PEACE_543

You were kicked off the game. (Database connection timeout)

1 minute ago, TheYetiBum said:

On a separate not my good sirs , are any of you subscribed to the bug report tracker? I am and my email is blowing up lmao, it makes for good reading. I'd advise following it so you get copies of all bug reports, just be aware that your email account might melt ;'D

Yup

Dude imma mine all the salt from the bug reports concerning the server crash and open Yetis Salt sales LTD. buy shares and stocks now, were gonna blow up (like a BI server) ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, GodMynxXBL said:

What a symbolic picture to use for this briefing eh...

Just looking down at us.. dyin'...

Deciding whether to loot our socks or give CPR.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Suspect_Usually said:

What a symbolic picture to use for this briefing eh...

Just looking down at us.. dyin'...

Deciding whether to loot our socks or give CPR.

Again, this post is not related to the issues in this thread.

21 minutes ago, Itz jay arr said:

So on a scale of one to get fucked how likely does everyone think we'll get back to the grind?:p

Ummmm Monday lmfaoooo. and HOPEFULLY they dont do a full reset....meaning WIPE lmfao

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

OK  ..  Dean Hall is NOT with BI, he left BI quite a while ago,  and Dean Hall is NOT developing DayZ Standalone and BI HAVE the rights to DZ SA  ( Dean Hall does NOT). DayZ SA is developed 100% by BI's full-time staff. BI have about 300 staff now (mainly technical) across 5 studios. BI are the biggest Indy game Developer on the planet (right now) and they also Produce their own games.

if thats the case , why are we facing these issues ? just asking ?

4 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

Microsoft isn't running the servers FYI, BI has already stated that we were given separate servers from PC a few weeks back

This is interesting - if you are into development, background, company dynamics, Indies, or games -

Because BI has never (NEVER) run it's own servers for it's own games up UNTIL NOW .. correct me if I'm wrong.
(just one or two for testing, that's all)

So = Totally new development here.K

DayZ on PC was a "franchise" given out to a small SELECTED group of Server Providers specializing in games  (in fact they are server sub-letters, but leave that aside). The deal was that these SPs had the right to sell DayZ instances to punters, keys in hand, on condition that they put up a number of DayZ instances at their own cost, on the basis of  1 "free public" server for every "x" servers they hired out.

OK? The DayZ instances  hired out to the paying gamers by the agreed SPs could either be "private shard" or they could be public hive (your choice.. private shard is slightly more expensive). The Hive is run by BI, but the servers were never run by BI.

Problems that came up were :

- many complaints about actions in DayZ games (bad admins, etc) were directed to BI,  but BI had NO presence on those servers, does not own them or run them, could not intervene in them directly, and gameplay complaints (sometimes there were plenty)  had to go to the SPs.  But SPs are mainly very small organizations (some have just 3 staff, seriously) and they REALLY do NOT get involved with what happens on ONE server instance when they are running (automatically) about 150 games, each with 100 or 500 instances. Some SPs have ONE technician, ya know?  He's not going to oversee what happens in 15000+ games worldwide. He deals mainly with hiring space and auto-installing DayZ and 100 other name games and making sure the company banking software is up to date.

- the SPs had an obligation to provide "open" servers for each set of x servers they had hired out. However, they were (when it suited them) using ANY spare server instances that happened to be around.. Like, if the SP opens (hires) server space in Australia and loads 5 examples of DayZ in there,  they maybe hire out 3 this week, so the 2 spare  the SP can count as "open" servers to keep the agreement with BI. - BUT then that SP hires out another DayZ inst. in Australia.. so there's only one "open public" server there, but it doesn't matter (to the SP)  because someone stopped hiring a server instance from them in England.. so they leave THAT running empty, and they still have the same NUMBER of open servers and their agreement with BI still holds. 
It's just a BIG pisser for players in Australia who find their fave open server has just vanished.. if they go to the same address it's now private, or a clan server, or gone, so they cant play there anymore, suddenly.  And when persistence got started, this became a <<bad>> situation. Not just your stuff, sometimes the whole public server vanished.  Plenty of complaints, to SPs, who didn't care (just about) and hadn't got the infrastructure even to try to care, and plenty complaints to BI, who had already signed the deal with the SPs and had no direct say, and no access to the game instances any more than anyone else.  

