ImpulZ

Experimental Update 0.63.149597

Backing up what Weyland and the others are saying.

On our (Community) server, base building was like a light switch coming on. Players came out of the woodwork, literally. We selected a spot in Gorka, and began building Fort Gorka, complete with trading post, space for cars, barrels, places for people to safely meet and trade and interact. At one point, 8 to 10 players were present at one time, all bringing supplies, helping build, and literally crafting a survivor community, the end game for DayZ.

And then this persistence bug happened, and absolutely torched it. The hard work disappeared. Then the players disappeared. Some people stayed and rebuilt, some not knowing about the bug, only to see their hard work deleted a second time. The number of players tanked downwards. Frustration and anger over the issue spilled over into the players' interactions with each other. People accused each other of wrecking their bases, stealing their barrels, some again not knowing about the bug.

It's the #1 thing currently inhibiting our DayZ playerbase.  It is the one thing I check Reddit DayZ about every day.  Is the base building/barrel/tent persistence bug fixed?

Until it is, no other thing or fix really matters as much.  It doesn't matter how many guns or pieces of gear are fixed or added, or how many cool player interactions are created. Until people have somewhere to store and trade those cool guns and gear, and places to gather and interact, they don't matter.

Please, fix this, and let us help you fix it, as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am also down to test all that is needed.  Part of the Dayz Colony now, and good group of folks there.  The tents vanishing and bases going away is the number one issue right now, and people are leaving in droves.  You can't have the economy needed via traders without proper storage of goods.  Without the player economy, Dayz becomes death match.  The economy is number one, making storage number one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't even bother bringing this to stable branch until you fix melee. Actually, if you could revert back to the previous build where melee actually worked until you can sort things out that would be awesome, because the game is borderline unplayable now. It's nearly impossible to fight even a single zombie without getting hit, and heavy swings are so loud that if you are ever caught out in a military area with zombies around you are going to announce your presence to everyone in the area. It's crap. Fix it. Don't release stable builds that break the game. Honestly, it shouldn't even need to be said. Melee is in an unacceptable state, which is a tragedy because the new melee combat adds a lot to the game, way more than the little features you have been adjusting with your recent experimental builds. I am not saying I don't like the new additions, I do, but some things are more important guys. Broken melee is unacceptable. I'm sitting the beta out until it's fixed. 

Edited by Solopopo

Good patch, but misses some important fixes. Any chance that we still might get a hotfix for the melee bug and persistence issue before the weekend? 

Temperature effects on hunger and thirst...meaning what?

15 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

FIXED

• Fixed: Client/server crashes
  • Fixed: Time persistence after server restart
  •  

I'm using

serverTime="2018/07/07/11/00";         
serverTimeAcceleration=1;
serverTimePersistent=0;

and after a restart it's darkest night. Have tried with serverTimePersistent=1 and 0 - doesn't matter.

Seems like base elements are "protected" backwards now?

You can tear them down from the outside but not the inside?

Are there really only 4 planned patches left before 1.0? (1 patch per week until Dec 31.) Wow.

Not to belittle anyone's anguish here but.... Personally, I think all the panic about leaving player population is a little overblown.

Obviously people are leaving because of the bug, but many will return as well.

People turn into "Chicken Little" whenever there is a bug that reduces population, and they just as soon forget it once it's fixed.

• Beans 1

23 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Seems like base elements are "protected" backwards now?

You can tear them down from the outside but not the inside?

You should be able to dismantle them from the inside and destroy them from the outside (when you have the right tools).

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Stinkenator said:

I'm using

serverTimePersistent=0;

and after a restart it's darkest night. Have tried with serverTimePersistent=1 and 0 - doesn't matter.

You do know that this patch is only on Experimental right? You cant have it on you own Stable server yet. 

Only way to fix this now on stable is to set acceleration to 24. stop the server when its light again. Then put it back to your old setting and start the server.

21 minutes ago, SpudNL said:

You do know that this patch is only on Experimental right? You cant have it on you own Stable server yet. 

Only way to fix this now on stable is to set acceleration to 24. stop the server when its light again. Then put it back to your old setting and start the server.

