bent.toe

Forced to get fully geared up?

For me, a fully geared player with military camo, alice backpack etc, is a direct threat no matter where we meet.

I like the half and half, meaning military backpack, vest and helmet but with civilian clothes (jeans or cargo and hiking jacket or plaid shirt) to look a bit like an urban tactical operator.

But...the game forces you to wear military clothes. Civilian clothes have around 20-30 slots, military have 40+ slots. So if i choose jeans, that's 20 slots, plaid shirt is 20 slots, a ballistic vest is zero slots and a backpack (i love the coyote) is either 63 or 90.

That leaves me with roughly 110 ish slots where as fully military i get an additional 40 ish slots.

Next thing is weapons, again, you need to go to a military base. My favourite weapon of all time is the mp5, practically impossible to find in this game and if you do find it, getting ammo is near impossible. Shotgun and mosin are broken. 

No matter how you look at it, the only thing on our (or atleast many players) mind is to gear up. Once you've done that....it's either to find a car, build a base or go kill others.

Just venting my thoughts.

Edited by bent.toe

43 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

For me, a fully geared player with military camo, alice backpack etc, is a direct threat no matter where we meet.

I like the half and half, meaning military backpack, vest and helmet but with civilian clothes (jeans or cargo and hiking jacket or plaid shirt) to look a bit like an urban tactical operator.

But...the game forces you to wear military clothes. Civilian clothes have around 20-30 slots, military have 40+ slots. So if i choose jeans, that's 20 slots, plaid shirt is 20 slots, a ballistic vest is zero slots and a backpack (i love the coyote) is either 63 or 90.

That leaves me with roughly 110 ish slots where as fully military i get an additional 40 ish slots.

Next thing is weapons, again, you need to go to a military base. My favourite weapon of all time is the mp5, practically impossible to find in this game and if you do find it, getting ammo is near impossible. Shotgun and mosin are broken. 

No matter how you look at it, the only thing on our (or atleast many players) mind is to gear up. Once you've done that....it's either to find a car, build a base or go kill others.

Just venting my thoughts.

idk about how it is in the xbox version, but are you sure the ballistic vest has no slots?

i'm not talking about the anti-stab vest (or the military one), but the one that has "Press" written on it. in the PC version it has i think about 20 or 25 slots.

next thing that i think should be the same in xbox version: MP5s are police type loot, so you should be able to find it in police stations, at police car wrecks, the small green guardhouses and the guard offices (3 doors, main, office and bathroom, idk how i should explain it better, i have no image at hands right now). those buildings can be found easily in urban, industrial and military areas all over the map. and yes, it's hard to find boxed 9mm ammo, but i come across loose ammo on a regular basis.

the UMP (as an alternative for the MP5) seems to be military loot (if im not mistaken), and it feels to me, that you find M4s and AKs more often than the UMP.

Yeah last time I checked my military pants have more pockets and definitely hold more items than my designer jeans can... lol That doesn't mean they force you to wear them in the game. 

7 minutes ago, HaseDesTodes said:

idk about how it is in the xbox version, but are you sure the ballistic vest has no slots?

i'm not talking about the anti-stab vest (or the military one), but the one that has "Press" written on it.

he might be talking about the plate carrier.

for real tho bent, you don't need mili clothes at all. tactical shirt, cargo pants, press vest and you can ditch the backpack, if running with 1 weapon is fine for you. total 84 slots which is enough to be lethal and survive anything.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HaseDesTodes said:

i'm not talking about the anti-stab vest (or the military one), but the one that has "Press" written on it. in the PC version it has i think about 20 or 25 slots.

next thing that i think should be the same in xbox version: MP5s are police type loot, so you should be able to find it in police stations, at police car wrecks, the small green guardhouses and the guard offices (3 doors, main, office and bathroom, idk how i should explain it better, i have no image at hands right now). those buildings can be found easily in urban, industrial and military areas all over the map. and yes, it's hard to find boxed 9mm ammo, but i come across loose ammo on a regular basis.

the UMP (as an alternative for the MP5) seems to be military loot (if im not mistaken), and it feels to me, that you find M4s and AKs more often than the UMP.

The beige plate carrier. Zero slots (well it does have two circles...no idea).

The press vest is 20.

I know where to look for the mp5 and i found it a couple of times but gathering ammo and magazines are nowhere as easy as for the akm or m4. 

Ump is not for me...not any more. 

You don't need all of that tho.

I'm rocking an improved improvised backpack, ballistic vest, cargos, bdu jacket, m4, 3 mags, .45 w/extra mag, 4 bandages, matches, compass, food, canteen, sodas, lockpick, cuffs, key, de steak knife, combat knife, and shovel. With a lil more than half a sprint bar and room for more stuff.

