Wackamole

Night is a problem.

there ought to be a difference between full moon and no-moon. Obviously. In a city or open place without artificial light, under a full moon it would be fairly EASY to find your way around and see to a distance. Even in forests this would be possible to some extent(but it can get dark in forests).

To have a normal night, even cloudy dark and rainy, that is so dark you cannot AT ALL see railway lines until you hear yourself walking across them .. is not realistic.

• Beans 3

20 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

there ought to be a difference between full moon and no-moon. Obviously. In a city or open place without artificial light, under a full moon it would be fairly EASY to find your way around and see to a distance. Even in forests this would be possible to some extent(but it can get dark in forests).

To have a normal night, even cloudy dark and rainy, that is so dark you cannot AT ALL see railway lines until you hear yourself walking across them .. is not realistic.

Agreed. While modding Skyrim to get realistic nights I actually paid attention while walking outside at night in real life and on a partially cloudy night with the moon there is reasonable visibility even with no lights nearby.

Edited by Survivor1431
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

. also there’s these little scratchy white dots everywhere on my screen : brightness is always at 50% (default).

If you still have white dots, that means there is still something set too high on your end.  try tweaking your Nvidia settings,monitor settings, and turning down in-game brightness slider until static just barely disappears; this will give you the cleanest, highest contrast night experience possible.

I swear, some of the people still having such a bad time at night are just not using optimal settings, and it makes things easily 3x worse than seeing a "clear" pitch black screen.

My baseline is on a clear night, to stand in an open field with a paved road, rail fence, and nearby houses and treeline.  You SHOULD be able to make out the rail fence and lines painted on the road for up to 10 meters, see some faint outline of a house from 25 meters, and easily distinguish between the tops of the trees and the sky.
If this is not the case, continue tweaking your settings.  And if you are playing in a well-lit room, that may also be part your problem.

Only being able to see horizon line items and outlines while a full moon out is not realistic.    No moon?  Yeah it's going to be pretty dark, but with stars you will be able to see like you said above.
I could not see my hands in the darkness last night with a full moon. 

I'll see if I can tweak any kinds of settings like you say, but it still seems unnaturally dark, as a "game balance mechanic".

• Like 1

Did some server hopping. For Science.  Using the same head torch, just minutes apart, you can notice the difference.  I don't know if there is some simple setting, but whatever, bad lighting sucks.  Note that I didn't change anything on my end other than jumping back and forth a couple times between 2 nighttime servers.  Server settings cause this, maybe?  

If your game looks like the first picture then I suggest you jump ship.  No wonder some people are up in arms and some people say that it's not bad.

Bad lighting:

97648B05104D262C311BC421E07E93AAFA90EDBF

Good lighting:

9514DCB373865580ACE3A265E3906781FBEAFA76

• Like 2
  • Beans 3

A good solution is to provide better options for lights at night. Whether it be finding things like flashlights, more flare spawns, etc. There's nothing wrong with the night time, it's just people aren't used to it, just like how they aren't used to NOT having a map. First time playing the game it got difficult having nothing pop up when pressing M, but i got over it. I loved the flare at night because i would place it on tables in houses and then look around. It would also be nice to be able to have candles in houses you could light, or lights you could turn on, but night time is night time... not sure what people expect. I absolutely hate it when people decide to either disable night time, or "cheat" by just turning up their contrast and brightness which essentially ruins the gameplay.

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

If your game looks like the first picture then I suggest you jump ship.  No wonder some people are up in arms and some people say that it's not bad.

I mean, not even the first image you attached shows the complete darkness of overcast night times... The screen is PITCH BLACK those nights.

38 minutes ago, CaptainAzimuth said:

not sure what people expect

- if you are outdoors at night with zero artificial light, overcast, no stars, even in woodland, and you can't see your Hands in front of your Face
          wow    ... you are in a STRANGE place

IMO  - that's probably not Earth

On 12/10/2018 at 9:33 AM, Wackamole said:

I liked another players idea of the idea that our eyes do adjust somewhat to darkness after a time.