OK.. so, ya know.. there was a lot of discussion and some emotions (and stuff behind the scenes) .. it's all in this blog if you look.. you can see how it worked out (.. IF you look).

BUT now we start a new chapter.. Maybe because of the agreement with MEGASOFT  or maybe partly because of the experience with SPs (as above) or maybe because they have GROWN in size a lot  ?? .. NOW "we hear" BI is running it's own  DayZ server instances (hired, obviously)  WORLDWIDE - loading up  100s of DayZ instances for Xbox players at it's own expense? ... (interesting?)  That must be QUITE a few servers around the planet.
Is this temporary (expensive ..  but temporary) - or is BI moving into Game Server Provider Territory to become it's own SP?  I really don't think they've ever been there before.

If you ARE interested you can track back the addresses of the DZ Xbox games and see what server centers are subletting space, and maybe crosscheck to see who else has gaming space in nearby blocks .. ya know, do all that stuff.. and find out if BI is hiring direct from server centers, or is hiring from an existing SP..  (eg, Microsoft have server centers too, ya know)..

But now you see the shape of it, I'll leave that to someone with a keener interest than me, right now. I have other more fascinating stuff to do. How an Indy develops and the moves they make, are just a hobby. But, what is REALLY happening with BI-Xbox looks KEY for future BI plans & development  - to me -..  just me IMO

on the other hand  - the YetiBum knows already, he says..

xxP

Enjoy

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1

Just got on first try, don't know if I'm just lucky or not though...

The servers will were displaying mostly 0/60 with a few 1's, 2's and no higher than 3...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anyeurysm said:

Just got on first try, don't know if I'm just lucky or not though...

The servers will were displaying mostly 0/60 with a few 1's, 2's and no higher than 3...

They're back up 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

This is interesting - if you are into development, background, company dynamics, Indies, or games -

Because BI has never (NEVER) run it's own servers for it's own games up UNTIL NOW .. correct me if I'm wrong.
(just one or two for testing, that's all)

So = Totally new development here.K

DayZ on PC was a "franchise" given out to a small SELECTED group of Server Providers specializing in games  (in fact they are server sub-letters, but leave that aside). The deal was that these SPs had the right to sell DayZ instances to punters, keys in hand, on condition that they put up a number of DayZ instances at their own cost, on the basis of  1 "free public" server for every "x" servers they hired out.

OK? The DayZ instances  hired out to the paying gamers by the agreed SPs could either be "private shard" or they could be public hive (your choice.. private shard is slightly more expensive). The Hive is run by BI, but the servers were never run by BI.

Problems that came up were :

- many complaints about actions in DayZ games (bad admins, etc) were directed to BI,  but BI had NO presence on those servers, does not own them or run them, could not intervene in them directly, and gameplay complaints (sometimes there were plenty)  had to go to the SPs.  But SPs are mainly very small organizations (some have just 3 staff, seriously) and they REALLY do NOT get involved with what happens on ONE server instance when they are running (automatically) about 150 games, each with 100 or 500 instances. Some SPs have ONE technician, ya know?  He's not going to oversee what happens in 15000+ games worldwide. He deals mainly with hiring space and auto-installing DayZ and 100 other name games and making sure the company banking software is up to date.

- the SPs had an obligation to provide "open" servers for each set of x servers they had hired out. However, they were (when it suited them) using ANY spare server instances that happened to be around.. Like, if the SP opens (hires) server space in Australia and loads 5 examples of DayZ in there,  they maybe hire out 3 this week, so the 2 spare  the SP can count as "open" servers to keep the agreement with BI. - BUT then that SP hires out another DayZ inst. in Australia.. so there's only one "open public" server there, but it doesn't matter (to the SP)  because someone stopped hiring a server instance from them in England.. so they leave THAT running empty, and they still have the same NUMBER of open servers and their agreement with BI still holds. 
It's just a BIG pisser for players in Australia who find their fave open server has just vanished.. if they go to the same address it's now private, or a clan server, or gone, so they cant play there anymore, suddenly.  And when persistence got started, this became a <<bad>> situation. Not just your stuff, sometimes the whole public server vanished.  Plenty of complaints, to SPs, who didn't care (just about) and hadn't got the infrastructure even to try to care, and plenty complaints to BI, who had already signed the deal with the SPs and had no direct say, and no access to the game instances any more than anyone else.  

