-Gews-

Reviews starting to come out

4 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

besides even new players should stop reading reviews  i dont need some ideot telling me what to play and what to hate.

I'd rather not go back to attempting to decipher a game's worth by peering at the box art.

4 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

i get the purpose of reviews but i feel posting them here or any reactions to reviews here lacks in significance whatsoever.  

What reviewers think of a game typically has a major impact on a game's success. These reviews don't tell me anything I didn't already know, but they're going to have an impact on the future of the game. 

• Beans 1

6/10 is a blessing. The potential of character interaction would warrant a 4 if most of the people you interacted with didn’t have their mom’s tit in one hand and their dad’s wallet in the other. 

The expansive world is amazeballs at a glance but 80% of what’s in it from the ground to the trees to the structures is duplicated and blaze. The only thing that makes this title playable 6 years ago to now is some fun friends... 

I’ll keep playing because of my friends who also play but the title is an embarrassment. They make the game what it obviously can’t- a dynamic experience where we can murder each other by accident with a fire extinguisher with the same grace as the game will kill us because you freeze to death because you can’t put a log on the fire. 

Once feeding a fresh spawn raw human steaks from his own dead body ceases to become a novelty I suspect the title will lose velocity. Until then... belly up. 

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, eno said:

The expansive world is amazeballs at a glance but 80% of what’s in it from the ground to the trees to the structures is duplicated and blaze. The only thing that makes this title playable 6 years ago to now is some fun friends... 

I think dayz looks awesome for its age with an immersive and detailed game world.

Compare to some other games of the genre: Scum has a much smaller, much less detailed world with ugly 5 house villages with ugly buildings. Game only looks good on ultra settings due to a barrage of post processing, but then runs at 5 fps. No thanks

Miscreated: probably the most impressive and immersive game of the genre in terms of visuals. looks so much better than the rest, lush details, overgrown villages, cities, fantastic lighting. But much smaller in scale compared to dayz. They also went for a "world has been dead for many years" look. Dayz is supposed to play only 1-2 years after the outbreak afaik.

Edited by Buakaw

I havent played in a long time.   I was in the pre-alpha NDA testing group.  Ive been telling my crew to just hold on, yeah the stable branches of alpha werent fun, they all gave up, but fellas just hold out for the 1.0 release!

Frankly I am shocked at how bad this release is.  I played for about 10 minutes and in that time I saw enough bugs to just put the game down again.  My character’s hair clipped  through his hat.  My character’s glasses clipped through his face.   The worn dirt texture on my jacket became a rainbow spotted distortion.  And seriously THATS the beards we got?  Yikes.

V2tLR12.jpg

The zombies... just stood there.

The entire experience felt absolutely no different than the past several years of early access.  I even got this game for free and I feel ripped off. 

I’ll check back in a year.  My group of 6 will never come back to play. You had it, fellas.   You had lighting in a bottle and you let it get away.  Just think of all those Lambos you could've had.   

Edited by klesh
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, klesh said:

I havent played in a long time.   I was in the pre-alpha NDA testing group.  Ive been telling my crew to just hold on, yeah the stable branches of alpha werent fun, they all gave up, but fellas just hold out for the 1.0 release!

Frankly I am shocked at how bad this release is.  I played for about 10 minutes and in that time I saw enough bugs to just put the game down again.  My character’s hair clipped  through his hat.  My character’s glasses clipped through his face.   The worn dirt texture on my jacket became a rainbow spotted distortion.  The zombies... just stood there.

The entire experience felt absolutely no different than the past several years of early access.  I even got this game for free and I feel ripped off. 

I’ll check back in a year.  My group of 6 will never come back to play. You had it, fellas.   You had lighting in a bottle and you let it get away.  Just think of all those Lambos you couldve had.   

best review yet

21 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

This review was terrible.

I got to the part where he talks about hero skin from the mod like it was part of the SA and then had to stop.

Most people writing about dayz from the major outlets seem to have little real experience with the game.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:52 AM, pilgrim* said:

I'm trying to say there are behind-the-scenes action and constraints, board-meeting stress (!).. as well as what we see on the screen. What is on the screen, programmers can ALWAYS deal with

They've insisted there is no board or share holders who influence their decisions.

We all knew they would encounter fresh game breaking bugs.

Historically, every time they announce a prospective milestone, this has always happened.

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you enjoy your Dayz Experience this Holiday Season. The devs worked so hard for 6 years on this project to give you a perfect 1.0 experience.

• Haha 1

Now that everything is working as Intended, the Devs will be spending time away from the Office spending it with their families. Hope they have a great merry Christmas too.

You guys, gals worked so hard for 6 years you deserve a break.

Have a great new years too.

6 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I got to the part where he talks about hero skin from the mod like it was part of the SA and then had to stop.

Most people writing about dayz from the major outlets seem to have little real experience with the game.

They've insisted there is no board or share holders who influence their decisions.

We all knew they would encounter fresh game breaking bugs.

