Sign in to follow this  
MATTEO M

base destroyable?

Hi, I built the base. then a friend approached with the saw and in a second he took it apart. But it's so simple. what's the point of all this? is it so easy with metal? I thought that only with the code could they enter. but if one with only one saw the destruction in a second what sense does it have?

• Beans 2

Till now... no sense :( I don't understand it either. Why make bases in the beginning so useless because everybody can destroy it in seconds, especially if it's really hard to build. For me right now it just makes no sense. I would appreciate it if it's alot harder to penetrate a base and while balancing slowly make it easier to break in. Not the other way around... if it's hard to get in you could really test bases and it would make sense take heavy stuff like generator etc into a base but. 

• Beans 3

but in the forum, someone who works at the game?I would like to understand what sense the basics are that are destroyed in 2 seconds

• Like 1

Folk were ranting about BASES a WHILE back and I asked this REALLY OBVIOUS question before. Seems like no one gets the point ?

In what way does "a base" help in defence against anything at all?

This is a subject that has not been looked at, or answered, or questioned, or mentioned, or discussed..  what is the ADVANTAGE of "a base" in ANY kind of gameplay?  Does it "lock", is it vulnerable when you are not online, does it protect you from snipers or does it make you sitting ducks? How do you get in and out? How do other players get in and out? Who does it "belong" to?   - what is it FOR ?

- Maybe you have bonfires and parties in there while the "enemy" gets under cover with all his weapons trained on your gate and waits for you to come out ? 

- Or he waits till you log out and then breaks in (or walks in) and takes all your stuff ???

Who "owns" a base ?.. Is one player the owner and permitted to log in and out inside the base, or can he "nominate" other owners who can also log in and out in there.. and can THEY nominate others or cross them off the list? Or can anyone inside that base log out and in there, just by walking through the gate into the base ?

How do you "capture" a base so that it is yours and not the previous owners? - the same way you "capture" a tent ? (ie - a tent belongs to anyone who uses it, like a car)..

Do you need a key or pass that you carry around in the game, so if someone kills you then can take it and get into your base?

So WHAT is this imagined "engame" gameplay around bases?  HOW is it different IN ANY WAY from gameplay around any standard military structure already planted in the scenery?

Player walks into "your" base while you're logged off  - he takes it to pieces and loads it into "your" truck, and drives off..  hmm ?

Many folk are shouting "bases bases" because it sounds sooooooooo cool, .. er..  for some reason.. but THEN WHAT ??

no answer ?

ANY answer ?

does anyone have any clear idea of how they  expect a "base" to FUNCTION  ??
Or is it just a decoration for private servers ?

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Beans 3

Also it seems like bases are gone ofter 3 days, I think barrels too.

Some info would be great, is like hey! Beta is out!, it has basebuilding, some players spent a lot of time building, and storing and then everything is gone.

I don't know what developers are thinking sometimes.... at least give the players info so they can expect basebuilding is just a placeholder right now...

• Beans 2

Exactly what I thought, I didn't read/found something from the devs in detail about basebuilding. Which mechanics will be implemented? Although there were several discussion threads about basebuilding, advantages, disadvantages of several features I read no word about it. I hoped so much that there won't be the same systems like in every other average survival game but right now it looks exactly like that. And like above said, it's not experimental or stress test branch... it's stable... Beta.

It would be really nice to read some information because it's a really time consuming feature.

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka
  • Beans 2

10 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

snip

I think the modding community will have to do actual bases that have a use, right now there is just no meaning to it

bases in a game where you are offline 80% of the day is just... nonsense, why build a base in the first place? if it won't let you have any advantage over just hiding your car in the woods

bases really only make sense if they are indestructable, or if there is a very in-depth crafting system requiring you to invest a lot of time to break into a base, not just *find crowbar, destroy base*, 

but then you have the problem of people building bases around resources, for example high value lootable buildings

if you can take a base down in less than, say, 4 hours, there is zero sense for bases except for BIG clans where almost 24/7 someone is online,

and near the base, else it's just a giant "RAID ME" sign visible from miles away

sorry for being salty, but why did they put developing time into this rather than the true DayZ Vanilla stuff like a chopper? or guns?