OK.. so, ya know.. there was a lot of discussion and some emotions (and stuff behind the scenes) .. it's all in this blog if you look.. you can see how it worked out (.. IF you look).

BUT now we start a new chapter.. Maybe because of the agreement with MEGASOFT  or maybe partly because of the experience with SPs (as above) or maybe because they have GROWN in size a lot  ?? .. NOW "we hear" BI is running it's own  DayZ server instances (hired, obviously)  WORLDWIDE - loading up  100s of DayZ instances for Xbox players at it's own expense? ... (interesting?)  That must be QUITE a few servers around the planet.
Is this temporary (expensive ..  but temporary) - or is BI moving into Game Server Provider Territory to become it's own SP?  I really don't think they've ever been there before.

If you ARE interested you can track back the addresses of the DZ Xbox games and see what server centers are subletting space, and maybe crosscheck to see who else has gaming space in nearby blocks .. ya know, do all that stuff.. and find out if BI is hiring direct from server centers, or is hiring from an existing SP..  (eg, Microsoft have server centers too, ya know)..

But now you see the shape of it, I'll leave that to someone with a keener interest than me, right now. I have other more fascinating stuff to do. How an Indy develops and the moves they make, are just a hobby. But, what is REALLY happening with BI-Xbox looks KEY for future BI plans & development  - to me -..  just me IMO

on the other hand  - the YetiBum knows already, he says..

xxP

Enjoy

Basically there 3rd party servers but with direct server synchronisation by BI, this is usually nowadays handled with remote access. You hire the server space but the software running is your responsibility and only hardware issues are the third party companies responsibility. That way mass server settings can be pushed out at will with remote access by the company offering the games service and any issues that arise can be dealt with remotely. But yes now BI are selling there product across multiple games networks and games sales sites , steam , Microsoft marketplace and soon PSN there approach to customer service etc has had to improve, steam is far less hands on with that side As there just a separate sister company to valve & any complaints are just redirected to BI. But Microsoft & PSN Are not only games sellers there games as a service providers so hold a lot more stake in customer perception and after sales customer service as there reliant on positive customer returns, there seen as partially culpable for any unseemly company practises, faults , bugs etc with games studios and games that there in bed with. That's why it amused me that some people though with it being the weekend that BI wouldn't jump on the issue ofservers crashing out.

There not stupid, it's the run up to 1.0 release on PC & that in turn will lead to a full release on xbox & then a release on PSN network, this is the final stages of release across all networks so being seen to be proactive, professional & customer focused is the name of the game & you don't want Microsoft rep ringing you at 5am breathing down your neck because there getting stick from there xbox live gold subscribers because there favourite games not working that they just paid for.

that's what they've done, a problem arose & it got fixed ASAP. The fact that they didn't officially post anything about it for 9hours was probably a smart play as the last thing you want to do is give thousands of players false hope before you fully know what a problem is and how to fix it.

I'll give BI there due, there stepping upto the plate and  dealing with the issues & be already seen there communication improve over the last few months, they stand to make an absolute killing across all marketplaces with the right mix of development & customer focused feedback & support. They inadvertently created a game for service product before they even existed really lol, once the games 1.0 on console they could make a further killing selling private servers space on subscription & I'm sure internally they must be thinking of creating a console mod launcher to but that's most likely very far away if coming at all.