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, bent.toe said:

The beige plate carrier. Zero slots (well it does have two circles...no idea).

in theory there are 2 attachments for the plate carrier, a pistol holder and pouches. but i haven't seen them in the current versions, even if that doesn't have to mean they don't spawn, i think the are not in the game right now.

1 hour ago, nikoor said:

he might be talking about the plate carrier.

as i mentioned: "i'm not talking about [..] the military one".

but yes you are right, i just didn't remember how it was called, 

as you want alternatives for military gear, i guess the ballistic vest might be something for you then. protection shouldn't be as good as with the plate carrier, but you got some inventory space.

1 hour ago, bent.toe said:

I know where to look for the mp5 and i found it a couple of times but gathering ammo and magazines are nowhere as easy as for the akm or m4. 

that's probably true. i guess the problem is, that there are so many possible spawn locations spread all over the map, while the military ones are concentrated in a few clusters.

i hope the get the right balancing soon. because i think it should be as easy to find an MP in a police station, as it should be to find a military rifle in barracks.

You don't need all those slots. Dump some stuff. I wear stupid clothing all the time just because. You don't need the weapons either. Slots and weapons just makes things easier.

Yeah, the end-game stuff is most all military. That's what most people expect, though. 

8 hours ago, HaseDesTodes said:

protection shouldn't be as good as with the plate carrier, but you got some inventory space.

why have I allways believed they are the same? any info somewhere about this?

Edited by nikoor

9 minutes ago, nikoor said:

why have I allways believed yhey are the same? any info somewhere about this?

no idea, that's just how i think it should be and probably is.

the normal ballistic vest is civilian, while the the plate carrier is a military vest. irl, i would expect the military vest to be able to stop direct fire from rifles, while the press vest is more for ricochets and fragmentation

but i have never tested it (both, ingame and irl :) ).

4 minutes ago, HaseDesTodes said:

no idea, that's just how i think it should be and probably is.

the normal ballistic vest is civilian, while the the plate carrier is a military vest. irl, i would expect the military vest to be able to stop direct fire from rifles, while the press vest is more for ricochets and fragmentation

but i have never tested it (both, ingame and irl :) ).

I mihgt be wrong by saying they are the same, they reduce bleeding the same amount tho.

If you were press and went to a war zone to cover the news and you'd wear one you'd think it's the same as any other ballistic vest.

12 minutes ago, nikoor said:

If you were press and went to a war zone to cover the news and you'd wear one you'd think it's the same as any other ballistic vest.

sure, most people would get the best protection they can. but for a matter of fact, the press vest looks/is different from the military plate carrier. so there probably is a difference.

i think that i have once read, that ballistic vests are classified as "defensive weapons" in germany, meaning there are restrictions on who is allowed to buy, and on the export.

i don't really know about other states, but i can't imagine that they would allow military grade vests to get into the hands of terrorists, insurgents or normal criminals.

press representatives will surely get a permission more easily, but i think for the game, we could say, that the civilian ballistic vest (aka press vest) is a normal civilian ballistic vest, and therefor shouldn't offer as much protection as the plate carrier.

29 minutes ago, nikoor said:

I mihgt be wrong by saying they are the same, they reduce bleeding the same amount tho.

i can't tell anything about it, i can't remember being shot at with any of both. but there might be more factors than just bleeding protection (eg. how fast it get ruined, health damage, effects of different projectiles/speeds)

i guess i should do some tests sometime to find out how it is in the game.

11 hours ago, HaseDesTodes said:

i hope the get the right balancing soon. because i think it should be as easy to find an MP in a police station, as it should be to find a military rifle in barracks.

Agree.

Hate being forced to go to MB's and MC's to get good gear.

3 hours ago, nikoor said:

why have I allways believed they are the same? any info somewhere about this?

The plate carrier is the ballistic vest. They named swapped a few times on the PC. Not sure what it's called on the Xbox version, but I always call it a plate carrier because that's what it has always been for me, as shown in my profile photo. 

My understanding, for protection, it is ballistic vest/plate carrier > press vest > anti-stab vest > tactical vest > field vest. 

It's nearly reverse for slots however, except anti-stab and plate carrier/ballistic don't have any capacity.

The best of both words is probably the press vest, as it carries a bit, protects a bit and isn't too cumbersome. Where the anti-stab is good against slash attacks it isn't good against projectiles. Where the ballistic vest is the best against rifles and handguns, it doesn't have any capacity. (At least not for the Xbox version, as the pouches and carrier-specific holster isn't in-game yet).

