Sign in to follow this  
SoWeMeetAgain

how to reload guns correctly?

Hey guys,

so I'm a bit confused here, the only way I have found to reload any gun is through the inventory, the "r" hotkey doesn't do it the way I would expect.
Say we're using a Mosin, the "r" key of course only cycles the bolt. To load bullets I seem to have to have the rifle in hand, drag the bullet over to the gun and "combine", then it puts on one bullet and closes the inventory, repeat until magazine is full.
Is there an easier way?

Cheers,

SoWe

Put the ammunition on your hotbar. Pressing the corresponding number will reload that ammunition. I've not played in a little while, but I know that's how it works with weapons that need a magazine. I assume that a Mosin would work in the same way, though maybe you have to hold the number key down.

• Beans 1

That is how it used to work, but now we are in beta.

So now, no, that puts the gun away and the ammo into your hand.

Yeah I have had same issues. Haven't there been like a million stress tests. Shouldn't problems like that have been found? 

Or are we just doing it wrong? Only played like 2 hours so far of 6.3

You have to hold the hotbar key down, if you just press the key your character will take the rounds into hands.

Edited by Snarienza
  • Beans 1

I generally like the idea of needing to hold the ammo in order to reload. Adds to realism/immersion, imo.

For me I hold the item needing reloaded (either gun or magazine) in my hands, place the ammo required into a toolbar slot (so gun/magazine in slot 1, ammo in slot 2) then press the [2] on the keyboard and it'll load.

One thing I have had considerable problem with is the shotgun. I can fill it full of ammo no problem, I think it's either 6 or 8 rounds, but after firing the first shot, I cannot for the life of me get it to que up the next shell other than clicking [R] for reload. This gives the classic pump shotgun animation. However holding [R] also ejects a shell, so if I have 6 shells in the gun, fire one (so I have 5) I then point and click and get an empty barrel sound, so I have to reload (using [R]) this then places the shell into the barrel ready for firing but also ejects one shell. This means for every shot an reload I am spending two shells; one that is shot and one that is taken out of my gun and placed into my inventory.

Man I really hope we can change this behaviour with the hotkeys. I don't want to hold the thing to put in a round.

Also hope we can make it so m1 makes the gun go up if it's down and shoot's if it's up with no problems ... and another key to take it down. I remember in the experimental the key to toggle up-down wouldn't work half of the time and if you held it it would result in a stupid dance, aggravating.

Please stop PRESSING TO RELOAD . You PRESS A KEY to take something into your hands , you HOLD A KEY to reload specific anmo on your hotbar .

for instance : mac daddy has a shotgun on hotbar 1 , he also has buckshot on hotbar 2 and slugs on hotbar 3 ... he shoots a buckshot round , that’s already loaded , at a dickhead freshspawn but realizes he needs slugs — so he HOLDS down hotbar key # 3 for as long as he needs to load the entire shotgun with slugs .

Press hotbar key to put in hands , HOLD appropriate hotbar key with ammo while holding your weapon to load said ammo into gun , one by one . Also works with guns that use clips and the clips themselves if put on the hotbar (also need to hold that key , or else the magazine will pop into your hands with just a press).

13 minutes ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

and by the time you do all that , the fresh spawn puts an axe in your head.

Do you prefer to open up the inventory and drag the slug on the gun? :-)

The hotbar does a good job, you just need to remember putting your ammo in there, then take your weapon in your hand (which you'll probably have seeing the fresh spawn running towards you) and HOLD down the ammo key.

Edited by Undeceived

Thanks for the info. So now I know how to HOLD down the hotbar key to load a shotgun. Can I then fire until the shotgun is out of ammo or do you need to hit R for reload between shots?

docjonel, when you press R with your shotgun you are not reloading. When you fire with shotgun, you need to press R to remove the empty shell you just fired from your gun. You reload the gun when you insert a shell on the shotgun. You always need to press R after shoot with a shotgun or mosin to get next bullet. But if you press R and the bullet wasnt fired, you just take that bullet off your gun.

Think the bullets from a shotgun as a stack, when you press R you are saying, next bullet, please.