-Gews-

Reviews starting to come out

54 minutes ago, forteantimes23 said:

What has shocked me is charging full price for the current state of the game. That's not on. 

Since it was announced, we always knew this was the plan. But I thought in the 5 years since, and especially in the last few months, that they would have abandoned this idea.

I can't imagine anyone would react well to a 30% price increase given the current state of the game and the time it's taken to come out. It looks bad to suddenly charge so much more at this stage IMO.

• Beans 1

27 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

I can't imagine anyone would react well to a 30% price increase given the current state of the game and the time it's taken to come out. It looks bad to suddenly charge so much more at this stage IMO.

Besides calling the game 1.0, although that doesn't mean anything, this is my biggest issue with BI at the moment.  Charging full price for a quarter of your game.  Hell, an eighth of your game.  I shake my head in disgust with this one....

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 4

Hello my favorite community! Good to see you all disagreeing on nothing and everything! 

Reviews aside, I think we can all agree that this DayZ is nothing like what we expected it to be some 5 years ago or so? Well, a few (or maybe even many) have had their suspicions something like this would be the finished product, but none of us could possibly have hoped for this DayZ on release? 

I have played a couple of games and it has not been particularly exciting. Not because I have over-played the game during development. I have around 250 hours in game, but I doubt I'll get to 300 hours before I feel the free space on my SSD is more valuable. 

To me this is just another lesson learned regarding "early access" games. It's pretty obvious, by the amount of hyped up alpha / beta releases that promises a lot and never delivers, neither the content that is "promised" or within the estimated time frame, that the whole "early access" part of the gaming industry is nothing but a clever and lucrative marketing strategy. Have people play a concept until the concept doesn't appeal anymore, and the player base is so small, that it doesn't make much of a difference if a inadequate mess is released or an accurate representation of the original "vision".  Don't hate the player, hate the game... or something like that.

It might seem like I am super disappointed and trying to take a dump on BI. Arma 3 is still the best game ever, in my opinion, and I believe (hope) BI will deliver other excellent titles in the future.

8 hours ago, Vattenlarv said:

Hello my favorite community! Good to see you all disagreeing on nothing and everything! 

Reviews aside, I think we can all agree that this DayZ is nothing like what we expected it to be some 5 years ago or so? Well, a few (or maybe even many) have had their suspicions something like this would be the finished product, but none of us could possibly have hoped for this DayZ on release? 

I have played a couple of games and it has not been particularly exciting. Not because I have over-played the game during development. I have around 250 hours in game, but I doubt I'll get to 300 hours before I feel the free space on my SSD is more valuable. 

To me this is just another lesson learned regarding "early access" games. It's pretty obvious, by the amount of hyped up alpha / beta releases that promises a lot and never delivers, neither the content that is "promised" or within the estimated time frame, that the whole "early access" part of the gaming industry is nothing but a clever and lucrative marketing strategy. Have people play a concept until the concept doesn't appeal anymore, and the player base is so small, that it doesn't make much of a difference if a inadequate mess is released or an accurate representation of the original "vision".  Don't hate the player, hate the game... or something like that.

It might seem like I am super disappointed and trying to take a dump on BI. Arma 3 is still the best game ever, in my opinion, and I believe (hope) BI will deliver other excellent titles in the future.

If so i wont be buying another BI title. I dont feel i am alone in this.

Dayz dosent need reviews. Everybody knows what Dayz is about. And therein lies the success of Dayz. Some like the game, some dont....at any given time Dayz will always have the max potential players playing the game simply because everyone knows what Dayz is.

Reviews are just redundant in this case. And some reviewers opinion isnt more important than the opinion of any Dayz hater or fanboy anywhere in the world.

And honestly, its nice to see some of u ppl got burned by the early access. Let it be a lesson. Hopefully u guys wont clutter up the next early access game.

Edited by svisketyggeren

I really hope DayZ get some backlash from this. I don't even have faith that they will fix this mess... And if they do how long will it take? Another year? 2 years? 

We have already given them money for the product. I doubt that many will buy it untill they hear positive stuff about it. 

Question is will they bother to fix their shit and maybe some more people will buy the game or will they just move on and not waste anymore money?

Fix and improve server browser

fix persistence

improve server performance

add new inventory

fix, improve and polish sounds and animations

tweak and implement a proper health and medical system including bleeding, fractures and damage system

tweak night time gameplay

tweak and improve weather and lighting

tweak and improve gunplay and melee 

improve controls/keybindings

add  jumping, vaulting and climbing

add missing cars

add helicopter

add some of the missing weapons

add throwing itmes

fix a jillion small bugs and glitches...as well as new ones

I don't think that we will see much more in 2019....if they can manage to do at least this so far I would consider this  1.0 and maybe reinstall the game for a try...

