TheGamerTM

Day- / Nightcycle

Dear Bohemia Interactive team,

I really would like to suggest you guys a faster day and night cycle. I played DayZ back then really often when it came out and got a total of 600 hours in your game. Now I got back to your game and I gotta say: "Well done so far guys and keep going with the great work!".  Back then I also realized that the most people always prefered the servers in which the servertime was sunny. If you don't believe me you can also check this currently on your running servers. I mean when you play at night in realtime and all the servers (about 95%) are also at nighttime (which are empty or low populated); but the servers which are at daytime are always populated with players. This is also annoying because the most servers have their persistence enabled so that you can build your own base and it stays where it is. But with this current day/nightcycle it is in my opinion kind of pointless building a base on an empty server.

For me the day and night cycle is way too slow and that the most players will always change for that reason the servers always. My suggestion would be that it would be far better if the servers would change every 2 hours for daytime and 1 hour for nighttime.

PS: I really love it currently that the nighttimes are really dark now. Not like in the alpha were you could easily change the brightness in your settings and had free nightvision. Now it's more realistic and harder for the people the roam at night.

PS2.0: Please increase the spawnrate of batteries.

Kind regards,

TheGamerTM

• Beans 1

15 hours ago, TheGamerTM said:

I really would like to suggest you guys a faster day and night cycle.

The day/night cycle setting is changeable.  It is a bit obnoxious that all of the official public servers all turn night at the same time though.

16 hours ago, TheGamerTM said:

PS: I really love it currently that the nighttimes are really dark now. Not like in the alpha were you could easily change the brightness in your settings and had free nightvision. Now it's more realistic and harder for the people the roam at night.

While I do like that they've disabled that in-game gamma setting, many monitors have similar functions, thus it is, virtually, pointless.  As for the darkness of night now though, it's pretty unrealistic.  Out in the countryside, away from city lights, you can see just fine in the dead of night with starlight alone.  When the moon is out, this is increased dramatically.  The only time it should be as dark as it is in-game now, is if it's night AND overcast.

16 hours ago, TheGamerTM said:

PS2.0: Please increase the spawnrate of batteries.

That, and increase their use time.  A 9v alkaline battery should run a head torch for longer than a few measly hours.  I wouldn't mind seeing different battery types.  I'm not talking just sizes (AAA, AA, C, D, 9v, etc.) either, but rechargeable and non-rechargeable, alkaline, lithium, etc. for various battery life lengths.  Also, we shouldn't just be finding single batteries here and there, but full, unopened packs, as well as opened, partially used ones.

1 minute ago, NachoNinjaGnome said:

The day/night cycle setting is changeable.  It is a bit obnoxious that all of the official public servers all turn night at the same time though.

The servers (the DayZ instances on the servers) are set up by the GSPs..
GSPs are mainly small companies with like 3-7 people working for them total.. everything is automatic.. they have a couple of technicians, or maybe just one, to deal with the auto bank transfers and the auto server hire and the auto game installation, and the GSP home server in the office that runs all that business, connects to the bank and the website, and sends auto answers to player complaints.
That's all, that's it..  Just a couple of GSP techs to deal with maybe 50 different games (or 150 games?) each game running from 200 to 5000 instances worldwide 24 hours a day.. that's REALLY a lot of instances of games 24/7 .. ya know? The GSP techs don't get involved in ANY of that personally, at all.  How could they?    

So they plug in a dozen DayZ games (ie automatically, because some folk have just hired them from the website)   ... the Game time is automatically set to the local real-equipment server time .. because that happens AUTOMATICALLY too ..  so your local ping servers are running on your local time, just like your PC is running on your local time.

If someone wants to SET it differently,  the DayZ software has to be ABLE to set it (that has to be built in to the game)  AND THEN the one single technician from that GSP has to go round ALL the DayZ servers one at a time by hand, and log in and SET the time himself, and (if the DayZ software lets him) set the length of day and night etc

Now - WHY would he do that? He's not getting paid to do that.
He does that ALL round the world ? - and at the SAME TIME he deals with all the 3000 copies of 200 other games that are all running on his GSP ?  

