ImpulZ

Focused Feedback Round Guidelines (Please read and understand before commenting in this section!)

NOTE: The Focused Feedback Round is currently halted due to increased efforts on the 1.0 release.

Focused Feedback Round

Hello Survivors,

Welcome to our Focused Feedback Round section. In this section we want to share topics from various fields of the game with you, and ask for your feedback on how to improve them. To ensure our team gets a smooth and structured overview of your feedback, we have a different set of guidelines for this section of the forum. While the general Forum Guidelines still apply, there are a few extra conditions you should keep an eye on:

1. Please be sure to read and understand each topic's introduction before replying. This is a feedback thread to a specific topic of the game, so stay with this topic and don't derail the stream of feedback. Different topics will be discussed at a different point in time.
  2. This is a constructive feedback thread, not a discussion thread. So please try to keep these guidelines when commenting:
    • Comment only with specific ideas on how to improve the given area of the game. Comments such as "this is bad/stupid/great" without creative input will be removed.
    • If you like the current idea presented by the developer, or want to support a piece of feedback, don't make the thread more complicated by writing an extra comment. Just leave a can of beans to show your support. You don't want good ideas to get lost in a flood of minor discussions.
    • If you don't like ideas but don't have a better one, don't give beans, but keep this thread open for constructive ideas. We are very aware of flaws and drawbacks in the design.
    • If you want to make changes to your idea, please change your original comment and explain changes with EDIT at the top, so we can easily recognise the changes.

If you have any questions on the Focused Feedback Round, feel free to ask below. :)

Topic Overview:

DESIGN

• Like 1
  • Beans 16

11 minutes ago, Soupy98 said:

In terms of making crafting just that much faster. What If double right click acted as the combine action and double left click acted as the swapping action in the inventory.

Steps for current method

1. Double left click can of food to hands

2. Drag knife to combine section

3. Hold left click to open can

Steps for new method

1. Double left click can of food to hands

2. Double right click knife

3. Hold left click to open can. 

This will reduce the amount of dragging items in the inventory and speed up the crafting process.

6 minutes ago, FubarFrank said:

I think that the most confusing issue is that we were never given a concise explanation as to what all the indicators mean and why they do what they do. With that being said and after having figured it out my own, I believe the yellow and red states, especially flashing red work as intended but the plain white is mildly confusing. I've had situations in which my food and drink status has gone from yellow to white and I believe I'm set but minutes later it's back to yellow. Other situations I know I've over eaten and my white stays full much much longer. This obviously points to how full my stomach is but there is no indicator telling me just how much like there was in .62 with bright green and energized. I think that an indication of the food or drink level going up past soft white would work well like maybe the indicator itself fills up until a bright white and you're stuffed.

If you want to give Feedback on the specific topics, please reply in their respective discussions.

• Like 1
  • Beans 10

I see they are all closed. I have been collecting ideas and made an nice story since I heard from these feedback sessions. Now I have everything clear I see all topics were closed. I would have hoped to still be able to share my thoughts but this gives me the impression that feedback on the topics is no longer appreciated. I see the topics were opened on 13 November and closed now which give about 1-2weeks of time for feedback. My feelings is that in this time not everybody who wanted to give feedback had the time to do so properly. If you could please rethink this decision it would be very appreciated.

Thank you

2 hours ago, degoe said:

-snip-

Thank you

You can always start a topic in the suggestions sub forum and tag Peter in the post.

Currently the development timeline is very short so these topics likely close based on that.

But it also stands to reason that much more will go into these respective topics post 1.0, so your feedback could still be useful.

• Beans 1

20 hours ago, degoe said:

I see they are all closed. I have been collecting ideas and made an nice story since I heard from these feedback sessions. Now I have everything clear I see all topics were closed. I would have hoped to still be able to share my thoughts but this gives me the impression that feedback on the topics is no longer appreciated. I see the topics were opened on 13 November and closed now which give about 1-2weeks of time for feedback. My feelings is that in this time not everybody who wanted to give feedback had the time to do so properly. If you could please rethink this decision it would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Please be aware that we will close all Feedback Rounds within one week after starting them. The exact date is mentioned below each topic.