4 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

Basically there 3rd party servers

So Xbox server instances are ALL hired by private individuals from SPs ?  .. no exceptions? ..  But the player who hires a DayZ Xbox instance isn't allowed to run a  "private shard',  he can only hire an Xbox DayZ to run on the public hive, open to any Xbox player ? ..  There are no "public"  (non player-hired)  Xbox servers, every single Xbox DayZ game online is there because a private individual has paid for it ?

you sure about that ? - I'll take your word for it if you tell me it's so..  (I ain't checked)

but it's damned weird

For myself - I don't think Xbox players can hire DayZ servers  .. [ ..interrogates Yoda, asks the AI..  ] .. OK, now I checked - I don't see any sign of that being an option anywhere ?
(PC players can, Xbox players can't)

So the question is still there - WHO is paying for those Xbox DayZ instances all you Xbox players are logging in to all around the world..  SOMEONE sure has to be hiring (wow!) ALL that server space !!    How many Xbox servers are available at the moment, worldwide ?

sounds like some investment focus for some reason ?

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
~ gameservers 101
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

So Xbox server instances are ALL hired by private individuals from SPs ?  .. no exceptions? ..  But the player who hires a DayZ Xbox instance isn't allowed to run a  "private shard',  he can only hire an Xbox DayZ to run on the public hive, open to any Xbox player ? ..  There are no "public"  (non player-hired)  Xbox servers, every single Xbox DayZ game online is there because a private individual has paid for it ?

you sure about that ? - I'll take your word for it if you tell me it's so..  (I ain't checked)

but it's damned weird

For myself - I don't think Xbox players can hire DayZ servers  ....[ asks Yoda and the AI ]....  OK, now I checked - I don't see any sign of that being an option anywhere ?
(PC players can, Xbox players can't)

So the question is still there - WHO is paying for those Xbox DayZ instances all you Xbox players are logging in to all around the world..  SOMEONE sure has to be hiring (wow!) ALL that server space !!    How many Xbox servers are available at the moment, worldwide ?

sounds like some investment focus for some reason ?

xxp

That isn't what I said at all, I said third party company runs the server farm me but there hired/rented by BI. BI isn't going to build server stacks in rented offices around the world, much more inexpensive to rent them. But they'll have total control of said servers for software/setting updates via a remote access programme. 

Servers have just died again so guess somebodies gonna have there weekend cut short  again at BI , feels bad . Hope there getting a good overtime callout rate.

• Like 1

Ahh good news, there just fiddling with the servers for approx 20mins to sort out a database issue the it'll all be back up and running :)

• Thanks 1

I didn't even get an error code. I either crash or the server list is empty.
The servers are committing suicide. They cant take the rain.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

OK  ..  Dean Hall is NOT with BI, he left BI quite a while ago,  and Dean Hall is NOT developing DayZ Standalone and BI HAVE the rights to DZ SA  ( Dean Hall does NOT). DayZ SA is developed 100% by BI's full-time staff. BI have about 300 staff now (mainly technical) across 5 studios. BI are the biggest Indy game Developer on the planet (right now) and they also Produce their own games.

Until he is not listed on the top of the list as creator, he did and always will have a hand in this bs. Its his baby. And The team on dayz is nowhere near the caliber team ARMA 3 dev team is. Put them on task and we will have our game in no time. But instead we have a team of misfits who couldn't make the cut on a real game dev team.

12 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

That isn't what I said at all, I said third party company runs the server farm me but there hired/rented by BI.

So you ARE saying that BI  ITSELF hires and pays for ALL the server space to load ALL the instances of DayZ for Xbox. 
That's a BIG change of policy from DayZ on PC, where BI hired NONE of the server space to run DayZ for PC.

is that easy to understand ?

- that's a hell of a lot of instances of DayZ for Xbox - can you estimate how many BI are running AT their OWN EXPENSE right now, worldwide?

- they ain't EVER done that before.

OK, now I said it all twice - if you're interested, try to keep up.

Frankly I'm not THAT interested myself - I think the focus is obvious, the indications are scattered around the blog and between the lines of the Dev notes. You only have to look, AND understand that kind of stuff.  BI has changed considerably in 5 years, in scope, style and direction. I guess they have serious forward planning, right? - like any company?

How many Xbox DayZ game-instances are BI running at their own expense, worldwide?

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~ gumeshoe 101