preacherlr

Curing the cold

Anyone figured this out yet?

Spreads like wild fire.

Read a couple threads on it. Nobody has answers that I’ve seen. It used to be something you had to just wait out. Stay dry, warm, fed and watered. Wonder if multivitamins are an asset?

That's the only thing I've not tried.

That and a full change of clothes, but I don't see that helping tbh.

Sat away from my group for 30 minutes last night, by a fire, eating, drinking and smashing tetracyline and codeine pills. ( Codeine pills description says it cures the cold ) After 30 minutes I got bored of it and smashed my off switch. On the coast again.

How the hell you get cold in this game?

Running naked in rain all the time

Are these modded servers you guys are playing on to get these colds?  

31 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

How the hell you get cold in this game?

Running naked in rain all the time

Just like he said.  I've been drinking swamp water, eating raw meat, sitting naked in the rain and not even a sniffle

A while back when I was watching Sada's stream, he had a cold. He popped a few Codeine pills and his cold was gone.

My guess is to just survive (keep well fed and warm) 24-48h until it's over. Naturally if you find any medicine, try those.

1 hour ago, preacherlr said:

That's the only thing I've not tried.

That and a full change of clothes, but I don't see that helping tbh.

Sat away from my group for 30 minutes last night, by a fire, eating, drinking and smashing tetracyline and codeine pills. ( Codeine pills description says it cures the cold ) After 30 minutes I got bored of it and smashed my off switch. On the coast again.

Could be that you should've waited like an hour or more. 30mins sounds bit short time to wait for the medicine doing it's tricks in game like DayZ.

I was able to cure the one cold I've had so far by getting dry and staying put.  It was boring AF, but it worked.  I removed my wet clothes, replaced them with dry ones, got in a house, shut the doors and meditated for half an hour or so.  You start to notice the coughing and sneezing intervals getting longer and eventually, the sicky face disappears and the coughing/sneezing ceases.  I didn't have any meds on me -- not convinced they do anything yet -- I just sat down on the floor, went AFK, made some coffee IRL, checked email, etc. and eventually, it worked.  I was kinda hoping someone would come in and blow my brains out, but alas that's DayZ for you, you can never find what you want when you want it.  LOL

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

My guess is to just survive (keep well fed and warm) 24-48h until it's over. Naturally if you find any medicine, try those.

Could be that you should've waited like an hour or more. 30mins sounds bit short time to wait for the medicine doing it's tricks in game like DayZ.

I had the cold for over 2 hours, The 30 minutes I'm referring to was spent in a house, by a fire basically non stop eating and drinking. At this point I'm under the impression it's a bug. Old mate in the above post state he fixed it in half an hour. The only thing he did that I didn't was change clothes, so unless that's the secret.

People I play with have had the cold for days at this point. They've taken every drug they could find, stayed energized and hydrated.. 

Cured a cold.

Was white food and hunger the whole time. Changed clothes ( stripped naked, got new clothes then picked up my items out of my clothes

Had no fireplace and was outside the entire time

Did 2 animation cycles of the eating pills for both codeine and tetracyline

Ate a can of food every 10 minutes

and drank soda every 10 minutes

coughing/sneezing went from 20 seconds to 3 and a half minutes per interval

Then after another 10 or so minutes it went away and so did the sick symbol.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, preacherlr said:

Cured a cold.

Just wanted to welcome maybe the first thread factually related to survival mechanics in what seems like two years now. A small thing which might just as well suggest that we (both BI and this forum) are getting back on the track now. Thanks, OP. ;)

• Beans 1

Did a little research on this. 

This recently edited wiki states that Codeine is also used as "cough medicine" and that multivitamins help resist colds by "strengthening the immune system-" assuming of course the function is working properly. 

https://dayz.ginfo.gg/wiki/

Not sure about the credibility of the database however I've found iZurvive info to be helpful and up to date so far as I can tell. 

On 12/28/2018 at 12:19 AM, eno said:

Did a little research on this. 

This recently edited wiki states that Codeine is also used as "cough medicine" and that multivitamins help resist colds by "strengthening the immune system-" assuming of course the function is working properly. 

https://dayz.ginfo.gg/wiki/

Not sure about the credibility of the database however I've found iZurvive info to be helpful and up to date so far as I can tell. 

I think there is alot of mystery surrounding what alot of the medication and pills do. I have sooo many questions i thought about starting a new thread.

Does the alc tincture even matter to use ? or just to repair the rags to higher level ?

If multi vitamins are usefull against colds, is there a rule to how often you should eat them ? once a day ? whats the percentage buff ?  ? i mean what pills do what anyway ? i dont even see any sickness.. i think you can catch a cold and get cholera maybe.

What are Tetracycline Pills used for ? it states on the izurvive wiki "Broad spectrum antibiotics. Used to treat bacterial infectious diseases. Not effective against viruses." So are they for infections that are not in the game yet ?

What about disinfectant spray ? Does that do anything yet ? I would imagine it should be used for something like sterilizing a knife after attacking a zombie before you cut meat to cook and eat.

Why is there 2 different bandages on the wiki ? Is there a difference ? One contains disifectant maybe ?

46 minutes ago, liquidcactus said:

I think there is alot of mystery surrounding what alot of the medication and pills do. I have sooo many questions i thought about starting a new thread.

Does the alc tincture even matter to use ? or just to repair the rags to higher level ?

If multi vitamins are usefull against colds, is there a rule to how often you should eat them ? once a day ? whats the percentage buff ?  ? i mean what pills do what anyway ? i dont even see any sickness.. i think you can catch a cold and get cholera maybe.

What are Tetracycline Pills used for ? it states on the izurvive wiki "Broad spectrum antibiotics. Used to treat bacterial infectious diseases. Not effective against viruses." So are they for infections that are not in the game yet ?

What about disinfectant spray ? Does that do anything yet ? I would imagine it should be used for something like sterilizing a knife after attacking a zombie before you cut meat to cook and eat.

Why is there 2 different bandages on the wiki ? Is there a difference ? One contains disifectant maybe ?

whole system is mess.no one knows what causes what and what cures what and devs is not interested to tell anything.
dayz gamers need some "write on paper" how things are from devs

• Beans 1

8 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

Only use for disinfectant spray that I was aware of before 1.0 was to spray bugs off growing plants. This may have evolved into more uses but judging by the state of everything else I doubt it. 

43 minutes ago, eno said:

Only use for disinfectant spray that I was aware of before 1.0 was to spray bugs off growing plants. This may have evolved into more uses but judging by the state of everything else I doubt it. 

Yea.  You could spray it on plants that you grew and then give those plants to new spawns to give them a funny taste in their mouth.  Naturally, there wasn't another practical survival use. heh

disinfectant spray in the past was used on rags to disinfect the rags if they were not clean.

and sewing kits when they were used to stitch yourself up. 

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
add info

4 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

disinfectant spray in the past was used on rags to disinfect the rags if they were not clean.

and sewing kits when they were used to stitch yourself up. 

Sounds more like the alcohol tincture... but it's been awhile.