right now the base building is little more than what Arma 3 offers out of the box an any wasteland server, and i know it's still wip,

but i can't imagine in the slightest how they playn the whole base building system, there has been zero info about this

DayZ was never meant for bases, especially not the public servers where you can just ghost into one (or, which is even quicker right now, just take it apart)

the only thing i could imagine any sort of base building to be viable would be a temprary small kind of base,

that will give a vantage point or barricading rooms of an apartement building with door blockades or traps,

everything else seems way too vulnerable or to powerfull for DayZs playstyle, i'd rather had it they would leave bases to the modding community

(because i know the devs won't have as much experience in what makes a good base building system as the modders or players of for example epoch)

the really important parts are still lacking, and base building was just hyped, allthough the most sensible part of dayz base building is just grabbing a waterproof backpack, putting guns and ammo into it, and burying it somewhere

i think 2 or three years ago there was a discussion thread about base building here, and discussions about what the base building in DayZ will be like, and to no suprise it's barebones at best

Edited by ZomboWTF
  • Beans 2

havent tested it yet so my opinion really doesnt matter much but i like the idea of being able to chop your way into a base with an axe or saw.  i just think it should be heavily taxing on the tool you use to break in.  for instance make it so that to break 2 fence panels would eliminate 2 pristine fire axes.  or driving a car through would destroy the vehicle.  this would force people coming to break in to be prepaired.  as for defending... you would have to build multiple perimiters to make raiding more difficult.

if you think about it most modern homes built with pristine modern materials could probably be chopped into with an axe rather quickly.  one of the exterior walls of my current home is stucco, then sheeting of some kind, then studds and hollow cavity (filled with insulation) then a measily layer of drywall.  given a good axe and half an hour to an hour i could probably chop my way into almost any house on the block.

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Folk were ranting about BASES a WHILE back and I asked this REALLY OBVIOUS question before. Seems like no one gets the point ?

In what way does "a base" help in defence against anything at all?

This is a subject that has not been looked at, or answered, or questioned, or mentioned, or discussed..  what is the ADVANTAGE of "a base" in ANY kind of gameplay?  Does it "lock", is it vulnerable when you are not online, does it protect you from snipers or does it make you sitting ducks? How do you get in and out? How do other players get in and out? Who does it "belong" to?   - what is it FOR ?

- Maybe you have bonfires and parties in there while the "enemy" gets under cover with all his weapons trained on your gate and waits for you to come out ? 

- Or he waits till you log out and then breaks in (or walks in) and takes all your stuff ???

Who "owns" a base ?.. Is one player the owner and permitted to log in and out inside the base, or can he "nominate" other owners who can also log in and out in there.. and can THEY nominate others or cross them off the list? Or can anyone inside that base log out and in there, just by walking through the gate into the base ?

How do you "capture" a base so that it is yours and not the previous owners? - the same way you "capture" a tent ? (ie - a tent belongs to anyone who uses it, like a car)..

Do you need a key or pass that you carry around in the game, so if someone kills you then can take it and get into your base?

So WHAT is this imagined "engame" gameplay around bases?  HOW is it different IN ANY WAY from gameplay around any standard military structure already planted in the scenery?

Player walks into "your" base while you're logged off  - he takes it to pieces and loads it into "your" truck, and drives off..  hmm ?

Many folk are shouting "bases bases" because it sounds sooooooooo cool, .. er..  for some reason.. but THEN WHAT ??

no answer ?

ANY answer ?

does anyone have any clear idea of how they  expect a "base" to FUNCTION  ??
Or is it just a decoration for private servers ?

xxP

A base is a way to define an area that you and your group intend to keep under control, and to physically control entry and sight lines into that area.

