Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

BI is Making it Harder to be an Admin...Why?

If you're an active administrator on a DayZ server you'll know they scrapped GUID's and Steam64id's for a new ID.

The problem is if players don't set their in-game name through a launch parameter -name=yournamehere (which is a really silly hoop to jump through) then every player will show up as a denomination of survivor. For example: survivor, survivor (1), survivor (2), survivor (3).

When survivor (3) leaves the server and someone new joins, that new person is now survivor (3) and the ball keeps rolling.

If there is an incident and someone needs to get banned or handled in anyway adminstratively, you get an unreadable id that looks like this: fr4TQ4iWoAnTe261R9/GUpo2Wkkj8wE0PHy/i5pQib0=

If that person logs out before an admin gets to the issue is at hand, they get away. Only way to find them without RCON is to stream logs and HOPE you're watching your screen when they logon. That's NUTS!!!

The ONLY way to find out who that is by running a 3rd party RCON application like Dart or EPM. RCON tools show IP's and GUID's. You can take a GUID and convert it to a Steam64id if necessary.

If there is an incident on your server, you have to cross-reference the time of the incident in the logs with the timestamp on the RCON tool. We have two servers via GSP and each one is running a different OS version for some reason. One of which is giving us an 8 minute delay from real time to logs so we have to add that into the equation...an additional hoop.

I spoke with Eugen about this and he said it's GDPR related. I had to Google what that was. GDPR doesn't make sense becuase you're STILL giving out an identifier that anyone can use to get General Data. BI would have to ban ALL RCON tools to effectively not get sued over GDPR. Without BI's ID, I can't cross-reference it with RCON tools to get that information.

I help run a No-Kill PVE server and I need logs with usable data that I don't need to jump through several hoops and add a mathmatical equation to and hope I get a result to do my job effectively. As it is my team is taking 2 sets of backups every 4 hours because of wipes, BEC is crashing so I have to restart that several x/day. I got to restart the server MYSELF every 4 hours and take an additional backup('s) just so players can see the world their playing in (nights), and deal with endless complaints of collateral damage in restoring backups due to basewipes. A lot of players look at me and direct their complaint at me like it's my fault. This is very frustrating.

We need help and the current system is NOT helping. At least scrap the survivor (3) thing so we can see an in-game name or give us some conversion tool for the new ID. Something, anything.

Thank you for your time.

• Beans 2

Setting an ingame name ingame in v1.0? Are you nuts?

But seriously, your post is 100% true and things need to change. Arguing with GDPR when it comes to GUIDs is something i simply can not believe. A GUID is, afaik, not that kind of data that needs special protection or can be used to get personal info about a person. Unless a steam account, which can be set to private, is on the same level as my birthday, real name, etc. But at the end of the day i am no lawyer, so who knows.

A working ingame name (without 3rd party launcher or starting options in steam) would be a good start....

could they not just add a pop up style box when joining a server (that has no current active character of yours) prompting you to create a name before you spawn in?  it could pop up again when u click respawn to allow you to change names with any given character death

• Beans 1

58 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I help run a No-Kill PVE server and I need logs with usable data that I don't need to jump through several hoops and add a mathmatical equation to and hope I get a result to do my job effectively. As it is my team is taking 2 sets of backups every 4 hours because of wipes, BEC is crashing so I have to restart that several x/day. I got to restart the server MYSELF every 4 hours and take an additional backup('s) just so players can see the world their playing in (nights), and deal with endless complaints of collateral damage in restoring backups due to basewipes. A lot of players look at me and direct their complaint at me like it's my fault. This is very frustrating.

This does backups for your and automatically recovers persistence after crashes:

44 minutes ago, philippj said:

SNIP

philippj, thank you for taking the time to post that link here. I appreciate the support.

We use a GSP...Fragnet in this case. I spoke with Fragnet staff about automated backups and they installed (reinstalled actually) a tool that does them. Problem is, it's only 1 and anything more than 3 is putting a load on the server or so they say. Also, the system works like this: hit back up button and the server stops (if you decide to go past the prompt) to take a backup. Considering wipes happen when you shut down or restart (I don't care who says what...thats what happens and it happens everyday) the possibility of getting corrupt data is too great for the system to work properly.

