TheYetiBum

Please Bohemia can we get character locked servers?

Firstly Hey and thanks for clicking on the post, I'm a day one console player and have followed SA development since launch on PC.

Ive found the main gripes and issues people have with console DayZ SA other than bugs and content updates are server hoppers and people ghosting into bases or ghosting combat positions mid fire fight. On PC this issue was fixed with community servers, what console would call private servers. On many of these community servers characters are locked to that specific server which completely stops anyone server hopping for loot or better positioning on an enemy combatant or base. It seems to me like a win win situation for Bohemia interactive to either allow private servers with a subset of server options for character lock, POV, Loot table timers etc or simply bring out official BI Servers with character locks enabled until a decision on private server availability for the console community is made.

this post is not a criticism or a demand but a plea from a player who wants to play this unique game the way the majority of the PC Community already get to play it.

take a look at the player figures for private hive servers versus vanilla BI Servers on PC, nobody wants to PVP, RP or base build on a server that someone can jump into with an hours of server hopping loot or server hop directly into your base.

You have the power to eliminate this issue instantly for the player base that wants a true hardcore survival experience, I wait with baited breathe.

if you agree with me please like or press the beans icon to draw attention to this post for the devs. Thankyou for your time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 24

We'll so far that's 6 views by people who dont agree as they've not commented or liked, so thats 6 server hoppers then. This game will be dead on console within a few months and the only people left playing will be server hoppers who spend all night hopping for gear and logout as soon as they see someone . 

Edited by TheYetiBum
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

We'll so far that's 6 views by people who dont agree as they've not commented or liked, so thats 6 server hoppers then. This game will be dead on console within a few months and the only people left playing will be server hoppers who spend all night hopping for gear and logout as soon as they see someone . 

I really hope the server hoppers will get tired of having to grind even just a few minutes so that they can pvp. 

I don't mind hoarders; if they're on my server and I find them, that's free loot for me haha. 

But the pvp hoppers/combat ghosters are just ruining what has the potential to be a hardcore survival masterpiece and I really don't understand the mentality; either they are cowards and looking for legit players to "pvp" with and just ambushing them or they are not skilled enough to play a real pvp game; pubg, cod, battlefield whatever. 

I really appreciate this plea to the devs you are making @TheYetiBum and hope the devs listen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

I strongly agree that each character should be locked to one server, this would definitely remove the issues with combat logging to move freely then rejoin (ghosting), server hopping and hoarding loot and the largest issue in my eyes.. DUPLICATION. 

Another game that has this concept is 7 Days To Die, where your characters progression is saved to that specific server.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

Looking at the viewers of this thread in that manner is a bit silly. It's the Internet man. You can't expect everyone that views to share there opinion.  Some of my threads have 200+ views with only 10-15 comments. I'm not going to assume they disagree just because they don't give there 2cents. 

That being said, I agree about the benefits of locked servers. Not only would it stop people from hopping, it would also encourage players to travel to other places in the map (aside from coastal towns and nwaf). Which will make for some fresh experiences and encounters.

• Like 4
  • Beans 1

While I can see the potential in hives, I do agree that locked servers offer a fairer game and the pluses that come from it easily outweigh the negatives. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bandito6000 said:

Looking at the viewers of this thread in that manner is a bit silly. It's the Internet man. You can't expect everyone that views to share there opinion.  Some of my threads have 200+ views with only 10-15 comments. I'm not going to assume they disagree just because they don't give there 2cents. 

That being said, I agree about the benefits of locked servers. Not only would it stop people from hopping, it would also encourage players to travel to other places in the map (aside from coastal towns and nwaf). Which will make for some fresh experiences and encounters.

I get your point but for what other reason could anyone disagree with my suggestion? The only reason I can see that people would want the same character across multiple servers is for the purpose of server hopping or combat logging. Feel free to let me know if any other reasons someone would think a character locked server would be a bad idea.

• Sad 1

I'm just tired of consumers on console  paying more than PC players for a product and them getting less functionality, were already guaranteed less fps and worse GPU rates so you'd think companies would do the moral thing and reduce prices in accordance with the prodct quality.There's not even been any word on whether we will get private servers ever.

