Wackamole

Night is a problem.

On 17.12.2018 at 3:08 PM, Parazight said:

Did some server hopping. For Science.  Using the same head torch, just minutes apart, you can notice the difference.  I don't know if there is some simple setting, but whatever, bad lighting sucks.  Note that I didn't change anything on my end other than jumping back and forth a couple times between 2 nighttime servers.  Server settings cause this, maybe?  

If your game looks like the first picture then I suggest you jump ship.  No wonder some people are up in arms and some people say that it's not bad.

Bad lighting:

97648B05104D262C311BC421E07E93AAFA90EDBF

Good lighting:

9514DCB373865580ACE3A265E3906781FBEAFA76

I know this problem, at first I thought, oh the battery is sure to be empty soon. The further play, however, brought the realization. When the night is young and the darkness has not yet reached the "high point", then light sources appear very weak (this takes about 10-15min at time multiplier 6.2) ... then in the real night the light sources are good. The same thing happens when the morning comes, but it is there (I was in the east on the coast) less bad because the dusk gives more light, and the "weak light" of the lamp is not so noticeable. Whether it is intended or a bug .... I do not know.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, papsh said:

Im pretty sure people wanted a nice pvp open world experience here and at the end they got diarrhea and a toilet paper. Have fun with that.

Spat out my coffee

On 12/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, cintecian said:

This is a never-ending argument ever since the days of the dayz mod. I would be really surprised if most servers and players don't gravitate towards 24/7 day servers just like in the mod. The vast majority of players seem to prefer day time all the time.

Already there, always there. Don't see it changing.

Same as 3PP proliferation, I guess, but... uh, more understandable.

Sometimes I see popular servers with low-pop... look at details... oh, it's night. Of course.

And to be totally honest, if I see two servers, one day, one night, I'm heading for the day one. I like to see people, so I can go and kill them, or vice versa (or I guess more acceptable desire would be so I can run up to people and say "hello, good sir!" in my most roleplaying-est roleplaying voice). Either way day = more interaction and night = less, and I have limited free time.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2018 at 4:11 AM, pilgrim* said:

And dang, I never SAW a pine-cone, and didn't hear anyone ever mention them, DEFINITELY not Hicks.

Sigh - It was a metaphor for the hours and hours of effort wasted by some players and devs about  introducing crafting content and a difficulty level that was never going to make the game. This had a detrimental effect on the game as development lost focus on the important stuff like making a game bug free and playable.  Can you imagine spawning with fruit and a can of pepsi when Hicks was around?

Anyhow I'll try and keep my posts literal in future .

Edited by forteantimes23

8 hours ago, forteantimes23 said:

Sigh - It was a metaphor for the hours and hours of effort wasted by some players and devs about  introducing crafting content and a difficulty level that was never going to make the game. This had a detrimental effect on the game as development lost focus on the important stuff like making a game bug free and playable.  Can you imagine spawning with fruit and a can of pepsi when Hicks was around?

Anyhow I'll try and keep my posts literal in future .

[sigh] bug free and playable without wasting time on content and difficulty level? -   wow, that's what you said the first time too.

Using the Artic Latitudes mod and certain date and time settings on my server,  I've created a sort of twilight atmosphere at night so it's not pitch black. This way my server can still go through a 24 period in one server cycle without the night being unplayable. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, Sqeezorz said:

I know this problem, at first I thought, oh the battery is sure to be empty soon. The further play, however, brought the realization. When the night is young and the darkness has not yet reached the "high point", then light sources appear very weak (this takes about 10-15min at time multiplier 6.2) ... then in the real night the light sources are good. The same thing happens when the morning comes, but it is there (I was in the east on the coast) less bad because the dusk gives more light, and the "weak light" of the lamp is not so noticeable. Whether it is intended or a bug .... I do not know.

Yea.  Dawn and dusk are a problem.  I avoid driving right after the sun goes down.  But the middle of the night isn't as bad.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:57 PM, pilgrim* said:

- if you are outdoors at night with zero artificial light, overcast, no stars, even in woodland, and you can't see your Hands in front of your Face
          wow    ... you are in a STRANGE place

IMO  - that's probably not Earth

Come over to the Kampinos Forest at the outskirts of Warsaw, Poland. Be prepared to get your mind blown off.

