Sign in to follow this  
NachoNinjaGnome

Toggle Quickslots?

Like many of you out there, I hopped back on DayZ for the 1.0 release.  And, well, I just had some zombies lag in out of nowhere and start hitting me so, naturally, I begin to run to avoid getting hit while I pull my weapon. I look down to see which quickslot my suppressed SMG is set to so that I can mow them down without attracting every zombie in the area, but I can't see my hotbar.  I'm running, holding 'W' and shift, and go to toggle my hotbar back on and the combination of holding shift and pressing the ` key brings up the Discord overlay.  Now, I have no control over my characters heading and within a few seconds, he's running against a rock, a tree, a wall, or some other sort of barrier.  I don't really know what because I can't see anything but the overlay and my characters periphery and I can't disable the overlay because I didn't know how I enabled it in the first place.  Subsequently, the zombies begin to beat on me while I attempt to log.  They must've killed me, or at least knocked me unconscious before my character was able to log out.  I then logged back in as a fresh spawn. Now, Discords dumb default keys of something that could potentially be hit during gameplay aside, why does this feature exist and why is it the default. What reason is there to not want to be able to reference your 10 quickslots when in such a bind?  Or, for that matter, why is the default set to keep you from seeing them unless you interact with your inventory in one way or another?  This feature makes zero sense and just cost me well over 30 hours worth of loot on my character.  Now, I've rebinded my in-game toggle and my Discord toggle so this won't happen again, but it should not have happened in the first place.  This default game setting was not very well thought out and should be changed for the sake of every other player who has yet to run into this issue.  This should not be v1.0, it should be v0.64 at the very most.  I don't understand how you can justify calling this a full-release with simple settings issues like this mixed into all the bugs.  C'mon now BI, I love DayZ, but you gotta get things in order here.

Quickslots can be made visible by pressing the Tild key. The key directly under the ESC key whilst ingame.

I am aware, but thank you anyway.  Guess you didn't read the post.  My suggestion was to set the default to showing, rather than having them disappear as the default setting.  As with everything, it SHOULD be utility before aesthetics.

Honestly, it sounds like you weren’t properly prepared. 

-use consistent keybindings. 

-don’t be in a position where you have to run from zombies. Deal with them or be sure you can avoid them. 

-check your UI regularly. 

-don’t attempt to log out while zombies are beating on you. 

-dont fat finger the controls. 

-remain calm

PVE is so easy if you take your time. I’ve yet to die from the environment, except when I was being reckless. 

13 hours ago, Parazight said:

Honestly, it sounds like you weren’t properly prepared. 

-use consistent keybindings. 

-don’t be in a position where you have to run from zombies. Deal with them or be sure you can avoid them. 

-check your UI regularly. 

-don’t attempt to log out while zombies are beating on you. 

-dont fat finger the controls. 

-remain calm

PVE is so easy if you take your time. I’ve yet to die from the environment, except when I was being reckless. 

I've always used the same keybindings, it's just a matter of being forced to hit that ` key every time I log in.  Shouldn't hide something as important as the quickslot bar by default.  The only time I swap quickslots is when I add another weapon to my arsenal.  As for running from zombies, that was necessary due to them teleporting into me from nowhere and beginning to beat on me simultaneously.  Yes, PVE is easy until you start getting bugs like that.  And I could have taken them easily if I didn't have to hit a key to bring back my quickslots which brought up an overlay I didn't know existed.  And logging out was my only option at that point.  Had zero control of my character and no prospects of that control returning.  And "fat finger the controls"?  I hit the keys I intended to hit.  Idk what prompted that comment.  Granted, when the overlay popped up, it was unexpected and I did panic a bit.  That will happen when something interrupts your ability to control your character unexpectedly like that.

Edited by NachoNinjaGnome