Edited by TheYetiBum
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

I'm just tired of consumers on console  paying more than PC players for a product and them getting less functionality, were already guaranteed less fps and worse GPU rates so you'd think companies would do the moral thing and reduce prices in accordance with the prodct quality.There's not even been any word on whether we will get private servers ever.

I personally don't know how much more expensive it is on console,  but that extra 10 or 20 probably goes to Microsoft I'm guessing.  They have to get something out of the deal.

9 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

I get your point but for what other reason could anyone disagree with my suggestion? The only reason I can see that people would want the same character across multiple servers is for the purpose of server hopping or combat logging. Feel free to let me know if any other reasons someone would think a character locked server would be a bad idea.

And the only con I can see to this is maybe a decrease in player count due to people that only want to server hop ditching the game. That can't be too bad right?

• Like 3

Best way to fix this problem to keep characters from server hopping, is to make it so that you can't carry things with you from server to server, but instead when you join a server you always start as a new character , and your data and base building gets saved to that server only, and if you server hop to another one, you don't bring your stuff with you or character, you start as a brand new character, so that forces you to stay in one server.  

I was surprised to see they even released the game like this, where you can just carry stuff from server to server.  First time playing I was told right away to just server hop to loot, so obviously thats a problem lol..

Edited by Andrew Huk

I don't understand peoples need to server hop when you can just as easily abuse the loot cycle.

15 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

The only reason I can see that people would want the same character across multiple servers is for the purpose of server hopping or combat logging.

It's also good for meeting new people - or (at least) for being in an environment that has unexpected people in it. Playing on the same private server after a few weeks I get bored by the "community".   Why limit DayZ to a always-the-same-30-players game when you can play all across the World ?  If you like those 30 regulars on that server you can go back and hang out with them when you get back from Russia or the USA or England or Australia or Denmark or Saudi-Arabia .. <for instance>..

• Beans 1

9 minutes ago, [Gen]Adzic said:

I don't understand peoples need to server hop when you can just as easily abuse the loot cycle.

Not everyone takes this game as seriously as you, half players on xbox probably aren't even on the forum, so you can't expect everyone to abide by rules when the feature is available in game to server hop

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

It's also good for meeting new people - or (at least) for being in an environment that has unexpected people in it. Playing on the same private server after a few weeks I get bored by the "community".   Why limit DayZ to a always-the-same-30-players game when you can play all across the World ?  If you like those 30 regulars on that server you can go back and hang out with them when you get back from Russia or the USA or England or Australia or Denmark or Saudi-Arabia .. <for instance>..

You can still do that with character locked servers. Nothing stopping you having multiple characters across different servers. You'd just have to loot up again from scratch when joining a fresh server, but once you leave that server your character would stay there with said loot ready for when you want to go back. Not a high price to pay to stop hoppers, ghosters & combat loggers. Everyone would have an even playing field.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Yeah the server hopping grinders is a pain for me. There's nothing happening outside of mil bases and I hate going to a mil base to get ammo to get killed by some loot goblin appearing out of thin air.

Server lock characters has to happen I think 

• Like 3

Just remember if you agree guys/gals to hit that beans icon on my original post so a dev or media manager can see how much traction my request has.

To the players who want to server hop all day for whatever reason, I'm not suggesting all servers be character locked. Both our needs can be catered to, normal vanilla servers can be left up for you guys to hop to your hearts content , you just won't be able to do that then hop into character locked servers. That way the casual players can be seperated from the players who want to play the game in a truly hardcore way and everyone's happy.

• Beans 2

56 minutes ago, awalsh47 said:

There's nothing happening outside of mil bases 

This seems to be true lately, even the coastal cities are much quieter than they used to be. Until we get persistence fixes and bases become actually worth building people will probably just pvp where the most loot spawns

3 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

You can still do that with character locked servers. Nothing stopping you having multiple characters across different servers. You'd just have to loot up again from scratch when joining a fresh server, but once you leave that server your character would stay there with said loot ready for when you want to go back. Not a high price to pay to stop hoppers, ghosters & combat loggers. Everyone would have an even playing field.