Trying to intimidate the users of this forum through ridicule has little chance of working, I'm afraid. And your posts are harder and harder to read (teenage English aside) due to the mix of constant chest thumping and attempts at demeaning the others. Just FYI.

2 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Using the Artic Latitudes mod and certain date and time settings on my server,  I've created a sort of twilight atmosphere at night so it's not pitch black. This way my server can still go through a 24 period in one server cycle without the night being unplayable. 

From a logical argument, DayZ seams to take place in the autum. I myself come from Northern Sweden, close to the polar circle. Its bright during the summer, but already in August nights are dark again. 

But in DayZs case a bit brighter nights would be nice. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Evilsausage said:

From a logical argument, DayZ seams to take place in the autum. I myself come from Northern Sweden, close to the polar circle. Its bright during the summer, but already in August nights are dark again. 

Visually it does , yes. But in previous builds we've had more intense cold or heat - like the one where everybody had to stay drenched all the time to prevent overheating (0.59?).

I remember one of the devs (Eugen?) saying that all the climactic conditions and day/night cycles were closely aligned with what they were IRL. 

4 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

I set the date to May 5th and with the mod, the darkness isn't pitch black. It looks good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Come over to the Kampinos Forest at the outskirts of Warsaw, Poland. Be prepared to get your mind blown off.

Trying to intimidate the users of this forum through ridicule has little chance of working, I'm afraid. And your posts are harder and harder to read (teenage English aside) due to the mix of constant chest thumping and attempts at demeaning the others. Just FYI.

try to stay civilized mate.. thanx.. so you've been in surface darkness (in a forest) so dark that you couldn't see your hand until you touched your face with it.
Great. That must have been an interesting experience.  Please don't tell me that happens to you often, I won't believe you  - unless you have defective eyesight - in which case I apologize for belittling you. - I'm speaking of normal human eyesight in even extreme surface conditions on this planet. 

I don't have any urge to thump my chest, friend, I'm not trying to impress. I've been an adult for over 40 years so I was probably cave-diving before you were born. But I gave that up a LONG time ago, I only do easy stuff now - really, I'm at peace with myself and who needs the stress ?

So is this conversation about DayZ and night-vision  or not?  

Basically this thread has broken down into, I can't gamma exploit so the game now sucks with others trying to convince some of us that they have supervision and can see in pitch black darkness.  Cool

• Beans 1

On 12/26/2018 at 11:09 AM, Guy Smiley said:

Basically this thread has broken down into, I can't gamma exploit so the game now sucks with others trying to convince some of us that they have supervision and can see in pitch black darkness.  Cool

Most players would like no gamma exploit + old night.

EqyTcYm.jpg

At least, most players actively posting on forums or subreddit. Most players DO NOT LIKE no gamma exploit + unable to see.

mNcS5Vf.png

I've seen popular 1st person servers like DayzUnderground sitting at high or full, and a few minutes later when I refresh the list drops to low... what? Oh... it must be night.

If so many people don't like something it's a clue there may be room for improvement.

Edited by -Gews-

1 minute ago, -Gews- said:

Most players would like no gamma exploit + old night.

EqyTcYm.jpg

At least, most players actively posting on forums or subreddit. Most players DO NOT LIKE no gamma exploit + unable to see.

mNcS5Vf.png

I've seen popular 1st person servers like DayzUnderground sitting at high or full, and a few minutes later when I refresh the lit drop to low... what? Oh... it must be night.

If so many people don't like something it's a clue there may be room for improvement.

Sorry, but I disagree with that top pic.  Nights are not that bright.  In fact, it's really dark out right now and that's with street lights.  And of course people log off when night time comes in DayZ, they threw away their light sources so they could carny more ammo.  Fact of the matter is, zero light pollution = very very dark nights.  That is a fact.  They could tweak the moon a little bit but the moon itself is not a light sources.  It's only reflecting the sun

22 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Sorry, but I disagree with that top pic.  Nights are not that bright.  In fact, it's really dark out right now and that's with street lights.  And of course people log off when night time comes in DayZ, they threw away their light sources so they could carny more ammo.  Fact of the matter is, zero light pollution = very very dark nights.  That is a fact.  They could tweak the moon a little bit but the moon itself is not a light sources.  It's only reflecting the sun

Not meant to be realistic picture of a dark night. It's even bright for old DayZ. But I've never boosted gamma and brightness in this game because they always gave us (more than) enough moonlight to make out where we're going and what we're doing. Not realistic to have moon all the time. But realistically, people sleep at night.

