Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 6 November 2018

Biggest question is why they made gamma and brightness into one slider, even when the core game has them separate. It's impossible to tune the darkness, especially for me with migraines that have to have my screen on an already low brightness setting. To top it off, the dayz devs annoyingly enough have made the GeForce Experience crash if you try to open up the color correction tool which can add additional post-processing to tweak these things.

I was fine with this when this game was still considered Alpha, but come on, this is Beta...

Edited by daniel0056

i even think the most valuble spawns and weapons should only be available at night.

so that there is i big reason to play at night. the darkness could be a tiny bit less dark, but maybe if that would be so, we could gamma hack it again.

as i understand it stuff spawns in a radius around a player? so maybe that big time stuff could spawn only if i had a bit of a journy behind me (1km) trough night and enter a place or building which is supposed to have such item.

as i mentioned earlier, i was kind of happy about it to be forced to use a flare. semms like all sticks have the same lenght now

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎12 at 3:05 AM, daniel0056 said:

Did you actually take a look at that screenshot?

Oh Boy....

YES...It is a screenshot of total darkness.... I get it.... Nice pic!

UPDATE: I managed to get my game running and gave it a try. In Svetlo, I used my flare to find a knife and craft a torch. When I noticed how quickly it consumes rags, I decided to hop on the yellow trail to find some small stones (to craft a knife and keep chopping rags). Much to my dismay, I discovered that I needed not 2 but 9 stones - up to 8 they just stack and you only get the knife crafting option with the 9th (or maybe I did something wrong?). All in all, I spent a couple of hours just to mess with light sources and I must say I'm not currently impressed by them. A short overview:

1) Road flare - overall a good light source, but goes out in rain. In case you wondered, the flare lasts for 20 mins.

2) Torch - eats through rags like crazy, some 2 mins or less per rag. You will likely ruin a blade or two just to keep it running through the night (not to mention the constant 'refueling'). As it goes out in rain, not worth it in this current weather.

3) Glowsticks- I can barely see anything by their light, but I guess they're OK to traverse familiar terrain or spread around your base if you feel like some hammering.

4) Gas lamp - the current model is ridiculous and leaves half the room lit... like this:

https://imgur.com/WeIlWte

I don't think it's worth it.

5) Headtorches - as described somewhere else, they're very clearly broken. A small red diode hovers half a meter above your head and doesn't light up anything. You have no reason to take it in your hands.

6) Weapon/pistol flashlights - couldn't find any; are they in?

7) Flashlights - the only reliable and actually useful light source right now in my opinion. Its luminosity is poor, but you can handwave it with 'low-tech' environment (regular flashlights for households were exactly like that in the Communist Poland).

I find the flashlights a lot of fun. They don't blind you or your toon, they don't go out in rain or after few minutes. And in the dark night at Novo, for the first time I had actually really spooky experiences like from that horror game Amnesia: The Dark Descent (especially since I turn off the light every now and then to look around if I don't see someone else's light). When a zed or two chased me through that town hall square, I must say it was intense to hear nothing but shrieks in the dark. I hope the darknesses stay close to what we have (although it's really tad too dark) but we soon get the light sources fixed!

Good job, devs. Looking forward to watch the progress in this department.

Edited by Kirov (DayZ)
I can't embed the above image for some reason

On 11/7/2018 at 1:06 AM, Baty Alquawen said:

Today was quite a busy day at our office with the Experimental BETA patch hitting the Experimental servers. So apologize this late Status Report, it is worth it.

How do you see that the new night-time is working? For me it seems that players play currently mostly where there is not dark. Meaning that people leave stable servers to experimental servers and vice versa immediately when it starts to get dark. I personally think that the new night is not working very well as it is major pain in the ass to navigate anywhere without using roads during the night.

There is really no equipment that will help in this as flashlight is totally useless in the middle of field and you can't even see a tree line. In real life for example the moon gives much more light and you are able to for example navigate. This is worse than in Finland during December when there is no snow, which obviously is totally different than conditions in the game world would be. Considering at what meridian Chernarus is supposed to be located at.