ShallowTech

Server Hopping Fixed?

I wanted to know if anything has been done about server hopping?

Long time player and fan of DayZ and was eagerly awaiting DayZ on console. However, I stopped playing shortly after its game preview release because of server hopping. It became almost impossible to survive, loot, etc. because we were contently getting KOS by fully kitted players camping and server hopping any area with decent loot. Oh not to mention the groups of hoppers running up and down the cost killing fresh spawns. 

Has anything been done to prevent this?

31 minutes ago, ShallowTech said:

I wanted to know if anything has been done about server hopping?

Long time player and fan of DayZ and was eagerly awaiting DayZ on console. However, I stopped playing shortly after its game preview release because of server hopping. It became almost impossible to survive, loot, etc. because we were contently getting KOS by fully kitted players camping and server hopping any area with decent loot. Oh not to mention the groups of hoppers running up and down the cost killing fresh spawns. 

Has anything been done to prevent this?

There's a 15 second log-off timer and a 90 second timer on joining servers you weren't previously in, but sometimes the timer doesn't kick in and you can still 'insta-hop.' Aside from that, there are no renditions to fixing server hopping. 

Wow, this is a really big problem and really takes away from the realistic survival game this has always been. The timer should increase depending on how often you server hop, like Breaking Point did! So first time, 5 min wait, second hop within 20 min, 15 min wait... seriously is there an admin or developer that can comment on plans to reduce or eliminate server hoping? It sucks to be surviving legitimately, run up to a military camp only to have a server hopper spawn behind you and KOS with an AR and a unlimited supply of ammo!

• Like 1

This issue only seems to be worse with the console community and all the little kids running around like it is a death match! 

i believe you can play on private shards or whatever they are called theres no hopping 

1 hour ago, tiadashi said:

i believe you can play on private shards or whatever they are called theres no hopping 

yes on pc. hope we get it on xbox too. all these little things that should've never even be there are pushing me and many others away from the game. like adding HC servers but let's spawn people in 3rd person instead. on top of that the lack of communication... I guess it's just inevitable.

4 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

This issue only seems to be worse with the console community and all the little kids running around like it is a death match! 

Can you blame the Console players though? We have limited space and so many problems with server crashes/persistency issues; no one wants to die so unfortunately everyone is untrustworthy and K'sOS. What I can say to this though is be mindful of your surroundings; whenever someone joins the server, the game experiences frame drops. This is on all consoles. The game sometimes lags the closer you get to a large group of people. Keeping these meta-game preventative measures in your head should alleviate some of those problems bro. Im sorry you're having such a hard time buddy, you might want to proceed with a trustworthy group when possible. Also, zombies still dynamically spawn based on the number of survivors around, so that lil tidbit of info should help too. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

Wow, this is a really big problem and really takes away from the realistic survival game this has always been. The timer should increase depending on how often you server hop, like Breaking Point did! So first time, 5 min wait, second hop within 20 min, 15 min wait... seriously is there an admin or developer that can comment on plans to reduce or eliminate server hoping? It sucks to be surviving legitimately, run up to a military camp only to have a server hopper spawn behind you and KOS with an AR and a unlimited supply of ammo!

Sorry I had quoted wrong person ^^^

12 hours ago, Tropic_Pineapples said:

Can you blame the Console players though? We have limited space and so many problems with server crashes/persistency issues; no one wants to die so unfortunately everyone is untrustworthy and K'sOS. What I can say to this though is be mindful of your surroundings; whenever someone joins the server, the game experiences frame drops. This is on all consoles. The game sometimes lags the closer you get to a large group of people. Keeping these meta-game preventative measures in your head should alleviate some of those problems bro. Im sorry you're having such a hard time buddy, you might want to proceed with a trustworthy group when possible. Also, zombies still dynamically spawn based on the number of survivors around, so that lil tidbit of info should help too. 

Yeah, thanks. I got all that information already and I have actually been playing DayZ since it was a mod... I remember when there were helicopters... :-( Anyway, it is unfortunate that the game drops frames and lags around people but I agree with your points on that. It is those instances that when you are looting and someone spawns in right on you that are irritating. I do not mind a good fight and I have killed a couple fools trying to server hop on me. Regardless it would be nice if there was a timer to at least reduce these occurrences. Obviously this game has PvP but it is a survival game first.

Normally it is me, my cousin and a good friend that play this together. Our friend is new to the game so he has some trouble finding us ;-). It is a great game, it has had some much potential but little things like server hopping can really ruin the experience. I am sure that the developers did not intend for the game to be played in that fashion. If they did then they would have just put a gun and ammo in every house. It is survival, supplies are limited and when someone takes advantage of an exploit like this it really takes away from the core of this game.

