Wackamole

Night is a problem.

Whether you like the nights or not, please try to discuss it as reasonable adults. The insults and personal remarks are unnecessary.

Not looking at anyone in particular, just an evenly distributed surly glance.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

17 hours ago, daniel0056 said:

Yeah try that on a server with rainy and overcast night time weather...

Carry a compass.  If you don't have a compass, then just enjoy being lost, stay put until dawn, or play another server for an hour or two...

Dark and stormy nights are, shall we say, difficult and unaccommodating. Am I missing anything?

11 hours ago, daniel0056 said:

just so the player can tell if they're swimming, free-falling or standing on solid ground.

Are your sound settings not working correctly???

11 hours ago, Andrew Huk said:

lol so many trolls on this website defending the night mode...

Maybe you need to turn down your brightness to 50% or less.  I know that helped a friend who had a washed-out screen.  On an overcast rainy night, there simply will be a period of total darkness, carry a glowstick so you know if you are running into a fence; and be  very careful if you are in an area with cliffs.
If on a partly coudy night, you cannot tell the difference between the sky and the treetops or horizon, then your settings are borked.  Restore your monitor to factory defaults, and adjust the brightness slider in game options to best contrast possible at night. 
Then tweak you monitor a bit for your own preference and room lighting.  I actually turn off my lights when possible to reduce room glare on my screen.

And please don't call us trolls just because we have learned to cope with an increased difficulty level in a game, which you may find too daunting to want to play in such a state.  It's...Unflattering.

If anyone is interested, here is the VOD from my session last night. You will notice that it is grainy and a bit lighter than what you might expect; this is because I increase the gamma in OBS to the maximum possible before washout, to make viewing possible. Skip ahead to the 2 hour mark to see how I play in the dark.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347589855?t=02h00m39s
I start out looting Balota airfield after dark, and by 2:25, I loot the tents north of Novoselky and kill a couple zeds with a glowstick.
On the way, at around 2:20, I take a few hits from a zed, because I can't see that i am running into something without using a light. I actually walked away to take a leak at that point, and only after watching the VOD, do I know that it was a dumpster that was in my way. 
And still I managed to escape danger, in pitch black without a light, and while AFK 
Aroudn 2:36, I trip over a log while jogging down a steep hill, and get a bit of a scare.  Lucky me, it wasn't a cliff, or I'd have died from being careless,and not staying on the road after I felt it under my feet just a moment before.
2:50 and 3:02 are points that "show" (LOL) me hunting and killing chickens with a knife by sound alone...

If after watching that, you still don't think your problem with night is simply a failure to adapt, then I just don't know what to tell ya.

Oh wait, yeah I do...  Kwitcherbitchin'.  L2P. Git GUUD.  F4  F8  F7 F9   You disappoint me with your apparent lack of brass.  Sorry, Max Planck, not meaning to be uncivilized here; I just think that after demonstrating that it is possible to play at night, perhaps a little cheeky ribbing was in order.

Note: I am aware that some people have issues with their vision that makes playing in this level of darkness extremely uncomfortable and/or difficult, or simply impossible.  This feedback was not meant for the segment of players with legitimate medical issues that negatively affects their nighttime play.

Edited by emuthreat

5 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Carry a compass.  If you don't have a compass, then just enjoy being lost, stay put until dawn, or play another server for an hour or two...

Dark and stormy nights are, shall we say, difficult and unaccommodating. Am I missing anything?

Are your sound settings not working correctly???

Maybe you need to turn down your brightness to 50% or less.  I know that helped a friend who had a washed-out screen.  On an overcast rainy night, there simply will be a period of total darkness, carry a glowstick so you know if you are running into a fence; and be  very careful if you are in an area with cliffs.
If on a partly coudy night, you cannot tell the difference between the sky and the treetops or horizon, then your settings are borked.  Restore your monitor to factory defaults, and adjust the brightness slider in game options to best contrast possible at night. 
Then tweak you monitor a bit for your own preference and room lighting.  I actually turn off my lights when possible to reduce room glare on my screen.