This is so that we can gather your feedback in a limited amount of time and summarize it without making an endless discussion out of it.

As mentioned, you can always feel free to post in the suggestions category, but the Focused Feedback needs to stay focused within a limited time frame.

• Beans 2

Loading magazine quality of life change:

Instead of needing to combine bullets with mags from the inventory, why not have a key (RB on controller) binded to loading the mag just as there already is for unloading it? 

Posted (edited)

I consider it wrong, the position of the player in the game, due to the lack of information about potential opponents in the game. When they kill me, I can't see who did it (or does it depend on the server settings?).
Even if I found out who killed me, other players wrote it to me. When I see a player, I cannot identify a player from a distance. All are practically dressed the same. Any opportunity to understand - whom I see, without coming into direct contact with the player, to maintain their stealth, and not to let the player know that he is discovered. The only way to find out what his name is, kill a player and read in the chat whom did you kill? After that I don’t want to kill all those who meet, without making or waiting for negotiations. I can kill tomorrow the one who helped me yesterday.
Who has any opinions and suggestions on this?
I think this is not a positive feature in the game's scenario. I understand that there are players who always hunt for everyone, and he does not need friendly contacts, gestures, and so on. But it has a number of negative developments in mass behavior, turn all players into hunters. Can friendly gestures be superfluous in this game or can it be required for further development?
I hope you understand the train of thought. The negative karma of one player should not affect the massacres, cover all players throughout Chernorussia.

Edited by lex__1

1 hour ago, lex__1 said:

by lex__1

At this point of the game if you play on PC join a RP server, or a white-listed no kill server. because dayz is now in it's second round of development they scraped the first 4 years of devlopment, and the game now is not to the point it was about  a bit over a year ago.    

1 hour ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

At this point of the game if you play on PC join a RP server, or a white-listed no kill server. because dayz is now in it's second round of development they scraped the first 4 years of devlopment, and the game now is not to the point it was about  a bit over a year ago.     

Once, I played DayZ on Arma2, I remember how it was. But Arma was my main game.
I like the transformation of the new DayZ. But there is some feeling of lack of player communication in the game. The situations are related to how the players see each other in the game, their behavior and the actions in the game that affect others.
In the game, the overall situation is greatly aggravated. A very high level of mistrust between players creates a catastrophic, partly uncontrollable situation.
 Recently there was a fun and at the same time sad situation. The guys in the chat decided to unite, wrote who is where, where their meeting will take place. They walked for a long time to each other, 40-50 minutes. Their meeting was supposed to unite efforts for the common fishing in a friendly company. It all ended sadly, considering that each of them knew who and what clothes they were wearing. The reason was that at the time of the meeting, they could not understand who sees whom, and killed each other in beautiful fire. The realization that something went wrong came later.
 In life, we have much more sensations and external signs, external features. We are able to recognize a person from far away, in whatever he was dressed, if not disguised. I understand that to reproduce any semblance of this in the game is difficult. So there must be other available methods.
 For example, I position myself as a friend in the game, and am ready to help the same players in different situations. In the game, I must somehow understand this. I can't even understand in the game, the player needs help, or I have to wait for zombies or bounty hunters to finish him off. This situation is not very convenient for players with the same life position.
 It turns out that it is easier to position yourself as a hunter, and without thinking to shoot anyone you meet. For example, at the entrance to the server, I will have to choose who I am - "bounty hunter" or "protector." The defender should have an advantage over the hunter, in terms of assessing situations of friendly communication with the same defenders.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I understand , but to get away from how other players treat you, you need to play on a no kill server.

Each player has the right to position himself in relation to others as he wants. There are many players who wish to survive at the expense of others who live on the looting of corpses. But at the moment there is a disadvantage, in the desire of players to position themselves as a “defender” or “assistant”. The bad guys kill everyone, the good guys have to shoot everyone. Guys who want to play the role of "defender" - are deprived of the opportunity to defend their life position, since the existing game logic does not allow the player to assess the life position of another player in a timely manner. All friendly gestures, chat, voice communication only exacerbate the position of the "defender", not giving him the right to quickly assess the personality of the player. Playing on a server where there is no hunting for bad guys loses the prospects of players to position themselves as a “defender”.