PC

That's not the way I play  - I play Hardcore - there is a world of DayZ around this planet - my ONE character plays it, takes risks with 5,000 - 50,000 other online players. I don't want to have "several" different characters on different risks in different environments - to me that's just like playing on a LAN. I gear up as I go and then ..what?.. PVP? .. that's short-time play.. I'd rather turn up in a strange place that might be high risk and scout it out, find out what's happening when I hit the ground, if it's empty, if its got hidden stashes, military style police squads, mad players, hunters, bandits, backwoods folk, car freaks, solo artists,
It's always a pleasure to be outwitted by a smart player in DayZ, but if you're stuck on one server with only 30 regulars, you don't meet many of those..

SO if there are Shard servers (there are), that's FINE by me, I think a good percentage of PC players want to play that way (you do). If there are plmayers who want to play whitelist only, that's OK, it's just not my thing. Myself I like DayZ the way BI set it up originally, deliberately, where for every X private servers hired out, there had to be one extra open public server provided, on the public Hive.
It's fine with me if players who hire servers want them to be Private Shard or Public Hive, either way.. their choice. But the servers I go back to regularly (almost always play on) are Public Hive. If I make a bad move on one I lose on all of them.  That's the game. I don't have "plenty safe backup personas" on several different private hives. I just live till I die.

Xbox players should have the same opportunity as already exists on PC, where some servers are Shard (private, one character) and some are Public Hive (same character everywhere). Then players would have the same choice PC players have:  if they think hoppers are wrecking the game, they can join a private shard. If they want to do <fast gear up and Deathmatch>  on Saturday night, they can do that too. Both types of server exist.
IMO
If all servers were "character locked" I wouldn't play.. I don't want a list of 7 or 30 different characters at different stages and try to remember where I am and what I'm doing and what gear I have on each one, or where I stashed my barrel ? (I just kind of live out of one barrel stashed on one server somewhere on the planet earth)  .. nah. I'm ONE player, one personality, I go where I like, I communicate in whatever language the locals speak, bullets, skill, voice, as much as I can, I'm one Toon.  So I die when I die.

- Put a 1 minute logout timer on DayZ, that would stop ghosting and combat logging.
- If you don't like hoppers, go on overwatch and kill hoppers for fun (that's a game too). You know where they will show up.
- OR go to a Shard server where there are no hoppers.
- OR on open servers don't go where hoppers go. and if you go there, expect them. Plan for them like everything else in DayZ.

- OR put a five minute logout penalty if a player leaves a server after less than half an hour. That would slow down hoppers a lot.

But all this has been argued through extensively for .. 4 years...???
- For instance, I was pushing for no-log zones about 2 or 3 years ago.  

Something should be done for Xbox players to give them the same options PC players have already.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 4
  • Beans 4

@pilgrim*

I agree, I don't think players should be restricted to character locked servers only. In fact the more servers with different preset options running simultaneously the better, that way no matter the play style or the need of the individual is catered for.

the last thing I want is more restriction , but more options for everyone. Let's be honest , I'm sure BI have & are discussing widening server options for players, they already attempted hardcore FPP servers (unfortunately there not quite working correctly yet) , so there already trying to cater to there player bases varied needs.

there in the awkward situation where they can't just hand out private servers to people as that's not been done on console since battlefield 3 and that was a flat fee of about £20 a month to hire a private server from a third party company or ARK survival where you could use a second xbox as a server essentially but that brings with it it's own problems with terrible desync etc due to the lack of power as the fact that xboxs just weren't designed for this function & in all honesty I dont think an xbox one could even handle synchronising 100 players an manage all the server side calculations necessary to work.

