Mr Jizz

GAAAAHH - Persistence still a mess.

y_u_noTT.png

I spent ALL NIGHT humping a gas can, a battery and a tire back to my tent ... log in this morning - the tent is gone. The current state of this game makes it either a PVP game, in which there's no sense farming, base building or gathering loot - or it's a game only good for people who can be satisfied with only what they can squeeze into a single session. The danger of losing everything is a total deal breaker. 

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

Same thing happened to me.  Spent hours last night gathering supplies and setting up camp.  Found a mil tent and a sea chest and placed them in secluded locations.  Filled them up with loot.  Come back a couple hours later and they are wiped.  It is ridiculous the game was released in this condition.  I can deal with the glitchy zombies, but the persistence issue is unacceptable.  This has been a known issue for quite some time.  Completely disgraceful.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

I agree that presistence should have been fixed for the release, but I don't understand that behaviour...
The issue is still ongoing, it is known. You know there is a non negligeable probability the camp will disappear.

Just don't set a camp until it's fixed, or maybe just 1 barrel/chest to test.
And if you do set a camp, accept the risks.

• Haha 1

Nevermind, op is wrong. Persistence is fine. I was wrong. 

Edited by tandwan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tandwan said:

I would certainly agree with you if this was still beta, or alpha. But... seriously this is release man. Base building is one of the key selling points of the game, even says so in the RELEASE trailer. Which in case you missed it...

Build?

Yes, they very much said you could build on the release of the game. What they didn't tell you was everything you build will vanish when the server restarts.. or you just walk away. I can deal with weapon attachments vanishing, glitched out zombies, sickness that you can't get rid of and even something as bad as hit registration not happening at times... but base building? Come on man, it's a core element.

I'm not debating about what should have or shouldn't have been done for the release (or what they promised).
I already stated that persistence should have been fixed and so all the problems it generates.

My point is : persistence is not fixed, despite the version, and it is known.

Nonetheless people chose to collect items and create a camp, knowing it could get wiped and that all they have done would be for nothing. They put themselves in that situation.
Yet they complain or act surprise when it happens ? (notice how I use "when" and not "if").
That's the behaviour I don't understand.

Edited by zykrem
  • Beans 2

The thing is many didn't know persistence wasn't fixed. Many never visit forums, some would have been 1st time players; seems unrealistic to blame them for expecting the game to function on release.

1 minute ago, Bob.E.Dazzler said:

The thing is many didn't know persistence wasn't fixed. Many never visit forums, some would have been 1st time players; seems unrealistic to blame them for expecting the game to function on release.

True. I did not consider this possibility in my previous posts.
If they didn't know about the issue, it is truly annoying and frustrating, and then I do sympathize.

• Like 1

Right, too. But that can only apply to tents and barrels as well as vehicles.

How do you know without information or friends how to build a fence? Who knows, knows that there are problems with the persistence.

5 hours ago, zykrem said:

I'm not debating about what should have or shouldn't have been done for the release (or what they promised).
I already stated that persistence should have been fixed and so all the problems it generates.

My point is : persistence is not fixed, despite the version, and it is known.

Nonetheless people chose to collect items and create a camp, knowing it could get wiped and that all they have done would be for nothing. They put themselves in that situation.
Yet they complain or act surprise when it happens ? (notice how I use "when" and not "if").
That's the behaviour I don't understand.

Most people ARENT AWARE OF THIS ISSUE UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO THEM. The news feed in main menu is gone , and steam doesn’t show 1.0 patch notes - Nowhere does it say that persistence has NOT been fixed in any of the patchnotes when you find them ..except for If you look closely they only mention persistence being wiped on specific server crashes - but this cant be the issue for some cases as wipes sometimes happen without a disconnect ... this meaning there are more persistence issues/ causes perhaps .

