Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Night Time is Garbage

Havent played the game since the night update and now RDR2 has dropped its highly unlikely I will play Dayz again until there is a content update at least.

Does the PC version have stars to navigate etc? Only played on Xbox so not sure? If no, will the Enfusion engine allow such a cycle?

• Beans 1

42 minutes ago, Los Bandito said:

Havent played the game since the night update and now RDR2 has dropped its highly unlikely I will play Dayz again until there is a content update at least.

Does the PC version have stars to navigate etc? Only played on Xbox so not sure? If no, will the Enfusion engine allow such a cycle?

I'm pretty sure the stars are accurate, I recognise some of the constellations

11 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I'm pretty sure the stars are accurate, I recognise quite a few constellations and found polaris using the pointer in ursa major

I will be checking this out. Maybe old learn a little more about the stars ?

Oh, i forgot that only the thread-startet is allowed to have opinions. ;)

Constructive criticism is great, but that is like 10% of what I see in here, so I stand by my words about finding another game is this is not giving anyone enough satisfaction.

I love the night, it gives the game something else... We heard some crazy tunes pumping out at Electro.. Classic Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark.

Zombies everywhere, gun shots lighting up every now and again, rain hammering it down (I must admit the rain is far to loud and wind on title screen) intense atmosphere...

Everyone enjoys different things, I guess you could try fortnite maybe!?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Beans 1

On 10/26/2018 at 5:51 AM, pilgrim* said:

Weyland Yutani & -Gews- & odin_lowe are three  players who have ALWAYS been with DayZ right since the start. Their opinions are ALWAYS worth listening to and thinking about.  You may agree or disagree, but between them they  have tens of thousands of hours in this game. They have ALWAYS been there. They have seen every change in it from the Mod to the present version. 

Newer players have their points of view too - that's great - but it's silly to insult any of these three players, for any reason. (hey, I wouldn't do it!) So it's a good idea to check their posts if one of them has something to say,. I always do, because whatever is in those posts is defiantly worth looking at & thinking about.

Look back a their old posts, they are full of quality information and opinions about DayZ.  Might even help new players to get a better grip on the game, and notice some important interesting stuff you haven't thought about before.

- just saying.

Put these guys on your read list. Do yourselves a favor.

ENJOY

xxP

I've got you on my read list as well my friend. 

• Thanks 1

Far from garbage! It gives a realism element to the game that I like. I am sure they will tweak it as time goes on, but I thought that it was fun.

UPDATE: As of last weekend, 98% of console servers with a population over 50 are night and nearly all are pitch black during prime time hours East Coast USA. We server hopped for hours to get  this telemetry.

Global population IS DOWN on console, confirmed. Before nights were FORCED there was 3-4 max pop (60/60) servers with almost 10 in the high to low 50's. This weekend, lucky if there was 1 max pop and maybe 3 servers in the mid to low 50's...a lot were in the 40's and not a far scroll down they're down to 11/60 and 4/60.

Surprise surprise, forced pitch black nights are driving players away. Where are all these Stans with 8, 10, 2, 1, 28 posts coming from?

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Beans 2

I feel ya dude. I enjoy the night time and rainy thing BUT it has definitely negatively impacted the player base, I'm an EU player and even on weekends there only two full servers at any one time and the rest range from 10-1 players. Combine those figures with the recent release of black ops and red dead 2 and it's dropped even lower. I always knew it'd be a niche game but I never expected it to be the same 120 people playing in European high pop servers within a few months. It's a big shame when a game like DayZ is reliant on a healthy player base, many people who are happy playing the run around the coast having a chat style gameplay or the people who love to go for high end weapons and PvP or RP a hero are blindly fanboying ATM which is commendable but also shortsighted, there assumption that this game is comparable to the mod and that it's core gameplay elements are okay as they are without any need for more mechanics or content before 1.0 other than the basic base building and two ground vehicles is flawed. There's a reason that 9 out of 10 people who have bought the game on console and PC no longer play is because it isn't fulfilling to play for them, not enough depth or nuance. And when the games press see 1.0 release and the game goin for full price at Xmas for PC it'll get decimated. I love the original mod and can see the potential for this game , but if the people who are continuing to play it (the minority of people who actually bought it) keep settlin for it as is, the game will not grow. Therefore it won't get the support and development it deserves. I'm not just some hater, I've played and watched content of this game and it's many mods for years. SA maybe the most stable version so far but it's also the dullest

• Like 1

They definitely need to adjust it. Full moon is just pitch black for me. Even torch light brightness feels weak as hell.

note: pls ignore panel on the right.

Before: Default torch light (full moon)

6510e75b19.png

Boosted game gamma

ee2a717b55.png

Before: Cherno default full moon 

fb56a58264.png

After:

2bd592b13e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

18 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Surprise surprise, forced pitch black nights are driving players away. Where are all these Stans with 8, 10, 2, 1, 28 posts coming from?

While the nights are a tad much, I don’t believe it’s the main factor.

Dayz is a niche title, geared towards the hardcore player. Consoles, particularly Xbox, has its fair share of hardcore gamers, though a majority are surely more of the casual player.

Also the fact that CoD and RDR2 ( the latter of which is an absolutely fantastic game) have certainly grabbed a large portion of players attention.

