Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Night Time is Garbage

Didn't y'all learn anything when you pushed Full Moon Nights super late in the mod after such a big drop off in player population? People don't want to play pitch-black night time on console, all of my friends think it sucks and they've quit + uninstalled. Very few people want to play pitch black nights on PC either. Even with street lights on it's a tough sell. I've been fighting the good fight here for years now and my voice STILL isn't being heard. We would have a full pop 60/60...night time would come on and the population drops to 15/60 every single time.

If y'all really want some nights just put it on certain servers that are labelled to have a night cycle. I would wager those servers will have a low population. You can't force it, give players a choice.

1 hour ago, ImpulZ said:

Currently we have a 3x time acceleration. Because it's winter the days are probably already shorter than nights (yeah, we have an authentic day and night cycle), it's between 4,5 and 5 hours night and 3 to 3.5 hours of day, 8 hours for an entire day.

Creatively, this direction sucks. You've lost your minds if you expect console players to endure 4-5 hours of night time. Doesn't BI want to sell units???

Is this a dev choice or is this coming from upstairs (Marek Spanel)?

• Confused 1

Hmm, I wouldn't say it was pitch black, I can see enough to survive whilst still being challenged. Speaking as one of the console riff raff, I and my friends are loving the night time cycle and were disappointed when it wasn't in from the start. 

• Beans 1

You and your friends are way off the mark here, most Xbox players pleaded for the day-night cycle every time an update would drop. Thanks for contributing your $40 before uninstalling though

• Haha 2

At least this is just for Xbox players, as I'm very pleased to see darker nights come back in DayZ. 0.63 as much better nights than 0.62 and before that. Games these days don't know how to properly "light" the nights, or not to actually. Nights are far too bright in most modern games.

A quick example : Back in the days there was a game named TES3 : Morrowind that had great nights and dark caves/dungeons that required you to use the game's light source (torches, lamps, candles, light spells, etc.) to light your way, but as soon as we got Oblivion or Skyrim, the need to use lights sources at night was useless.

This might be a good thing for the light sources in DayZ, as the need to use a torch, flashlight, flare, weapon attachment flashlight, etc. will become relevant, instead of totally useless.

But, as long as this is for consoles, this doesn't concern me much. If the change lighting for the consoles, so be it, but don't touch on my PC version. Or, let the modders do their stuff...

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I think you could probably put the moon on - say - a 5 day cycle or a 10 day cycle (not 7 day, obviously) instead of the IRL 28 day cycle - so that every 10 days you had a Hunter's Moon..  with moonrise and moonset through each night keyed in to actual IRL timings (it is possible to have 2 moonrises in one night depending on seasons - night length -  and orbits, for instance) ...   So a realistic moon with the 28 day period speeded up to   maybe 8 days (so it did not fall on the same day of the week every week, for players).
DayZ is stuck in a permanent "around-summer"  time-sky  zone ..  so variable moonlight shouldn be too difficult to fit into the same "month" as the game appears to take place in..  just speed the phases up.. (would also be great if they were predictable from one day to the next)

..just an idea.

anything over half moon gives   adequate light in open country (if the moon is in the sky at that time) , and leaves difficult darkness in forested areas.. and I guess most folk still know what a hunter's moon is ?  Lighting in built-up areas, I'll leave to the experts on built up areas..but if you are used to street lights you ca'nt see a damn thing in the country - eg if you get out of your car and turn the headlights off.. and that is not only a-few-minutes temporary thing ..  seeing at night is more a habit that you adjust to.

ps - All full moons rise around the time of sunset. 
(we DO know this don't we folks?)
OK ?

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

I’m really digging the night aspect.

First load after the update and it’s pitch black with a thunder and lightning storm howling on. 

It really created a great sense of caution, as zeds were tougher to discern.

Now we really need light attachments for our weapons.

I have to agree with OP in the sense of having the night cycle longer than the day being a bad direction. While it may be realistic given the time of year, I also feel it may be a bit too much. In my opinion, a 60/40 or 70/30 day/night spread would be much more ideal. 

• Beans 2

12 minutes ago, Jonas Levin said:

If you hate this game so much, then go play something else and be happy (or shut up).

That is narrow minded.

I been critizing a lot in this game...why do i bother? Because i love the game. If i hated it i would not spend a second here.

You don't see me in WoW forums bashing the game and complaining. Why is that? Because i don't like it...then i don't care.

Everyone here, argueing, getting mad etc. do it BECAUSE they enjoy the game, telling them to go play something else is like trying to revive a zombie with two bulletholes in the skull....

• Beans 1

only thing I don't recommend about night time is when its pouring rain. for hours. talk about a server killer. 

7 hours ago, Arctic Volkssturm said:

You and your friends are way off the mark here, most Xbox players pleaded for the day-night cycle every time an update would drop. Thanks for contributing your $40 before uninstalling though

No I'm not. I got 7k+ hours, 6.5 years playing, and 5 years hosting servers. I know player history with the IP better than anybody...I watched it happen. We've had more than 20,000* players (*that are countable) come through our doors and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to notice their behavior. Where are you getting your telemetry from ("most Xbox players")? You're making that up because there is no way for you to know that. Stop talking out of the side of your neck and keep it moving pleb.

5 hours ago, Jonas Levin said:

If you hate this game so much, then go play something else and be happy (or shut up).

Why don't you make me shut up? I love DayZ, where did I say I hated it? Maybe it's time to stop being a fucking troll and get out of my thread?

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

8 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

No I'm not. I got 7k+ hours, 6.5 years playing, and 5 years hosting servers. I know player history with the IP better than anybody...I watched it happen. We've had more than 20,000* players (*that are countable) come through our doors and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to notice their behavior. Where are you getting your telemetry from ("most Xbox players")? You're making that up because there is no way for you to know that. Stop talking out of the side of your neck and keep it moving pleb.

