ZombieCooKie

Need short help for correct syntax

I want to send message to players with survivor in name.

I need the correct syntax for the if section.

if (player.GetIdentity().GetName() contains? "Survivor") 

{
}

Should work. Would be

if (player.GetIdentity().GetName().Contains("Survivor")) {

}

If you want to send a message to players whose name is exactly "Survivor" (case-sensitive) and nothing else, you would just..

if( player.GetIdentity().GetName() == "Survivor" )

I don't know if the Contains function is case-sensitive, but it would return true as long as they had "Survivor" as any part of their name.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

1 hour ago, lbmaster said:

Should work. Would be

if (player.GetIdentity().GetName().Contains("Survivor")) {

}

This works. Thank you :)

2 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

If you want to send a message to players whose name is exactly "Survivor" (case-sensitive) and nothing else, you would just..

if( player.GetIdentity().GetName() == "Survivor" )

I don't know if the Contains function is case-sensitive, but it would return true as long as they had "Survivor" as any part of their name.

I'm not sure how it works in Enscript but in Java calling == on Strings it compares object references. In order to compare the values, one would use the equals method. So this might or might not work, depends on Enscript I guess.

Edited by IMT

4 minutes ago, IMT said:

I'm not sure how it works in Enscript but in Java calling == on Strings it compares object references. In order to compare the values, one would use the equals method.

Enscript is very heavily C-based language, to the point of using ".c" as the file extension for scripts.
I know Java handles comparisons differently, but I assure you, this is how it works in C/C++/C#.

In C++, if you wanted to compare the objects themselves, you would compare the memory address of those objects.
In C#, if you wanted to compare the objects themselves, you would use System.Object.ReferenceEquals(object, object)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Enscript is very heavily C-based language, to the point of using ".c" as the file extension for scripts.
I know Java handles comparisons differently, but I assure you, this is how it works in C/C++/C#.

In C++, if you wanted to compare the objects themselves, you would compare the memory address of those objects.
In C#, if you wanted to compare the objects themselves, you would use System.Object.ReferenceEquals(object, object)

Very good to know. I come from the Java side and allways wondered how EnforceScript handles this.