These kind of ideas destroyed the game and after 5 years is still broken. Obviously its not only devs fault. (DayZ mod nightime was fine especially in DayZero.)

eyes adjust to darkness...... hahahaa wtf are you smoking ??!! ITS A GAME its not super realistic dude !!! If a game was super realistic then nobody will play it because it will take millions of hours to play a game !! How many have millions of hours to spend in a game ??????!!!

Edited by papsh

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

- if you are outdoors at night with zero artificial light, overcast, no stars, even in woodland, and you can't see your Hands in front of your Face

Well, granted, i was in a game session at night last night. Cloud cover, and fog. There was indeed a bit of light coming trough the clouds, but i was near towns because it's kinda important especially at night. Perhaps a slight tweak is fine, but creating artificial light or worse yet, creating that EA/DICE blue night filter is a totally unnecessary step that I personally would not welcome. The best idea is to strike a sort of ambient balance that's authentic, closest to realism, just not too crazy.

• Beans 1

1 minute ago, papsh said:

DayZ mod nightime was fine

I agree with that . The problem was gamma boosters gaining unfair advantage and spoiling the night game  - was only that.. always was.. nothing else at all. Nothing else needs solving.

1 minute ago, papsh said:

eyes adjust to darkness...... hahahaa wtf are you smoking ??!!

YOU live in a city, dude.. !!   (and you aren't a photographer, either) .. see how much I know about you from one casual comment ?
You never spent a night in open country, wilderness,  or in a forest in your life, right? - except maybe in a camp with headlights, floodlights and a McDonalds?

Bet you don't know that you can see SHAPES better in low light from the edges of your eyes, and COLORS better by looking directly at them? And I know, you don't know why.
Human beings have been hunters since we started being human. You have some AMAZING equipment born with your body, and a brain designed to process the input even when you aren't thinking about it. Pity to not make use of those abilities or know about them. You only get one lifetime to make use of it. Try it out.

xxP

31 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

I agree with that . The problem was gamma boosters gaining unfair advantage and spoiling the night game  - was only that.. always was.. nothing else at all. Nothing else needs solving.

YOU live in a city, dude.. !!   (and you aren't a photographer, either) .. see how much I know about you from one casual comment ?
You never spent a night in open country, wilderness,  or in a forest in your life, right? - except maybe in a camp with headlights, floodlights and a McDonalds?

Bet you don't know that you can see SHAPES better in low light from the edges of your eyes, and COLORS better by looking directly at them? And I know, you don't know why.
Human beings have been hunters since we started being human. You have some AMAZING equipment born with your body, and a brain designed to process the input even when you aren't thinking about it. Pity to not make use of those abilities or know about them. You only get one lifetime to make use of it. Try it out.

xxP

You know many things pilgrim but you are wrong. I live outside the city in a pretty dark place and i know the things you mentioned unless im blind, but my point is that all this ''super realistic world''  cant be done by these devs and some people here pushed them to make something they cant do. Im pretty sure people wanted a nice pvp open world experience here and at the end they got diarrhea and a toilet paper. Have fun with that.

Edited by papsh

20 minutes ago, papsh said:

You know many things pilgrim but you are wrong. I live outside the city in a pretty dark place and i know the things you mentioned unless im blind, but my point is that all this ''super realistic world''  cant be done by these devs and some people here pushed them to make something they cant do. Im pretty sure people wanted a nice pvp open world experience here and at the end they got diarrhea and a toilet paper. Have fun with that.

The developers never intended DayZ to be realistic.  Only authentic.  There's a distinct difference.  If it was realistic there wouldn't be zombies.  It would take you months to grow crops, not a single play session.  Respawning wouldn't be an option.  It's a game.  Assembled by zeros and ones.  

If you think the game is diarrhea and toilet paper, then why are you here?

No one here pushed the devs to make them do something they can't do.  BI does whatever it wants.  That's always been their modus operandi.  Thank goodness.

• Beans 1

37 minutes ago, papsh said:

t my point is that all this ''super realistic world''  cant be done by these devs and some people here pushed them to make something they cant do

papsh - you added the text about the "super realistic world" AFTER I answered your post dude.  (heh.. got ya)

All you said first time round was  << eyes adjust to darkness...... hahahaa wtf are you smoking ??!! >>

You got my answer to that.

