable by the community (mod loading, database, persistence, netcode, new mechanics, values which are not exposed as settings, documentation, etc.). but years of watching game development shifting to crowd pleasing, i am just hoping they will keep this in mind, and not fullfill every single whish people have. but thats just me

• Beans 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, krazikilla said:

Well as long as the 4 gamebreaking ways to get inside bases AND persistence is not fixed, maybe its intended to at least get fast ressources?

• jump on a friend and then inside - 15 seconds (fix: make the default fence 1meter higher should fix that)
  • Break a part of a lower fence, crawl in - 1 minute. (temporary easy fix, make the things 100 times harder to break, let tools get damaged, need to repair tools, and so on, there is even a mod already which fixes it)
  • Take over a base: guess the code from the lock. - max. 30 minutes its max 999 possibilities. You dont even have to stop scrolling, it will open as soon as you scroll past the correct number. (max. 30 minutes of trying from 000 - 999) (fix: make a 4 digit codelock and/or give it an extra option to "unplug" or smth, once you have your code in. So it doesnt open automatically while you scroll trough the numbers)
  • on official servers -> just server hop inside (temporary fix: dont let anyone spawn inside a closed fence area)

I think the solution for the way in via server hopping is a pretty simple fix, far more simple than trying to create some sort of area detection with "closed" fences (that method would not cover areas closed off by existing environmental objects).

Simply force server hops to spawn at the pre-existing spawn locations on the map. You'd still have all your gear, but you'd simply be relocated to an initial spawn point. Rejoining on the same server, even after hopping, will put you back where you originally signed off. Effectively, when joining a server, the server will check to see if you've already signed off on that server previously, and if yes, spawn you in at your last location on that server, and if no, you spawn at an initial spawn point. Ultimately your current location upon signing off is saved server side, and not shared with other servers. This method I think would be far easier to implement, far more fair, and help promote player loyalty to a server.

Since the location of your character would be saved to the server, it wouldn't matter if you travel in another server to the base interior location and hop back, because the server won't have the other server's log off location data.

Sorry for my english.

Probles

1) I find mp5 with 15 bullets magasine and can't remove this magasine

http://skrinshoter.ru/s/110119/17oMS2lH?a

2) You have altered the airfield near Balota, and the zombies will respawn on the places where they were before the building and not where the buildings now stand. Now they are just wandering through the fields

http://skrinshoter.ru/s/110119/ekouI0fR?a

3)mp5 is displayed on the quick access panel (button 1) and a spare mag for it too (button 2). When I hold the mp5 in my hands and press the button 2, it sometimes appears as in the screenshot and it does not disappear even if you put the mag on the ground and move a few meters away (I tried to lay out the mag on the ground to move a few meters and press the left mouse button and the mag magically joined the MP5)

http://skrinshoter.ru/s/110119/xoJ6vcSn?a

4) Since now you can create servers for 100 users and more, then you need to test how your updates work on a server of 100 people. So that it is complete and give at least a week to its users to fill it with bases and backpacks buried in the ground. This will be a real test. And now on the experimental version, all updates usually work more or less normally, but when they come out on a stable version, the server part of the game starts to slow down when there are 100 people on the server. And this is not related to the lack of performance of the server; these are problems with the software part.

5) Periodic friezes on 1-2 seconds

6) MP5 on military objects began to come across a lot (Chernagorsk, Balota, Pavlovo, Zelenogorsk). Mp5 has become too much. Chernarus is a post-Soviet space and therefore the AK family should be the most common military weapon(5,45 and 7,62 caliber). Somewhere a police class weapon can be spread. But there will be more weapons of 9 * 18 mm and not 9 * 19 mm. That is, mp5 if it will occur to a lesser extent.

Edited by remastyi

3 hours ago, remastyi said:

You have altered the airfield near Pavlovo, and the zombies will respawn on the places where they were before the building and not where the buildings now stand. Now they are just wandering through the fields

Make a bug report about this, remastyi  - As soon as the devs know about it the fix is not difficult.