Sign in to follow this  
MATTEO M

base destroyable?

I would suggest just making half the public servers non-hive servers to give players a choice if they are willing to deal with ghosting on public or not. Also make walls take at least a few minutes to dismantle; make electric wire prevent basic tools from dismantling wood walls at all due to electrocution, so bases are invulnerable to basic tools until the power generator runs out of fuel; and add in very rare explosives that can get through even electric wire. 

Edited by Bramblevines

3 hours ago, Bramblevines said:

I would suggest just making half the public servers non-hive servers to give players a choice if they are willing to deal with ghosting on public or not. Also make walls take at least a few minutes to dismantle; make electric wire prevent basic tools from dismantling wood walls at all due to electrocution, so bases are invulnerable to basic tools until the power generator runs out of fuel; and add in very rare explosives that can get through even electric wire. 

- so can we have bolt cutters and gloves ?
Why not have police tape that says "Do not Cross" and make it invulnerable - it all comes down to the same very unrealistic 'realism'. Since the 1st World War, 100s of methods of crossing barbed wire been developed, electrified wire or mined wire or razor wire entanglements.. you name it..  - I don't see that putting barbed wire in the game and leaving out all the 100 methods of crossing it, will make the game more "realistic" or exciting?
& I guess the fort owners will need some way of getting in and out too ?   And if THEY can lay wire, why cant YOU roll it up?
Let"s see what solutions the devs come up with. They will be looking at every online FPS game with bases in it, right now. .. (betcha)

It has already been suggested that public hive servers should ALL be made private to stop ghosting. Enough servers are on private shards ALREADY, why make more ?
If you want private shards they are not difficult to find. there are plenty - then you don't have to deal with ghosting or hopping. Many players made this choice 2 or 3 years ago. 
But private shards limit their players and bases to "private wars".. I (personally) always thought the interesting thing about the game was Public access to official servers.
Private servers are IMO just mini boys-clubs with subsets of rules and boy-scout/tyrant Admins. Unless they are public shard they are boring.
The REAL game happens on Official Servers ... IMO ..  and so Bases have to deal with that environment. 

I agree with skeptical view of pilgrim* on base building here. There should have been questions laid out like this long time ago. Since it's definitely a thing in Dayz, the only thing I look for here is a good balance between what is logical and what is good game-wise and should be carefully designed. What Dayz tries to be, against what is just too much. In a way that pretty much anyone can be relatively satisfied. I'd always think base building is a big problem in a multiplayer game world that is logical to be consistent. But players are not able to stay in consistence with the game world as the players that remain in the game would keep changing this world as opposed to the players leaving it. It always seemed to me that it would just make things too complicated, regardless of the base building trend in gaming. It is difficult both to implement, technically, and then in a way for all players to enjoy fully, .

My current idea of base building in Dayz is that there are couple of levels of it, together with persistence option on or off (server assignable). You can't build fast and during combat like in Fortnite. When building with persistence on, you get an option to claim it as a way of the server knowing it's yours. If you don't claim it (you don't care) and you log off, it stays like it is - a world object until someone scrapes all of it. It might be too tough on servers to handle this though. So it just might despawn like a dropped object, with a time limit. And/or when there are no players around to see this horrible unimmersive event ;) Or server just wipes everything after 24-48 hours.

Level 1 server option - Making a small tent camp that you can camouflage with bushes and branches. Simple barricading into and around the existing structures, so it's incorporated into the game in a most simple and beliveable way possible. Like in houses, barns, warehouses, factory buildings, a castle... Least materials required, quickest option e.g. you can use lumber, scrap doors and fences of other houses, chairs and tables, you can dismantle sheds for planks and metal sheets.

Level 2 server option - Out in the wilderness you can now create those nifty survivor's base camps. Like in the movies. You'd need a vehicle to transfer some heavy components like lumber and metal sheets, wires, fences, power generators, some items you'd need to craft in those crafting stations like security lights.

And it's somewhat like with other stuff you carry with you. You don't exclusively own this stuff really. So OK, it shouldn't be easy for others to literally destroy it in seconds, but I can't see the reason why it can't be broken into with explosives, proper tools, ladders. It can't be dematerialized just like that. When broken into, some of it IS supposed to be easily dismantled, parts can be scavenged and stolen, things like that. You can destroy someone's generator or lights without entering, while sniping from a good location.

Hesco barriers and big towers seem like way out of touch. It might be cool to look upon but it's so hard to set and build with a handful of people let alone by yourself. This base building feature can be so fun, but it's so hard not to overdo it.

But anyway, eventually your game time ends and now you don't know what to do with your base. Maybe you are the one that doesn't care anyway. If you claimed it and the persistence is on, it goes with you when you log off, and it's location is saved on that server only. When you log back in, you choose if you want to place it back in the same location whenever you reach it and check if it's safe (maybe you logged off on the opposite end of the map from your base location). If not, you've got those objects that your base consisted of in server inventory so you can place them in a different way and location. No need for some magic keypad locks or keys.

I mean, I can go on and on this way, probably complicating things more and more. Too bad the game doesn't entertain possibility of using the existing world objects for parts like with lumber and branches (street lights, lanterns and lamps, furniture for boards and planks) instead of creating them out of nothing, almost magically.

FINALLY a mod to make the bases indestructible. but I do not see servers that use it :(

Try a server without base damage. I think this it what you are looking for.

e.g.

