THYERS

In the dark after update

I updated my game yesterday on the experimental servers and in the darkness I am no longer able to play the game.  The night before last I was playing and during the night cycle I had no issues and was rather enjoying myself, I have only had the game on pc for a few days.  Since the small update yesterday I have found it near enough impossible to play during the night cycle.  I had a similar issue on the xbox during the night cycle and put that down to my capture card, however the same issue seems to have creeped into this version.  I made a video to show you what I mean check it out here:

Edited by THYERS
add link.

9 hours ago, THYERS said:

I updated my game yesterday on the experimental servers and in the darkness I am no longer able to play the game.  The night before last I was playing and during the night cycle I had no issues and was rather enjoying myself, I have only had the game on pc for a few days.  Since the small update yesterday I have found it near enough impossible to play during the night cycle.  I had a similar issue on the xbox during the night cycle and put that down to my capture card, however the same issue seems to have creeped into this version.  I made a video to show you what I mean check it out here:

It's working as intended and grab a light source (flashlight, torch, etc.) and play the game as it's intended. if you're lucky, you may find night vision goggles (if they're in) and won't have to worry about the darkness. 

Edit: You can also play on community servers where it's always daytime.

Edited by LordBlackwolf

I see what you are saying about its dark and it is working as intented, if the intention is to make the game unplayable then yes it is working.  But I have been in numerous situations of no street lighting and in the middle of nowhere, this is not true of being in the dark.  I'm all for immersion in games and I think this is a bit over the top.  I mean you can't see the back of the players head!

I think all this will achieve is to push the players away from the game.  What was wrong with the version before the update?  They could have toned the darkness up a bit and still made it immersive and I don't think changing servers or playing servers without darkness is a viable solution to this issue.

Edited by THYERS
meh

On 11/8/2018 at 10:52 AM, THYERS said:

I see what you are saying about its dark and it is working as intented, if the intention is to make the game unplayable then yes it is working.  But I have been in numerous situations of no street lighting and in the middle of nowhere, this is not true of being in the dark.  I'm all for immersion in games and I think this is a bit over the top.  I mean you can't see the back of the players head!

I think all this will achieve is to push the players away from the game.  What was wrong with the version before the update?  They could have toned the darkness up a bit and still made it immersive and I don't think changing servers or playing servers without darkness is a viable solution to this issue.

If I'm not too intrusive could you share the location where you could see somewhat properly (if I understood that correctly) without no additional light sources when sky is covers with clouds.

I live in Finland and this time of year when its not yet snowy and sky is clouded without additional light sources I could not see even my hand raised in front of me and that was couple of weeks ago when I was walking our dogs in the nearby forest. Without light source I would have been walking there all night as I lost my bearings very fast.

Of course Finland is somewhat more to the north comparing imaginary Chernarus but the actual location of what it is depicted from is not that far away and that's why I used my location as a comparison.

When moon is visible and there are no cloud coverage then I agree that Total F*cking Darkness (ahoi Filthies!) is a bit too much.

Edited by Deranged Pineapple

On 09/11/2018 at 12:25 PM, Deranged Pineapple said:

If I'm not too intrusive could you share the location where you could see somewhat properly (if I understood that correctly) without no additional light sources when sky is covers with clouds.

I live in Finland and this time of year when its not yet snowy and sky is clouded without additional light sources I could not see even my hand raised in front of me and that was couple of weeks ago when I was walking our dogs in the nearby forest. Without light source I would have been walking there all night as I lost my bearings very fast.

Of course Finland is somewhat more to the north comparing imaginary Chernarus but the actual location of what it is depicted from is not that far away and that's why I used my location as a comparison.

When moon is visible and there are no cloud coverage then I agree that Total F*cking Darkness (ahoi Filthies!) is a bit too much.

I have been in numerous places generally in the UK and France, I am a fan of astrophotography and seek the places that are as far from light pollution as possible.  There are a few places in Wales listed as dark sites for taking photos of the sky at night.  I can't speak for the Northern parts of Europe, but I would compare the darkness in the video of an experience I had in a cave with no light sources and I couldn't see anything.  It's a shame really as I have now resorted to playing daylight only servers, maybe I should request 50% if my money back for only being able to play half of the game

9 hours ago, THYERS said:

For reference purposes.

https://flic.kr/p/2a497S9

If you don't mind me asking what is the light glow in the horizon in that picture? If you imagine a world without literally zero light pollution as if electric grid has gone dark completely I would think that without cloudless sky you could not really see anything in november. Obviously with clear sky starlight would help a lot.

I was in belgium few year ago in summer time and night was terribly dark (not pitch black though) without light sources there too. Of course I could not witness how it could be without light haze coming from cities.

Question usually is that does the darkness we have now serve a purpose in gameplay wise if and when they aim for authenticity. I think yes but that's only my opinion :)