And please don't call us trolls just because we have learned to cope with an increased difficulty level in a game, which you may find too daunting to want to play in such a state.  It's...Unflattering.

If anyone is interested, here is the VOD from my session last night. You will notice that it is grainy and a bit lighter than what you might expect; this is because I increase the gamma in OBS to the maximum possible before washout, to make viewing possible. Skip ahead to the 2 hour mark to see how I play in the dark.

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347589855?t=02h00m39s
I start out looting Balota airfield after dark, and by 2:25, I loot the tents north of Novoselky and kill a couple zeds with a glowstick.
On the way, at around 2:20, I take a few hits from a zed, because I can't see that i am running into something without using a light. I actually walked away to take a leak at that point, and only after watching the VOD, do I know that it was a dumpster that was in my way. 
And still I managed to escape danger, in pitch black without a light, and while AFK 
Aroudn 2:36, I trip over a log while jogging down a steep hill, and get a bit of a scare.  Lucky me, it wasn't a cliff, or I'd have died from being careless,and not staying on the road after I felt it under my feet just a moment before.
2:50 and 3:02 are points that "show" (LOL) me hunting and killing chickens with a knife by sound alone...

If after watching that, you still don't think your problem with night is simply a failure to adapt, then I just don't know what to tell ya.

Oh wait, yeah I do...  Kwitcherbitchin'.  L2P. Git GUUD.  F4  F8  F7 F9   You disappoint me with your apparent lack of brass.  Sorry, Max Planck, not meaning to be uncivilized here; I just think that after demonstrating that it is possible to play at night, perhaps a little cheeky ribbing was in order.

Note: I am aware that some people have issues with their vision that makes playing in this level of darkness extremely uncomfortable and/or difficult, or simply impossible.  This feedback was not meant for the segment of players with legitimate medical issues that negatively affects their nighttime play.

My impression of this reply is that you don't play this game, honestly - but ok, I will humor this post to some extent;

"Carry compass. If you don't have a compass, then just enjoy being lost, stay put until dawn, or play another server for an hour or two..."
So, you're saying that the NPE (new player experience) should be: a) buy the game b) install the game c) setup character d) join server e) sit and wait for 4 hours because of a black screen? (Hint; no, a new player would assume something is broken and switch server or in worst case scenario refund the game instantly)

"Are your sound settings not working correctly?" 
How is sound going to help anyone see? I think you totally missed the point of visual indications in a game oriented around survival and pve/pvp.

"Dark and stormy nights are, shall we say, difficult and unaccommodating. Am I missing anything?"
Nope, you got that 100% correct. I suggest you do like me and go camping 3-4 times a year to experience stormy nights for real.

"Maybe you need to turn down your brightness to 50% or less."
This made me laugh a little.

"And please don't call us trolls just because we have learned to cope with an increased difficulty level in a game"
I'm not calling you a troll, I'm simply stating that a black screen isn't a difficult level or even a game, it's simply a black screen. How are you supposed to be able to re-spawn if you die - without gear - and expect to start all over with a black screen? If your answer to this is "well, switch server or just stop playing for a few hours" then you might just be a troll.

"If anyone is interested, here is the VOD from my session last night. You will notice that it is grainy and a bit lighter than what you might expect; this is because I increase the gamma in OBS to the maximum possible before washout, to make viewing possible"
So, you admit to gamma hacking to be able to see? I see, maybe you're a troll anyway. The video you linked is far from being as dark as it usually gets in DayZ night time. Just for testing purposes I tried gamma/brightness correction in the GeForce experience overlay, and not even that can make you see the slightest - so I call you out on the video not showing total darkness. 

Edited by daniel0056

1 hour ago, Mantasisg said:

What about just learning to deal with the challenge ?

What challenge? Are you referring to not being able to see? Sure, I can live with people server-hopping but that takes out all the fun of actually having nighttime.