38 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

Fix and improve server browser

fix persistence

improve server performance

add new inventory

fix, improve and polish sounds and animations

tweak and implement a proper health and medical system including bleeding, fractures and damage system

tweak night time gameplay

tweak and improve weather and lighting

tweak and improve gunplay and melee 

improve controls/keybindings

add  jumping, vaulting and climbing

add missing cars

add helicopter

add some of the missing weapons

add throwing itmes

fix a jillion small bugs and glitches...as well as new ones

I don't think that we will see much more in 2019....if they can manage to do at least this so far I would consider this  1.0 and maybe reinstall the game for a try...

Hmmmm everything that should have happened during alpha and polished on during beta

• Beans 1

You forgot the zombies. They are in some ways worse then the zombies in the dayz mod(atleast they where a threat) . These Zombies has like no pathing and get stuck on random stuff. They can hit you at times while their backs are turned. They can run through you. Boring melee combat vs em etc... 

Really hope close combat fire fights get better aswell. Thought they would fix this with the new movement patterns. But its still weird and twitchy.  Had a close combat fight with 2 hostiles in a building(I had no weapon) . Both of em had two shotguns and they fired like 10 rounds in total and only hit me once. The fight was point blank but i just ran around like crazy, they finally killed me with a pistol.  Thats not exactly good or realistic gameplay. 

I distinctly remember a line, peddled hard by some here, that "alpha is all about adding items, and beta will be all about fixing bugs...."

Hmmm. 

Nonetheless, after 9,000 hours, I still love the game. There are some things about this build - the overall look and sound of the game especially, the new places in the NW - that are good.

• Beans 2

I'm actually looking forward to 2019 and all the stuff that will be introduced to the game, as well as all the improvements to the current game (which it really needs). Looking back on 2018 I can say I am both disappointed and satisfied. The communication was not always spot on, calling the current version 1.0 was ahum... a pretty dumb decision and the overall stability of the current version is disappointing. I mean, I hoped to play a stable build during these holidays but so far I got killed by a flying car, the infected do not work and driving is impossible because of the poor server performance. And don't get me started on the persistence issues. But, I do acknowledge that they made some big steps this year with the introduction of the new engine and all that came with it. And I think that they came pretty fast with new content and features throughout the second part of the year. I have a hard time understanding when some are actually afraid that BI will just drop this game in 2019, because I am pretty confident that 2019 will be an amazing year for DayZ. We can easily expect to get more vehicles, guns, working persistence, good server performance, more advanced health system, fishing, climbing, helicopters and better visual additions to the game. Plus all those mods and Namalsk. I'm pumped for 2019!

Edited by amadieus
  • Like 1

To be honest I am completely disappointed with the so called year of DayZ 2018...and not hyped and/or willing to wait one or maybe even two years more to get a game that is at least close to what I was hoping for...I am sure though they will fix and improve the game and also add missing content but I am also not expecting any new fresh and creative content that also is bitterly needed after 6 years. A mod like Namalsk or a cool total conversion could maybe bring me back ....who knows...

PS: I am not angry with the devs or BI, I had more than enough fun with this game...but for me this is simply not working anymore :/

As I said to much flame a few days ago.

This was the first early access release on Steam I think.  They changed the rules for this game. And really, it has been a silly mess. Paying for things before they are done is as unlikley to get the response you want from a company as you would expect. It is nothing to do with the developers or designers, it is inherent in the economic system. 

But aside from that lesson. To charge full price for it now in hopes of getting 20 more million based just on the name when the game is far far far from done and the devs have never demonstrated a technical solution for a full  map with 100 players and a full set of zombies is just dishonest. Anyone who has diligently played along through beta and thinks the devs have a solution to that problem that they are ready to spring on us is delusional.  

But I did get my 30 bucks worth.  And on steam the buyers who bite now can get their money back in a day right?

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, PongoZ said:

As I said to much flame a few days ago.

This was the first early access release on Steam I think.  They changed the rules for this game. And really, it has been a silly mess. Paying for things before they are done is as unlikley to get the response you want from a company as you would expect. It is nothing to do with the developers or designers, it is inherent in the economic system. 

Regarding the EA issues - I know at least three other titles funded through Kickstarter - old school RPGs like Wasteland 2, Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity. All of them were delayed by some year or so, but eventually all got delivered to meet the expectations of the backers. Now, I understand the huge difference of scale in projects like DayZ and classic isometric single-player RPGs - I'm just saying that paying in advance is not necessarily a condition to make a project fizzle. I guess it all boils down to showing respects to the supporters.

So let's not blame the funding strategy procedures here. I will pay upfront for other games in the future, just not to this particular company.

Yes the game is far from finished but it is still the survival game of the future. Every survival game since DayZ has used its appeal to sell copies. There is no reason to think the current dev team doesn't realize this and will be focused on fixing the current state of the game. Sure they released it in 1.0 and broken with the persistence issue but they also developed a new engine that took a lot of time to implement so that we as a community can add our own content. I love BI for that as not many game companies do that. So before you flame me and throw me to the dogs ask yourself if you really have the patience for a true survival game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, choppinbroccoli said:

So before you flame me and throw me to the dogs ask yourself if you really have the patience for a true survival game.

