Sign in to follow this  
[Gen]Adzic

My Story

I've been trying out some DayZ since 1.0, figure it's about time since I've been sitting on this title for years and 1.0 means we're now there right? (yeah let's not go into that)

Anyway here's a little adventure I went on over the space of three separate nights, all happenings in the same server. Spawned at Solnechiy (I don't know why but I spawn there 90% of the time!) and went on a looting trek, looking a bit like this (remember over three nights of 2-3 hour sessions) I basically circled around the map

2rzw6s0.jpg

Got quite lucky near spawn and found a Scorpion with mag and bullets in a police station (the small ones that usually only seem to spawn police clothing) found myself a backpack and a couple water bottles, enough for a fair sized trek anyway. Stopped by a few military spots on the way, but by far the most fruitful lootspot of the whole journey (in regards of weapons and clothing) was by killing two highly stacked up guys who were looting some tents near Staryoye. I did ask if they were friendly but the crack of a bullet just missing me was enough to know that wasn't gonna be the case. I only just scraped through the encounter which went on for almost 10 minutes, it was like a wild goose chase, one of them went down quite easily, I was taking hits, running away to bandage in cover whenever I could.. my heart thumping the whole time, my fingers slipping off and miss-pressing keys in a panic I aint felt in DayZ for years, loved it! Anyway looted one of the guys grabbed all his mil gear and weapons, went over to to check the other guy but his body had already disappeared (you need to fix that devs!) so waited for my blood and health to get back to relative normality, keeping a close eye on the are incase anyone else turned up and off I went.

For the next two nights of playtime nothing really eventful happened, I did have a guy run into a hunting cabin I was also inside looting but he just saw me, turned and ran off without interaction, like he saw me in my mil gear and thought "fuck that see ya later pal" and I never ran into him again. So it was just me and my trusty compass, stopping at small towns and random houses in the wilderness to find food and eat, to top up water bottles that I'd managed to swap out for canteens over time.. all the way around the map until my journey came to an abrupt end near Balota, a rather silly and very DayZ way to end any story.. twas this kinda door that killed me

2d7wqbt.png

I was running from some zombies as I'd ran out of ammo in my pistol and went to open that stupid door while running toward it, it opened and I thought I ran inside turned to close the door (all this happening very fast so I could get in, shut door and be safe) but I got stuck in some weird laggy void between the door and outside, like the game didn't know if I was in or out of the building and them zombies just smacked me to death, all I could do is watch as the screen went black, my health icon turn red and you know the rest.. generally a lot of cursing while blankly staring, face in palm at the "You are Dead" screen.

I enjoyed myself for sure but I think I'm gonna wait some more before embarking on another adventure.. honestly the game is getting better. I especially didn't think those unique DayZ feels would ever come back but they did! Nights were darker than dark, lighting up a fire or sparking up a flare looked brilliant and the day times looked like typical DayZ.. beautiful. I regret not taking any screenshots of my character visiting landmarks and castles, things like that...... and oh before I go I'd like to mention those hiking trails are an excellent addition to the map, they have given new means of transport rather than sticking to roads, love them too!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 2

51 minutes ago, [Gen]Adzic said:

For the next two nights of playtime nothing really eventful happened, I did have a guy run into a hunting cabin I was also inside looting but he just saw me, turned and ran off without interaction, like he saw me in my mil gear and thought "fuck that see ya later pal" and I never ran into him again. So it was just me and my trusty compass, stopping at small towns and random houses in the wilderness to find food and eat, to top up water bottles that I'd managed to swap out for canteens over time.. all the way around the map until my journey came to an abrupt end near Balota, a rather silly and very DayZ way to end any story.. twas this kinda door that killed me

2d7wqbt.png

I was running from some zombies as I'd ran out of ammo in my pistol and went to open that stupid door while running toward it, it opened and I thought I ran inside turned to close the door (all this happening very fast so I could get in, shut door and be safe) but I got stuck in some weird laggy void between the door and outside, like the game didn't know if I was in or out of the building and them zombies just smacked me to death, all I could do is watch as the screen went black, my health icon turn red and you know the rest.. generally a lot of cursing while blankly staring, face in palm at the "You are Dead" screen.

I enjoyed myself for sure but I think I'm gonna wait some more before embarking on another adventure.. honestly the game is getting better. I especially didn't think those unique DayZ feels would ever come back but they did! Nights were darker than dark, lighting up a fire or sparking up a flare looked brilliant and the day times looked like typical DayZ.. beautiful. I regret not taking any screenshots of my character visiting landmarks and castles, things like that...... and oh before I go I'd like to mention those hiking trails are an excellent addition to the map, they have given new means of transport rather than sticking to roads, love them too!