Edited by daniel0056

6 hours ago, daniel0056 said:

So, you admit to gamma hacking to be able to see? I see, maybe you're a troll anyway. The video you linked is far from being as dark as it usually gets in DayZ night time. Just for testing purposes I tried gamma/brightness correction in the GeForce experience overlay, and not even that can make you see the slightest - so I call you out on the video not showing total darkness. 

turning up gamma in obs doesnt affect gameplay.  obs is the recording software he uses..... and for the record.... sound would more than easily enough tell u if u are swimming or on solid ground

• Beans 3

1 hour ago, Mantasisg said:

What about just learning to deal with the challenge ?

PVE is straight up not a challenge.  Sure, you might die a few times, but learning the map and mechanics is permanent.  That's the best loot to have, to survive on your own.  Eventually, not-dying to the wilderness is not hard.  Night or day.  It just takes time to get there.

Player Interaction is the real random.  Sometimes you live. Sometimes you die.  Usually shots are fired.  Who cares though?  It's not really that hard, once you know the game, to recuperate your losses.  Interacting with others is the true jewel of DayZ, imo.  And I'm just not seeing as many people at night.  People don't seem to like it.  When it goes to nighttime on official servers, the population goes down with it. 

Get this; If you want player interaction, then, you have to go to where the players are!"  This means that you have to switch servers when it gets dark out.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should fully experience nighttime.  But when you want friendly (or hostile) interaction with strangers, then choosing a server at night isn't practical at all.  ESPECIALLY if you're new to the title.

23 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

and for the record.... sound would more than easily enough tell u if u are swimming or on solid ground

Yet another person in here that don't follow the conversation and have absolutely no clue of what's being discussed. XD

Edited by daniel0056

If server goes down whenever it gets spicy and player runs for comfort it is big flaw of the game. DayZ is not the only one. For example in racing simulators rain has same effect. Why ? Because people.

Game being free sandbox is awesome, but apparently full freedom doesn't exist, because of our natural seek of comfort we sometimes can miss so much rewarding things... 

The only way to solve the issues would be making server hopping and all other ways of bending the game to be unrewarding in certain ways.

It is aIso very sad to me that in community servers it is possible to have it all day only and all dry only. Game designers must not allow people to have too much control.

On 2018-12-11 at 9:45 AM, daniel0056 said:

A solution I see to this problem is a visual radius. Keep everything beyond 15 meters pitch black, but keep a faint virtual "light source" around the player at all times so the immediate vicinity becomes somewhat illuminated. I'm not talking spotlight brightness, just so the player can tell if they're swimming, free-falling or standing on solid ground.

Edit: Obviously this light source should not be visible to other players, rather just relative to each player.

this is what i was referring to.... and it is your post too.... i always do the reading, and the sound effects for all of these states are different.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:24 AM, daniel0056 said:

My impression of this reply is that you don't play this game, honestly - but ok, I will humor this post to some extent;
Your impression based on a post that included a 3 hour stream from the previous day, is that i don't play the game???  Sounds like a PEBKAC issue to me...

"Carry compass. If you don't have a compass, then just enjoy being lost, stay put until dawn, or play another server for an hour or two..."
So, you're saying that the NPE (new player experience) should be: a) buy the game b) install the game c) setup character d) join server e) sit and wait for 4 hours because of a black screen? (Hint; no, a new player would assume something is broken and switch server or in worst case scenario refund the game instantly)
My first few hours playing DayZ consisted of me totally dying from a relatively short fall, and going "Oh, i see what kind of game this is."  Getting beaten to death by the first few sets of zombies I saw.  Getting KOSed by virtually every person I saw for months.
My first few hours after the gamma fix consisted of me getting utterly lost in the dark, having my flare burn out in the middle of nowhere with no way to make a torch,  and learning to fight zombies by sound.

This game is pretty hard, right?  Not for the faint of heart.  I mean, how realistic is that, that you can't see at night without a light source.

"Are your sound settings not working correctly?" 
How is sound going to help anyone see? I think you totally missed the point of visual indications in a game oriented around survival and pve/pvp.
Sound lets you know what type of texture you are walking on, and if there is no change for say, 15 seconds, I take that as a sign that I may be running into a fence.  I'll admit, it does take some mental effort to play in the dark.  Apparently an amount that some folks are unable or unwilling to contribute towards their own experience.

