0.64 Freerider

*INVENTORY* - Slot separation/Quickbar Accessibility

VOTE here!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see separated slots for pockets and such?

• Yes.
    • No. (Please tell us in just a few words or more if you like, why you think it's not fitting for DayZ)
  2. 2. Would you like the quickbar only to be assignable for items inside reachable clothing parts(Jackets, Pants, Vests, maybe backpack side-pockets if introduced)?

• Yes.
    • No. (Please tell us in just a few words or more if you like, why you think it's not fitting for DayZ)

Disclaimer: I know that there are more pressing things to be dealth with. That is not up to question.

Something I believe to be crucial to the "see and analyse"/"recoginzing threats", Peter Nespesny has mentioned, is the ability to hide huge-ass guns in your Jacket (e.g. BDU Jacket+M4A1/UMP).

If you see another player only wearing a jacket and pants, you might assume they could still carry a pistol, but without a long rifle on their back or a sling in front of them (if you ever plan on adding a sling into the game, would love it), there is no way, you would assume them to be so heavily armed.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with stuffing an SMG or even bigger weapon in your backpack as long as it's logically possible (Disassembly?) , (unless it's a child's briefcase ofc).

Here is what I believe could be done to fix this and to make DayZ even more immersive. It's quite simple really.

1. ONLY allow items to be assigned to the Quickbar, that you could also reach quickly in REAL LIFE, thus speaking of Jackets, Pants, Side-Pockets of Backpacks (I'll get to that)

Example: I can't just reach in my backpack and reload a magazine IRL

2. DIVIDE/SEPARATE Item slots according to an items specifications e.g. number of pockets and their size (eliminating the issue of those huge-ass guns in a Jacket)

Example: It's perfectly logical that the BDU-Jacket has alot of slots, because it has alot of pockets but those are all individual and shouldn't magically connect to hold one huge object.

Now for the Backpack Side-Pockets I mentioned:

hnLqu0P.png

As you can clearly see, there are pockets on the sides, that wouldn't require you to open the main storage of the Assault backpack. These could also be allowed for the Quickbar.

To make my point visually understandable here is a concept a fan, seemingly named Argaf, once made (though this is based on the old inventory, it applies to the new one as well):

dayz-inventory-concept-design-2-3.jpg

Here is another example from the game Escape from Tarkov™, that uses a simliar inventory system as Dayz does:

kNNyhmp.png                        G38YxfP.png

EFT_Inventory_slot_separation.png

As can be seen here, the slots are separated which represents the actual size of the pockets on that specific piece of clothing. And while you can fill them all with individual items you can't just have an AK that artificially shares all those slots.

Because that makes it impossible to read that for example someone has a dangerous weapon as a full-sized AK when he is only wearing a jacket. For a hardcore survival game, I believe this shouldn't be the case and I know that Mr. Nespesny wants the player to be able to read other players body language and outer appearance.

Make sure to leave a vote in the top and I'm happy to discuss this in the comments.

TLDR: Quickbar only assignable for items placed inside upper and lower body clothing (including vests ofc). Item slot separation to avoid things such as pulling a full-sized AK or M4 from a jacket (threat recognization/readibility)

Edited by 0.64 Freerider
  • Beans 3

That's a big Yes from me! I'm always up for more realism in DayZ (I hope devs have time to work on such system post 1.0).

• Beans 1

Absolutely.  I touched upon such a concept in a thread of mine awhile back, but the focus was on the addition of more items that would justify the existence of those hotbar slots.

• Beans 1

I only agree this should be worked on past 1.0 , but even past the long awaited features that are supposed to come after 1.0 . So not directly after 1.0 , but maybe 6 months after so they can work on shit that’s a priority .

These small things really shouldn’t be focused on right now ... they need to get the core mechanics polished and they need to add everything they took out / have promised for years on end .

Edited by PandahFistophacleezeSykes

On 11/17/2018 at 3:50 PM, PandahFistophacleezeSykes said:

I only agree this should be worked on past 1.0 , but even past the long awaited features that are supposed to come after 1.0 . So not directly after 1.0 , but maybe 6 months after so they can work on shit that’s a priority .

These small things really shouldn’t be focused on right now ... they need to get the core mechanics polished and they need to add everything they took out / have promised for years on end .

So you're basically saying you would like it in the game but it should be prioritized in a way that it's quite a bit post 1.0, right? I'm absolutely with you on that one. In my vote I didn't ask wether you want it right now, I asked wether you would like to see it in the game, in more of a general sense with no mention of when, so since that would be a "yes" for you, I'd appreciate if you could correct your vote. Thanks for the feedback!

• Beans 1

On 11/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, NachoNinjaGnome said:

Absolutely.  I touched upon such a concept in a thread of mine awhile back, but the focus was on the addition of more items that would justify the existence of those hotbar slots.

You got my BeanZ for that sir. Love it!

On 11/16/2018 at 7:47 PM, elou44 said:

That's a big Yes from me! I'm always up for more realism in DayZ (I hope devs have time to work on such system post 1.0).

Yup agreed, should be post 1.0

• Beans 1