Sign in to follow this  
Zooooma

Stun locked with melee weapon

This is my fist time playing Dayz beta but I have played the experimental branch up to this point. I got a spawn in Cherno and was lucky enough to get a M4 with a mag and 10 bullets. I was pretty geared with two pistols with each their own mags with 6 bullets for each of them and good backpack etc. I was running through the northern part of Cherno by the residential houses and I ran into two players with no gear all they had was a hatchet and one had an axe. They where third-person peeking over the fences and attacked me once I ran past. I got hit once and couldn't even run away to get distance from them or shoot back , I was stunned locked and died with no counter play. Why is this even in the game how can a bambi with a hatchet stun lock you and kill you when you have the best gun in the game actually ridiculous.

• Beans 2

It used to be that you can knock a palyer unconscious with a single well aimed punch to the face, or kill them with a single axe swing to the face. I loved it.

They really need to make it like before where you can move while swinging and adjust for deadly "headshots" again, then it would be good.

Getting stuck in a swinging animation or stunlocked is not fun indeed.

Edited by Buakaw
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

Did you manage to shoot at him at all @Zooooma? Stunlock is kind of a real thing, and I think that's where the devs intended to make use of the melee block feature for you to prevent it happening in the first place. However, you can't do it if you're carrying a rifle. Also, if the characters are getting stunned while being hit by bats, hatchets and whatnot, I think they can be stunned when being shot too. 

I also don't like completely taking away movement freedom while swinging.

• Beans 1

stunning is outright broken right now, if people know how to stunlock, you are basically dead if they get into melee range and you have equipped a gun

On 12/1/2018 at 3:57 PM, cirkular said:

I think that's where the devs intended to make use of the melee block feature for you to prevent it happening in the first place. However, you can't do it if you're carrying a rifle.

This is kind of crazy - a rifle is a great melee weapon (even without a bayonet) and always has been IRL. You should be able to block, poke and swing with any rifle. It's a boot camp thing.
Carrying a rifle in melee should def NOT put you at a serious disadvantage.

I understand the problem of the "one-option" mechanics, same keys for :  aim rifle/shoot - OR - raise axe/strike - ...   but STILL, ya know ? 

If you were going up against a guy with a splitting axe, a length of pipe or a pitchfork, would you feel OK if you had a Mosin in your hands, for instance?
Better than a stick, right ?

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

16 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

This is kind of crazy - a rifle is a great melee weapon (even without a bayonet) and always has been IRL. You should be able to block, poke and swing with any rifle. It's a boot camp thing.
Carrying a rifle in melee should def NOT put you at a serious disadvantage.

I understand the problem of the "one-option" mechanics, same keys for :  aim rifle/shoot - OR - raise axe/strike - ...   but STILL, ya know ? 

If you were going up against a guy with a splitting axe, a length of pipe or a pitchfork, would you feel OK if you had a Mosin in your hands, for instance?
Better than a stick, right ?

i think there is a pretty obvious solution to this, like in Hunt: Showdown, you should be able to melee attack with your gun

right now, holding a gun in your hands and pressing LMB does nothing, why not make this do a buttstock punch or shove?

make R block, and only cycle when aiming the gun, or give us back more dedicated buttons

why have a function in the game to distinguish between a long button hold and a simple press when you don't use this for melee attacks being heavy/light?

i highly suggest the DayZ devs looking at the control scheme of Hunt: Showdown, since it has a lot with DayZ in common gameplay wise, even if on a smaller scale

the current control scheme leaves a lot of possible actions unmapped, or actions impossible

Edited by ZomboWTF
  • Beans 2

3 hours ago, ZomboWTF said:

you should be able to melee attack with your gun

Just a simple toggle key between "firearm-shoot" and "firearm-melee" - would do good for starters.

Not just for rifles - you can hit someone HARD in the head swinging with your  .357 Magnum or a 1911, no problem.  That has to be near as useful as a hammer ? ( & you can definitely kill a chicken & beat on wolves with an empty handgun or rifle, heh)

SERIOUSLY - IRL - if you had to tool up for an all-in bar-room fight or a nasty street brawl, which would you choose:

- fire extinguisher
- hockey stick
- firefighter axe
- stone knife
- medieval mace
- AK 74

.. hmm ??
(difficult choice? .. and for extra fun, do I get a bayonet with that?)

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

Is it still an issue ? I find the game pointless to play because of that.

It is so incredibly bad and wrong... did the stun mechanics just got bugged, or they just didn't implement probability factor ? It should be a miracle to make three stuns in a row.

@Buakaw agreed, melee used to be quite fun, it used to be quite chaotic but very dynamic, I also remember the moments when K.O. or  kill happened with single swing or punch, it wasn't too often, but always so surprising and fun.

Surprises, unexpected things might as well be best words to describe dayZ. Without that DayZ is pointles. 

• Beans 2

52 minutes ago, cirkular said:

Don't forgot the chair! :D

which keys do the head-butt and knee-in-groin combo ?   :D

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ZomboWTF said:

i think there is a pretty obvious solution to this, like in Hunt: Showdown, you should be able to melee attack with your gun

right now, holding a gun in your hands and pressing LMB does nothing, why not make this do a buttstock punch or shove?

make R block, and only cycle when aiming the gun, or give us back more dedicated buttons

why have a function in the game to distinguish between a long button hold and a simple press when you don't use this for melee attacks being heavy/light?

i highly suggest the DayZ devs looking at the control scheme of Hunt: Showdown, since it has a lot with DayZ in common gameplay wise, even if on a smaller scale

the current control scheme leaves a lot of possible actions unmapped, or actions impossible

Not to mention Borderlands pulled it off in all three games. Amazing

• Beans 2

@Smokeemcpot_ Loved the Borderlands series, especially the first one, I guess that's normal haha

So, we don't have that buttstock melee action when holding a rifle or a pistol, what about kicks? Why should I be limited to fists only like in a box match? Dayz world is virtually unlimited in unforgiveness and unfairness, so why should I be? There's more than a couple of these features missing in the unarmed combat alone, but they're either completely forgotten or tough to implement so far.

They should just take it out of the game. I like that they "re-did" the melee system adding new animations and features but going into a animation after every time you get hit is broken. I don't know how this made it to beta this makes the game so bad to play right now because no-matter what gear you have you can die to a bambi with a hatchet if he gets one hit on you. 

• Beans 2