• Beans 1

xbox need private server 

PS:conan exiles have private server in game preview, i buy one with friends for two monts. nice

Edited by jedimfp

Private servers would be okay but public servers should also have some fixes for this issue applied. If players do not like the game being a survival game and only want to jump in, exploit and loot up, they will probably not be around long anyway so who cares if they play the game or not! They already bought it anyway :-) The fact is, the game was not developed to be played this way and the company should not cater to the complaints of those exploiting aspects of the game to get an unfair advantage against other players. I mean, why add farming, loot, fishing, hunting, crafting, etc. if you only wanted people to run around and KOS all the time. They could have just developed a crappy battle royal and been done with it!

These two options could dramatically reduce this issue. It does not seem that these would be difficult to implement. 

1. Timers that increase if hopping servers frequently or in a certain amount of time between changing servers
  2. Spawn location changes slightly or completely if server frequently changing servers

Anyone playing this game as it was intended to be played, would not have an issue with this. I can see if there were server stability issues and people were getting dropped, then this might be an issue but something really should be done. The entire game environment, community would be much more enjoyable if everyone worked hard to get gear and survive. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, jedimfp said:

xbox need private server 

PS:conan exiles have private server in game preview, i buy one with friends for two monts. nice

Private servers would be okay but public servers should also have some fixes for this issue applied. If players do not like the game being a survival game and only want to jump in, exploit and loot up, they will probably not be around long anyway so who cares if they play the game or not! They already bought it anyway :-) The fact is, the game was not developed to be played this way and the company should not cater to the complaints of those exploiting aspects of the game to get an unfair advantage against other players. I mean, why add farming, loot, fishing, hunting, crafting, etc. if you only wanted people to run around and KOS all the time. They could have just developed a crappy battle royal and been done with it!

These two options could dramatically reduce this issue. It does not seem that these would be difficult to implement. 

1. Timers that increase if hopping servers frequently or in a certain amount of time between changing servers
  2. Spawn location changes slightly or completely if server frequently changing servers

Anyone playing this game as it was intended to be played, would not have an issue with this. I can see if there were server stability issues and people were getting dropped, then this might be an issue but something really should be done. The entire game environment, community would be much more enjoyable if everyone worked hard to get gear and survive. 

• Beans 2

20 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

yes,like it. if you change server more than once

1. 15-60minutes

2. spawn five or more km another place when disconected,or beach

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

Yeah, but maybe these restrictions should be imposed only if changing server and not if rejoining the same server. I realise this wouldn't solve ghosting, but would prevent loot hoppers. I would hate to wait fifteen minutes and find myself five kilometers away just because my game crashed out the server kicked me out. 

I wonder how big an issue ghosting is. I haven't personally had any problems with it though I have read on here people that have. Maybe just the time out which increases incrementally with every server change within an hour? If a ghosting player has to wait to change server, reposition, and then wait longer again to respawn I couldn't see it being a viable strategy. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Yeah, but maybe these restrictions should be imposed only if changing server and not if rejoining the same server. I realise this wouldn't solve ghosting, but would prevent loot hoppers. I would hate to wait fifteen minutes and find myself five kilometers away just because my game crashed out the server kicked me out. 

I wonder how big an issue ghosting is. I haven't personally had any problems with it though I have read on here people that have. Maybe just the time out which increases incrementally with every server change within an hour? If a ghosting player has to wait to change server, reposition, and then wait longer again to respawn I couldn't see it being a viable strategy. 

Yes I agree with these points. If possible it would be great if they would force a log out timer so people can not combat log and ghost so easily. Or if there was a way to not allow players to logout while in combat, that would be good too. For instance, once you fire a weapon, you have to wait longer if you try to log out...

I used to be a server hopper due to three things:

1. Finding the same loot over and over and over... It got me frustrated and annoyed. 20 peacoats in a row.... Great. 

2. Not being able to defend myself because of broken weapons (mosin, shotty) or veeeery scarce placement of gun / ammo / magazine. (try to find an mp5, ammo and 4 magazine AND a gun cleaning kit faster than one person can run to zelenogorsk MB and get fully geared) 

3. Specific clothes and gear

The sad part is that the game force you to go to a military base. For instance.. where do you find PU scope and ammo for the mosin? 9 out of 10 times at an MB. 

Where are the most modable weapons? You guessed it... MB. 

Where are the clothes that have the most inventory slots? Ding Ding.. Right again. 