Historically, every time they announce a prospective milestone, this has always happened.

yes - private company.. but in practice a "one-person-owner" CANT MAKE the decisions - I mean can't "structure" them.  The One Boss can CALL them, but there have to be meetings, deals, discussions of possibilities, plan outlines and alternatives, advice, strategy planning, DISAGREEMENT.. And add to that internal stuff,  the outside companies.. Content Providers, Steam, the GSPs, Microsoft.. We have SEEN clear evidence of a MESS BI walked into unexpectedly when it franchised the game to specific GSPs, via Steam, and THEN introduced Persistence.. which was NOT on the agenda of the GSPs, did NOT fit into their method of setting up and hiring out (and pricing) DayZ instances.. and cause a few months of problems and negotiations.. chaos on the blog over public servers vanishing and changing IP numbers, becoming private, becoming shard, becoming whitelist.. just because the GSPs had one expectation and methodology and BI had another and nobody foresaw the problem when they wrote out the legal deal.. (there was a HOLE in it)
That happened, I was there - I wrote (effing) ESSAYS on it..   eventually after ..er.. "several" ..MONTHS it was sorted but ONLY after the people/companies concerned went back to the table and SORTED it.. I can still find on this blog th 5 thousand complaints and the players who swore they'd never come back, AND the ones who had been there from the start and DID NOT come back.. and maybe even one or two of the Blog Moderators ( hmm ?)  
And during this time period BI ABSORBED 4 studios that were independents job-working for them, they bought them in, they are now BI..BUT have to be integrated.. AND they also started a deal with Microsoft..  AND the DayZ Development team changed - I would say radically, for reasons that "key" outgoing BI team execs expressed in their own words.
So - meetings and negotiations there definitely WERE, and ARE..
BI is in a strange place - it has become the biggest Indy (employer) in the world in just 5 years.. Its too big (but nah, nothing is REALLY too big) and too UNORTHODOX and has too much of its own ATTITUDE to be snapped up by one of the giants - <<"how much is it worth.?.OK we'll give you TEN times that in cash, what do you say..??">>  Happened many times. I don't think BI will do that, but they have to MOVE forward.. they are "small" in THAT ocean, thy are in the BIG league (billion-WORLD-sales) and you can't stay in the same place = you go up or you go down ("That IS the LaaaaaaWWWWW " [Judge Dredd]  ). So there ARE DEFINITELY NEGOTIATIONS, AGREEMENTS, TALKS, DEALS, TIMETABLES taking place now. You vcan see how development has shifted into "controlled panic".. NOT because of anything technically deadly - except that they are Under Abnormal Pressure.. THAT comes from outside the team, and part comes from outside BI (and I don't mean the players).. this is business ..

This is totally MY OWN opinion. I'm not sure not giving away any trade secrets because I don't know anything, except what Ive researched myself in the public domain.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*

3 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you enjoy your Dayz Experience this Holiday Season. The devs worked so hard for 6 years on this project to give you a perfect 1.0 experience.

Lol can't tell if its sarcasm or you really mean that? 

But yeah Merry Christmas. 

Edited by Evilsausage
  • Haha 2

meanwhile, can we get back to discussing "orthogonal" please ? - which I take to mean <perpendicularity to the linear algebra of bilinear forms> and so not "a herring" as semantically, prima facie, these are different parts of speech. thanx

Edited by pilgrim*

7 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

Lol can't tell if its sarcasm or you really mean that? 

But yeah Merry Christmas. 

I am not that bad am I? HEHE sorry but yes merry christmas :)

Breaking down reviews 

Don't spawn with gear =  shit game

Can't spawn with friends = shit game

Can't run to NWAF in 5 mins = shit game

Can't always run without mods = shit game

Stamina = Shit game

Survival = shit game

Infected = Shit game

No vehicles without repairing them = shit game

Sound about right?

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

meanwhile, can we get back to discussing "orthogonal" please ? - which I take to mean <perpendicularity to the linear algebra of bilinear forms> and so not "a herring" as semantically, prima facie, these are different parts of speech. thanx

Orthogonal can be used in a philosophical sense to mean independent or unrelated.

4 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Breaking down reviews 

Stamina = Shit game

Survival = shit game

Infected = Shit game

Sound about right?

Nah thats not that the reviewers really say. They usually mention the great player interactions and the atmospheric world. But also point out its massive bugs, broken zombies etc. Think PC Gamer summerized it quite well:

"Occasionally, in small doses, DayZ is one of the best multiplayer games on PC. But a lot of the time it’s a slow, dull, frustrating, and meandering mess of bugs, broken zombie AI, and weightless combat. So I don’t know what to think, really. Some of the stories this game has created will stick with me forever, and that’s something to be celebrated. But it’s also unforgiving, messy, and doesn’t have much respect for your time. If you want a social survival experience that doesn’t pull any punches, set in an evocative and atmospheric world, then DayZ might be worth investigating. But if you’re after a solid, polished game that always does what it’s supposed to, you’re going to be disappointed."

Edited by Evilsausage
  • Beans 1

22 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

It was simply a valid point of view from a new player's perspective, but no such part where he "talks about the hero skin as if it was part of the SA". It was a memory he recited from mod times. Learn to read.