Bases can be raided, despawned, or for the ambitious, reclaimed and defended by a new group.  Personal bases are difficult to maintain, especially with players who make it their goal to scuttle everything they find.
Shared bases, between even a dozen regular players can be viable over the long term.  Sure people can log in during the night and early morning hours and try to destroy everything, and many times they have.  But eventually, someone will note the pattern and make time to respond.  Catching and identifying the people who make their fun by destroying what others have built will lead to that person or group finding fame of the wrong sort.  If you've ever found yourself the target of an entire active server population, you would know that the options are not very fun after a couple days.  Basically all you can do is troll people, with increasingly poor success rates; as the playerbase eventually becomes familiar with your name, schedule, and whereabouts, and generously shares this information among allies.

Bases are viable but only for large and organized groups who can all get along and share.  It's almost like having something worth protecting is the first step to rebuilding civilization...

6 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

given a good axe and half an hour to an hour i could probably chop my way into almost any house on the block.

Yeah, that's true but here should go gamedesign against realism I think. If I'm in a group of 5 people in a apocalypse there will always be a few of them 1-2 to guarding the base and in dangerous situations calling help via radio. That's just not possible and that's why it's necessary to handle this fact gamedesign wise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, emuthreat said:

A base is a way to define an area that you and your group intend to keep under control, and to physically control entry and sight lines into that area.

Bases can be raided, despawned, or for the ambitious, reclaimed and defended by a new group.  Personal bases are difficult to maintain, especially with players who make it their goal to scuttle everything they find.
Shared bases, between even a dozen regular players can be viable over the long term.  Sure people can log in during the night and early morning hours and try to destroy everything, and many times they have.  But eventually, someone will note the pattern and make time to respond.  Catching and identifying the people who make their fun by destroying what others have built will lead to that person or group finding fame of the wrong sort.  If you've ever found yourself the target of an entire active server population, you would know that the options are not very fun after a couple days.  Basically all you can do is troll people, with increasingly poor success rates; as the playerbase eventually becomes familiar with your name, schedule, and whereabouts, and generously shares this information among allies.

Bases are viable but only for large and organized groups who can all get along and share.  It's almost like having something worth protecting is the first step to rebuilding civilization...

So if I get into your base... because anyone can get in while the gate's open, and say "hi" or break in while there's no one in play - then I can log out in the base?
So I can log back in at 2 am and open the gates to a bunch of my mates from another server ?

So in fact the base doesn't "belong" to anybody?  This base is just eyecandy for private servers ?

Or do specific people "own" the base .. they have some kind of list of who can log in and out in that base ? Can they add people to the list or can the original owner ONLY add people to the list? Do "owners" carry a key or a pass to the base, that is a physical object IN GAME that can be looted from their body ?

All you have said about "bases" is << they are exactly like tents or cars >>  if you mess with a group's tents or cars they will be <<pissed off>>

WOW ! 

The reason I want to know about bases is the same reason I always liked Helicopters, so that I can track them, hunt them down, and destroy them.. That's MY game. The first time I see a "base" I will hide up and observe it, see who comes and goes, see what kind of players they are, see what stuff they have, and plan IF and WHERE and HOW they are worth Attacking & Destroying.. maybe wait till one comes out of his festive kumbayah and snipe him when he steps out of the gates (because he WILL come out of the GATE.. right ?) .. or wait down the road for the first car to come out..

I MEAN, to me, A "base" in DayZ is just an excuse to play Vietnam.. And you suckers are on the Inside .. Ive always liked the AK for contact sports .. see what I'm getting at?

As for people "not liking me" and "getting a bad reputation" - I guess you are talking about private servers.. OK, I'm SOLO,  I aint a member of any gentleman's club and this is not why I play DayZ.  If you seem to be struggling or a beginner I'll give you food and drink or leave some kit in your tent, if you have a big stash of arms I'll throw it ALL out and let it despawn and roll up your tent and take it away.. and I'll do exactly the same for bases. (does that make me a "nasty person"?  oh dear..I used to like fragging helicopters too, and I'd shoot off their tail rotor if I got a chance at them in the air.. I wonder if people HATED me for that? - lol)

THIS is WHY I want to know how bases will "play", what are the rules, HOW to get in and out.. keys? ownership?  destructibility? infiltration? in-game passcards? spawning? get in while the owner"s logged out? how many "owners" allowed?  etc... Simple aint it ?.. Looks like you're putting yourself and your friends and your gear into a GOLDFISH BOWL to me.. (and that's GREAT in my opinion, go right ahead) _  but if that's really your gameplay, then you'll need a Whitelist Server for it.   Don't try it on public.