"Dark and stormy nights are, shall we say, difficult and unaccommodating. Am I missing anything?"
Nope, you got that 100% correct. I suggest you do like me and go camping 3-4 times a year to experience stormy nights for real.
How do you think I learned to navigate by the stars and know to listen to the crunches under my feet to tell where I am. People don't really like hiking with me sometimes, both IRL and in DayZ, because I can tend to just beeline regardless of visibility or terrain.
And yes, I know that a clear night has a bit more ambient light than currently in game.  I think they need to have players eyes adjust to darkness a bit more.  But I still don't find the game unplayable; daunting, perhaps.

"Maybe you need to turn down your brightness to 50% or less."
This made me laugh a little.
If you don't understand why this might help, I am inclined to think that you had not done everything in your power to improve your experience, before coming here and blaming the game and insulting others who HAVE figured out how to play at night.

"And please don't call us trolls just because we have learned to cope with an increased difficulty level in a game"
I'm not calling you a troll, I'm simply stating that a black screen isn't a difficult level or even a game, it's simply a black screen. How are you supposed to be able to re-spawn if you die - without gear - and expect to start all over with a black screen? If your answer to this is "well, switch server or just stop playing for a few hours" then you might just be a troll.
I reckon the answer to that is "with great difficulty and challenge."  It's almost like dying at night is worse than dying in the daytime...  My answer is to cope with it, run until you hear pavement under your feet, and then keep moving until you find houses, grope around in the dark until you find a light source, or the sun comes up.
it takes longer, and is more dangerous.  I take that to be a part of the game, that everything is harder at night, especially without a light.  New players might need to be cognizant of this, and avoid servers at night time until they are good enough at the game to play it normally.

"If anyone is interested, here is the VOD from my session last night. You will notice that it is grainy and a bit lighter than what you might expect; this is because I increase the gamma in OBS to the maximum possible before washout, to make viewing possible"
As Funk so kindly explained, the nights are so dark that streaming a black screen is the default scenario.  So I adjust my broadcast settings so viewers can see better than I can.
Don't accuse me of gamma hacking, it just shows that your reading comprehension is as lacking as your demeanor.

You won't make any friends with that attitude, and nobody will care if you find the game too hard and need to cry about it.  We probably mostly hope you quit, so there will be one less entitled-feeling gobshite running around Chernarus asking to be spoonfed because of failure to GG.

Sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between people who want to improve their experience, and people who just wish to lash out because they are frustrated.  Then I sometimes get a bit snippy after realizing I had mistaken the latter for the former.  Mea Culpa.

Edited by emuthreat
C'mon Emu. Don't be part of the problem.
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

I ended up adjusting my server's settings so 12 hours of in-game time passes during a server cycle (4 hours). It starts off at dawn, with some darkness and the sun starting to rise and when the server is getting close to restart, the sun starts to go down. Ever since the A2 days, I've found that a large percent of the players log off when total night hits.

Edited by BetterDeadThanZed

10 hours ago, daniel0056 said:

What challenge? Are you referring to not being able to see? Sure, I can live with people server-hopping but that takes out all the fun of actually having nighttime.

They don't get it.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

On 12/13/2018 at 7:35 AM, emuthreat said:

You won't make any friends with that attitude, and nobody will care if you find the game too hard and need to cry about it.  We probably mostly hope you quit, so there will be one less entitled-feeling gobshite running around Chernarus asking to be spoonfed because of failure to GG.

Yeah and this sort of attitude does? 

Mods - is this an acceptable reply from a veteran of this forum to swear at/insult another forum member?  This guy was posting his views on an aspect of the game that he didn't enjoy so he gets called a "gobshite", "entitled", etc.

FFS 1.0 is here a new start and how is this sort of crap really going to encourage people to return to the game? 

Some of the fanboys have always had big issues about how other people want to play the game, imposing your views by bullying - always pissed me off about this place. Already leaving a sour taste and I've only been back 5 minutes. 

Darkness is great but flawed at the moment, it isn't exactly realistic.  People who don't like playing it - fair enough, swap servers? Not always a viable option with things like ping. If this was real world with DayZ settings nobody would set out of their bunker, base camp, etc if it was this dark. 

