Wackamole

Night is a problem.

Ok so first off, i like the idea of immersion, of night time in general.  The whole idea of immersion and the survival aspect.  But honestly, I log off.  I just log off.  I have a flashlight but in truth its not really that big of a help in navigating around.  I liked another players idea of the idea that our eyes do adjust somewhat to darkness after a time.  The thing that bugs me is, most real nights are not so black that u cant see your hands in front of you.  Many nights the moonligt allows you to see.  Not so in dayz. It is so obvious in server numbers that a large majority of other players do as i do and log off until daylight.  Server numbers drop drastically.

Secondly, it feels like the daylight hours are less?  I dont honestly know but it feels like the majority of the time its dark or raining.  I like immersion but i think its a bit overdone to be honest.  I love this game, but the one thing that is keeping me from playing it more is the dark.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Extra dark and rain all the time is a known issue.

1 hour ago, Wackamole said:

It is so obvious in server numbers that a large majority of other players do as i do and log off until daylight. 

So, you log off and stop playing because of night time?  Have you considered switching servers or hive? It really seems like you're missing out.  I'll assume that you're playing official servers? There's a variety of other hives where it will be daylight.  Explore Community servers, both public and private!

1 hour ago, Wackamole said:

Many nights the moonligt allows you to see.  Not so in dayz.

This isn't entirely true.  Earlier stress tests, when the weather was clear and calm at night, you could see the stars and travel by moonlight.  'Back in the day.

It would be great if they could boost lights and nerf rain, at night.  I imagine that since they've just implemented the anti-gamma exploit measure, they've yet to fully tweak the game.  I hope.

Fighting zombies in the dark is also a real treat, huh.  Especially the buggy ones.  If you can survive a gang of zeds, at night, then you are a true no-touch master in the daylight.

Night is a problem, yes.  It's a legitimate reason to server hop, which isn't ideal.

• Beans 3

What is the real need for 100% complete darkness though? I remember a few months ago wandering around at night in 0.63 and seeing the effect of the moonlight hanging in the sky and the lighting up the countryside and forests etc and it was truly an atmospheric and creepy addition to the game, night still made things a bit harder but not frustratingly so.

Now we literally have a blank screen and thats it.

I could see a better option being having the twilight nights like A3 but inside large buildings, heavy wooded areas, bunkers and caves etc being pitch black and being a challenge to enter, loot and exit from safely.

I have been playing on day only community servers and actually miss the day and night cycles, all we need is a balance to be struck with the nights and i think it would make a big difference to things.

• Beans 2

I'm living out on the countryside, far away from city lights and I tell you it gets what one would call "pitch black" out here - still I have yet to experience a night as dark as DayZ. Night time in DayZ really needs a fix, visually you should be able to tell a house from grass, which isn't possible at the moment.

Edited by daniel0056
  • Beans 3

I had a bit of trouble with nights for the first few days after the gamma fix.  Then I finally started carrying a compass, and always making sure I had at least a glowstick or two.

I'll admit that having good spatial memory helps a lot when looting at night, but I still get lost or stuck without a light sometimes.  It really adds to the experience, in my opinion.  Those times when I log out near a military base, only to log back in complete darkness without a light source; well I find that pretty fun.  The trick is that you can use single entry tents or shipping containers as a safe box to retreat into when you get aggro, and then hit the zombies when you see their outline in the doorways and footsteps on the wood or metal texture.  You can see a compass dial at night, but in my experience, you always feel like you have traveled farther than you actually have.

It is not unplayable.  It takes adaptation and planning.  Stop whining and learn to play.  You'll be that much better for ti if and when they adjust night to be more conducive to your visibility.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 1

The difference is that, even in total darkness, you can tell if you've been running against a fence or wall for the last 5 minutes. 

• Beans 1

This is great in my opinion. You can even guide one by the stars. Polaris is there to guide you north. I really only miss a dim red light at the time of seeing the inventory so that you will not be blinded when you return.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Sigh, the gamma exploit has ruined this game for a lot of people.  Guess when you get coddled by exploiting, the real version is no fun.  Learn to play the game the way it was intended and stop complaining

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 4

11 hours ago, aNUCo said:

This is great in my opinion. You can even guide one by the stars. Polaris is there to guide you north. I really only miss a dim red light at the time of seeing the inventory so that you will not be blinded when you return.

Yeah try that on a server with rainy and overcast night time weather...

• Beans 2

12 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Sigh, the gamma exploit has ruined this game for a lot of people.  Guess when you get coddled by exploiting, the real version is no fun.  Learn to play the game the way it was intended and stop complaining

So, you mean that learning a game is equal to turning the screen off and running around? Night time is literally equal to having the screen unplugged or off.

I posted this some time ago, but this is me looking out over at least 50 meters of clearance from the seashore, towards a group of trees. (I know this because I disconnected and reconnected a few hours later). In fact, I'm at a very obvious starting point, so I challenge you to tell me where I'm at in this picture, because orientation is key in survival. I challenge you to tell me if there are any zeds or other players in this picture too.

20181107182950_1.jpg

(That dot is not a star, it's the crosshair)

Edited by daniel0056
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, daniel0056 said:

So, you mean that learning a game is equal to turning the screen off and running around? Night time is literally equal to having the screen unplugged or off.