If they really care about the state of their 1.0 and how people see it they would be apologizing daily until they get the persistence issue corrected ... that’s how it’s done with normal game breaking bugs when presented in a 1.0 launch , and although this doesn’t fall under a typical stopper-game breaker , it’s still a “game breaker” (read : they won’t play it until fixed) for most people .

Unless they put out a patch before New Years as a surprise , I don’t think we will see a persistence fix until 2019 :((( which sounds worse that it is but it’s still pretty bad . We all had such high hopes for dayz 1.0 release , it was going to be a massive monumental party time where all of our skeptical friends could come back and play with us - but now they just laugh instead at the issues dayz is still gazing at its 1.0 release and go play r6s , fortnite or rust instead (shits weak except for r6s).

Edited by MaxwellHouse69420

I think maybe problem with losing all your hard earned stuff  and storage is that the server browser is not putting you back into the same server you were playing on the day before? Just a guess as the browser seems pretty broken atm

3 minutes ago, doubleAA said:

I think maybe problem with losing all your hard earned stuff  and storage is that the server browser is not putting you back into the same server you were playing on the day before? Just a guess as the browser seems pretty broken atm

No, it has to do with modded servers and server renters trying to bypass the night cycles with forced server restarts and it's corrupting the persistence data.  Think of it like this, you know how games say "Do not turn off your system when saving your game otherwise it might corrupt your data"  That's essentially what's happening with the forced restarts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guy Smiley said:

No, it has to do with modded servers and server renters trying to bypass the night cycles with forced server restarts and it's corrupting the persistence data.  Think of it like this, you know how games say "Do not turn off your system when saving your game otherwise it might corrupt your data"  That's essentially what's happening with the forced restarts

I don't know it's just a guess as I've only been playing on official servers not community ones, but whenever I try to join a server that says it has spaces or day time, half the time it puts me in a full one or a night time server

26 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

It has NOT to do with modded servers, also not with people forcing a server restart. It happens when the DayZ server has ungracefully closed. If at that moment the server is writing to the persistence file, it gets corrupted. This can happen on every server, even the official ones. Unless the server crash is directly tied to a badly written mod, modding isn't directly the cause of this. Neither is a server restart because servers restart all the time. There shouldn't be a difference between restarting the server manual or a planned restart.

Edited by IMT
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, IMT said:

It happens when the DayZ server has ungracefully closed. If at that moment the server is writing to the persistence file, it gets corrupted. This can happen on every server, even the official ones.

100% correct. Persistence issues are caused by improper shutdown and hiccups between shutdowns. Don't build close to a restart and ask your admin to save persistence on the regular. 

In the back of my cynical mind I conjured a woeful thought - Perhaps Steam threatened BI with some sort of financial action if they didn't finish the game. Consider that the "Early Access Alpha" scenario is a big part of Steam's bottom line, and when companies like BI come along to cash in on the mere PROSPECT of a good game but offer no real path to completion (perhaps hoping to make a quick buck before people move on and forget), it makes Steam look like the arbiter of a sucker-scam. Bad PR for Steam if that's true. Sadly, this release officially feels rushed, and I'm fully expecting them to leave this one dead on the operating table having made it to "full release".

14 minutes ago, Mr Jizz said:

Sadly, this release officially feels rushed, and I'm fully expecting them to leave this one dead on the operating table having made it to "full release".

If you watched their live Twitch stream today, both Eugen and Peter talked about things they plan to fix and to add in 2019.  Eugen acknowledged current bugs with the zombies and with persistence and those two things are at the top of the priorities list, along with bringing DayZ to the Linux platform.  They both also mentioned things like adding helicopters and Baty mentioned that a roadmap for their plans going forward, showing what they consider the list in order of priorities, would be released to the public early in the New Year.

In another post, I did say I'd believe it when I see it, but after watching them on this stream today, they do seem committed to continuing the bug fixing and development into 2019 and hopefully beyond.