As ZomboWTF says - barricading houses, doors and windows,  would be sane and good gameplay FOR STARTERS (as long as barricades are not "invulnerable") .. and doors that open with KEYS or PASS CARDS that are objects you carry in the game. That would make SENSE already.  That could help folk survive in a nasty world... .. obvious, aint it.. ?

but "bases".. ?? - Well, they are without function, they just wont work, they are meaningless: AND If they are 'invulnerable' then that destroys DayZ SA .. and what else can you do with them?..  attract scavengers and enemies? what else?  No one has explained any way that they COULD work or even mentioned ANY mechanics of HOW they MIGHT work..  maybe they ARE simply eyecandy for private servers.. hmm??   

Many players screamed for "bases" because they SOUND COOL.. and there are BASES  in SO MANY games !! .. right? So we want them !!

But no one thought further than that..

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

you would have to build multiple perimiters to make raiding more difficult.

This is exactly what Rust is doing and will end up in weird basestyles which are good protected but don't looking good. And this is maybe my biggest concern. I just don't want ugly bases... I want bases looking good and fit in the environment. But this is only possible if they are hard to raid or if you are a group of maybe 10 people and always keep an eye of your base... don't get me wrong I don't want bases which are impossible to raid but it needs to be balanced. I just want to know which mechanics are planned for this problem.

• Like 1

guys here I am :) I am an old man returned to you. I have a certain age and many hours that start from the very first mod for arma 2 to arma 3 until dayz sa. I apologize for my English but I'm Italian.For me, the base must be difficult to build, but a lot! but it must be 10 times harder to destroy. example there must be 1 object that spawna at 10% at each restart. or on the server there can be a maximum of 10 objects until they are used which give the possibility to open the base with a% of reliability.

he hoped that this game never put bazooka or similar stuff. the helicopter is already half disgusting for me. I hope it's a stupid and slow helicopter. for people like me and my 2 friends that we are few is preferable an indestructible base (or almost), I'm fine that they can throw it down but must be something ultra difficult. I would like to have defense systems but it is frustrating that only with an ax in 10 seconds is destroyed .

this will be for me the definitive game but only thanks to the modders. we all know that the salvation of this game is theirs, when they implement the missions and some ideas for the bases will be perfect if the developers after 10 years will be able to fix this blessed persistence and hit box

7 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

So if I get into your base... because anyone can get in while the gate's open, and say "hi" or break in while there's no one in play - then I can log out in the base?
So I can log back in at 2 am and open the gates to a bunch of my mates from another server ?

So in fact the base doesn't "belong" to anybody?  This base is just eyecandy for private servers ?

Or do specific people "own" the base .. they have some kind of list of who can log in and out in that base ? Can they add people to the list or can the original owner ONLY add people to the list? Do "owners" carry a key or a pass to the base, that is a physical object IN GAME that can be looted from their body ?

All you have said about "bases" is << they are exactly like tents or cars >>  if you mess with a group's tents or cars they will be <<pissed off>>

WOW ! 

The reason I want to know about bases is the same reason I always liked Helicopters, so that I can track them, hunt them down, and destroy them.. That's MY game. The first time I see a "base" I will hide up and observe it, see who comes and goes, see what kind of players they are, see what stuff they have, and plan IF and WHERE and HOW they are worth Attacking & Destroying.. maybe wait till one comes out of his festive kumbayah and snipe him when he steps out of the gates (because he WILL come out of the GATE.. right ?) .. or wait down the road for the first car to come out..

I MEAN, to me, A "base" in DayZ is just an excuse to play Vietnam.. And you suckers are on the Inside .. Ive always liked the AK for contact sports .. see what I'm getting at?

