robbyj

DayZ 1.0(2018) VS DayZMod(2012)

For those including staff who believe significant progress has been made to DayZ. I would like to remind you what features the mod has always had by pulling information from one of the earliest available snapshots of the dayzmod website created by Rocket. This information is from 2012.

Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

Custom Medical System - ArmA II's magic medic feature is a thing of the past with this medical system - If you get shot, expect to bleed and to lose blood until you're bandaged up. Lost too much blood? Then expect to fall over unconscious. If you get shot in the leg then you won't be able to walk until you get morphine so you can man up. Pain is also a factor taken into consideration so without pain killers after taking an injury you'll continue to shake. This is medical at it's best!

Persistent Server - Fed up of spending so many hours working towards a goal or finding supplies and then the server crashes on you losing all your progress? Well with the DayZ server all stat's are saved to our external database so where ever you log off, whatever you have will be keep on you next time you come back in. This means you can spend however long you want doing what you want to do. As long as you don't die during the night!

Tons of new objects - We haven't just added in big things like weapons, we take pride in little details so expect to find things such as water canteens, a number of canned foods, junk and car parts (Along with more!) each of which have their own models, textures and UI imagery, once again all created to that high quality you expect in a full scale modification and we're sure you won't be disappointed with it. Nothing has been rushed.

Hunting and Survival - Eating and drinking is a core part of gameplay, you can tell if you need something by a very subtle GUI which doesn't effect the atmosphere, and if you don't fulfil those needs. You'll die. Wandering animals can killed and gutted (with the right tools) to gain access to their meat which can be eaten so you live longer but also to gain blood. For once these animals actually have a use.

Heavy Optimisation - The DayZ server has been designed to give the best play possible. Custom coding and edits have created a smooth running world which can easily have thousands of zombies spawned at once!

Zombies are more consistent in the mod. Melee isn't that good in the mod, but somehow it's better than standalone. Ranged combat in the mod is better by a long shot. The ability to adjust key bindings are missing from the standalone. The medical system in the mod works (you don't spawn in bleeding). You can actually build a base and have the server save your work. The only thing added to hunting was different animals and bloody hands. 

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, robbyj said:

The medical system in the mod works (you don't spawn in bleeding).

it actually also happened in the mod for a while regularly. it only happened once in standalone.

lets not talk about breaking your legs when running down stairs.

33 minutes ago, robbyj said:

You can actually build a base and have the server save your work.

to be honest, that was not always the case in the mod. i can remember a lot of stuff working badly; of course, you can only remember that, if you played consistently back then in the times until the epoch release. 

I do think, you have to keep a cool head, I think 1.0 was more a "engine feature complete" release, not a "game feature complete" release. Do I agree with that tactic? possibly not. But no reason to be either totally defending or hating on it yet.

• Beans 2

1.0 is misleading because it simply isn't that. The new engine is finally in place and over the next two years major bugs will be fixed and features and content added in. The game is currently in a mediocre state but if the developers fulfill their promise of continuing to develop the game, I think it will drastically improve over the next two years. Development has seemed so painfully slow because the creation of the engine consumed a lot of time.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

10 hours ago, g4borg said:

it actually also happened in the mod for a while regularly. it only happened once in standalone.

lets not talk about breaking your legs when running down stairs.

to be honest, that was not always the case in the mod. i can remember a lot of stuff working badly; of course, you can only remember that, if you played consistently back then in the times until the epoch release. 

I do think, you have to keep a cool head, I think 1.0 was more a "engine feature complete" release, not a "game feature complete" release. Do I agree with that tactic? possibly not. But no reason to be either totally defending or hating on it yet.

Blood and health doesn't work at all as it should. Bleeding upon joining a server is one example. Damage of any kind including melee ranged and environmental is so disconnected it's almost thoughtless. The mod isn't perfect. But it's sad it competes and bests a game with six years under its belt. It's people like you who give developers every excuse in the world that lead to the standalone getting stuck in the mud. Rather than calling out developers you cheer no matter what. You know that 1.0 wasn't ever advertised to just be an engine feature complete release. The sticker on the game that says "you're playing early access there may be bugs blah blah" got completely removed on purpose knowing full well there are more bugs with the game now than ever. 

• Beans 1

8 hours ago, Survivor1431 said:

1.0 is misleading because it simply isn't that. The new engine is finally in place and over the next two years major bugs will be fixed and features and content added in. The game is currently in a mediocre state but if the developers fulfill their promise of continuing to develop the game, I think it will drastically improve over the next two years. Development has seemed so painfully slow because the creation of the engine consumed a lot of time.

