Sign in to follow this  
spectralio

new player things to do

I am currently in berezino, at the water pump.  I've drank like 35 times from the water well because my thirst bottle symbol was still not filled to the top.  I noticed a weird symbol next to my water bottle after quite a few drinks.  But the bottle was not yet filled and i wanted to fill it all the way.  I heard a vomiting sound although i see no vomit on the ground.  Should i be worried?

My friends are all just starting to play also and we would like to meet up, should i try to find a verhicle or what is the first order of things to do for a beginner?

The symbol that appears means your stomach is full.  If you had stopped drinking right then and there, you shouldn't have vomited, but if you continue to eat or drink with that symbol present, you'll barf for sure.

The food and drink arrows will continue to rise for a bit after you stop eating or drinking.  If you took 35 sips, you're hydration would have been fine for a good while -- long enough to loot more liquids for sure.

I would say the first order of business for a beginner is to learn the map.  As in IRL, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so use a map like iZurvive to figure out where you are and then travel around and explore the various towns, villages, military bases.  Setting little goals are a good idea -- first one could be loot for a compass to help you navigate.  Vehicles are tough to get going on most servers because they are usually missing most of their parts and it will take you ages to get them assembled -- a bunch of friends together though could speed up the process.  (just as fyi, on the server I've just put up -- Random Spawns and Forecasted Weather -- the cars come fully-assembled, so all you need to loot are the liquids -- water, oil and gas).

From my experience, don't drive a car until you've put at least 8 water bottles worth of water in the radiator and at least one container of motor oil in the engine (and some gas of course).  You'll need to top those up, but the car should run okay for a bit like that -- if you see a yellow engine light come on, pull over and shut it off immediately, otherwise the car will be dead very soon.  The yellow light is usually to warn you that you are low on something, either water or oil.

Have fun!

7 hours ago, spectralio said:

I am currently in berezino, at the water pump.  I've drank like 35 times from the water well because my thirst bottle symbol was still not filled to the top.  I noticed a weird symbol next to my water bottle after quite a few drinks.  But the bottle was not yet filled and i wanted to fill it all the way.  I heard a vomiting sound although i see no vomit on the ground.  Should i be worried?

My friends are all just starting to play also and we would like to meet up, should i try to find a verhicle or what is the first order of things to do for a beginner?

Food and water etc. don't immediately register on the level indicator- however you can see their "progress" with the ^ marks (up or down). ie: You could drink a whole canteen / bottle / handful and you could see 2 or 3 ^ stacked on top of one another for a few minutes. Gradually that indicator will continue heading in that direction until it "runs out" and you start working your way down again. I find the liquids go down a lot faster than the foods... not sure if the TYPE of food matters or not... I don't think the mechanics go that far into it. 

As for vehicles- not going to lie... that is an exercise in futility at this point. I'm not going to say "don't do it" since it's A LOT easier to get around the map in a vehicle... sort of. It takes hours to assemble a vehicle (when you don't know your way around the map) and the result, if you don't build the vehicle properly or miss a step, could literally be death. 

Personally I always reflect back on something someone in here said to me when I was new: "Enjoy being lost." I didn't get it then but I do now. 

Get lost... be confused... interact with people- get killed. Be tricked... Be dismayed... Learn... Adapt... Develop. If you get hopelessly turned around and need some guidance reach out!

I've always enjoyed the "where am I" thread from a long time ago... (going to have to get that going again...) where you could post a screenshot of your location (usually as a spawn) and someone would help get you started. It was also a bit of a competition to see if guys could figure out certain landmarks etc... anyway. 

I'm happy to help you with that if you get hung up... just reach out to me. But for now let's try and get you and your friends together. If you could get images from all of them and yourself posted in this thread, we could probably help you get together faster... then you can head inland and explore together- which is the most fun this game has to offer. 

my friend is pretty good at reading the map and heading out with it, personally i suck at it.  I knew where i was and how i was gonna run, and still i manage to get lost for a while and end up at a point i Already crossed.  my second try was better and i did get at the point i was aiming at.  I managed to find a lot of fruit and water bottles now already so for starvation i should be good.  currently at the berezino hospital, i was gonna go up and try and get the ada4x4 but i guess i dont have the parts yet.  I have 2 filled up water bottles and motor oil, but it seems i need car radiator and stuff like that also?