Sign in to follow this  
chili1496

So whats the easiest way to

tell where i have bloody spawned?

been a noob i spawn into an area the spend the next 5 minutes trying to figure out wtf i am by looking at a map i do not fully understand yet

is there an easier way?

Edited by chili1496
spelling

Here's a good list of all the towns and cities:

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Towns_and_Cities

Use that in combination with a detailed map like iZurvive.  When you spawn it, find the nearest road sign, then find that town on the Gamepedia list which will give you the sector the town is in, then use iZurvive to find that town on the actual map.  If you are launching the game with DZSALauncher, that will tell you the exact time on the server, so then you can use the position of the sun in the sky to determine east and west -- it rises in the east and sets in the west just like IRL.

All these things combined should help you navigate and learn the map.

If you're having trouble figuring out where you spawned, there is a way to find out without spoiling the fun of learning the map by using a third-party map.

First of all, you always spawn at the coast, it will be either in the east or the south. If you know the (approximate) time on the server you can use the sun to know which side you spawned at. Now that you know whether you're in the east or south, you can work with that. There are two ways to get to "civilization". If you spawned on the beach itself, start walking north if you spawned south or start walking west if you spawned east. If you spawned inland, do the opposite, going south if you spawned south, going east if you spawned east. At some point, you're going to hit the highway. The highway starts in the south west and end at the north west. So no matter which direction you follow on the highway, it's always going to lead to either "civilization" or the end of the map/debug.

Now that you're on the highway and are following one direction, you will hit one of the coastal towns or cities eventually. You now can check the sign at which town or city you are. Since they are in Cyrillic, you have two options again. Check the English translation on the internet by checking the page provided by @drgullen or check a third-party map. The other option is to loot the town to try and find the in-game map. Once you found that map, you can determine where you are by the sign of the town or city.

Spawning on the south side is much more favorable than the east side because all the cities and towns are generally closer to each other. So if you spawn on the east side and are unlucky, even when you follow these tips you might get in trouble with thirst or hunger and might even die a few times. Once you know the map, you will know where the ponds and rivers are and places where you can go to get food or water. From Kamyshovo to Solnichniy and from Berezino to Svetlojarsk have a long distance between them with few loot spots in between. These 2 paths might give you some trouble but later on, you'll manage.

That's all there is to it. Once you've played the game for a while, you will learn the towns and cities, the names, the layout, locations, etc. and it will get easier and easier. Right now, 8 out of the 10 times I can determine where I exactly spawned without even having to touch my mouse. It helps that you know the map but it will take away the feeling that you're lost or getting lost at all, something you will never get back. If I get lost in a forest for example, I know in which area I am. So whatever direction I take, I know where I'm going to end up at and from there I can continue on. The only downside is that I would've lost some time because of unnecessary traveling.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 2

Post a screenshot in here and someone will give you a starting point vague enough to keep it interesting. 

On 08/01/2019 at 5:17 AM, robbyj said:

play on a community server with the debug menu enabled

Not able to figute out how to enable the debug menu

When you spawn look down at your feet and use the ground texture to determine your location. For instance, if you look down and see a rock, you now know that your location is on a rock. If you look down and see a pavement, you now know your location is on a road. Using this method I never fail to determine my location within 10 seconds of spawning.

Brilliant advice buddy i have no idea why i did not think of that

• Thanks 1

Super easy: run along the main costal road until you are entering/exiting a city. There should be small white signs along the main road with the city name. Then go to Izurvive.com and look at the city names till you see your city, ezpz.