Stop moving goal posts for developers. You seem to notice that there are bugs in the 1.0 release. Why did developers remove the early access sticker from the game warning players about bugs once 1.0 got released?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, robbyj said:

Stop moving goal posts for developers. You seem to notice that there are bugs in the 1.0 release. Why did developers remove the early access sticker from the game warning players about bugs once 1.0 got released?

I'm not moving goal posts. I'm observing basic logic and facts about reality. The new engine delayed development, so now that it is in place development will be much quicker. I don't think it should be called 1.0, but I don't really care what they call it as long as they continue development, which they have explicitly stated they will.

Edited by Survivor1431

I think some people need to go back and play the mod. Nostalgia is a dangerous drug my friend. You think it's the greatest until you actually live it again, and realize it's not what it once was.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Survivor1431 said:

Exactly . It’s incredibly disappointing that the developers allowed this fake 1.0 to come out solely to respark interest in dayz and make big sales for Xmas of 2018.

If they were doing things like they used to , they would have fully fleshed out a true 1.0 with aerial vehicles , barricading , soft skills and everything before labeling it 1.0 .

Its the principle of the thing , before this whole crap fest the devs were always about principle and doing things the right way and calling things as they are , and now we get 2 month betas for a game that’s been struggling in alpha for 5 years ; and on top of that we get hit with a 1.0 that doesn’t represent what we all envisioned at any point in dayz sa development .

• Beans 1

3 hours ago, Survivor1431 said:

I'm not moving goal posts. I'm observing basic logic and facts about reality. The new engine delayed development, so now that it is in place development will be much quicker. I don't think it should be called 1.0, but I don't really care what they call it as long as they continue development, which they have explicitly stated they will.

How do you know it will be quicker? Even after the "new" engine which we don't really know how different it really is. They had a long stress test period where very little happend. Still they went beta and shortly after 1.0. Even when much stuff was broken. 

It is not at all "basic logic facts" that the speed will pickup.  BiS has other projects in the works and its not unusual that crew move between projects. 

The Vigor project is something they get payed by Microsoft to make. Probably with many deadlines. They can't fuck around like with DayZ there. 

DayZ is the only project where they have already made most of the money from. DayZs hype is more or less gone and reviews are mediocre at best. So it will take alot of work to fix the game and get the reputation back to get some new paying players.  So DayZ is no doubt on a lower priority then other projects. 

So no it's not at all certain the speed of DayZ development will pick up. If anything judging from DayZs slow development pace, there is NOTHING that indicates stuff will pick up. Year after year the development has been slow. 

So to say its a fact that the speed will pick up is ludicrous, when nothing really point towards that it will happen. I mean it would be great if it did, because I don't think people want another 5 years for a real 1.0. But so far BiS has not in any way indicated that the development has picked up. 

Edited by Evilsausage
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

Shame on the devs for taking holidays over the holidays.  The should have worked right through Christmas just so you ingrates could have more content... aka guns.

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Shame on the devs for taking holidays over the holidays. 

It is actually. Holidays are a privilege not an entitlement. DayZ launches in October? Great... everyone is on holidays. DayZ launches on the 13th of December? Sorry folks you're taking off early or you're taking off late but we're working through Christmas. This isn't a fucking Christmas Carol. It's business.

5 years they spent stumbling from one excuse to the next... every fucking year after year... And they decide to do their "EPIC 1.0 RELEASE" 10 days before Christmas instead of 10 days after. Why did we NEED DayZ 1.0 on the 13th? Why did we even need an update? 

Why? Because of the cash influx they'd expect around Christmas. There is NO other reason... literally none. 

And that's fine- businesses are supposed to make money and I'm sure they did but this was a near sighted and optimistic play on their part and the player base is pissed. All the player base would expect is that someone stayed at the helm to weather the inevitable storms of a release of this nature. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Hi, I am from Russia and I am a fan of "DayZ". I play not so long, and would like to note (share my opinion). To me, and probably to many others, it does not give rest that after a short time spent in the game, there is no monotony of the actions of the game. Dear developers, give us a little arcade. Make it possible to get achievements in the game (kill 50k zombies, ... people, animals, and so on). To have something to do in the game, in addition to collecting items and killing other players. The weapon in the game is not dangerous at all (it is necessary to shoot the entire pistol clip into the head of the enemy so that he would die) I'm not afraid to run around the cities, if they shoot me, I easily run away, hide and start to defend.

Respectfully fan of Dayz mod and Dayz SA.

