Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

DayZ Launcher is Inefficient

Just so people reading this know, I run a few servers in SA and had a server in DayZ mod back in 2012-2013. When 2013 started I installed rMod for my server which was a mod that unlocked everything in Arma 2. This was a client-side modification that players needed to download and install manually in order to play the server.

Most of the board here is presumably well versed with mod installation so you're going to have to take OFF your thinking cap for this to make sense...

Getting players to download a .rar or .zip file and decompress it for rMod, then take the contents (folder with .pbo's) and put it in the appropriate folder (Steam>Steam Apps>Common>DayZ) was a living hell. There might have been a launch parameter too, can't remember. Trust me, the vast majority found it extremely difficult to accomplish without several levels of help.

FFW to DayZ SA...

I saw the Winter Chernarus mod by Crazy Mike (thanks Mike!) and I just had to have it installed for the community. Not only did I announce to my community through the proper channels and platforms that we were using a mod (1 mod), but I also indicated they needed to download a mod in the server description (in caps) to make the transmission even easier.

The result was population dropped by two 3rd's. The vast majority posted they couldn't join and had received kick messages they were missing x,y,z. When in the server personally I saw people trying to join but getting kicked for missing textures/pbo that were required from the mod. 

Instructing players to the proper pathway for installation (DayZ>Workshop>Find Mod(Winter)>Subscribe) and enabling the mod through the launcher (DayZ>DayZ Launcher>Mods(left-sidebar)>tick box for Winter>Play) is simply too many hoops for the average player to do...especially organically (w/o external help). Not only that but you have to start the game in some cases for the download to start which can cause a lot of confusion believe it or not...maybe not you, but others do find it very confusing.

I remember Dean saying at one point he wanted the launching of mods in SA to work like Space Engineer's did. When you click on a server to join, Steam automatically downloads and applies the mods in the background.

Find>Click>Play...thats the algorithm for success.

As it is currently we have...Click>Find>Click>Find>Click...then...Click>Click>Find>Click>Click>Click.

We removed the mod and back to vanilla. There are a few more mods I want to get in there, but I'm apprehensive due to additional hoops for people to jump through.

Is the launcher going to be updated or is this finalized?

Getting on to a modded server should be hassle-free and I believe the current system doesn't execute efficiently like Dean wanted it to. The system should work like:

1. Find Server
  2. Click to Join Server
  3. Game Downloads & Applies Mods On It's Own
  4. Play a Modded DayZ

EDIT: I find it not only very atypical, but also annoying that I have to wait 60 seconds to make an edit to my post after posting. I often make typo's due to my typing style.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
uggh...lame
  • Beans 2

47 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Getting on to a modded server should be hassle-free and I believe the current system doesn't execute efficiently like Dean wanted it to. The system should work like:

1. Find Server
  2. Click to Join Server
  3. Game Downloads & Applies Mods On It's Own
  4. Play a Modded DayZ

I appreciate you're (as far as I can tell) talking about the current ingame browser. But (at the risk of repeating myself) my experience of the DZSL is precisely as you describe it. The browser automatically downloads the mods you need to play the server you selected, and then you're in. 

Thought everyone was using DZSA launcher rather than the official launcher as the official ones garbage and doesn't auto download required mods for servers properly. Pretty much every DayZ streamer has been plugging it as the easiest most functional launcher. Might wanna give that a try dude. Hope this helps you and your server, I guess just direct your players to launch through DZSA instead and it'll auto download required files and simply login once done .

• Beans 2

Yeah, DZSALauncher is the way to go. All the mods you need for a server downloads when you click the join button and you don't have to wait 10 minutes for the server list to populate.

Easy-Peasy.

• Beans 2

On 1/6/2019 at 12:21 AM, TheYetiBum said:

Thought everyone was using DZSA launcher rather than the official launcher as the official ones garbage and doesn't auto download required mods for servers properly. Pretty much every DayZ streamer has been plugging it as the easiest most functional launcher. Might wanna give that a try dude. Hope this helps you and your server, I guess just direct your players to launch through DZSA instead and it'll auto download required files and simply login once done .

On 1/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Yeah, DZSALauncher is the way to go. All the mods you need for a server downloads when you click the join button and you don't have to wait 10 minutes for the server list to populate.

Easy-Peasy.

I forgot about that. Thank you both for the reminder. 

• Like 1