As for people "not liking me" and "getting a bad reputation" - I guess you are talking about private servers.. OK, I'm SOLO,  I aint a member of any gentleman's club and this is not why I play DayZ.  If you seem to be struggling or a beginner I'll give you food and drink or leave some kit in your tent, if you have a big stash of arms I'll throw it ALL out and let it despawn and roll up your tent and take it away.. and I'll do exactly the same for bases. (does that make me a "nasty person"?  oh dear..I used to like fragging helicopters too, and I'd shoot off their tail rotor if I got a chance at them in the air.. I wonder if people HATED me for that? - lol)

THIS is WHY I want to know how bases will "play", what are the rules, HOW to get in and out.. keys? ownership?  destructibility? infiltration? in-game passcards? spawning? get in while the owner"s logged out? how many "owners" allowed?  etc... Simple aint it ?.. Looks like you're putting yourself and your friends and your gear into a GOLDFISH BOWL to me.. (and that's GREAT in my opinion, go right ahead) _  but if that's really your gameplay, then you'll need a Whitelist Server for it.   Don't try it on public.

As ZomboWTF says - barricading houses, doors and windows,  would be sane and good gameplay FOR STARTERS (as long as barricades are not "invulnerable") .. and doors that open with KEYS or PASS CARDS that are objects you carry in the game. That would make SENSE already.  That could help folk survive in a nasty world... .. obvious, aint it.. ?

but "bases".. ?? - Well, they are without function, they just wont work, they are meaningless: AND If they are 'invulnerable' then that destroys DayZ SA .. and what else can you do with them?..  attract scavengers and enemies? what else?  No one has explained any way that they COULD work or even mentioned ANY mechanics of HOW they MIGHT work..  maybe they ARE simply eyecandy for private servers.. hmm??   

Many players screamed for "bases" because they SOUND COOL.. and there are BASES  in SO MANY games !! .. right? So we want them !!

But no one thought further than that..

xxP

In your posts you talk like the concept of base building in a game is something almost out of reach and unheard of. 

I totally appreciate what you have said about a lot of the discussion around base building been pretty minimal, especially from the developers.

There are tons of games out there that have successfully implemented a system that works and is balanced within their environments.

Exile mod in particular is one that I would have chosen for Dayz because it worked well with the Arma engine.

- Tier bases into different materials of different strengths. 

- Tier raiding tools to correspond with different materials (e.g concrete raiding charges harder to loot and / or craft than wood raiding charges)

- Raiding takes time - Between 5-60 minutes depending on how well the base is designed, the materials used and whether players online or not

- Mobile app that notified you when your base was been raided so you had a chance to come and defend

- Raiding was noisy and could be heard across the map which made it really risky and often a failure

Explosive raiding was great for groups and if you were a sneaky and committed solo player you could go down the thermal scanner route. I had some of my best times in that mod. The PVP and raiding was fantastic considering the Arma engine is so buggy.

Edited by Caatalyst
  • Like 1

Simple simple simple example - for all you folk who act PUZZLED...  lissen UP !

You have a base on a server. I (me, the bad guy) I hop to another server, On the other server I stand where your base is located, I log back in to your server - Now I'm INSIDE your BASE.  Wow... 
Ok - was that difficult to understand?

NOW - this is still the SAME simple point (nothing complicated)  - You want to STOP this happening, so no player can log in INSIDE a BASE
ER.. EXCEPT the players who OWN the base.... right?
It would be dumb if you couldn't log in, inside "your own base", right ?

So how does the server know <this is a base>
so how does the server know <this base belongs to FRED265> ?

Because up to now, nothing belongs to anybody in DayZ - only the stuff you carry on your back "belongs" to you, for as long as you can keep it.

so how does THAT server know that this "AREA" is <<A BASE>> ? .. Because it has barbed wire all the way round it ?  And the game is implemented so you cant log in to an enclose barbwire space?  UNLESS you are LISTED as the owner of that space.. ?
Or does it have to be an enclosed space with a wooden pallisade around it?
How does the server know WHAT is a base AND WHO "owns" it, so it can deal with the logins.. That's a VERY SIMPLE starter question.