I played the mod when we all could interact with dean on this forum and give opinions which were actually considered and put into game, I was here when he left and the dev team changed up and continued the work, I’m still here and so are the devs, this coulda been left as a release over a yr ago but no were still here getting updates, it’s not finished and it’s better than it was back then, we still got a ways to go but the devs are still here with us, because we still have devs working at it listening to constructive feedback tells me this is gonna be the game we all wanted from the mod we started with, patience my friends, all will be revealed, and a happy new year 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

How do you know it will be quicker? Even after the "new" engine which we don't really know how different it really is. They had a long stress test period where very little happend. Still they went beta and shortly after 1.0. Even when much stuff was broken. 

It is not at all "basic logic facts" that the speed will pickup.  BiS has other projects in the works and its not unusual that crew move between projects. 

The Vigor project is something they get payed by Microsoft to make. Probably with many deadlines. They can't fuck around like with DayZ there. 

DayZ is the only project where they have already made most of the money from. DayZs hype is more or less gone and reviews are mediocre at best. So it will take alot of work to fix the game and get the reputation back to get some new paying players.  So DayZ is no doubt on a lower priority then other projects. 

So no it's not at all certain the speed of DayZ development will pick up. If anything judging from DayZs slow development pace, there is NOTHING that indicates stuff will pick up. Year after year the development has been slow. 

So to say its a fact that the speed will pick up is ludicrous, when nothing really point towards that it will happen. I mean it would be great if it did, because I don't think people want another 5 years for a real 1.0. But so far BiS has not in any way indicated that the development has picked up. 

Game development is slow in the best of cases. "Development speed" will stay the same, but the perceived speed of development will increase because now that the engine is in place, developers can make more frequent updates to features and content, as opposed to working on the foundation for the game itself. A lot of content was worked on but left out of the current release because it made more sense to wait for the new engine before implementing. Now that the engine is in place, more frequent updates can be made that have an immediate impact on the player's experience.

Edited by Survivor1431

1 hour ago, Survivor1431 said:

Game development is slow in the best of cases. "Development speed" will stay the same, but the perceived speed of development will increase because now that the engine is in place, developers can make more frequent updates to features and content, as opposed to working on the foundation for the game itself. A lot of content was worked on but left out of the current release because it made more sense to wait for the new engine before implementing. Now that the engine is in place, more frequent updates can be made that have an immediate impact on the player's experience.

A bit naive to asume that, when based on BiS record. DayZs development hasn't shown any sign that things will get done faster.  Sure they say this Engine is easier to work with. But there are many other factors that can play a role in DayZs slow development.  Like the things I mentioned. We have no idea how many are really working full time on DayZ currently. 

I might sound negative, but after more then 5 years of the Devs delaying stuff. It doesn't give me any hope the development will pick up. I'll belive that when I see it. 

• Beans 1

10 minutes ago, Evilsausage said:

A bit naive to asume that, when based on BiS record. DayZs development hasn't shown any sign that things will get done faster.  Sure they say this Engine is easier to work with. But there are many other factors that can play a role in DayZs slow development.  Like the things I mentioned. We have no idea how many are really working full time on DayZ currently. 

I might sound negative, but after more then 5 years of the Devs delaying stuff. It doesn't give me any hope the development will pick up. I'll belive that when I see it. 

It is not an assumption...it is literally the case. They were working on a new engine, content was created behind the scenes in the meantime that has not yet been implemented into the new engine. Now the new engine is in place, so they have more time to bug-fix and implement content/features.

For all beginners frustrated with DayZ, I have created a step-by-step guide so you can become an amazingly skilled player like me:

Edited by Survivor1431
  • Beans 1

9 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Shame on the devs for taking holidays over the holidays.  The should have worked right through Christmas just so you ingrates could have more content... aka guns.

Coffee is for closers.

12 hours ago, Survivor1431 said:

It is not an assumption...it is literally the case. They were working on a new engine, content was created behind the scenes in the meantime that has not yet been implemented into the new engine. Now the new engine is in place, so they have more time to bug-fix and implement content/features.

For all beginners frustrated with DayZ, I have created a step-by-step guide so you can become an amazingly skilled player like me:

Well Survivor1431 lets see in a year what the state of DayZ is. Belive me, I want that to be true aswell.

However stating it as a fact that it will, just because of a new engine, that is naive. Not saying it can't. But its far from a certainty.  You have know idea the amount of people working on DayZ currently and how high priority it is to complete the game as fast as possible. 

Edited by Evilsausage

20 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

This a piss take?

14 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

I’m guessing five people TOPS are working on dayz right now zzz the rest are on vigor LMFAO . Sad but true .

Oh look, another troll thread on how the DayZ devs took our money and won't work on the game anymore.  Man, you guys have some serious issues

• Like 1

Out of date information and therefore not relevant.

Life is fluid, things change.

Lets look at old treaties signed by the Axis and Allied powers. Do those treaties "fit" now? No, things have evolved and moved on.

Im going to close this as it serves no purpose.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2