Edited by lex__1

Well...as a "defender"...it is YOUR problem to establish a way of keeping tabs on the other Survivors....and currently there are several ways of doing that. If you want to stay immersed, then you have handheld transceivers that can be used to communicate with others, and to serve as a way of establishing who is who....and you have In-Game VOIP, which is not that bad, actually....and you also have Global text chat...which allows you to at least send messages to everyone....

And then you have all the different methods of communication "outside" the game world...like TeamSpeak, Discord, and all the other VOIP programs...and even the Steam chat works for that purpose.

None of these solutions will take the place of having so-called "bandits" appear as different uniforms or other visual aids...but this is not ARMA2, but rather the Standalone...and the point of the matter is, you NEVER know, FOR SURE, who is good, Bad, or Ugly... All of which means that you need to think about how to figure this out on your own (or with your fellow "defenders").

I agree with @green_mtn_grandbob in regards to his suggestion that you will find what you are looking for on a Community Server that has a fairly well-defined idea of the types of playstyle that they encourage...and you will be able to refine your abilities at discovering the intentions/actions of the other Survivors through working together and keeping up with the ones you "trust". If you are a Lone Wolf, and expect an easy time with sorting the friendlies from the bad guys then you will be spawning on the coast a LOT....or you will be killing innocents a LOT....and neither outcome is what you would prefer.

I have well over a thousand hours in the Standalone playing as a Lone Wolf "defender" and unless you can effectively shadow another player all around Chenarus, and watch that player as they go about their business, then you will always have a disadvantage....and will ultimately suffer a few deaths because of it. Once I switched over to a Community Server it was definitely a better experience for me because I could start to have reasonable contact with others who I could trust...and then there was less frustration...and indeed a lot more exciting experiences, with dealing out justice to those that needed it.

Cheers!

29 minutes ago, philbur said:

If you want to stay immersed, then you have handheld transceivers that can be used to communicate with others, and to serve as a way of establishing who is who....and you have In-Game VOIP, which is not that bad, actually....and you also have Global text chat...which allows you to at least send messages to everyone....

And then you have all the different methods of communication "outside" the game world...like TeamSpeak, Discord, and all the other VOIP programs...and even the Steam chat works for that purpose.

I do not have much time playing in DayZ, as you have. But during my game, I have repeatedly come across a situation where players "hunters" commit deception. They ask for help in any city, the person corresponds with him, agrees to come to the rescue and gets a bullet at the meeting. There are so many ways of cheating that the level of distrust of players is reduced to almost zero. Almost any chance encounter ends with a shootout.
I can not say that this happens on all servers, but I do not exclude the proliferation of such methods of deception.
 I corresponded with one server administrator and could not convince him to change the rules of the game on the server, with respect to such techniques. You understand what kind of nonsense, in the rules of the game on the server, the use of game bugs is prohibited - since this is a hoax for the purpose of obtaining an advantage, and cheating as a tactic is not prohibited.
 I am certainly not surprised. But as for new players, there is a big chance to get a negative experience in the game, negative impressions about the game, before the player has time to make acquaintances, to get experience in communicating with the help of communication tools in the game or other communication programs.
Perhaps I exaggerate the significance of this task. Everyone plays on different servers, I would like to know:
- Is this practice of deception as a tactic often encountered by players on servers?
- Is there a penalty in the rules on servers for similar behavior of players?

On 3/17/2019 at 6:19 PM, lex__1 said:

- Is this practice of deception as a tactic often encountered by players on servers?
- Is there a penalty in the rules on servers for similar behavior of players?

The percentage of Survivors you meet for the first time on a Public server that you should trust?.... Basically ZERO. Keep your distance and try to observe their behavior before you get too close.

The percentage of Survivors that turn out to be honest and at least won't KOS you on a Public server?.... I really want to believe its around half of them....