What moment does the server DECIDE <<this is a base = no one can log in except FRED256>>.. What do you have to do to make that happen? Does it happen because FRED265 put up the last piece of wood to ENCLOSE the base?
Or do other people who ALSO created the enclosed area ALSO have the right to log in inside it? 
Can you invite people who did NOT help create the base to become "members" so they can also log in and out INSIDE the base? - HOW do you do that ?
So if the base has a big HOLE blown in it,  or someone (friend or foe) takes down all one side of the enclosure,  can JUST YOU still log in and out inside it, or can ANYBODY log in to a damaged base?

This is all just ONE very simple point about "bases" 
- there is ZERO (go look = ZERO) script anywhere in the files about this, and NO SUGGESTIONS from the BI team ANYWHERE IN HISTORY
- And this is the case after the years of discussion about WHERE people can log in (for ALL kinds of reasons) has resulted in NOTHING AT ALL (except "a login delay"). 

So you can NOW build a thing that looks like a kiddie play-park and you can put tents and cars inside it..
- well woop be doop !!

This needs some MORE THOUGHT
If you are REALLY confused by this VERY simple Number 1 Starter Question, you never programmed your pc to say "hello world" in Basic.. for sure.. And later we'll get on to ALL the OTHER real questions about what is a BASE and how does it WORK. But do yourselves a favor, deal with the simple stuff first.

xxP

< and ps - if YOU can build a LADDER for your tower, why cant I build a SCALING LADDER for your wall ? >

ENJOY

Edited by pilgrim*

9 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

but if that's really your gameplay, then you'll need a Whitelist Server for it.   Don't try it on public.

Done just fine on servers open to the public.  of course we have to rebuild from time to time, and get dozens of attacks per day.  But that's just how the game plays.
Sure people log off inside, and we mostly shoot them before the animation completes.  People log back in and shoot a few people and log off.  And then they are banned for combat logging.
Sure, plenty of people play the game like antisocial dickheads.  And they are treated accordingly.  Destroying everything you find is not really any viable survival tactic, it's just being a douche; disruption for the sake of being disruptive.
It's not a way to make friends, but some folks aren't looking for friends.  It's also not a way to retain access to some of the better servers out there...

And since you mentioned it, yeah, your playstyle would definitely get you put on a priority kill list.   (not sure how that works out now that pulse checks are not in game anymore)

best way to keep your base safe will always be the same.  have someone online to defend it, or keep it small and hidden.  other than that expect that it wil be raided/trolled/destroyed.  to avoid ghosting just make sure u are on a private server.  don't feel bad if you lose everything, it happens to us all.  it will teach you new wayd to defend and will give you a reason to rebuild.  safety is great because you never lose any of your own stuff but stockpiling will only eventually get boring.  

23 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Sure, plenty of people play the game like antisocial dickheads.  And they are treated accordingly. And since you mentioned it, yeah, your playstyle would definitely get you put on a priority kill list. 

sounds great - Im glad you AT LAST found the only true PATH to play DayZ - Give yourself stars and spread your religion. Great to see you have a priority kill list, that's the most important thing for a Cult. And banning people for combat logging? How quaint yet..strangely predictable (does that happen a lot on public servers?)  - Right thought makes right bodies makes right actions makes good neighbors,  that's real noble..   Must make you warm and cozy. Hope you're all vegetarians.

IF ONLY ALL PLAYERS WERE LIKE THIS - what a circle jerk DayZ would be.

xxP

what private server are you on? - do I get hunted down fairly ? or do I get banned as soon as I log in ?

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

I made thread about it some months ago...base building and benefit...or something...and still i dont understand what player will benefit from the base?

Dayz have always been "dont attached on your gear" mental so bases,what i understand,is gonna be raided,camped...why build base because its easily spotted ?...barrels on woods and stashes underground is way to go....on my thread i treid to ask what is benefit from base after hours of building,looting and crafting?