Yikes- that's a new one. Sorry to hear about the crappy ending- but sounds like you really enjoyed the other 99%. We're all dealing with issues in the game- some more severe than others... but many are still playing through it since there are a couple of niche things in game that only DayZ seems to be able to do even in its broken state. 

I think you should give it another go... take another route this time. 

• Beans 1

Enjoyed that story more than I enjoy most of the shouty ego-fests that are DayZ YouTube videos at the moment.

FWIW, I've decided just to live my survivalist life in the middle of the map on a modded winter server, hunting game with my trusty M14 and listening serenely to the PvPers in the far distance murdering each other. 

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

34 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

Enjoyed that story more than I enjoy most of the shouty ego-fests that are DayZ YouTube videos at the moment.

FWIW, I've decided just to live my survivalist life in the middle of the map on a modded winter server, hunting game with my trusty M14 and listening serenely to the PvPers in the far distance murdering each other. 

It's true... I do like folks who tell the stories about what DayZ can do versus what any other shooter can do (and often does better). 

"I went to cherno... met a guy. Killed him. Then a guy killed me. I respawned. I went to Elektro. Met a guy. Killed him. Then a guy killed me. Respawned in Berezino. Met a guy. Killed him. Then a guy killed me. I respawned at Solnichny. Ran to Kami. Died. Respawned at Svet. Jumped off a crane. Died. Respawned in cherno... and repeat."  

• Beans 2

31 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

Thanks, back in the day I used to sit on top of hills (or anywhere safe really) watching PvP'ers in Cherno, through binoculars. I had no balls back then to get involved, or rather I knew better.

I'd often go down there after calm to mop up any leftover loot, then straight back to my spot for the next show. As much as I miss them old times, this past few weeks (even parts of this story) have learned me that them times can in some ways come back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [Gen]Adzic said:

Thanks, back in the day I used to sit on top of hills (or anywhere safe really) watching PvP'ers in Cherno, through binoculars. I had no balls back then to get involved, or rather I knew better.

I'd often go down there after calm to mop up any leftover loot, then straight back to my spot for the next show. As much as I miss them old times, this past few weeks (even parts of this story) have learned me that them times can in some ways come back.

totally are back dude. I couldnt believe it and still cant. I know them game is glitched but it always was. Once you get that 'feeling' you know youre hooked.

• Beans 1

@[Gen]Adzic I think I remember you being among the skeptic ones regarding Dayz's progress and development. I got one of my buddies to run it, and he's mostly into regular FPS PVP games, and he loved Dayz for what it is. But another great story to read on and also good to see someone having a look again at it and enjoying it! Had a similar mishap with infected today when cornered into a house by a bunch of them, not being able to shut the door in time so I got mauled to death quickly and mercilessly xP

If anyone's looking for running modded, especially latest winter stuff, check out M1NDR's explanation in this video (timed to the point - the whole video is great too btw):

• Beans 2

Yeah I've been critical. Also maybe gone a little to far in things I've said but I'm a firm believer that if everyone was all like "love the game, be patient.. it's alpha" (to the point it gets your back up since we can all see the game has had a rocky ride in terms of stability, content etc) bla.. bla then what message does that send the developers? that gamers enjoy playing broken unfinished games?

In the real world I'm a calm person I don't get mad at trivial things but I think a lot of people have forgotten we bought into a promise, that we'd get a DayZ that was infinitely better than the mod.. in some ways yes we have gotten that but by god had we known it was gonna be this long (and still going) until it even caught up with what we had.. it takes a special kinda person to just be happy and content with how things have gone. 

I actually applaud the devs for sticking by the game through all the turmoil. Let's just hope and that's really all we can do, that the future is even brighter for DayZ. Honestly since I've given it another fair look I do think it's getting there, it's definately better than the last time I tried it (without zombies) but for me it's still not there yet.. the zombies still need work and a whole lot more content needs to be added whilst maintaining stability.

If you asked me "Is this the 1.0 you were expecting?" I'd have to say no sir.. this game should not be considered stable and bug free, as it is not.

Nah wasn't asking about that, I'm aware of it and yeah, that's all true you said. I guess it's still too big of a bite for developers and I believe it's the size of the team not the competence. It's just that there was always one proper way of reporting and helping address the issue sooner. And then there's that tone of useless or humorous banter without much focus on what is wrong actually.

That was the way the alpha and beta progress went on and, in small part at least, resulted in bugs we still have today in 1.0. Most just wanted to play the game before the release but failed to play the game AND report properly whenever something went wrong. This is also why games go early access at half a price or less, to get the invaluable feedback that the usually very small testing teams can't get to the developers

Cheerz!.

• Beans 1