MANY of the Survivors you will encounter are just in the game to be A%%holes to you....and this will never change, unfortunately...simply because the world is full of them...and online gaming is an easy way they can be who they are without getting a punch on the nose for it.

If you "don't get too attached to your character" then it becomes a bit more comical and easier to get over....but I agree it is immensely frustrating until you figure out your best ways to guard against them.

If you find a PRIVATE server that has rules in place to deal with KOS and Bandits then yes...but only at the discretion of the server ADMIN...and because the game is still not 100% there are not a lot of Community servers that have advanced methods of policing it's players yet...but have faith!

So there you have it... The way you would like to play the SA is probably something that will require you to search around for a Community server that allows PVP, but has certain "rules" (maybe factions, tribes, Hero/Bandit roles, or just plain ole Roleplaying) to suit your needs....and the good news, is that there are more and more on these becoming popular....

Leave the Public Servers for your daily dose of pew-pew and outright stupidity....

Cheers and good luck!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, philbur said:

So there you have it... The way you would like to play the SA is probably something that will require you to search around for a Community server that allows PVP, but has certain "rules" (maybe factions, tribes, Hero/Bandit roles, or just plain ole Roleplaying) to suit your needs....and the good news, is that there are more and more on these becoming popular....

Leave the Public Servers for your daily dose of pew-pew and outright stupidity....

Cheers and good luck! 

I noted it at once. I do not speak about myself, I speak about those who for the first time comes to a game. To get good experience in a game about "Zombie", to estimate and accept nuances of a game, the player needs to spend many hours in a game.
If all game is directed to usual Piu-Piu, very often new players receive negative impressions of a long stage of a game (search of equipment and weapon) - for short Piu-Piu in PvP. If to consider process of survival in a game of the new player, then he will make many campaigns from the coast. There is no scenario or the purpose in a game, only PvP. Where does survival in the world of "zombie", it pass into the background of the scenario of a game? In a game all attention of skilled players switches to control of points of search of equipment, or the coastline, for shooting of less equipped players.
It needs to be diluted with something, some other interesting tasks for skilled are necessary. Approach and distribution of the zombie has to pose more threat for skilled players, than guys from the coast.

Edited by lex__1

34 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

To get good experience in a game about "Zombie"

There is no scenario or the purpose in a game, only PvP.

Personally I don't view DayZ as a zombie game to me it's more of an survival / camping game as I tend to do that in real life as much as possible. Granted, the survival mechanics aren't quite there yet.

I know this is becoming a somewhat cliche but it's a sandbox game where you create the scenario. One time we played as Chenarus aboriginals using only bows and we had so much fun and crazy encounters that the session burned into my memory, probably for the rest of my life. There are plenty of variations how to play the game and for me that's the beauty of the game. Bandits and pure KoS players add a ton to the atmosphere of the game when you know there's a good chance somebody is camping the high loot areas or if running trough the city is a good idea.

2 hours ago, benedictus said:

There are plenty of variations how to play the game and for me that's the beauty of the game. Bandits and pure KoS players add a ton to the atmosphere of the game when you know there's a good chance somebody is camping the high loot areas or if running trough the city is a good idea. 

It becomes similar to option without a possibility of the choice of options. Any version of Arma, the CTI Server, or other card, can provide to the player more choice for the character and his experience. DayZ has to be as DayZ but not DayPvP and to provide the versions of game scenarios. There should not be a situation when the player finds repetition on all servers. To come into a game, to receive:
- long \short way to PvP
- long but boring hermit's life. To make the decision not to participate in PvP. Not with guarantee, it is more similar to the first option, but very long way to PvP.
In fact, it is one option for a game where concentration only on PvP. It can not suit the most part of players, because of an uzkost of options of succession of events in a game. From a part, it creates for some players the next servers empty, unfortunately there is such subject. Whom everything suits in a game, night time introduces amendments, and a half of fans of PvP leave a game.

This discussion got a bit out of hand/offtopic. Closed for now, until the feedback round returns.