NachoNinjaGnome

Persistence Workaround

Now, I know that, like me, many players out there have had the unfortunate luck to find a tent, barrel, chest (likely multiple) and stashed them somewhere to start collecting loot, only to have them despawn on server restart.  And I know it's an issue the dev team is working on, but probably won't see it fixed for some time.  Until that time, here's some advice to keep your base persisting like it's supposed to.

1)  Establish your base in the wilderness, away from loot spawns and the piles of loot from players loot cycling (farming).

2)  Don't drop anything on the ground near your base.

That's it.  You're welcome.  Every time I've had a base despawn on me, it was after doing some spring cleaning.  Usually due to dropping some less important loot to make room for items with greater value or aesthetic appeal.  Now, others have informed me of their bases persisting while everyone else has endured repeated frustration due to their bases despawning.  These players have come to the realization that the persistence bug is avoidable due to the fact that they did not build near loot spawns and venture far away from base to "take out the trash".

• Like 1

+1 on this. I dropped useless items on the ground and everytime I did this, my tents and barrels disappeared. And my other camp survived for 1,5 week because it was clean and no items were there. But of course I didnt want to write this to foums because it seemed unsuspicious to me at that time.

But the bases and placed wire mesh walls still disappear whether there are items on the ground or not.

Edited by BAHADIR

well, i guess that might be coincidence.

i've had tents staying for days, even when i had dropped paper from ammo boxes to the ground, and tents disappearing with no items nearby.

I don’t think that’s the cause every time . I’ve done nothing of the sort like you described and have had multiple base building objects and materials disappear on me . Tents ? Yes . Barrels ? Sure . Vehicles ? After one bump they were gone (haven’t found another in days).

Persistence is wacky in the code , and it runs deeper than “spring cleaning” but thanks for the workaround regardless .

My server is doing a backup every 3:rd min. When a crash/restart occurs it check whatever it was in a middle of a backup. If it was it scraps that backup and takes the one earlier.

If you going to do this you need to check the amount of files you copy (which are 16) if you copy the entire storage_1 folder, cause pretty often files are locked due write from server and the result is that you only copy 3-4 of them.

When my server restart it ALWAYS copies back a set of backup files , meaning it is actually in-game database when server was running. So far I had Zip problems with persistence. Only drawback is that people lost 1-3 min of progress due restart or crashes but everything stays.

The reason I think is that when server writes and lock the files and server crash that file becomes corrupt and a new one is created.

Edited by Relic77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Relic77 said:

The reason I think is that when server writes and lock the files and server crash that file becomes corrupt and a new one is created.

This will also be one of the main reasons to fix the server crashes. What the devs said with: to get a stable base of the game.

What a crash has consequences, would be wrong to fix the consequences, but to fix the cause of the crash.

Sometimes it's hard to understand.

I will post my fix here that is free for everyone to use. It is important all steps are followed.

EDIT : I changed the link to Majorgeeks since it seems the link i README to the Bat To Exe converters page contained authedmine.com . Meaning when you download it will use you CPU for bitcoin mining as longest you stay on the page.

http://www.filedropper.com/persistencefix_3

Edited by Relic77
Updating the file and Links in README

On 03/12/2018 at 3:21 PM, Sqeezorz said:

This will also be one of the main reasons to fix the server crashes. What the devs said with: to get a stable base of the game.

What a crash has consequences, would be wrong to fix the consequences, but to fix the cause of the crash.

Sometimes it's hard to understand.

I think the only way for them to fix the persistence bug is to have the server to make two sets of Databases files. If server was closed unexpectedly it should go after next start for the copy Database that was made 1 min earlier. Pretty much what I am doing. Except I get crap load of Backups which I delete from time to time. Then it is up to each server owner to make frequently backups in case of other failure.

Edited by Relic77

46 minutes ago, Relic77 said:

I think the only way for them to fix the persistence bug is to have the server to make two sets of Databases files. If server was closed unexpectedly it should go after next start for the copy Database that was made 1 min earlier. Pretty much what I am doing. Except I get crap load of Backups which I delete from time to time. Then it is up to each server owner to make frequently backups in case of other failure.

Or store persistence in the already existing SQLite database instead of flat file binaries with no protection.   But that would make non-DayZ sense.   

• Like 1