Sign in to follow this  
Survivor1431

Intense encounter and firefight

For all the annoying bugs and lack of content I was reminded once again about the magic of DayZ.

I looted up in Kamyshovo and was semi-geared with a loaded pistol as I headed to Staroye military base. After looting Staroye village I had a full backpack of various useful items. I then headed to the military base. Upon arrival I find some human flesh with magazines beside it outside the base. I had also heard a shotgun go off in the area a few minutes ago, so I was on the lookout. I circle around the base so I can enter from the treeline. As I approach the base I notice a semi-geared player looting the base. I hid and tried to watch him, but then he noticed or heard me. He climbed up a ladder onto the wooden platform and I lost sight of him. Then I realized he had hopped off the platform and landed outside the base to flank me as I see him show up behind me. I unload 15 shots with my CR75 but I was nervous and missed most or all with my shaky aim. He fired his shotgun and hit me. I was quite injured and limping. I desperately load the second magazine into my CR75 as he reloads, praying that I don't die. Finally my gun is reloaded and I fire a few more shots and see him fall to the ground. I am bleeding and injured so I immediately apply a bandage. I go to his body and confirm that he is dead. I could still feel the adrenaline coursing through me as well as excitement that I had survived. I looted his body although he only had a bit of ammo and basic gear on him. I retreat paranoid that someone else is nearby or approaching and hide in the trees to let my health recover. I then return and loot the military base and make it out safely, still feeling the adrenaline from a few minutes ago.

There's no other game that gives me this intense rush and the sense that my character really matters, and the feeling that I can lose all the loot I've spent hours finding in a matter of seconds. I'm looking forward to when the major bugs are fixed and the new content gets added in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

9 hours ago, Survivor1431 said:

For all the annoying bugs and lack of content I was reminded once again about the magic of DayZ.

I looted up in Kamyshovo and was semi-geared with a loaded pistol as I headed to Staroye military base. After looting Staroye village I had a full backpack of various useful items. I then headed to the military base. Upon arrival I find some human flesh with magazines beside it outside the base. I had also heard a shotgun go off in the area a few minutes ago, so I was on the lookout. I circle around the base so I can enter from the treeline. As I approach the base I notice a semi-geared player looting the base. I hid and tried to watch him, but then he noticed or heard me. He climbed up a ladder onto the wooden platform and I lost sight of him. Then I realized he had hopped off the platform and landed outside the base to flank me as I see him show up behind me. I unload 15 shots with my CR75 but I was nervous and missed most or all with my shaky aim. He fired his shotgun and hit me. I was quite injured and limping. I desperately load the second magazine into my CR75 as he reloads, praying that I don't die. Finally my gun is reloaded and I fire a few more shots and see him fall to the ground. I am bleeding and injured so I immediately apply a bandage. I go to his body and confirm that he is dead. I could still feel the adrenaline coursing through me as well as excitement that I had survived. I looted his body although he only had a bit of ammo and basic gear on him. I retreat paranoid that someone else is nearby or approaching and hide in the trees to let my health recover. I then return and loot the military base and make it out safely, still feeling the adrenaline from a few minutes ago.

There's no other game that gives me this intense rush and the sense that my character really matters, and the feeling that I can lose all the loot I've spent hours finding in a matter of seconds. I'm looking forward to when the major bugs are fixed and the new content gets added in.

I'm still waiting for them to implement an ability to turn off friendly fire in the server settings for PVE servers.  I understand that adrenaline rush is why many people play DayZ, but there are also a lot of us out there with PTSD.  We don't enjoy the activation of our sympathetic nervous systems.  And I've never been a fan of losing hours of effort for a few seconds of action.  Seems far from worth it.

12 hours ago, NachoNinjaGnome said:

I'm still waiting for them to implement an ability to turn off friendly fire in the server settings for PVE servers.  I understand that adrenaline rush is why many people play DayZ, but there are also a lot of us out there with PTSD.  We don't enjoy the activation of our sympathetic nervous systems.  And I've never been a fan of losing hours of effort for a few seconds of action.  Seems far from worth it.

After an intense fight I will take some time to regroup in safe areas as the periods of calm are important to balance the intensity. I want to see the environmental survival aspects developed more for this reason, not that I think it should be easy to survive. In my view the possibility of losing your gear at any moment, combined with the time it takes to acquire this gear, are what give the character value. It is not that I want to lose my loot or die, but that the imminent risk of losing it makes player progression more rewarding. And each time I do die, I have something new to learn to reduce the risk next time.