SurSlaughter

Day/Night Cycle

So now that the crybabies have their day time back, can we find a happy medium for the day/night cycle please. Just had about 5 mins of night then back to day again. Not fun. I get it that most people want day time but 5 mins of dark is just dumb. Might as well not have night at all. When night was first announced, it was pushed to us that is was gonna be DARK!!!!! And it was. But because it was dark for a week straight, people cried and now all we get is a few mins..... Give us at least an hour. People are gonna leave and find a server that has day when it happens. But who cares. The hardcore guys are who should count to you devs. Give me some damn darkness please.

• Like 3
  • Beans 1

Game should be real time in my opinion. Just like the mod. You pick a server then that relates to your own timezone so that you play for the exact conditions you want. Servers used to say GMT+2 for example. You'd know what time it'd be ingame and could plan night raids.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SurSlaughter said:

So now that the crybabies have their day time back, can we find a happy medium for the day/night cycle please. Just had about 5 mins of night then back to day again. Not fun. I get it that most people want day time but 5 mins of dark is just dumb. Might as well not have night at all. When night was first announced, it was pushed to us that is was gonna be DARK!!!!! And it was. But because it was dark for a week straight, people cried and now all we get is a few mins..... Give us at least an hour. People are gonna leave and find a server that has day when it happens. But who cares. The hardcore guys are who should count to you devs. Give me some damn darkness please.

I agree fully as I prefer night over day, but I hope they revert the level of darkness to how it was when they first unleashed it. I totally get a moonless night being very dark, but even with moonlit nights lately, it's been overtly dark / grainy... 

3 hours ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

Game should be real time in my opinion.

PC : For a while here (in France) .. all the low-ping region SA severs were locked to REAL time.. So during the real-life day it was LIGHT, and through the real-life night it was DARK.
And that was just incredibly dumb because - except for 2 days at weekends -  everyone came home from school or from work and played DayZ all the time, every time, in the DARK.

Wow, I got sooooo BORED coming home at the end of the working day and logging in to SUNSETS...  <duh> Like is this <My Second Life> or something ?? Sure you get some great Sunsets in DayZ but no survivor spends his whole active day in Twilight and Darkness.. ..   Seriously? 

So if I wanted to play for long in daylight I had to log abroad and look for alternative time zones  = with REALLY heavy pings, dude!  = or just wait for the weekend?  Or log into the one or two TOTALLY FULL public German ultra PVP maniac-kid servers with non-stop daylight ?  

So that was a Bind. OK?

It would be good to have day and night on official servers (for Xbox that's all of you, right now)  ..  BUT if the clock was set to - say - an 17 hour clock cycle or a 9 hour clock cycle (instead of 24) , then if you logged in at the same real-time every day, it would be a DIFFERENT time in DayZ, every day of the week.. So if you hated night and you logged in at nightfall, you could maybe go play on some other server?

The only problem WAS (and still is, on PC),  that the Server Providers were setting up the instances, and THEY just plugged the official (public) instances into the real-time server clock, because no one told them to do otherwise and  they wouldn't lift a finger to do it anyway. So this altered cycle has to be built into the SA binaries by BI - e.g. at startup the game picks a random hour and then run a 17 hour cycle from that. (just an example) And server owners can override that if they want to (at least on PC, maybe one day on Xbox)
The SP technicians (if they even got any)  sure as sheet wont help setting times-of-day on servers.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1
  • Beans 3

On 12/7/2018 at 3:37 PM, pilgrim* said:

It should be real time 24 hours in 24 hours, but you can choose to have -8 GMT like it used to be. That's what I was saying. Thx
So it wouldn't be night while it was night for you, that wouldn't work because of the obvious reason you thought you needed to enlighten us with.
You find the balance, -4 GMT or -8 or -2 whatever. I used to run vanilla hive servers in the mod and that's how it worked and they were all great. 

ps, Richard - I didn't say "Game should be real time in my opinion - YOU said it..  (just mentioning)

On 12/7/2018 at 4:37 PM, pilgrim* said:

Wow, I got sooooo BORED coming home at the end of the working day and logging in to SUNSETS...  <duh> Like is this <My Second Life> or something

3 hours ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

xxP

Ive suggested real time servers that are regional. Just like the mod. Thats how it always was and how it should be.

Real time is not the way to go IMO...

I think 6 hour servers, with day/night on a sliding scale based on "season"... ie: 60/40% for spring, 70/30% for summer, 60/40% for fall, 50/50% for winter...

I had a nice stroll from vmc to zelene in the dark, its visibile but not long enough, I'd happily have an hour or so of night now the grains gone