[EU] Cheranus | no base damage | Loot+ | Vanilla | IKEA
5.83.170.48:19000

20 hours ago, schleiche said:

Try a server without base damage. I think this it what you are looking for.

e.g.

[EU] Cheranus | no base damage | Loot+ | Vanilla | IKEA
5.83.170.48:19000

Stop spamming your pseudo Dayz server with 5 people on it plase.

I have some suggestion about base build

We need doors build, to hide out bases better, and have more variants,  because now we can build base in 15% of buildings.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, In_search_of_Trip said:

Please do something with base building. 90% of building can't be base, it's very sad. 

Good, buildings are for looting not for you hoarding squatters. 

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

Good, buildings are for looting not for you hoarding squatters. 

Do you think it would be unauthentic for a survivor to not secure an abandoned building?  If suddenly, all the buildings in society became empty, you would choose to build something brand new. This makes sense to you?

Houses are for looting?  Are there not enough spawn point nodes on the map?  Are you having a lot of trouble finding items on official?  

Creating bases out of existing structures should be a priority. 

2 minutes ago, Parazight said:

Do you think it would be unauthentic for a survivor to not secure an abandoned building?  If suddenly, all the buildings in society became empty, you would choose to build something brand new. This makes sense to you?

Houses are for looting?  Are there not enough spawn point nodes on the map?  Are you having a lot of trouble finding items on official?  

Creating bases out of existing structures should be a priority. 

It makes an absolute sense, the only problem is finite amount of both buildings and loot available, so if 50% of buildings on a popular server suddenly have bases in them it'll make finding stuff a lot harder. Which is why I disagree with allowing players to board up half the map for their bases. 

Yes houses are for looting. They are literally a primary source of loot in this game. I don't play official anymore, but back when I did it was always lottery when looking for items. 

At the end of the day bases in dayz have only one purpose if you don't count killing time. Storing your stuff. You don't actually live in them which is the scenario in which securing an abandoned building would make sense. Which again boils down to the part that after your character is decently geared up survival is no longer a concern for you. Once your water a food are moderately full you have abundance of time to find more (not that food and water are hard to come by). Diseases aren't much of an issue either, there are no seasons that you'd have to brace against. Growing crops will keep you entertained for 30 minutes at most. So of course what a lot of people want to do is build a base and give the game some sort of purpose by trying to fill the base with boxes upon boxes of as good loot as they can. 

16 hours ago, General Zod said:

o if 50% of buildings on a popular server suddenly have bases in them

Right.  Like 50% of the buildings on a server are going to be boarded up.   There will never be so many houses boarded up so as that you cannot find loot. No Way.

You store your valuable stuff in your base?  On purpose?   You don't hide your valuable loot on a second account or off in a hidden area?  Actually leave it in the base, huh.

7 hours ago, Parazight said:

Right.  Like 50% of the buildings on a server are going to be boarded up.   There will never be so many houses boarded up so as that you cannot find loot. No Way.

You store your valuable stuff in your base?  On purpose?   You don't hide your valuable loot on a second account or off in a hidden area?  Actually leave it in the base, huh.

Yes, on popular community servers that have a lot of people playing on just this one server it's going to become a problem. 

My valuables are in fact hidden in a secluded area. If we introduce base building in most existing buildings and make them very hard to raid what little survival this game has to offer will be gone completely. Because everyone will build a base, story crate upon crate of everything they need and instead of trying to survive from scratch once they die they will just make a beeline to their base and be back to where they were in 30 minutes.  

Also Alt accounts are a console thing. Doubt a lot of people will be paying a full price for dayz just to keep their items on. 

15 hours ago, General Zod said:

Yes, on popular community servers that have a lot of people playing on just this one server it's going to become a problem. 

My valuables are in fact hidden in a secluded area. If we introduce base building in most existing buildings and make them very hard to raid what little survival this game has to offer will be gone completely. Because everyone will build a base, story crate upon crate of everything they need and instead of trying to survive from scratch once they die they will just make a beeline to their base and be back to where they were in 30 minutes.  

Also Alt accounts are a console thing. Doubt a lot of people will be paying a full price for dayz just to keep their items on. 

Seems inaccurate. A majority of the people I play with have legit alt PC accounts. Rest also seems like conjecture. Lots of assuming that ‘everyone’ will do what your only guessing about. 

6 hours ago, Parazight said:

Seems inaccurate. A majority of the people I play with have legit alt PC accounts. Rest also seems like conjecture. Lots of assuming that ‘everyone’ will do what your only guessing about. 

Ok, so if a lot of people store their stuff on alt accounts what do you need a in building, hard to raid base for ?

Edited by General Zod

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

Ok, so if a lot of people store their stuff on alt accounts what do you need a in building, hard to raid base for ?

You don’t need a hard to raid base.   Make them hard or easy, it doesn’t matter. My point was that making a base out of already existing structures is the logical thing to do. 

Personally, I’d rather see no base building instead of nonsensical base building. 

22 hours ago, Parazight said:

You don’t need a hard to raid base.   Make them hard or easy, it doesn’t matter. My point was that making a base out of already existing structures is the logical thing to do. 

Personally, I’d rather see no base building instead of nonsensical base building. 

And you can, in quite a lot of buildings. I don't agree with every building being base building compatible.