I posted this some time ago, but this is me looking out over at least 50 meters of clearance from the seashore, towards a group of trees. (I know this because I disconnected and reconnected a few hours later). In fact, I'm at a very obvious starting point, so I challenge you to tell me where I'm at in this picture, because orientation is key in survival. I challenge you to tell me if there are any zeds or other players in this picture too.

20181107182950_1.jpg

(That dot is not a star, it's the crosshair)

Let me guess, you threw your flare away

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Let me guess, you threw your flare away

No it burned out from all the rain, it lasted a good 3-4 minutes... Either way, why does that matter? The night time is way too dark, that's the problem.

Edited by daniel0056
  • Beans 1

32 minutes ago, daniel0056 said:

No it burned out from all the rain, it lasted a good 3-4 minutes... Either way, why does that matter? The night time is way too dark, that's the problem.

i think its fine.perfect would be sunset time 15 minutes and dawn 15 minutes....so half hour pitch black.
but really for immersion,there shoould be some sleep mechanic for that 30 minutes...
maybe sleeping animation and gaining your stamina bonuses and some health bonuses.
if you dont like those bonuses then just log off and come back some time.
but to those who like real immersion...sleeping that 30 minutes to gain stamina bonus and things,would be ideal.
also sunset and dawn would be time to repair clothes,cleaning guns,eating and stuff

• Confused 1

Some nights are rather dark.
Some locations are very dark.
Sometimes light makes darkness even darker.
Sometimes there is no moon.
Sometimes there are clouds.
Sometimes there is rain.
Sometimes it is cold.

And you just logoff because you can.

ALSO YOU ARE BORING

• Confused 1
  • Beans 2

23 hours ago, daniel0056 said:

I'm living out on the countryside, far away from city lights and I tell you it gets what one would call "pitch black" out here - still I have yet to experience a night as dark as DayZ. Night time in DayZ really needs a fix, visually you should be able to tell a house from grass, which isn't possible at the moment.

36 minutes ago, daniel0056 said:

On 12/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, makz said:

What is the real need for 100% complete darkness though?

There is no middleground to be had: it is either full black or gamma "abusable". People were bitching about gamma abuse, now this is what you got.

Even in Rust, when every asset and everything was pithc black, there was some sort of nvidia color tweak allowing for vision, so Bohemia added noise on top.

I think I agree with @IMT it's been hella atmospheric, ya'll need to stop whining. They only need to buff light sources.

• Confused 1
  • Beans 2

However this is a flexible game. If I would, I'd create a server with 2-3hours of day and 1 hour of night. 

I know people would log-off at night though :D  Because they are:

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

I think I agree with @IMT it's been hella atmospheric, ya'll need to stop whining. They only need to buff light sources.

I'm still trying to figure out what atmospheric "feeling" you guys are getting from not seeing at all - but I guess that's just me.

• Beans 1

5 minutes ago, daniel0056 said:

I'm still trying to figure out what atmospheric "feeling" you guys are getting from not seeing at all - but I guess that's just me.

Getting lost is fun.

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

1 minute ago, Buakaw said:

Getting lost is fun.

Agreed, however getting killed by zeds that can see me, but I can't see them is not fun - especially if you can't tell if you're running away from them, or simply colliding with a wall and actually standing still.

Edited by daniel0056
  • Beans 1

lol so many trolls on this website defending the night mode... You literally can't see anything and that's a huge problem.  Like would be nice if you could see a little bit of brightness, so you don't walk into a fence ... but you can't see nothing at all except for fuzzy grains.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

A solution I see to this problem is a visual radius. Keep everything beyond 15 meters pitch black, but keep a faint virtual "light source" around the player at all times so the immediate vicinity becomes somewhat illuminated. I'm not talking spotlight brightness, just so the player can tell if they're swimming, free-falling or standing on solid ground.

Edit: Obviously this light source should not be visible to other players, rather just relative to each player.

Edited by daniel0056
  • Beans 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew Huk said:

lol so many trolls on this website defending the night mode... You literally can't see anything and that's a huge problem.  Like would be nice if you could see a little bit of brightness, so you don't walk into a fence ... but you can't see nothing at all except for fuzzy grains.

lol so many trolls bitching and whining instead of adapting.

Again: There is no middleground to be had: it is either full black or gamma "abusable". People were bitching about gamma abuse, now this is what you got.

• Beans 1

Who care's about gamma use? LMAO these devs are like little girls, trying to put in rules even tho the game itself is still messed up, they will just lose all their players.  Atleast before night mode was playable and everyone didn't leave the server when it gets dark.

Holy hell it's dark in the experimental nights. It really just shouts to abuse control panel settings so you can see at least something. Game requires bit better seeing than in real life because you can't feel in game if you are running against the wall.

I can still abuse gamma, brightness and contrast with Nvidia Control Panel to be able to see something in the night. Currently it's really required in the pitch black night.

Just log-off lol, you know you are playing survival game, and you can survive by doing that :D You can log-off everytime survival begins, so you can "survive" for WEEKS ! :D Great stuff :D

• Haha 2