Edited by Max Planck
Unnecessary. Please help make this place better, not worse.
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Buakaw said:

It was simply a valid point of view from a new player's perspective, but no such part where he "talks about the hero skin as if it was part of the SA". It was a memory he recited from mod times. Learn to read.

Reported as antagonistic.

Good luck.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Breaking down reviews 

Stamina = Shit game

Survival = shit game

Infected = Shit game

Sound about right?

Most of the reviews I've read, (the main ones),  talk about the bugs, crappy infected and the hopeless combat system and none of what you've mentioned. 

edit: Evilsausage beat me to it. 

Edited by forteantimes23

I saw a review from another game, who is a mod here. Orlok, he said some things that made me think, and very hard about the situation at hand. He was playing Atlas, and its really really rocky start.

The review i got from him, and his words where rather concerning.

Dayz has been a very buggy concern for many of us over all the years we tested, and played. But what he said bothered me deeper.

I felt we are getting too used to Early Access garbage and expect it to be the norm now. That should not be the case. We should not put up with that, as consumers of products is ok to half have a don nut when we go to a coffee house?

Is it ok we have half a car when we go buy one at the dealership? is it ok if we have half a pay cheque when we finish our work week?

Seriously ive been in retail for most of my life, service, and IT management as well as owner. Never once have i ever given a customer Half a computer, or Half a service ever.

To me, we really need to think about this if you even care anymore.. but ARK was never finished guys, and Atlas will never be finished either. Remember ARK actually started the DLC durning EA, and it did not go over well with bugs, and they also ripped off many modders products and included them for free.

So do you feel these reviews no matter correct or wrong? nope they are informing the public on it. To me that is a good thing, to protect consumers from what happened to us when we backed Of Kings and Men.

Have a great Holiday everyone.

Edited by sneakydude
  • Beans 1

3 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

I saw a review from another game, who is a mod here. Orlok, he said some things that made me think, and very hard about the situation at hand. He was playing Atlas, and its really really rocky start.

The review i got from him, and his words where rather concerning.

Dayz has been a very buggy concern for many of us over all the years we tested, and played. But what he said bothered me deeper.

I felt we are getting too used to Early Access garbage and expect it to be the norm now. That should not be the case. We should not put up with that, as consumers of products is ok to half have a don nut when we go to a coffee house?

Is it ok we have half a car when we go buy one at the dealership? is it ok if we have half a pay cheque when we finish our work week?

Seriously ive been in retail for most of my life, service, and IT management as well as owner. Never once have i ever given a customer Half a computer, or Half a service ever.

To me, we really need to think about this if you even care anymore.. but ARK was never finished guys, and Atlas will never be finished either. Remember ARK actually started the DLC durning EA, and it did not go over well with bugs, and they also ripped off many modders products and included them for free.

So do you feel these reviews no matter correct or wrong? nope they are informing the public on it. To me that is a good thing, to protect consumers from what happened to us when we backed Of Kings and Men.

Have a great Holiday everyone.

Here's the difference.  Will you buy it when the retailer is telling you that you're getting half a donut or half a car?  Now the other big difference is you you pay for your half a car to come back and it's a tricycle and they say, well that's all we got

Just now, Guy Smiley said:

Here's the difference.  Will you buy it when the retailer is telling you that you're getting half a donut or half a car?  Now the other big difference is you you pay for your half a car to come back and it's a tricycle and they say, well that's all we got

Nope, and your completely right about that too... Instead of telling you i am selling you half a donut or car what i would do is just make A video trailer and sell you the concept video.... but slip in a Half a donut under you nose charge you half price and say it will be finished in 2015... This way, the more i sell then its the more i can bank. What i am seeing about Early Access games is a way to have teams not hire, not get bank loans to fund the projects, and or publishers, but to actually milk the Cow... Yes many out there did it guys... cant lie..

Remember guys, i do back projects with $$$ too... I have 4-5 or more on the go.

Basically what i am getting at is we should expect more, like your boss would each week you punch in and out of work. I am sorry if it sounds wrong, but even Dean Hall himself said, without quoting him exactly... DLC durning Early Access when you have bugs, major bugs is completely wrong. I agree with him, even though.... and you dont need to step on his toes because its known facts, he himself did the exact same thing back in the day.

8 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Basically what i am getting at is we should expect more, like your boss would each week you punch in and out of work. I am sorry if it sounds wrong, but even Dean Hall himself said, without quoting him exactly... DLC durning Early Access when you have bugs, major bugs is completely wrong. I agree with him, even though.... and you dont need to step on his toes because its known facts, he himself did the exact same thing back in the day.

Allowing mods during Early Access is completely ass backwards IMO along with DLC

3 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Allowing mods during Early Access is completely ass backwards IMO along with DLC

Yes it is, and once the standards have been made then everyone will start to do it for either funding or whatever to cash the next phase. Dayz is no different, they just did it a different way. The en fusion engine was as far as i am concerned DLC. Everyone knows where i stand on that matter. Do the engine first not the other way around. Dean knew the limits of Arma 2 engine a long time before the announcement. Just he sold the game to everyone first. But hey thats not new news, its old news and everyone moved forward. Like i said before the damage has already been done. So now you need to get new blood.