What I do in the ACP is zip the storage folder and download said zip so I don't touch anything. Haven't had a bad experience yet.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

1 hour ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

could they not just add a pop up style box when joining a server (that has no current active character of yours) prompting you to create a name before you spawn in?  it could pop up again when u click respawn to allow you to change names with any given character death

There are those silder driven profiles in the main window for setting different character profiles presumably for different servers. I thought that would set your name in-game, but I guess its either a case of just character management, it doesn't work like it's suppossed to, or another GDPR provision. Considering how far they're going with GDPR it could be related to that.

saying this is because of GDPR is nonsense, a GUID or temporary server username is not personal information, and third party server logs etc. are never going to get checked for GDPR purposes, ever

if they worry about GDPR, the just need to anonymize data of people wanting their data to be deleted, many systems do it that way, if the GUID from battleye is not connected to any personal data, the data does not fall under GDPR law

this problem also allegedly would happen in case of payments or battleye bans, think about it: if a battleye user wants his personal data to be deleted, and a GUID would fall under GDPR, all you would have to do is file a GDPR userdata deletion to battleye and they would have to basically unban you by deleting all your data they have

Edited by ZomboWTF

With Battlemetrics, I can click on a players name that is in game, or search for a player that was on my server. I get their IP address, Battleye GUID, Steam ID, other names they've used, log in/out history, if they have any VAC or Steam game bans and a link to their Steam profile... I don't have a steak in the company, but I use their services. It's great. 

https://www.battlemetrics.com/subscription/rcon

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, BetterDeadThanZed said:

With Battlemetrics, I can click on a players name that is in game, or search for a player that was on my server. I get their IP address, Battleye GUID, Steam ID, other names they've used, log in/out history, if they have any VAC or Steam game bans and a link to their Steam profile... I don't have a steak in the company, but I use their services. It's great. 

https://www.battlemetrics.com/subscription/rcon

You pay for $10/month for premium?

the name is as far as I read out, actually set in the mission base script. you could simply script a script which rotates through ~100 names, if the user does not provide its own name. If it is just about having a more unique name.

the function where this happens is in missionServer.c at OnClientNewEvent.

the survivor name gets set by

characterName = GetGame().CreateRandomPlayer()

you could simply override OnClientNewEvent, and hook in your own little name generator, right after this; or similar. just set the string to something else instead. as you can see the name is actually retrieved from the name of the skin chosen. together with random skins this creates a bit of a trifle.

I never tested this, but I bet it works. this could include quite sophisticated solutions to that, but I think, the name itself should never be the identifier anyway. I did however consider to do this as well for purely aesthetical reasons, maybe I will drop the script if i ever do it (or someone else can be kind enough, or you try it yourself)

Otherwise, give the community time. I will definitely personally release my own rcon script at some point, when it becomes usable, and I am sure, others will too. For now, I have been rather okay with DaRt, and one other trick you can do is place in any of the events that are fired at login (e.g. OnPreloadEvent), where you can get the identity from an argument, and Print it into the log file, if you need it for bughunting with

Print(identity.GetPlainId());

this will output the SteamID64 into the logfile in the profile folder.

Edited by g4borg

2 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

You pay for $10/month for premium?

Yes. It's well worth the cost.

BattleMetrics is the shit.  I run four different game servers and BM on all of them.  I even get a discount through my GSP.  Worth every penny. 

after testing a bit, and reading up the code further, i have yet to decrease my "competence view" of the script code of dayz.

Like always, exposed api calls are totally worthless, and the "characterName" variable in question refers to the character class name (SurvivorF_Maria e.g.) so setting it does not work

while the name itself is coded into the identity class, which is - of course - managed C code.

even worse, not logged in chars do not trigger any events if they chat, and logged in ones never trigger it with identity, only with character name, which is sometimes just Survivor, making it indistinguishible who the hell is talking in scripts.

what a mess. + to OP.

6 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

BattleMetrics is the shit.  I run four different game servers and BM on all of them.  I even get a discount through my GSP.  Worth every penny. 

They charge per server? So without a discount, 4 servers costs 40/month?