Sign in to follow this  
Ipecac (DayZ)

Why is it ALWAYS NIGHT???

Seriously! Please!!

I play games at night and DAYZ IS ALWAYS DARK!

Can you please, please, please, please set the servers to 24hr = 5hr?  Two hours light, 30 min dusk, two hours dark, 30 min dawn?

Have you noticed that as soon as it gets dark outside, everyone quits because they know it's going to be dark in the game for 10 hours??

GAH!

edit: I actually really like playing at night, but it's 100% pitch black everywhere. What about some silvery moonlight? It's just too dark for too long and it drives people away. I play the dark game, but it kills it knowing I'm the only person on the server and I can just walk through any military base cause nobody cares. 

I love DayZ! Please fix the day night cycle!

edit edit: Also, if you could just make it so my weapon light SORT OF points in the direction i'm going? You know, if I have a flashlight on the end of my gun, when I jog, I point it in front of me, not into the ditch next to the road. xoxo

Edited by Ipecac (DayZ)

There are always daytime servers, just gotta find them. The "Day / Night indicator" doesn't seem to work very well. So I always join the servers with medium and higher populations, those servers always tend to be in the daytime. 

I'm not sure if the official Stable branch servers have any time acceleration but that's the problem. If you want to play in your own region and you only have time to play in the evening or night, you will always have to play in the darkness.

• Beans 1

11 hours ago, Ipecac (DayZ) said:

Seriously! Please!!

Can you please, please, please, please set the servers to 24hr = 5hr?  Two hours light, 30 min dusk, two hours dark, 30 min dawn?

Have you noticed that as soon as it gets dark outside, everyone quits because they know it's going to be dark in the game for 10 hours??

GAH!

edit: I actually really like playing at night, but it's 100% pitch black everywhere. What about some silvery moonlight? It's just too dark for too long and it drives people away. I play the dark game, but it kills it knowing I'm the only person on the server and I can just walk through any military base cause nobody cares. 

edit edit: Also, if you could just make it so my weapon light SORT OF points in the direction i'm going? You know, if I have a flashlight on the end of my gun, when I jog, I point it in front of me, not into the ditch next to the road. xoxo

BEC is bugged and crashes so servers aren't restarting like they should be and the result is a 12 hour night which sucks but nobody listens to me and I get banned for having valid complaints.

Don't swear too much or you'll get the hammer too.

23 hours ago, Ipecac (DayZ) said:

Seriously! Please!!

GAH!

never play on official servers. 

19 hours ago, IMT said:

I'm not sure if the official Stable branch servers have any time acceleration but that's the problem. If you want to play in your own region and you only have time to play in the evening or night, you will always have to play in the darkness.

Something which doesn't affect me, since I can't even remember the last time I played on an official server, but will never fail to greatly annoy me, is people defending or promoting the real-time 24-hour day/night cycles. It's more rare these days but I've seen it many a time.

"I like the realistic days and nights, DayZ should be realistic"
"It's kind of annoying but it forces people to experience night, so it's worth it"
"Without 24 hour cycle it's not proper DayZ!"
"It would suck if they dropped the real-time day/night cycle"
"Time true to real world is an amazing feature"

I'm just making this shit up but if I wanted to I could pull up way too many comments along those lines. Some people suggested setting 8 hour cycles, or 19.5 hour cycles, or something a bit less than 24 hours, and even that was shot down by a few die-hard time fans.

First off, if you're a normal adult, for 5 days of the week, if you want to play DayZ you're going to have to play DayZ at night. 24 hour cycle ensures you'll be stuck in darkness.
Real-world time might be cool if you could hop on at any time of the day or night, but most people can't do that, because they have this thing called a life.
And finally, people don't play for 12 hours and certainly not for 24. The real-time cycles are completely and utterly pointless in a 3 hour session.

It's not any more "authentic" or any more "realistic" to synchronize in-game time with real-world time. If I set up a mission in ARMA my mission is not any less realistic due to it taking place at night when it's day in real life. DayZ servers are not persistent ecosystems. People drop in and out non-stop. And players who don't want night just hop on a server in a different time zone anyways, or the 24/7 day private servers. 

Grrrr.

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

Something which doesn't affect me, since I can't even remember the last time I played on an official server, but will never fail to greatly annoy me, is people defending or promoting the real-time 24-hour day/night cycles. It's more rare these days but I've seen it many a time.

"It's kind of annoying but it forces people to experience night, so it's worth it"

I'm just making this shit up but if I wanted to I could pull up way too many comments along those lines. Some people suggested setting 8 hour cycles, or 19.5 hour cycles, or something a bit less than 24 hours, and even that was shot down by a few die-hard time fans.

First off, if you're a normal adult, for 5 days of the week, if you want to play DayZ you're going to have to play DayZ at night. 24 hour cycle ensures you'll be stuck in darkness.
Real-world time might be cool if you could hop on at any time of the day or night, but most people can't do that, because they have this thing called a life.
And finally, people don't play for 12 hours and certainly not for 24. The real-time cycles are completely and utterly pointless in a 3 hour session.

It's not any more "authentic" or any more "realistic" to synchronize in-game time with real-world time. If I set up a mission in ARMA my mission is not any less realistic due to it taking place at night when it's day in real life. DayZ servers are not persistent ecosystems. People drop in and out non-stop. And players who don't want night just hop on a server in a different time zone anyways, or the 24/7 day private servers. 

Grrrr.

Exactly, I remember the time when I used to play on my own, in my own timezone. During weekdays, it would always be night when I was playing. Even though nights weren't nearly as dark as they are now, it started to bother me. Back then you still had the black and white nights and eventually it would bug me that I was always playing without color.