No, mate - WHY would he do that. Is he crazy?  It is really not his problem. He never looks at any of those thousands of games.. the office server tells him they are running and they are paid for , and that's his job sorted.

If BI WANT to set different times on each of their public servers (all public servers are provided free at the GSPs expense, it's in the contract) then BI will set each one by hand the way BI want it (IF their agreement with the GSP lets them do that).  The GSP will NOT do it. (that's  NOT in the contract)

- check it out.

2 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

The servers (the DayZ instances on the servers) are set up by the GSPs..
GSPs are mainly small companies with like 3-7 people working for them total.. everything is automatic.. they have a couple of technicians, or maybe just one, to deal with the auto bank transfers and the auto server hire and the auto game installation, and the GSP home server in the office that runs all that business, connects to the bank and the website, and sends auto answers to player complaints.
That's all, that's it..  Just a couple of GSP techs to deal with maybe 50 different games (or 150 games?) each game running from 200 to 5000 instances worldwide 24 hours a day.. that's REALLY a lot of instances of games 24/7 .. ya know? The GSP techs don't get involved in ANY of that personally, at all.  How could they?    

So they plug in a dozen DayZ games (ie automatically, because some folk have just hired them from the website)   ... the Game time is automatically set to the local real-equipment server time .. because that happens AUTOMATICALLY too ..  so your local ping servers are running on your local time, just like your PC is running on your local time.

If someone wants to SET it differently,  the DayZ software has to be ABLE to set it (that has to be built in to the game)  AND THEN the one single technician from that GSP has to go round ALL the DayZ servers one at a time by hand, and log in and SET the time himself, and (if the DayZ software lets him) set the length of day and night etc

Now - WHY would he do that? He's not getting paid to do that.
He does that ALL round the world ? - and at the SAME TIME he deals with all the 3000 copies of 200 other games that are all running on his GSP ?  

No, mate - WHY would he do that. Is he crazy?  It is really not his problem. He never looks at any of those thousands of games.. the office server tells him they are running and they are paid for , and that's his job sorted.

If BI WANT to set different times on each of their public servers (all public servers are provided free at the GSPs expense, it's in the contract) then BI will set each one by hand the way BI want it (IF their agreement with the GSP lets them do that).  The GSP will NOT do it. (that's  NOT in the contract)

- check it out.

I'm aware... got a buddy who does that for a living.  He, by himself, is sysadmin on tens of thousands of servers.  But, thank you for that long winded explanation, I'm sure someone will find it informative.

I was merely pointing out that the game time setting is changeable and is changed on many servers, by the server owner.

And yes, it IS still obnoxious that all the official servers run the same time settings.  BI should do something about that.  It's not hard to plug an RNG into the default settings.  Hell, I could do that, and my coding expertise is pretty limited.

• Beans 1

4 minutes ago, NachoNinjaGnome said:

thank you for that long winded explanation

sorry mate - lots of folk don't follow the technical side at all, so it's a mystery to them why something "totally obvious" seems to NOT get done.
Long ago I got fed up coming home at sunset and logging in to DayZ to find it was sunset.   <duh!>  

Just now, pilgrim* said:

sorry mate - lots of folk don't follow the technical side at all, so it's a mystery to them why something "totally obvious" seems to NOT get done.
Long ago I got fed up coming home at sunset and logging in to DayZ to find it was sunset.   <duh!>  

Understandable.  Yeah, I, mostly, play private servers for that reason...  I have day/night reversal syndrome and am, naturally, nocturnal.

• Beans 1

2 hours day, 1 hour of night seems like it would suit more players. I just hope we get a wrist watch one day so we know when to expect the dusk/dawn.

4 minutes ago, Rekurv said:

2 hours day, 1 hour of night seems like it would suit more players. I just hope we get a wrist watch one day so we know when to expect the dusk/dawn.

I agreee with this!! Most people play between 2-4 hours per day so that would be suitable for the average player to experience night and day while playing

• Like 1