On 15/12/2018 at 9:14 PM, Mr Jizz said:

y_u_noTT.png

I spent ALL NIGHT humping a gas can, a battery and a tire back to my tent ... log in this morning - the tent is gone. The current state of this game makes it either a PVP game, in which there's no sense farming, base building or gathering loot - or it's a game only good for people who can be satisfied with only what they can squeeze into a single session. The danger of losing everything is a total deal breaker. 

you don't have to astound about the state of this 1.0 release build.... Because clearly it's not a 1.0 but still alpha release... They only put a 1.0 version name only to sell next year to PS4 (Sony doesn't allow Early Access game on his store)and also for not take the risk from Steam to delete the game after 5 years of Early Access without a finished release. It's the thruth and devs know this, they won't clearly never admit this but the thruth is this. I have no other answers to explain a 1.0 release rushed in this state.... For not talking about the very bad and poor FPS performance and broken damage system....

How is possible that a man can take 2 Mosin shoot and still able to move and answers to fire??? (the player was bleeding but when I was chambering another bullet he killed me)

And I can see broken hit detection also yesterday in Twicth stream at 6pm (Europe). Peter Nespesny clearly hit the target with a mosin... Nothing happened, it seems a ghost bullet... For not talking about the FPS performance (I think he was about 15-20 frames per second.... Unplayable and unacceptable for a 2018 game with a build called 1.0.... )

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Mr Jizz said:

In the back of my cynical mind I conjured a woeful thought - Perhaps Steam threatened BI with some sort of financial action if they didn't finish the game. Consider that the "Early Access Alpha" scenario is a big part of Steam's bottom line, and when companies like BI come along to cash in on the mere PROSPECT of a good game but offer no real path to completion (perhaps hoping to make a quick buck before people move on and forget), it makes Steam look like the arbiter of a sucker-scam. Bad PR for Steam if that's true. Sadly, this release officially feels rushed, and I'm fully expecting them to leave this one dead on the operating table having made it to "full release".

You are right. This is the reason... Because clearly it's not a 1.0 but still alpha release... They only put a 1.0 version name only to sell next year to PS4 (Sony doesn't allow Early Access game on his store)and also for not take the risk from Steam to delete the game after 5 years of Early Access without a finished release. It's the thruth and devs know this, they won't clearly never admit this but the thruth is this. I have no other answers to explain a 1.0 release rushed in this state.... For not talking about the very bad and poor FPS performance and broken damage system....

• Beans 1

I havent used tents yet (they are to big for my taste) But barrels full of gear work fine for our squad on our server. Even after restarts.

So if there is an issue with tents, ill say go with barrels.

7 hours ago, HeadRox said:

I havent used tents yet (they are to big for my taste) But barrels full of gear work fine for our squad on our server. Even after restarts.

So if there is an issue with tents, ill say go with barrels.

Could just be your server. Had a barrel and buried stash disappear too.

5 minutes ago, Mr Jizz said:

That is strange. We will test our base / tents tonight if they stay with stuff in the inventories.
Then ill report back. Until now we haven't build any base yet or tent.

Hope ill find a tent :P

5 days, no issues with our base/persistence. We are on an official server that does back ups.

4 medium tents, one big military tent, vehicle and 4 barrels. All still there. We try ti interact with them every day.

Could be your server. Persistence worked great for us the 5 weeks of beta testing on our server and also these first 4-5 days of 1.0 no issues yet. Try an official server that saves backups more often and there shouldn't be an issue. Its def an issue but mostly in modded/community servers from my experience. Yet to have an issue on the official servers the last 5-6 weeks of beta and now 1.0. Even after restarts/resets of the server, all our stuff is still there (I have not had this kind of luck in modded servers though).

We did have some funny bugs related to other things though yesterday lol.

Edited by kozzy420

1 hour ago, Mr Jizz said:

Just checkt, persistance is working. Barrels with gear, tenst with gear, cars with gear. These all persist after restart(shutdown).

Maybe post your server setup here, so we can read and maybe see a difference.
root/folders/cfg's etc.

Edited by HeadRox