If you end up on a server and can only see, maybe outlines of treetops, and the rest is pitch black, that's hardly playable.

Old renderer typical night:

Old new renderer typical night:

17 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Not meant to be realistic picture of a dark night. It's even bright for old DayZ. But I've never boosted gamma and brightness in this game because they always gave us (more than) enough moonlight to make out where we're going and what we're doing. Not realistic to have moon all the time. But realistically, people sleep at night.

If you end up on a server and can only see, maybe outlines of treetops, and the rest is pitch black, that's hardly playable.

Old renderer typical night:

Old new renderer typical night:

Now compared those videos of old night, to this video of the new night.

How is anyone supposed to play this without a light source? How is anyone supposed to play this if their only light source runs out? 

(and even with a light source, I don't think it's much fun to play. There's the odd "atmospheric" or "creepy" situations but you're still stuck pretty much blundering around in the dark. You can punch zombies with your flashlight or something, woo)

But without a light source, not worth the effort.

Edited by -Gews-

24 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

Now compared those videos of old night, to this video of the new night.

How is anyone supposed to play this without a light source? How is anyone supposed to play this if their only light source runs out? 

(and even with a light source, I don't think it's much fun to play. There's the odd "atmospheric" or "creepy" situations but you're still stuck pretty much blundering around in the dark. You can punch zombies with your flashlight or something, woo)

But without a light source, not worth the effort.

Seriously dude?  You complain so much about guns not being real enough but when night time is real you complain about that?  

1 minute ago, Guy Smiley said:

Seriously dude?  You complain so much about guns not being real enough but when night time is real you complain about that?  

You don't think it needs any changes?

Just now, -Gews- said:

You don't think it needs any changes?

No, it doesn't.  Use a light source

I would love to post a picture of what it's like in an area without light pollution but guess what, you wouldn't be able to see it

6 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

No, it doesn't.  Use a light source

So, unplayable unless you have a light.

And even with a light, you can't do anything that makes DayZ fun, IMO. Unless you find the night vision scope... or you could just go to another server like most people. Which is what I did. I don't usually feel like roleplaying in inky blackness.

18 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

I would love to post a picture of what it's like in an area without light pollution but guess what, you wouldn't be able to see it

Not going to be that dark as I'm standing in the open by the ocean and judging by the stars, skies are pretty clear. But that doesn't matter in any case. You either give people enough light to make out their surroundings or have the servers empty at night. It's bad game design. At least in DayZ mod everyone spawned with a flashlight (which did not require batteries, or take up inventory space). For a few years standalone has put a bright (too bright) full moon to light the way. Night in 1.0 needs tweaks to make it playable, and to make people want to play it.

WRONG! IT NEEDS TO BE PITCH BLACK! PITCH BLACK! EYESHINE DOESN'T EXIST! GO PLAY FORTNITE, YOU CASUAL!

• Haha 1

1) I will be the first person to admit that if it starts to get dark on a server, I find a safe place to log out.

In a real-world survival scenario, I wouldn't run around at nighttime. Its dumb, being an easy way to get hurt, and if I need something..... I would be better off getting a spot of rest and continuing in the morning.

So why would I do so in-game? Even if we can't trip over out feet in the darkness and break our faces, running around at night with my primary senses largely-useless does not seem like a good use of my time

2) Nights *can* be bright, depending on the cloud and tree-cover and the phase of the moon. If it is a new moon, or cloud or tree-cover is heavy, chances are you won't be able to see your hand in front of your face. But, with a full moon in open terrain.... you can read a book. I've done it.

• Beans 1

14 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

1) I will be the first person to admit that if it starts to get dark on a server, I find a safe place to log out.

In a real-world survival scenario, I wouldn't run around at nighttime. Its dumb, being an easy way to get hurt, and if I need something..... I would be better off getting a spot of rest and continuing in the morning.

So why would I do so in-game? Even if we can't trip over out feet in the darkness and break our faces, running around at night with my primary senses largely-useless does not seem like a good use of my time

2) Nights *can* be bright, depending on the cloud and tree-cover and the phase of the moon. If it is a new moon, or cloud or tree-cover is heavy, chances are you won't be able to see your hand in front of your face. But, with a full moon in open terrain.... you can read a book. I've done it.

totally agree - if DayZ was real no one would be going outside at night.