Why don't you make me shut up? I love DayZ, where did I say I hated it? Maybe it's time to stop being a fucking troll and get out of my thread?

Lol ok dayz tough guy. Literally every update that comes out there are people crying on here and on twitter saying they're uninstalling because they wouldn't add day night cycle and now that they did youre in here doing the same thing 

• Like 1

Currently we have a 3x time acceleration. Because it's winter the days are probably already shorter than nights (yeah, we have an authentic day and night cycle), it's between 4,5 and 5 hours night and 3 to 3.5 hours of day, 8 hours for an entire day.

It's not 'authentic' cycle if it's 3x acceleration, and I don't see the point of any authentic cycle because people don't play 24 hour sessions. Especially the authentic 24-hour cycle quite a few people tried to push.

Full moon night is... okay by me. 

Honestly, I don't like playing pitch dark nights. Don't have enough free time on my hands to waste it running around in the pitch black on a map that has a minimum of 3.9 square km per player and usually more like 10-15.

The exception was when I had a set of night vision goggles and a DMR.

I liked the look and atmosphere of the old grayscale nights better than the new Technicolor nights, about which there's something not quite right.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Volkssturm said:

Lol ok dayz tough guy. Literally every update that comes out there are people crying on here and on twitter saying they're uninstalling because they wouldn't add day night cycle and now that they did youre in here doing the same thing 

No they don't, stop lying. There is like ~1% clamouring for a night cycle. I want a night cycle, but it sucks...check my posts before you go grouping me in with your verision of everybody else. I'm not here to argue with someone who's got 35 posts and still wet behind is ears. I need someones ear that can make a change happen. You're on ignore.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

12 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Разве вы не узнали что-либо, когда вы толкнули Full Moon Nights сверх поздно в мод после такого большого падения в популяции игроков? Люди не хотят играть в черное ночное время на консоли, все мои друзья думают, что это отстой, и они ушли + удалены. Очень немногие люди хотят играть в черные ночи на ПК. Даже с уличными фонарями это непростая продажа. Я боролся с хорошей борьбой здесь уже много лет, и мой голос STILL не слышен. У нас будет полный поп 60/60 ... ночное время наступит, и население упадет до 15/60 каждый раз.

Если вы действительно хотите, чтобы некоторые ночи просто помещали его на определенные серверы, которые обозначены как ночной. Я бы сказал, что у этих серверов будет низкая численность населения. Вы не можете заставить его, дать игрокам выбор.

Творчески, это направление сосет. Вы потеряли рассудок, если ожидаете, что игроки консоли будут терпеть 4-5 часов ночного времени. Разве BI не хочет продавать единицы ???

Является ли это выбором разработчика или это происходит из-за этого наверху (Marek Spanel)?

lmao. Dude, if on your server the night just change the server to another. There will be a day there. do not destroy your nerves with simple things.

Weyland Yutani & -Gews- & odin_lowe are three  players who have ALWAYS been with DayZ right since the start. Their opinions are ALWAYS worth listening to and thinking about.  You may agree or disagree, but between them they  have tens of thousands of hours in this game. They have ALWAYS been there. They have seen every change in it from the Mod to the present version. 

Newer players have their points of view too - that's great - but it's silly to insult any of these three players, for any reason. (hey, I wouldn't do it!) So it's a good idea to check their posts if one of them has something to say,. I always do, because whatever is in those posts is defiantly worth looking at & thinking about.

Look back a their old posts, they are full of quality information and opinions about DayZ.  Might even help new players to get a better grip on the game, and notice some important interesting stuff you haven't thought about before.

- just saying.

Put these guys on your read list. Do yourselves a favor.

ENJOY

xxP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Yay for nights!  There’s a game called PUBG and it sounds like it would suit y’all.  Yay for an actual survival experience!  Yay for nights!

I’m loving the night cycle. And the idea of a moon cycle is a great idea, Personally I found it hard to navigate especially through woodland. How about the stars made a little brighter with a few proper constellations so we could use the North Star to navigate.

I can speak for just myself, but : I dont care if its day or nighttime. I like both. I want to play both.

I can see enough, even without a light source ( like in rl ), but sure some locations are dark then. Black clothing or dark colours are great at nighttime. 

38 minutes ago, Din9le said:

I’m loving the night cycle. And the idea of a moon cycle is a great idea, Personally I found it hard to navigate especially through woodland. How about the stars made a little brighter with a few proper constellations so we could use the North Star to navigate.

I'm pretty sure the stars are accurate, I recognise quite a few constellations and found polaris using the pointer in ursa major

• Beans 1

I have to turn out all my lights to play on night cycle. This allows me to see adequately. It's mainly reduction in distance you can see. It also seems (to me) that I can get closer and it's easier to sneak past zeds in the dark. When it was raining at night I had to get right up on the zeds before they noticed me. Made it easier to take them out with melee. 

Couple times I aggro'ed a zed without realizing because it was dark. I got lucky when it was two of them, got a quick kill on first one. Seems even indoors I can see quite well enough.

I am a xbox player who wanted day night cycles.

I do not agree with 8 hour days with the moon cycle being the same as real life tho. That's just wtf thinking right thurrr.

I like the daylight savings setting.

My $.02... Shorten the days to 6 hours. 4 dayz for 1 real day. 28 dayz for a week. We'll get 1 moon cycle a week. Keep the daylight savings setting. Lighten up on the torrential rain. Increase fog, sun showers, etc.

Edited by Man Parts 241

I like the night time cycle, but its not enough to warrant me actually coming back and playing the game more