Not tonight, no. Spent a long time with this stupid server browser tonight, only crashed my game once on the browser, so an improvement. After a few tries I gave up and just went for a a random medium-pop server rather than reloading 3000+ community servers each time it fails to connect. By the time I finally got in game on the server I didn't particularly want to join I didn't even spawn with the character I'd specifically set up a few minutes earlier. I ended up chasing a fresh spawn around for a few minutes as he wasn't interested in 'interaction', and then, after asking myself if I wanted to do this for a couple more hours, threw myself off a bridge, closed the game and went to play something different. 

I cannot believe the server browser is still in such shape.

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, choppinbroccoli said:

Yes the game is far from finished but it is still the survival game of the future. 

5 years ago it was the survival game of the future. Now it’s a 5 year old survival game that just crawled out of the womb prematurely and undeveloped.

1 hour ago, eno said:

5 years ago it was the survival game of the future. Now it’s a 5 year old survival game that just crawled out of the womb prematurely and undeveloped.

Yeah DayZ was fresh 5 years ago, they where way too slow and ineffective at getting it done. 

I asked one of the biggest Swedish PC reviewing sites if they where gonna review DayZ. One working  on that site responded that DayZ felt so irrelevant that they didn't know when or if they would bother to review it. 

In this case I wonder if thats maybe lucky for BiS. Because I doubt it would get much praise. DayZ is so irrelevant that they wont get big youtubers like Jim Serling, Downward trust, Cleanprice gaming tearing its horrible 1.0 launch to peices.  Kinda wish they do though.. 

Edited by Evilsausage

27 minutes ago, Evilsausage said:

I asked one of the biggest Swedish PC reviewing sites if they where gonna review DayZ. One working  on that site responded that DayZ felt so irrelevant that they didn't know when or if they would bother to review it. 

It's a chilling assessment. 

There's a saying circulating around the internet about the difference between men and women and this whole situation reminds me of it. Without getting into specifics for fear of being strawmanned to death, the part of the statement that I refer to here is that we weren't intended to do all the same things.

Since the beginning (I wasn't involved in the mod- but got in relatively early on the standalone) I've been in the league of players who cherished that DayZ was trying to be something that other games either couldn't be or didn't want to be. And that was fine- DayZ gained significance through the creativity of its player base and the path towards uncharted territory with all the thistles and brambles that entails. 

As soon as it branched off the unbeaten path over to the paved highway of other established titles that did LITERALLY everything better... DayZ plummeted out of significance into a shadow of itself while it's loyal player base, seeking inspiration, stood in the doorway with an empty flashlight. 

Edited by eno

2 hours ago, eno said:

It's a chilling assessment. 

There's a saying circulating around the internet about the difference between men and women and this whole situation reminds me of it. Without getting into specifics for fear of being strawmanned to death, the part of the statement that I refer to here is that we weren't intended to do all the same things.

Since the beginning (I wasn't involved in the mod- but got in relatively early on the standalone) I've been in the league of players who cherished that DayZ was trying to be something that other games either couldn't be or didn't want to be. And that was fine- DayZ gained significance through the creativity of its player base and the path towards uncharted territory with all the thistles and brambles that entails. 

As soon as it branched off the unbeaten path over to the paved highway of other established titles that did LITERALLY everything better... DayZ plummeted out of significance into a shadow of itself while it's loyal player base, seeking inspiration, stood in the doorway with an empty flashlight. 

Name one of these titles that did LITERALLY everything better?  I'm really curious

2 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Name one of these titles that did LITERALLY everything better?  I'm really curious

Any PVP shooter. 

Done. 

2 minutes ago, eno said:

Any PVP shooter. 

Done. 

Lmao.  DayZ is not a pvp shooter.  Fail argument.  That's like saying Skyrim is a better rpg than DayZ.

2 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Lmao.  DayZ is not a pvp shooter.  Fail argument.  That's like saying Skyrim is a better rpg than DayZ.

You just drowned in the bathtub with a spoonful of water in it. 

Somehow you missed the entire point of what I said while acknowledging it at the same time. 

You're a remarkable person.

Well to be fair, there is not really any game similar to DayZ that is significantly better. 

1 hour ago, amadieus said:

Well to be fair, there is not really any game similar to DayZ that is significantly better. 

DayZ devs seemed to lose interest in preserving that uniqueness and instead pandered to the shorter term PVP crowd- which was my original point. There is 0 about PVP in DayZ that isn't done better by any other PVP title. 

And now there's very little that sets it apart in its niche market of PVE... since it's not doing that very well either and never really has done so in a consistently reliable fashion. 

So we're left in a state of ambiguity a few weeks after the launch to 1.0 that we all knew was going to be a gong show while the devs enjoy a holiday that couldn't have been more poorly timed. Like I said in another thread... everyone needs a vacation but when the forecast includes launching a severely bugged project to catch money train at Christmas time- plan around it and take the holiday when the dust settles. 

Edited by eno