Only one good idea what i was brainstorming was spawnpoint for you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

sounds great - Im glad you AT LAST found the only true PATH to play DayZ - Give yourself stars and spread your religion. Great to see you have a priority kill list, that's the most important thing for a Cult. And banning people for combat logging? How quaint yet..strangely predictable (does that happen a lot on public servers?)  - Right thought makes right bodies makes right actions makes good neighbors,  that's real noble..   Must make you warm and cozy. Hope you're all vegetarians.

IF ONLY ALL PLAYERS WERE LIKE THIS - what a circle jerk DayZ would be.

xxP

what private server are you on? - do I get hunted down fairly ? or do I get banned as soon as I log in ?

Dude, you posted here asking what the point is of bases, and are they good for defending anything.  I answered, with an explanation of how cooperation can make large scale base building viable.

It's a game, plenty of people play plenty of different ways.  (Hek bro, some folk even play a variety of ways depending of the day and what  server they are on).
There is no right way to play in absolute terms.  But if we are to infer that by designing the game with certain capabilities and content, that we are intended to utilize that content, then I conclude that it is desirable behavior for players to use persistent storage, vehicles and basebuilding elements in pursuit of enjoyment of the game.
That's the purpose, right?  We are talking about a game, which people play in their spare time, ostensibly for fun...

I don't think I am making any inductive leaps when I say that destroying and despawning things just for the sake of making them go away is unwanted behavior from the viewpoint of people who spend time building, organizing, and storing them. 
I don't know where you come from that the concept of cooperation to build and maintain a persistent presence on a server is somehow anathema to the intended purpose of the game; that stalking and killing players, and scuttling any attempts to prepare for the future, is just what's natural and right...
OF COURSE the people who build things are going to be upset with the people who destroy it.

If someone kept coming to your house every night, and letting the air out of your tires, would you just shrug it off and say "welp, everyone's got his own way of livin; I can't be upset that he finds joy in what he does?"  Most reasonable people would want to find the person and stop them, no?
If you want to RP as entropy incarnate, just accept that there will be people interested in interfering with YOUR preferred mode of play.  That's all there is to it.

It may come as a surprise to you, but sometimes when players meet in game, they cooperate instead of kill each other.  And by this random quirk of nature, they may indeed meet other players who cooperate, and before long, those players come to know and trust one another, and may even tend to view unknowns as the enemy.
In some aberrant cases, these groups of softened lumps of dough actually shoot other players for no good reason other than they can't be bothered to talk to strangers while moving valuable cargo.

This confuses the hunter-killer players, and makes them angry that those who choose to play the wrong way have the gall to defend themselves; let alone dare to share resources in an apocalypse scenario.  What nerve!
Sometimes these folk make it their business to interfere with any attempt at civilization being restored in their world, and take to relentlessly harassing the organized and cooperative players; who in turn respond by keeping watch, and investigating suspicious people.
Some of these fellas get ornery enough that they lose their good sense, and crawl inside of walls, or phase in and out of existence and kill them off one at a time, to punish these care bears for daring to be friendly to one another.  All manner of demons and apparitions will come a-wreckin if you leave something built long enough.
In some such cases, the ghostbusters must be called to enforce the natural laws of nature, and the offenders are banished for practicing witchcraft.
For reasons unknown, even when some have been banished for witchcraft, there always seems to be a steady flow of new people; some cooperative, some destructive and bloodthirtsy, and some that are a bit harder to pin down in any one category. 

Not sure what their problem is, gettin all hateful towards a bunch of folks with plenty of food and drink, story and song, who'd give 'em the shirt off their backs if they'd just stopped shootin' long enough to ask.  Maybe they just hate life. Mebbe they miss they's mamma. Or mebbe still, they just ain't been properly socialized yet.

In any case, we take 'em as they come; leave 'em as they go.