You (country dude) - Have YOU ever been out on the ground level - away from artificial light - on a night when you could NOT SEE your hand in front of your face?
That has happened to me 2 times in my LONG lifetime and both of those were in mountain blizzards. I mean when you cant see your hand when you put it up to touch your face. That's Extremely RARE.
You should try a little potholing (speleology) - you'll understand what I'm talking about. THEN you can't see your own hand. At nighttime anywhere you always can.

The only problem about darkness in DayZ is that some players were turning up their Gamma so they could see as if it were daylight. A lot of people objected to this (and a lot of players did it too). so eventually BI decided to try to do something about that one single problem.  This is how far they have got at the moment.  you understand its a difficult problem because you can't control a players Gamma from the server, so they're free to cheat as much as they like.

If a lot of folk don't like BIs experiment, BI will try something else. But it is true that Gamma abusers were wrecking the nightime game totally.
We don't want them back, I guess.

Edited by pilgrim*

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Nope, that's just Finland in the forest when there was no snow.

1 hour ago, papsh said:

eyes adjust to darkness...... hahahaa wtf are you smoking ??!! ITS A GAME its not super realistic dude !!! If a game was super realistic then nobody will play it because it will take millions of hours to play a game !! How many have millions of hours to spend in a game ??????!!!

I hate to burst your bubble, hombre, but the game has already had this mechanic for quite some time now.  If you build a fire and look towards it, you temporarily lose the ability to see what is around you.  If you turn your back to the fire, you regain the ability to see things in the darkness.

What people want, is for this to be tweaked a bit, so players could see more in near total darkness, like our eyes do IRL.  You response to pilgrim* tells us a lot.  Nighttime spoils your search for players to shoot from afar, therefore it is garbage.

I came to DayZ for a harsh, gritty, open world, multiplayer survival simulator with zombies.  And I got just that.  Maybe a bit too harsh, as I keep getting killed by being bugged in doorways while trying to fight off zombies with a glowstick...

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Making pitch black night isnt a solution. Maybe its better for Bohemia to close the servers cause nobody will be left in the servers playing with flashlights. In DayZero mod they let the ''gamma abusers'' to ''abuse'' (we had similar problems there as well) and when everybody is using it , theres no problem. (its similar to 3rd person abuse system :) ) Go figure...

I wish Tansien (the creator of DayZero) to start making DayZero SA and judging by his old work he will do miracles.

There are plenty of people who have adapted to the new conditions.  On constantly full private servers with a queue, people have stopped logging off overnight, for fear of losing their slot.  Even when the server is half full at night, people have stopped logging off just in this last week.  The majority of experienced players have adapted already.
What does that tell you about the group of players who still believe night is unplayable?  Does a large portion of the player base have legitimate medical issues that prevent them from playing at night?  I know a lot of DayZ players, and have only met two people who claim eyestrain or other discomfort in trying to play at night...

I can only imagine how daunting it is for new players, but you refer to the good ol' days of the mod, so we can assume that's not the case.
So what is the problem again?  Do you have trouble getting from one place to another? Not enough flares and glowsticks?  Bad luck with battery spawns?  Flashlight field not far/wide enough?  Too hard to find a compass?  Other players don't glow in the dark from 900 meters away?

Just be honest with us; you don't like night because it makes things harder for your preferred playstyle, and nothing anybody says or does to help you adapt to this will be good enough.  Did I get that right?  Just wanna make sure not to waste anymore time on an agree to disagree discussion...

• Like 1

The problem is in having a desire to wonder out at night in the first place, because only true survivors find or build cosy shelters with food and never allow themselves getting caught by the dark xD

This is a never-ending argument ever since the days of the dayz mod. I would be really surprised if most servers and players don't gravitate towards 24/7 day servers just like in the mod. The vast majority of players seem to prefer day time all the time. There's already a server mod available called eternal day (i have no idea how good it is however). So many people will log off of a server when it's night and log into another server that is in a day cycle. In the mod it was quantifiable by watching the player list shrink by at least 25% during the first 5-10 minutes of a server going into a night cycle. Now that the "gamma-goggle" work-around has been eliminated the drop off will be even worse. Log-offs are one serious problem facing servers when it comes to having a night-cycle the other problem is players who have attained NVG's (especially with silenced weapons) and then proceed to haunt the coast and hunt fresh spawns. Geared coast hunting has always been a thing in DayZ and it becomes a bigger problem at night. I think the scummiest thing you can do in DayZ is use your knowledge of coastal spawns to spawn camp with top-tier gear.