Three things to fix server hoppers:

1. Rework the RNG/loot

2. Log out timer 30 second, 180 sec wait time to enter another server. Logging out from second server within 20 minutes will add 60 sec log out timer and wait time to enter a 3rd server should be 360 sec. 

That will Also stop combat loggers. 

3. Fill up police stations and guard houses with mp5, scorpion, ammo and magazines. Remove spawnable police cars and make them static. How on earth can you compare spawnable police cars and mp5's with spawnable heli crash and svd? Also, mosin and shotgun should be a common thing around residential areas. Just like you know what you will find when going to a military base or camp, just the same should it be when seeing a police station in the distance. 

On 14/01/2019 at 10:05 PM, bent.toe said:

1. Finding the same loot over and over and over... It got me frustrated and annoyed. 20 peacoats in a row.... Great. 

2. Not being able to defend myself because of broken weapons (mosin, shotty) or veeeery scarce placement of gun / ammo / magazine. (try to find an mp5, ammo and 4 magazine AND a gun cleaning kit faster than one person can run to zelenogorsk MB and get fully geared) 

The sad part is that the game force you to go to a military base. For instance.. where do you find PU scope and ammo for the mosin? 9 out of 10 times at an MB. 

Where are the clothes that have the most inventory slots? Ding Ding.. Right again. 

1. Rework the RNG/loot

2. Log out timer 30 second, 180 sec wait time to enter another server. Logging out from second server within 20 minutes will add 60 sec log out timer and wait time to enter a 3rd server should be 360 sec. 

3. Fill up police stations and guard houses with mp5, scorpion, ammo and magazines. Remove spawnable police cars and make them static. How on earth can you compare spawnable police cars and mp5's with spawnable heli crash and svd? Also, mosin and shotgun should be a common thing around residential areas. Just like you know what you will find when going to a military base or camp, just the same should it be when seeing a police station in the distance. 

I mostly find mosin ammo and PU scopes in hunting camps. Also prefer the hunting clothes, which I believe have just as many slots now. 

Actually just remembered, hunting trousers have slightly fewer slots, but still decent. I love the autumnal camo, blends in much better than bdu. 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy
After thoughts
  • Like 2

My biggest issue with the server hoppers is they always log out in the camo tent or a barracks and when they log in they can see anyone around them before the walls load in giving them a huge advantage because they are exploiting a bad mechanic.  I've even heard someone log in after getting the lag spike, I rushed him, put a whole AK clip into him at point blank and none of my shots registered, then he ends up killing me..

This game rewards terrible behavior. 

• Sad 1

On 14/1/2019 at 11:05 PM, bent.toe said:

1. Rework the RNG/loot

The PU scope does not spawn in military bases and Mosins and shotguns ARE a common thing around residential areas.

And the shotgun and mosin is not "broken", they worked fine as one-shot weapons plus that is a thing of the past - so half of what you build your post on is not factual.

Learn to use what you got to your advantage, its not the weapon that decides who survives but he ho holds it.

Some well done sneaking and a few ij70-shots and anyone will go down.

Its not long ago that I killed da mega-geared player - half gillied, plate carrier, SVD and M4A1 and an assault head with visor - one shot (the first I fired) to the head from my pistol and all his gear was of no use to him any more.

I had about 10 shots in my pistol (and no more) but still won the fight with only a single shot fired even though he was trying to spray me down with full auto-fire from inside a covered position.

Just dont rush into shit, learn to wait until the odds are in your favor and you will do good with most weapons.

Mil-loot is not the only thing that counts and the one with the heaviest gear is not necessarily the winner - or the one who has the most fun.

Also - learn to enjoy the challenge of not being fully geared, its fun!

Edited by Jonas Levin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonas Levin said:

The PU scope does not spawn in military bases and Mosins and shotguns ARE a common thing around residential areas.

And the shotgun and mosin is not "broken", they worked fine as one-shot weapons plus that is a thing of the past - so half of what you build your post on is not factual.

Also - learn to enjoy the challenge of not being fully geared, its fun!

Believe me.. I used to be a server hopper so yeah,. PU scope spawn in MB's. 

And since i wrote used to, which is a thing of the past. My post is factual based on 500 hours of game play before the patch two days ago that fix the broken weapons. A weapon with half of the working functions is a broken weapons IMO. 

On 17.1.2019 at 7:50 AM, bent.toe said:

Believe me.. I used to be a server hopper so yeah,. PU scope spawn in MB's. 

I can confirm that the pu scopes spawn also in MBs, but i experienced it rarely tbh.