I'm 99% sure that we will eventually see console Dayz receive character locked servers even if it's just as a test to see how many players choose to play on them, just like hardcore is being tested now (would be nice to see those fixed though so that they actually are hardcore servers).

my original post never stated that I want all servers to be character locked but it's easy to see why people would assume that's what I was requesting, I should have been clearer. We can all get what we want, but because we can't have private servers we need to request servers with multpile different variations from BI Because in all honesty I don't think we will ever receive the option to own or run out own servers or have access to mods either.

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

i agree different characters on each server is imo the best way to go on xbox

and as for private servers on xbox apparently it looks like it aint happening i had reply from BI the other day as i questioned them about private/community severs... GUTTED!! :(

screenshot of Bi reply: https://ibb.co/z83zvJg 

Edited by Djyoz
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 7:47 AM, pilgrim* said:

PC

That's not the way I play  - I play Hardcore - there is a world of DayZ around this planet - my ONE character plays it, takes risks with 5,000 - 50,000 other online players. I don't want to have "several" different characters on different risks in different environments - to me that's just like playing on a LAN. I gear up as I go and then ..what?.. PVP? .. that's short-time play.. I'd rather turn up in a strange place that might be high risk and scout it out, find out what's happening when I hit the ground, if it's empty, if its got hidden stashes, military style police squads, mad players, hunters, bandits, backwoods folk, car freaks, solo artists,
It's always a pleasure to be outwitted by a smart player in DayZ, but if you're stuck on one server with only 30 regulars, you don't meet many of those..

SO if there are Shard servers (there are), that's FINE by me, I think a good percentage of PC players want to play that way (you do). If there are plmayers who want to play whitelist only, that's OK, it's just not my thing. Myself I like DayZ the way BI set it up originally, deliberately, where for every X private servers hired out, there had to be one extra open public server provided, on the public Hive.
It's fine with me if players who hire servers want them to be Private Shard or Public Hive, either way.. their choice. But the servers I go back to regularly (almost always play on) are Public Hive. If I make a bad move on one I lose on all of them.  That's the game. I don't have "plenty safe backup personas" on several different private hives. I just live till I die.

Xbox players should have the same opportunity as already exists on PC, where some servers are Shard (private, one character) and some are Public Hive (same character everywhere). Then players would have the same choice PC players have:  if they think hoppers are wrecking the game, they can join a private shard. If they want to do <fast gear up and Deathmatch>  on Saturday night, they can do that too. Both types of server exist.
IMO
If all servers were "character locked" I wouldn't play.. I don't want a list of 7 or 30 different characters at different stages and try to remember where I am and what I'm doing and what gear I have on each one, or where I stashed my barrel ? (I just kind of live out of one barrel stashed on one server somewhere on the planet earth)  .. nah. I'm ONE player, one personality, I go where I like, I communicate in whatever language the locals speak, bullets, skill, voice, as much as I can, I'm one Toon.  So I die when I die.

- Put a 1 minute logout timer on DayZ, that would stop ghosting and combat logging.
- If you don't like hoppers, go on overwatch and kill hoppers for fun (that's a game too). You know where they will show up.
- OR go to a Shard server where there are no hoppers.
- OR on open servers don't go where hoppers go. and if you go there, expect them. Plan for them like everything else in DayZ.

- OR put a five minute logout penalty if a player leaves a server after less than half an hour. That would slow down hoppers a lot.

But all this has been argued through extensively for .. 4 years...???
- For instance, I was pushing for no-log zones about 2 or 3 years ago.  

Something should be done for Xbox players to give them the same options PC players have already.

xxP

I agree with most of what you said. 

Granted, I've only been playing since the xbox release, however I have been watching and living vicariously through YouTube day z-ers for years. 

I think the 1 min logout timer would be great to dissuade combat loggers, but, short of character locked servers, I don't think that will stop the loot hoppers. 

Something that has probably already been suggested but I haven't seen is a three hop limit per hour (off the top of my head.) 

What I mean by that is you can change servers 3 times in an hour, but then a penalty will be imposed the next (4th) time you attempt to hop, such us being locked to that last server for the remainder of the hour ie: all servers except the most recent one are inaccessible from the server list. 

What I don't agree with @pilgrim* is how you describe server locked characters being a list of 7 or 30 etc.

