eno

What would you do?

Some of you who have been around awhile will remember our little gang of anti-heroes called the Helpy Helpers. Well, we're trying to get the gang back together for some beach patrols along the east coast between about Krutoy Cap and the south end of Berezino. At least until we get our "game" back on and can start working the rougher parts of town... 

Our original mandate evolved from "All good, all the time" to "Mercy or Mayhem" on account of how it sucked to get killed every time we tried giving people the benefit of the doubt. Eventually, if you were new to the game and needed some help or some tips, then we'd gladly provide and if you wanted to be a shit pump then we were happy to oblige and mow you down like grass. Oh... and even when they're back in game do NOT approach DaveB with a fire extinguisher- even with good intentions. You've been warned.

Now that we're gradually getting a few of our originals back on board I thought I'd reach out and see if there were some new creative ways of sitting people in the proverbial corner so they can think about what they've done. 

Imagine the following scenario: 

You and three friends are working the coast south of the factory between Sol and Nizhnoye and see a fresh spawn running down the beach towards you. He gets to about 50 feet from you and stops... probably didn't see you at first but now he does and he's not sure what to do. He stands still.

"Hey there," you call out... all but one guy puts his weapons away. "Don't worry you're good with us... We won't do anything to ya." 

Silence. Your group approaches... keeping your feet moving since this could just be "freshie bait" for a team of snipers talking to this guy over third party comms. 

"Okay well you're not very talkative, that's for sure. Try Caps Lock to talk using voice or if you don't have a mic, just chat using the T key."

A few seconds later you see the word "Hi can you see this?" pop up on the bottom left corner of your screen. 

"Well hello back friend. Are you new to the game?" 

"Yes." 

"Awwwwwwww that's so cuuuuuuuute," says one of your other guys.

"Okay well tell you what... If you look at any DayZ map- just google one if you want- you are at Solnichny... middle of the east coast. You were headed north, towards Niznoye and Berezino... If you want, we can help you get some gear and food so you can head inland and explore to the west... how does that sound." 

"Really nice." 

"I like this guy," you say over 3rd party comms... 

"Me too," another says. 

"You just stick with us and we'll take care of you." 

"Okay." 

So you turn to the north and spread your group out in a diamond formation around your precious cargo. You make it to Nizhnoye and everything is nice and calm... you take the guy / girl / both / neither (c'mon let's not make it about that, okay) through a few buildings and grab some choice items. You take them to the fountain to top up some fluids and had a few cooked deer steaks to share. By some miracle you stumble into a burlap sac, make some rope out of a stack of 6 bandages your group assembles from left over pea coats and build a courier bag... then show them how to modify it using the stone knife in his inventory. 

"That's awesome thank you," pops up in the bottom left. 

"You're so polite! Are you Canadian by chance?" 

"Yes how'd you guess?" 

"Well your fantastic spelling for a start!" 

As you move out of Nizhnoye with your cargo fed, watered and geared up enough to survive the next 20 minutes thing start to turn. 

On third party comms one of your team calls out- "Contact, left. Single and geared. Long gun is out. Coming this way." 

"Rgr..." Your group heads over to the left but you forgot to include your freshie cargo so he has just blindly been running along the beach. He's alone... and exposed. 

"Shit..." 

"Hey! Buddy!" In game chat doesn't reach him.

He keeps running. 

"The geared guy is running over to him... Gun still out." 

The four of you start sprinting in that direction but you all have a bad feeling you know what is going to happen next. As if on cue, immediately after the thought of it goes through your minds, the geared character stops, takes aim… and shoots your new friend in the face.

He moves 10 steps towards your now deceased mute and looks like he’s working through the inventory… standing still. “Who’s your daddy, bitch? I’m the best player in the game and I’m legend.” Your group quickly surrounds him, weapons drawn.

“That wasn’t very nice.”

“Fuck y'all. I own 3rd grade! Read about me in the forums.”

“Hmmm, go ahead and put that weapon down.”

“No! I’ll kill all of-“

A shot to the legs knocks the guy down… and another shot quickly leads to unconsciousness.

“Quick, cuff him and bandage him. Keep him alive.” Your crew, a finely oiled machine by this point after about 10000 hours between you, is ready for the task. “What time is it?”

“2:31pm.”

“Go figure,” someone scoffs. The survivor regains consciousness in a couple seconds.

“What- why didn’t ya just kill me? I want to respawn... gotta build up my kill count.”

“Oh man… there is no fucking way we’re going to make it that easy.”

If we got extremely lucky our mute friend would spawn in the immediate area and he could cut his old body up and force feed it to the survivor. Alternatively we could take a blood bag off his new body and see if the ol’ wrong blood transfusion still worked.

So now…You’ve got a guy who, for whatever reason, just needs to go out in the longest, most frustrating, most creative way ever.

Aaaaaaand Go:

Edited by eno
  • Beans 2

Have him read this ^ post. 

Jk. Any thing to undermind kos is a good move in my book. 

Well obv force feed all you can find. And make lots and lots of selfies xD 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Have him read this ^ post. 

ouch-meme.jpg

Can you still break limbs? I haven't broken a leg since 1.0 came out...

Edited by eno
  • Haha 1

Were the helpy helpers the cross server medics as well? Call for help on a subreddit, be there anytime any place? 

No that wasn't us but I think that's where we got the idea. 

Those players and those like them (i think I remember a group akin to helpy helpers) were elements of the mod that made it truly special

• Like 2

@eno Good to see you and the Helpers Back!

I have not yet tried breaking bones in this release. 

24 minutes ago, ScipioII said:

@eno Good to see you and the Helpers Back!

I have not yet tried breaking bones in this release. 

Thanks Scipioll! We're having a good time but haven't had a lot of opportunity to interact with the world... 

I haven't gone so far as to try and bust someone up but I'm sure someone out there can confirm that legs can in fact be broken... I jumped off a crane the other day and that resulted in me hobbling around but no broken limbs. I'm going to assume I'd have no more luck with a hammer but maybe someone else knows the trick? 

The objective, of course is to be able to prolong the negative experience for those who deserve it... and short of breaking legs and putting a bag over someones head (wait a second, that sounds like playing at night with a full inventory! jk) like we used to be able to (though burlap isn't exactly like pea coats right now) I'm not sure how to restrict movement?

Anyone got any ideas? What's worked for you? 

Edited by eno

Hmm.   Not a whole lot you can do on a public hive, I reckon.

A person can easily respawn with any number of items + F11.   You can't box them in effectively if they can server hop to get out of it.  You can''t restrain them because it enables the ability to respawn through the interface.    Legs don't really break. 

Not a lot of options to make miserable people miserable, unfortunately.

Sometimes I wish actions could be tied to a steam account and people held accountable for their action, but alas, anyone can be nameless and have no morals in a simulation where there's no consequences.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Parazight said:

Hmm.   Not a whole lot you can do on a public hive, I reckon.

A person can easily respawn with any number of items + F11.   You can't box them in effectively if they can server hop to get out of it.  You can''t restrain them because it enables the ability to respawn through the interface.    Legs don't really break. 

Not a lot of options to make miserable people miserable, unfortunately.

Sometimes I wish actions could be tied to a steam account and people held accountable for their action, but alas, anyone can be nameless and have no morals in a simulation where there's no consequences.

Yeah that doesn't sound very inspiring...