So the press vest can mitigate slash attacks and to some degree handguns (mitigate, not proofed), but not direct rifle shots, and still lets you carry a few slots. Not bad for being on the move while also being a bit cautious. 

1 hour ago, The Stray Bullet said:

The plate carrier is the ballistic vest. They named swapped a few times on the PC. Not sure what it's called on the Xbox version, but I always call it a plate carrier because that's what it has always been for me, as shown in my profile photo. 

My understanding, for protection, it is ballistic vest/plate carrier > press vest > anti-stab vest > tactical vest > field vest. 

The field and tactical vests offer zero protection and antistab is only for sharp objects

1 hour ago, The Stray Bullet said:

The plate carrier is the ballistic vest. They named swapped a few times on the PC. Not sure what it's called on the Xbox version, but I always call it a plate carrier because that's what it has always been for me

yes I know the difference by name and cosmetics. They're named the same on xbox too but all the charts I've seen shows both of them having exact same stats for bullet protection, bleed and stuff. And this is what I keep hearing. After giving it a second look I'd think the plate carrier protects you more than press vest but how to tell when there's no actual up to date data to present the stuff.

Edited by nikoor

Spent two hours looking for an mp5 around police stations and police cars. I finally found one and 30 minutes later i found 2 magazines.

Where? In military bases......the guard houses at the entrance. So we are forced to go to a military base.

I truly hope the dev's add more ammo, magazines and mp5's in police stations. It makes it somewhat easier for respawns and people that don't want military gear to defend themself when and if they go inlands.

Also, the police cars are spawnable so it's very random if you run into one and IF it has an mp5 (not likely).

On 12/25/2018 at 9:52 AM, bent.toe said:

Ump is not for me...not any more. 

Why don't you like the UMP? 

I'm the opposite; I'll drop the mp5 for the Ump in a heartbeat. .45cal>9mm imo. 

I haven't tested it in the latest patch, but the mp5 dropped a zed after 3 shots to the upper chest, where the Ump or FNX (same ammo) drops them in one... 

I'll drop the FNX, though coz of jamming, however I've never had a Ump jam on me, yet (knock on wood)... 

12 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

Why don't you like the UMP? 

I'm the opposite; I'll drop the mp5 for the Ump in a heartbeat. .45cal>9mm imo. 

I haven't tested it in the latest patch, but the mp5 dropped a zed after 3 shots to the upper chest, where the Ump or FNX (same ammo) drops them in one... 

I'll drop the FNX, though coz of jamming, however I've never had a Ump jam on me, yet (knock on wood)... 

I kill zombies with 1 shot to the torso with the mp5.

The ump is too big for an smg and i see no point in having a weapon as large as the M4 but with a magazine with 5 bullets less and slower fire rate. Also, the mp5 is 15 slots.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 10:13 AM, nikoor said:

yes I know the difference by name and cosmetics. They're named the same on xbox too but all the charts I've seen shows both of them having exact same stats for bullet protection, bleed and stuff. And this is what I keep hearing. After giving it a second look I'd think the plate carrier protects you more than press vest but how to tell when there's no actual up to date data to present the stuff.

Ah. Yes. Stat tracking seems sparse at best. From appearances alone, I would assume plate carrier protects better than the press vest, but without data to back this up (i.e. as you said, they are claimed to be the same), I cannot say with certainty. By weight penalty alone, I would (again) assume that the PC/BV offers more protection than the press vest. 

Who knows with DayZ haha. What seems intuitive is not always the case. 

• Beans 1

On 12/27/2018 at 1:59 AM, bent.toe said:

I kill zombies with 1 shot to the torso with the mp5.

The ump is too big for an smg and i see no point in having a weapon as large as the M4 but with a magazine with 5 bullets less and slower fire rate. Also, the mp5 is 15 slots.

Those are really good points. 

Maybe I'll swap my Ump for an mp5 when I find one... 

2 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

Those are really good points. 

Maybe I'll swap my Ump for an mp5 when I find one... 

Unfortunally it's too hard to find either the mp5 or magazines. Bullets are even harder.

I truly hope they double the amount of mp5 stuff in each server.

Yeah I really want to give the mp5 a try but it's extremely hard to find. I either get the gun or the mag but never at the same time. M4s,umps and aks  are easier to get and normally I ditch the mp5 for the greater firepower the other 3 guns provide.

I'd love to try the mp5 though some time it's just police stations are always looted bare and extremly dangerous. Nearly not worth looting. I've had way more dangerous encounters in police stations than I've had in a mil base so far.