Firstly, imo there should only be a max of 3 characters to "live in" locked servers. 

If you wanted to be ultra hardcore, it'd be one character locked in one server and you only can change server upon death. Think of it as reincarnation, except that whether you're good or bad, you still come back as a human. 

So if it were like that, it's pretty much how you play now: one toon, you die when you die. 

Regarding killing hoppers and going to overwatch to do so, why would I go and play another game to kill hoppers if its the hoppers in this game that are the problem? 

They're hopping in this game. 

Killing other hoppers isn't going to solve anything in this game. 

And by doing that, I'd be punishing myself, since day z is the game I want to play. 

Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but the way I read it makes no sense to me. 

Anyway, I'm going to keep playing regardless of other people. 

I play my way, live or die. 

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

What I don't agree with @pilgrim* is how you describe server locked characters being a list of 7 or 30 etc.

Yes - what I meant is that if you play on a character locked server - many people are going to play on a bunch of character locked servers, so they will have one character for each server.. that might be three different servers or it might be 20 (thats how it works on PC at the moment) .  If you limit them to only playing on 3 character locked servers, then IMO  you're restricting players ability to meet each other even more.. DayZ should be a game that you play online across the world, if you want to.

But yes, I wouldn't object to having a strong penalty for changing servers quickly. No Problem.  If you log in and log out inside 10 mins, then you could have a 5 min penalty before you can log in to another server, for instance, and it could increase the more you did short logins, and decrease the longer you played on one server.. When I log on to a server, I expect to stay there for the whole game session..

The only problem about anti-hopping penalties, and no-logout zones (eg mil camps, where if you logout inside the camp you automatically die) is that whenever these were suggested, there was always a heap of argument and rants.. "suppose my mum tells me to stop playing now" or "suppose I loose my connection when I'm fighting in NWA"...  so no one came to any conclusions. Just arguments.

A lot of people said "private servers is the only answer".. but frankly I don't find those to be "really great". The same "clan", having the same buddies  every time you play might be fine, but you should have the freedom - I mean "you" your Tune.. the one person you play in the game, you in that skin - should be able wander around different DayZ servers you've never seen before, and interact with unknown players that have different attitudes and different ways of playing.

I wouldn't want to have to kill myself to change server.  But if you play on a private server and decide to go look at another server, then that's pretty much what you have to do,  respawn from zero.  That's why I mainly play public servers.

Xbox should have at least a range of choice similar to what there is on PC. = some character locked servers, some 1pp only servers.. and then see what kind of problems turn up. You know if there are character-locked servers, some of them are bound to be taken over by a "clan" who run it as they like, or just for laffs.. etc..

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

On 03/01/2019 at 2:57 AM, TheYetiBum said:

Hopefully it will not die on console, it is a great game and a lot of fun to play with friends. Personally I believe OP is right in regards to this being a major problem in the game. It takes away from the game completely. When all someone has to do is run to one location and then jump from server to server looting. Then once they have a gun with some ammo, just KOS to troll other players. Pretty lame mentality if you ask me but I guess I just like to play games fair and not be a cheap little punk. Anyway, I stopped playing because of this and server crashes, just picked it up again and would love to seem some of this quality of life stuff fixed.

[sniiip]

Edited by Max Planck
Quoted off-topic meanderings

On 1/3/2019 at 4:48 PM, TheYetiBum said:

The only reason would be availability, it would suck to get on to play with friends and the server where you have your character is full. Personally, with the current state of the game and no fix for server hopping, I would rather just deal with starting a new character on new servers but it would also be nice to load in and play my character without having to worry about people server hopping... It is to bad people are so crappy. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 8:29 AM, Andrew Huk said:

Not everyone takes this game as seriously as you, half players on xbox probably aren't even on the forum, so you can't expect everyone to abide by rules when the feature is available in game to server hop

It is not a feature, it is an exploit that people take advantage of to get an unfair edge against players who are playing the game fairly and how it was designed to be played. It is not a death match or a battle royal, it is a survival game and this server hopping ruins this type of game.

• Like 3