I've enjoyed playing at night got killed, no big deal, it was fun but I'd like the option to enjoy the engine in the daylight as I've got limited time to spend in game for the rest of the weekend and I'm enjoying meeting people again. 

Some Old-timers here should understand it's make or break for the game and being obnoxious and childish isn't helping anyone. 

edit: I've also just watched your twitch and you've obviously manipulated the settings as its way, way lighter than the night I've been playing in, you say you've done it for "broadcast" purposes I guess we'll have to take your world for it. 

Edited by forteantimes23

I realize that this whole thread has sort of gone off the rails, but especially on the most recent versions, night is definitely playable. Light sources provide adequate illumination and finding another flare/lamp/sticks and rags is trivial. I also appreciate that they adjusted it so that you can strike while pointing a flashlight (where as a week ago, you'd have to spot the zombie then put your hands up—which pointed the light away—and blindly swing.)

If you haven't tried it in 1.0, I'd suggest you give night another go. 

1 hour ago, forteantimes23 said:

Mods - is this an acceptable reply from a veteran of this forum to swear at/insult another forum member?  This guy was posting his views on an aspect of the game that he didn't enjoy so he gets called a "gobshite", "entitled", etc.

Of course it isn't. It turns discussions personal and leads to more of the same, namely bickering and name calling. We are not omniscient though, so please, please, please everyone: if you see the topic going in that direction, use the 'report' button instead of responding in kind. Thanks.

I just experienced the nights for some time.  When I have a flare or a torch and am attacked by infected, it is really atmospheric. Though the nights really are too dark. They should be very dark on a cloudy or stormy night, but on clear nights there should be some degree of visibility to be realistic.

Another thing, I wasn't able to light my torch with matches. I had to light a fire first and then light the torch using the fire. Am I missing something or is this not implemented currently?

• Beans 1

10 hours ago, forteantimes23 said:

I've also just watched your twitch and you've obviously manipulated the settings as its way, way lighter than the night I've been playing in, you say you've done it for "broadcast" purposes I guess we'll have to take your world for it. 

^^^THIS^^^

This is why you get attitude from me.  I explain that the changes to how nighttime works were daunting at first, but that with some tweaks to your settings to rule out obvious errors, adaptation and effort, they can be managed.
I provide examples, in video form, and take the time to explain that I put on a filter so my stream and recordings won't be as black as what I can't see while playing.

And. You. Both. Accuse. Me. Of. Cheating....

Let that sink in a bit. I try to help, offer tips, provide video documentation of how it is possible to play at night.  Instead of taking this info, and focusing on what you can change about your own approach to darkness, maybe asking for more clarification,  we get this lovely discussion instead. Thanks.

You know what?  Just add me on steam and we'll work this out in a server sometime. 
Flares give great illumination now, but I prefer not to use them, as that is how I spotted a guy from about 150 meters away last night.  Glowsticks, stars. and compass all the way.  
And for the record, someone who asks to dumb down the game because of their own difficulty to cope is acting a bit entitles IMO.  And a person who openly accuses me of gamma-boost cheating in public is most definitely a gobshite. 

Yeah-yeah. Sorry Max, I'm done now.  There's enough people who are at least willing to try, who are online and in dark servers for now.  I'll direct my efforts where they may be of some use to someone.

You could have at least called them on accusing me of cheating, to be fair...

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Agreed on unplayable night time,  i'm forced to get off. It needs to be challenging and enjoyable, not frustrating and unplayable. Perhaps adding moonlight effect would help or something, night is unplayable.

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

^^^THIS^^^

This is why you get attitude from me.  I explain that the changes to how nighttime works were daunting at first, but that with some tweaks to your settings to rule out obvious errors, adaptation and effort, they can be managed.
I provide examples, in video form, and take the time to explain that I put on a filter so my stream and recordings won't be as black as what I can't see while playing.

And. You. Both. Accuse. Me. Of. Cheating....