I think the acceleration used on Experimental (x6) isn't too bad, maybe x8 is a bit better but I'm glad they dropped the real-time on Experimental. Which also wouldn't hurt is a separate acceleration for day and night. That way you can still have long days and short nights or short days and long nights if that's your preference. It would mean that nighttime doesn't go to waste and everyone goes to a daylight server or servers have 24/7 daytime since night is a lot shorter and most likely much more bearable to those that don't like nighttime.

5 hours ago, robbyj said:

never play on official servers. 

Yeah because community servers are super stable and never have loot cycler owners... I'm so tired of DayZ community servers, not a single serious one. Even the time of the mod was more serious.

11 hours ago, daniel0056 said:

Yeah because community servers are super stable and never have loot cycler owners... I'm so tired of DayZ community servers, not a single serious one. Even the time of the mod was more serious.

i don’t like official servers because they have realistic long night cycles and i can see anything but i don’t like community servers because i think all server owners are “loot cyclers”. the most reasonable solution here is for you to uninstall the game. 

night should be at most 1 out of 4 hours. The rest is nonsense.

I play exclusively on official servers and I can always find a daytime server, I don't understand why this post even exists... there is always at least one daylight official server, always.

On my server I run the Arctic Latitudes mod with the date set to 5/5/19. The results are a twighlight effect for the night hours. It's never pitch black and the acceleration lets 24 hours to pass in one 4 hour cycle.

Here's what it looks like at 1:30am on my server.

33923B692613708BE6B83FC14A82B9AC8C67E223

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:54 AM, Ipecac (DayZ) said:

Seriously! Please!!

GAH!

A server being night time is an admin issue unless you're playing on official which in that case, God speed. Also, gun lights point in the direction you aim your gun in, if you want a light to point in the direction you are looking try a headtorch. Anyways I'm with everyone else if you want a server on your time, find one that's non official or a different time zone host.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:31 AM, -Gews- said:

It's not any more "authentic" or any more "realistic" to synchronize in-game time with real-world time.

Right. The server vanilla software is set to a 24hour cycle. As soon as a DayZ instance is loaded into a server it automatically takes it's time clock from THAT server (which is set to local time of course). That's all.  It's that simple. And I guess it's that dumb, too.

The EASY private owner solution is to give the server owner a +/- control, so they can (for instance)  set back the game clock to "Server time minus 5h" . Then it will get dark 5 hours later than 'realtime' on that Dayz. If they set it to minus 10, that Dayz will have night in the middle of the 'real local day' and dawn will come up towards evening as most players begin to log on.

A solution for public servers is a little more difficult.. because BI or the SPs can't spare the manpower (or have other difficulty) to set a local time offset by hand for each DayZ instance worldwide, whenever it is designated and starts up as an official public instance. I don't think SPs even inform BI which instances ARE official.

So randomize the time offset automatically when each DayZ instance is set up.. make it 6 hour earlier or 6 hours later than server local time .. then everyone should be able to find a (fairly) local public server that is either day or nigh, as they prefer, whatever real time of day they play. If that instance happens to be private, the owner can use their +/- to set time as they like.

- this is just my idea of a quick fix across the board for all public servers that could be implemented in only a few lines of script. 

- Caveat : Some  thought should go into dealing with weekends differently , when many players might log in from "local" morning to "'local 4 a.m."   

Edited by pilgrim*

Thanks for the replies folks. I mean, wow the steam community is so toxic I fully expected 1000 "You're stupid, get gud" type replies. 

I would love to play on a non-official HC (1st person) server, but I want to play with the threat of other players. The reason I've been playing official is that I jump to the highest pop server I can find, to keep the game fun. 

A non- offical would also kill the server-hopping issue, which I think is totally dumb. 

Can anyone recommend a good medium-high pop server that would play well from US West?

Thanks xoxox

P.S. Is there a functioning dayz trello or devtracker?  Just curious what bugs are being addressed etc. I know the trello is up but it looks old.

Also, does anyone know why my server browser only shows official servers?  For no apparent reason, at other times, it will only show non-official servers. I can't seem to effect this change on purpose.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:31 PM, -Gews- said:

Grrrr.

Edited by forteantimes23

the Devs SERIOUSLY need to do something about the constant night. I can barely play ANY Dayz at all because pretty much all the servers in the AUS/NZ region are night when I have time to play. This is BS. Totally frustrating because its just not feasible to run around at night.

• Beans 1

messages.xml restart works fine. you do not need BEC to do that.

there is a nice night acceleration parameter additionally to the default time acceleration parameter, as well as the option to set a fixed starting time in the configuration file.

the init.c of the mission file actually has it covered aswell, so you can do more advanced initialization there.

you can control ingame time per script if you really want to finetune it.

there are day-only servers, aswell as long-day / short-night servers. our server is long-day, but since it restarts every 12 hours and resets time to 6 morning on a beautiful summer day, its basicly day-only, e.g.

so imho the problem is only the settings for public servers.

Edited by g4borg

Again, the official servers are NOT synced with real life time! I play exclusively on official US servers and I can ALWAYS find a day server. Seems to be like 1 hour of day and 30 minutes of night, if I had to guess.

I'm based in Aust and play on official servers only - pretty much ALL the aussie servers are synced to realtime so when its night and I want to play = night time in game. 

My problem is, I've tried playing on US servers as well (usually Southwest, southcentral, etc) and yet it saves a diff version of my player ie. its not the same consistent player I have on the Aussie servers so I can't play with my mates. 

• Like 1