I've not had the 'always night' problem on my server. My settings are as follows:

serverTime="2018/06/21/04/00";   
serverTimeAcceleration=4;  
serverTimePersistent=0; 

Server restarts every 4 hours

This gives you the longest day of the year in Chernarus time (based on Moscow) - day starts just as the sun is rising and as the server restarts it's almost dark, but not pitch black. All works fine for us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

This issue for us isn't just crashes, but equally for native server restarts, as well as shutdowns. AFAIK, there are only 2 people working the bug tracker and it looks like Geez might be alone right now. I'm sure that's slowing things up a bit.

Someone in my project said that there is a bug that affects SQL Server 2008 R2, VMware Vsphere 5.0 and up that causes a drastic over saturation of the CPU through the sqlserver.exe process causing major performance issues in the server.

Can you please ask the person about more details on the issue and to report it with all known details to our Feedback Tracker in case he didn't do that already?

• Beans 1

Hello! Can we be able to turn off certain post-processing effects (for example, the annoying "noise" effect)? @ImpulZ

P.S. - this effect significantly ruins my experience in the dark.

4 minutes ago, LuckyHunter48 said:

Hello! Can we be able to turn off certain post-processing effects (for example, the annoying "noise" effect)? @ImpulZ

P.S. - this effect significantly ruins my experience in the dark.

This effect is part of a measure against gamma exploit. For now, readjusting your game and screen settings should lower its effect.

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, Stinkenator said:

I'm using

serverTimePersistent=0;

On stable servers modify your "init.c" file as follow:

void main()
{

Hive ce = CreateHive();
 if ( ce )
  ce.InitOffline();

Weather weather = g_Game.GetWeather();

weather.GetOvercast().SetLimits( 0.0 , 1.0 );
 weather.GetRain().SetLimits( 0.0 , 0.0 );
 weather.GetFog().SetLimits( 0.0 , 0.25 );

weather.GetOvercast().SetForecastChangeLimits( 0.5, 0.8 );
 weather.GetRain().SetForecastChangeLimits( 0.1, 0.3 );
 weather.GetFog().SetForecastChangeLimits( 0.05, 0.10 );

weather.GetOvercast().SetForecastTimeLimits( 3600 , 3600 );
 weather.GetRain().SetForecastTimeLimits( 300 , 300 );
 weather.GetFog().SetForecastTimeLimits( 3600 , 3600 );

weather.GetOvercast().Set( Math.RandomFloatInclusive(0.0, 0.3), 0, 0);
 weather.GetRain().Set( Math.RandomFloatInclusive(0.0, 0.2), 0, 0);
 weather.GetFog().Set( Math.RandomFloatInclusive(0.0, 0.1), 0, 0);

weather.SetWindMaximumSpeed(30);
 weather.SetWindFunctionParams(0.1, 1.0, 50);
GetGame().GetWorld().SetDate(2018, 6, 12, 7, 3);
}

Add the line in bold in your init.c exactly as it is. The server will start at 7h30. Set your acceleration to 0 and enjoy 12h of daylight.

15 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

From what I've come to understand, server owners have different mods as well as tweaks to server files which could produce many different results.

Also, not all servers are running on the same Windows server version this may also produce different results.

This issue for us isn't just crashes, but equally for native server restarts, as well as shutdowns. AFAIK, there are only 2 people working the bug tracker and it looks like Geez might be alone right now. I'm sure that's slowing things up a bit.

Someone in my project said that there is a bug that affects SQL Server 2008 R2, VMware Vsphere 5.0 and up that causes a drastic over saturation of the CPU through the sqlserver.exe process causing major performance issues in the server.

No idea, just throwing it out there.

Only 2 devs watching the bug tracker ??? It’s beta for fucks sake . Shouldn’t they all be watching that thing since beta is all about fixing bugs ? 

Edited by PandahFistophacleezeSykes

16 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

We are pretty open about this. Most of wipes are caused by crashes, not controlled restarts. If you have a community server that wipes upon controlled restart, please get into contact with us via our Feedback Tracker.

You are pretty open about this. But you should see it from our side ImpulZ. What you guys shared with us is this forum post: 

This post is very clear. You are talking about a system that is implemented to make sure it will never happen again. The next two patches though, there have been no notes about persistence specifically. So we don't really know what the state of things is right now. Have you made improvements? Are some persistence issues fixed or all of them? Is this system now implemented? We feel a little bit left in the dark here. On every patch note since this post we ask what's up with persistence and there is just no answer until you posted this. We understand what to do as server owners. But we don't really know what to focus on as players. Can we safely make bases now? Or not? If not, where do we stand?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LuckyHunter48 said:

I got you @ImpulZ . I have a question arising from your answer - what settings i should change to make it not so annoying?