• Beans 3

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Not sure what their problem is, gettin all hateful towards a bunch of folks with plenty of food and drink, story and song, who'd give 'em the shirt off their backs if they'd just stopped shootin' long enough to ask.  Maybe they just hate life. Mebbe they miss they's mamma. Or mebbe still, they just ain't been properly socialized yet.

Hi Emuthreat

This is like : I ask a technical question about the ballistics of a rifle and you give me a moral lecture about how bad and antisocial it is to shoot other players. That is no answer to my question.

Your only technical answer is that in your view  BASES are designed by BI to be  eye-candy for private PvE servers.

Nah ! 

I think MOST Xbox players, and VERY MANY PC players would be TOTALLY AMAZED if that turned out to be true.

And REALLY REALLY REALLY  NOT pleased.

I say  << how well does this rifle SHOOT - load, caliber, range, accuracy, damage - give me the figures ? >>

And you say   <<Oh, it doesn't shoot AT ALL, dude, you just carry it around to look good, - because where I play DayZ, we don't approve of people who shoot rifles at each other>>

Are you really SURE this is the game = DayZ SA = we are both talking about here ?

Really? - Bases are just complicated useless eye-candy for PEACEFUL co-operative servers? - and that's how BI INTENDS them to be ??

Go tell it on Xbox

• Beans 1

And that's the question of this thread, will it be like it is in the future (with more stuff you  can build) or are several game mechanics planned for base management, building and ownership. How somebodys playstyle in the meaning of basebuilding is, isn't the theme of this thread.

• Beans 1

What’s going on with basebuilding ? I swear persistence has never been so bad .... they really need to fix bases despawning AND the fact that these bases can be demolished in less than minutes . 

Please don’t leave the game like this until 2019 devs , we beg of you to fix this quickly ! My bitch love do kokane.

Edited by PandahFistophacleezeSykes

6 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Your only technical answer is that in your view  BASES are designed by BI to be  eye-candy for private PvE servers.

You've been around long enough to know that private servers are the longstanding answer to the problem of ghosting.  Perhaps BI will support a number of official servers that are independent of any hive, to prevent ghosting into bases.  But thank you nonetheless for the sarcastic and disingenuous response.
The advantages of building a base on the public hive are aligned with the needle in a haystack principle and reliance on the notion that people only server hop military areas, so your forest compound should take at least a few weeks for anyone to discover. 
At which point they will tell all their friends, and host a special twitch stream in which they dismantle the base and despawn all of its contents. Because let's be honest, that's all bases are good for, right? Sandcastles to kick over, and nothing more.

<<Oh, it doesn't shoot AT ALL, dude, you just carry it around to look good, - because where I play DayZ, we don't approve of people who shoot rifles at each other

The degree to which you have no idea what you are talking about is staggeringly hilarious to me.  I've easily had 90% of my entire PvP experience on this so-called peaceful cooperative server.
Believe it or not, some players come there because they found out that there is a place where they know people will be; because these dumb fucks actually advertise their presence. 
Did you hear that? A group of players is dumb enough to actually tell people where they are in DayZ; and after getting killed, they go back to do it again.

Bases are just complicated useless eye-candy for PEACEFUL co-operative servers?

I suppose if they were useless people wouldn't build them.  But hey, somebody's gotta put in the work for salty cunts to come and despawn, amirite?  That's at least one approved use by your standards...

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, PandahFistophacleezeSykes said:

they really need to fix bases despawning AND the fact that these bases can be demolished in less than minutes . 

^^^THIS^^^

Base elements need to be about 10x as durable as they are now, to balance the effort need to build a base, compared to the effort required to dismantle, or even just breech.
At the very least, the time needed to demolish a wall should be about 10 minutes.  Combination locks are nice, but at this point nobody is going to try to guess the combo, when they can just spend 30 seconds with a crowbar.

As far as ownership mechanics, I don't really see a need, or a way to realistically implement it.  What are they gonna do, have base totems that the one true owner has possession of, which they can grant access to others by letting rub the buddha's belly.
Stronger locks and reproducible keys would be one good way to share base access.  But this is a moot point unless they seriously increase durability of walls and gates.

• Thanks 1