Let that sink in a bit. I try to help, offer tips, provide video documentation of how it is possible to play at night.  Instead of taking this info, and focusing on what you can change about your own approach to darkness, maybe asking for more clarification,  we get this lovely discussion instead. Thanks.

You know what?  Just add me on steam and we'll work this out in a server sometime. 
Flares give great illumination now, but I prefer not to use them, as that is how I spotted a guy from about 150 meters away last night.  Glowsticks, stars. and compass all the way.  
And for the record, someone who asks to dumb down the game because of their own difficulty to cope is acting a bit entitles IMO.  And a person who openly accuses me of gamma-boost cheating in public is most definitely a gobshite. 

Yeah-yeah. Sorry Max, I'm done now.  There's enough people who are at least willing to try, who are online and in dark servers for now.  I'll direct my efforts where they may be of some use to someone.

You could have at least called them on accusing me of cheating, to be fair...

No I haven't accused you cheating, where did I use the word "cheat"?  I've never used Twitch so if you say you need to change the settings so other people can see what's going on fair enough. 

Your mention the help you give others. That help comes with a price though doesn't it? All that great advice ruined when you had a meltdown and became petulant and obnoxious. Also despite a mods warning you've just reaffirmed the insult you made towards Daniel. BTW "Gobshite"  also means someone who is contemptible and mean-spirited you know.  Report him if you think he insulted you. Don't respond in kind. 

I'm enjoying night - other people are allowed not to enjoy it and come on here and say so. The entitled few on here don't have a monopoly on how everyone should play the game. There is enough scope to have 24hours sunlight servers if people want to play it. It' up to them. 

Edited by forteantimes23

So moving on are there degrees of darkness? During the nights I've played you can basically make out shapes of trees and buildings but that's about it. But it gets darker than that? 

The night time is not enjoyable as is , it’s challenging , but that’s not all we should be shooting for ... the essence Of immersion doesn’t have to lie In pitch black nights only ; doesn’t anyOne remember the moon lit nights of the mod ? It felt right and you could easily navigate , but on the rainy or thick cloud nights you were immersed in pitch black , a WINWIN for both parties of the arguement . 

I can navigate with no light as long as I have a chem light showing on what turf I’m on - if I lose a road or a texture I’m following I get lost and can’t correlate where I am on a dayz DB map.. so if the moon and stars gave more illumination AND if your eyes slowly got used to the dark and adjusted then the nights would Be perfect .

Too long don’t read —— moon and star lit nights + survivor eyes adjust after being in the dark to see better = win (devs please add) .

Edited by MaxwellHouse69420
  • Beans 2

15 hours ago, Survivor-Kyle said:

I realize that this whole thread has sort of gone off the rails, but especially on the most recent versions, night is definitely playable. Light sources provide adequate illumination and finding another flare/lamp/sticks and rags is trivial. I also appreciate that they adjusted it so that you can strike while pointing a flashlight (where as a week ago, you'd have to spot the zombie then put your hands up—which pointed the light away—and blindly swing.)

If you haven't tried it in 1.0, I'd suggest you give night another go. 

Night is still pitch black for me - nothing has changed with its pitch except for we don’t start with a flashlight (I’m pretty sure we used to ?) ... also there’s these little scratchy white dots everywhere on my screen : brightness is always at 50% (default).

IMO they still have some work to do with the balance of how it looks on different monitors , but like i said above , devs could add an eyes adjusting feature for long times at night without light sources — and also the moon and stars  could add more light on clear skied nights . 

Edited by MaxwellHouse69420

Yeah. I just got off after having to deal with the new night time after having been away from DayZ for an extended period.  It is basically unplayable unless you use a light source, which only makes you a target.

With a FULL MOON and quarter cloud cover, there was no visibility at ground level.  None.   I could see about 3 feet in front of me on an open airfield. 
That's not challenging.  It's enforced artificial restraints that make night time completely untenable. 
I really don't like server hopping, and would prefer to play on a server regularly to build up a base and such.  But night time?  I will never play during night in it's current state. 

Aside from the game balance, it's extremely eye fatiguing and give me a headache in it's current implementation.