You should decrease your gamma of your monitor or graphicscard settings.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, barelyinfected said:

You are pretty open about this. But you should see it from our side ImpulZ. What you guys shared with us is this forum post: 

This post is very clear. You are talking about a system that is implemented to make sure it will never happen again. The next two patches though, there have been no notes about persistence specifically. So we don't really know what the state of things is right now. Have you made improvements? Are some persistence issues fixed or all of them? Is this system now implemented? We feel a little bit left in the dark here. On every patch note since this post we ask what's up with persistence and there is just no answer until you posted this. We understand what to do as server owners. But we don't really know what to focus on as players. Can we safely make bases now? Or not? If not, where do we stand?

Sorry about the confusion, let me try to clarify.

Eugen mentioned in the post quoted by you that we had one fix in place to prevent this from happening. Since then, we've discovered that there are multiple and different cases of persistence data corruption caused by different kinds of server crashes (again, regular restarts should not be causing wipes). Especially with modding support and the server files released, there are now many more possibilities for those crashes to occur, and some are more difficult for us to reproduce them. This is the reason why we've been asking constantly for reports and crash files associated with them. And as modding practically allows entirely new types of crashes to emerge, there will be no definite fix of all server crashes possible and it is very likely that persistence protection against corruption cannot be guaranteed, because - as mentioned before - we cannot estimate what kinds of crashes can arise due to modifications. That said, we will continue to resolve all crashes and resulting issues that get reported to us, to minimize the damage and effect on the gameplay experience.

As a long-term solution, we are now evaluating how to best create frequent persistence backups (we've heard there are already some communities out there trying that) to minimize the damage caused by those crashes.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

11 minutes ago, ImpulZ said:

Sorry about the confusion, let me try to clarify.

Eugen mentioned in the post quoted by you that we had one fix in place to prevent this from happening. Since then, we've discovered that there are multiple and different cases of persistence data corruption caused by different kinds of server crashes (again, regular restarts should not be causing wipes). Especially with modding support and the server files released, there are now many more possibilities for those crashes to occur, and some are more difficult for us to reproduce them. This is the reason why we've been asking constantly for reports and crash files associated with them. And as modding practically allows entirely new types of crashes to emerge, there will be no definite fix of all server crashes possible and it is very likely that persistence protection against corruption cannot be guaranteed, because - as mentioned before - we cannot estimate what kinds of crashes can arise due to modifications. That said, we will continue to resolve all crashes and resulting issues that get reported to us, to minimize the damage and effect on the gameplay experience.

As a long-term solution, we are now evaluating how to best create frequent persistence backups (we've heard there are already some communities out there trying that) to minimize the damage caused by those crashes.

Thanks a lot for this extensive answer! :)

One more question though. I think we all understand that some modifications cause more harm than others but can you guys confirm if the persistence issues are resolved with the Vanilla build? Or are we not there yet?

Just now, barelyinfected said:

Thanks a lot for this extensive answer! :)

One more question though. I think we all understand that some modifications cause more harm than others but can you guys confirm if the persistence issues are resolved with the Vanilla build? Or are we not there yet?

Again, the persistence issues are tied to server crashes. So to guarantee that there are no persistence issues, we would have to guarantee that there are no server crashes possible in the vanilla game. We can't guarantee that right now, and also in the near future with still a lot of features planned (the seemingly smallest things can cause a crash).

So to repeat, we have a constant effort going to reduce the risk and we are working on a long-term solution. The vanilla game will be definitely safer than modified versions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ImpulZ said:

Again, the persistence issues are tied to server crashes. So to guarantee that there are no persistence issues, we would have to guarantee that there are no server crashes possible in the vanilla game. We can't guarantee that right now, and also in the near future with still a lot of features planned (the seemingly smallest things can cause a crash).

So to repeat, we have a constant effort going to reduce the risk and we are working on a long-term solution. The vanilla game will be definitely safer than modified versions.

I understand. Thanks again for your answer I think a lot of people have waited on a reply like this regarding persistence.

1 minute ago, ImpulZ said:

Are there plans to move the persistence to an actual database? 

• Like 1