It's sad because night could be done similar to what it was before with higher visibility but it would render things like NVG's, flashlights, torches,  and flares unnecessary. But, 24/7 day servers will also render those things completely useless. We need a balance if possible.       

Edited by cintecian
mistakes

....it works properly. ;-)

11 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

xxP

11 hours ago, papsh said:

Papsh has a point the time spent by Hicks, (supported by some posters on here), about making the survival game as hyper-realistic as possible helped to derail the game. In reality it was never going to happen and 3 years were wasted talking about crafting fish hooks out of pine cones. So much time talking about stuff that was never going to get in the game...

Anyhow back to night.

Eyes do adjust to darkness, I work at night and live in an area with minimal artificial lighting but again we are looking at introducing another feature before making sure the game is running at an acceptable level. 

Just for the time being, whilst the devs work on making sure the game runs ok, make night more playable. You LTP lot who want to play in complete darkness just deal with it for the time being - it's about getting people back in the game.  Devs can revisit making night harder later. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, papsh said:

at the end they got diarrhea and a toilet paper

10 hours ago, forteantimes23 said:

3 years were wasted talking about crafting fish hooks out of pine cones

I missed out on that stuff .. tell me more .. I was around when animals were introduced, and I was around they cut down all the northern forest and wilderness and built towns and villages, and I was around when they extended the military bases so it was easy to gear up full mil, and I was around when the zombies faded out to one or two per village, and stopped doing interesting things, and I was around when they stopped leaving dead bodies lying in the road, and I was here when persistence was introduced and you could have 5 tents full of mill gear, and I was playing when server admins realized they could join the public hive and then just kick anyone they liked, with no comeback fropm BI or the GSPs, so they looted masses of gear for "friends only" and went PvP on other public servers, because if they were killed they could gear up again on their kick server in 3 minutes.
And I was playing when they took FLIES out of the game in case it was too gruesome for the kidz.

BUT I never wiped my ASS once in DayZ

And dang, I never SAW a pine-cone, and didn't hear anyone ever mention them, DEFINITELY not Hicks.

<so that's all CR@P.. OK?> Maybe lots of fun to say, but bullcr@p.

Back on topic... Is this HARD TO HEAR ??     Listen :

The ONLY PROBLEM  about darkness in DayZ  was that some players were turning up their GAMMA at home so they could see really well AS IF IT WERE DAYLIGHT. 
You understand? -  This is a difficult problem because BI can't control a players Gamma from the server, so they're free to cheat as much as they like.
It's an Exploit.
This was wrecking the game for anyone who wanted to play in ANY KIND of darkness/nightime in DayZ.

It doesn't matter if there is "bright moonlight" or overcast under-the-trees "deep darkness".. Some bastard could TURN THEIR GAMMA to max, for laffs,  and put a bullet through your head from 100 meters away.  It made NO DIFFERENCE if YOU could half-see, not-see, had a torch or a flare, wanted to PLAY this nightime Game .. made no difference.. You were 100% dead every time,  and pretty soon everyone stopped playing nighttime except the gamma exploiters.   And because zombies didn't see real good in darkness, that just made it Laffs Exploit Time, free and easy for hoppers and mass looters.  
TOGETHER WITH A 24 HOUR CLOCK SET TO REAL TIME?  - half the time you want to play it's dark and the Exploiters kill you every time you log in.  That gets to be old, really fast.

So - Kind of got boring, right?  (unless you were a play for laffs kidz exploiter & didn't give a toss)

The whole problem is that simple.. there aint NO mystery about it.  Gamma Exploit is ALL this is about. Nothing else. 

Depends which solution you want - I can borderline play nights now (sometimes, but it's very mainly cr@p).  But I sure was NOT interested in playing on a server with Gamma Exploiters, there is NO WAY AT ALL to know if they can see you, and if they are exploiting (they ARE) then they CAN. That's cr@p too.

Edited by pilgrim*