Then there’s BI’s decision to can a lot of the content the remaining players were excited over.

1 hour ago, Nayte said:

While the nights are a tad much, I don’t believe it’s the main factor.

Dayz is a niche title, geared towards the hardcore player. Consoles, particularly Xbox, has its fair share of hardcore gamers, though a majority are surely more of the casual player.

Also the fact that CoD and RDR2 ( the latter of which is an absolutely fantastic game) have certainly grabbed a large portion of players attention.

Then there’s BI’s decision to can a lot of the content the remaining players were excited over.

I own both titles (BO4 and RDR2) and I noticed zero change in base for BO4 and reports are saying it's not doing well despite no official figures out. They're saying it's on par with WWII which did horrible in overall units sold. Something like 12M compared to their top (MW3) which is over 30M.

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/321374/global-all-time-unit-sales-call-of-duty-games/

Maybe RDR2 had an impact (you're right, it's absolutely amazing and I didn't care for RDR1 that much post-play) but the first night of the nightime update I went on and the numbers were similar (being lower). I can't argue this point with validity because I can't remember the dates exactly.

I will say that console players are a finicky bunch and they absolutely will not grow with DayZ as it grows. They get jaded fast.

Don't get me wrong, I want to DayZ to succeed, I've invested a large part of the last 7 years of my life to it because I believe in the experience. I've held my tongue back in these forums and have been a fountain of positivity for the most part. Only recently have I turned off my filter because I'm feeling desperate now because as news of development has come to light the voice of reason has a dull edge.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I own both titles (BO4 and RDR2) and I noticed zero change in base for BO4 and reports are saying it's not doing well despite no official figures out. They're saying it's on par with WWII which did horrible in overall units sold. Something like 12M compared to their top (MW3) which is over 30M.

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/321374/global-all-time-unit-sales-call-of-duty-games/

Maybe RDR2 had an impact (you're right, it's absolutely amazing and I didn't care for RDR1 that much post-play) but the first night of the nightime update I went on and the numbers were similar (being lower). I can't argue this point with validity because I can't remember the dates exactly.

I will say that console players are a finicky bunch and they absolutely will not grow with DayZ as it grows. They get jaded fast.

Don't get me wrong, I want to DayZ to succeed, I've invested a large part of the last 7 years of my life to it because I believe in the experience. I've held my tongue back in these forums and have been a fountain of positivity for the most part. Only recently have I turned off my filter because I'm feeling desperate now because as news of development has come to light the voice of reason has a dull edge.

Completely understandable.

Sometimes you’ve just got to vent a bit, particularly given the fact you pc players have been along for this ride for years. I’ve been following the game for that time period, though obviously not nearly as intimate as you folks.

I very much commend BI for the fact they are still making their game, and not dumbing down the experience for the general console player. That will likely affect their bottom line, though the true fans will really appreciate it.

I’m just hoping the features that were delayed until after “full release” are actually implemented. 

• Beans 1

On 10/26/2018 at 10:59 PM, Din9le said:

I’m loving the night cycle. And the idea of a moon cycle is a great idea, Personally I found it hard to navigate especially through woodland. How about the stars made a little brighter with a few proper constellations so we could use the North Star to navigate.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:39 PM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I'm pretty sure the stars are accurate, I recognise quite a few constellations and found polaris using the pointer in ursa major

On PC the stars are definitely there for navigation.. not all of them, and the magnitudes are kind of half-hearted -  but there is the Plough (the Big Dipper) and you can use it to locate the Pole Star (like we've been doing for thousands of years - and that is not a 'bright' star IRL) , so who needs the rest of the sky to be completely detailed if you can spot Polaris without mistake?  Like in real life you have to be in the right position, and look around to orient yourself, the Pole star and specially the Plough pointer stars (Merak, Dubhe)  can be pretty low down and often hidden by trees or hills.. But once you spot North you can sure move in straight lines quickly through any kind of terrain in very poor ground visibility. .  - just don't fall off any rocks in the dark.-  Orienting yourself as soon as you land in the night game gets to be an easy habit.
If you find yourself under a black midnight storm in torrential rain ..  then you have to think of other ways to do it. (Survival is just hell, ain't it.)

A fun thing to do is just cross the map in the dark on foot. Go from South to North all the way, or from East to West all the way. as you like (or diagonally corner to corner) .. See what happens to ya.. its quite a good thing to do, you won't feel like you wasted a session. for sure.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1

I thought it was awesome. scared the sh@t out of me. 

perfect for Halloween. made everything harder. 

that's kinda the point of the game.

On 10/30/2018 at 5:13 PM, Nayte said:

Completely understandable.

Sometimes you’ve just got to vent a bit, particularly given the fact you pc players have been along for this ride for years. I’ve been following the game for that time period, though obviously not nearly as intimate as you folks.

I very much commend BI for the fact they are still making their game, and not dumbing down the experience for the general console player. That will likely affect their bottom line, though the true fans will really appreciate it.

I’m just hoping the features that were delayed until after “full release” are actually implemented. 

Thanks Nayte. I'm fully confident the features they promised will be deployed post release. Eugene said they would and I'm going with his word as they've never really cut anything out...only delayed.

• Beans 1