Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 23 October 2018

16 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

Read the message when you join the game, guys! It's just an alpha.

aocjx.gif

This is hilarious.

Are we getting modding?

Correct, it is an alpha. In 2 months the game will be released and that message will be gone. It won't be an alpha, it won't be a beta, it will be "feature complete" and released.

• Beans 1

51 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

i thought we were just going into beta in a couple months not calling it feature complete.  are they skipping beta?

Technically, no.

Both Beta and 1.0 will be before 1/1/2019.

It's merely the meaning of both which has shifted.

• Beans 1

On 23/10/2018 at 5:59 PM, p4nnus said:

Dont forget the growable weed! Ive waited for that feature for like 4 years.. what a bummer!

svnsyd.jpg

2le5445.jpg

The assets are in. The modders will make it happen when we get horticulture back in. Fingers crossed. :)

• Beans 1

You completely lost track of what the core-community wants. Great, we got fucking half-assed base-building that nobody needs but core features aren't working.

At least you're giving us modding support, so that more competent hobby-developers can take care of this mess.

0.50 played better than 0.63 does, I'm dead fucking serious.

Edited by VVarhead
  • Like 1
  • Beans 5

Living in Canada has one particular benefit, if you are a devoted Standaloner….

Sat back this weekend and got mildly toasted (now that it is legal and easy to get good stuff)...and I actually had a great time in-game!

It was EXACTLY the same experience as the times back a few years when 04.xx builds plentiful.

About the same amount of content...except of course, back then there were more Survivors playing.

Being off-center, mentally, makes the hours wandering around Chenarus, with nothing to do except zapping Infected and collecting 7.62X39mm ammo (and playing the "Stamina Bar Mini-Game") a heck of a lot more enjoyable.

Pretty soon reality will kick back in (and my supply of Doritos and Pepperoni will run low) and I will have to accept that I'm just being a desperate dweeb...

But hey!... A worthy experiment, my friends!

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, VVarhead said:

You completely lost track of what the core-community wants.

I think core community didn't play the game for a few years. Because collecting weapons in lifeless servers and then ghosting to full but still lifeless servers aren't what core DayZ players used to do some years ago. 

I remember watching Puhdado streams a lot !  There were plenty of entertaining streamers, I remember watching DanielFromSL when DayZ was in 0.59 or around the time when player interactions ware going somewhere away from the game... I remember him running around cherno for 20-30mins and not meeting anyone, that was about the time of weapon collectors, server ghosters, bushmasters time of DayZ.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 1:37 PM, IMT said:

Correct, it is an alpha. In 2 months the game will be released and that message will be gone. It won't be an alpha, it won't be a beta, it will be "feature complete" and released.

So, we (the DayZ forum community) have had this discussion in the past.

Early access titles are abusing terms that have existed in the industry for a very long time; basically, perverted their meaning. If the common properties associated with the terms are not kept then they mean nothing. If they are using labels like "1.0" and "alpha/beta" the product should reflect the common understanding of what those terms mean.

Early Access is NOT an alpha (e.g. don't rewrite your engine during an "alpha" test...) DayZ SA is not an alpha. The "alpha" popup was a distraction. It meant nothing and now we all know it. It was basically there to placate the masses. Defend the team all you want, this development process was a hot mess.

I can't believe it's almost 2019.

On 23/10/2018 at 10:39 PM, IMT said:

Oh boy, where to start on this one? I think all the reactions in this topic sum it up in a nutshell, DayZ beta and 1.0 isn't something to be happy about, to say the least. I still had faith in the game, I still stayed around, I supported the developers and protected them against all the negative criticism. To be honest, I am not happy with this SR, not happy at all. I stayed around and supported the game because I wanted the hard and gritty survival game and the promise that you guys wouldn't move from that concept. So what do we get with the release version? A game with barely any survival elements in it, unless I'm overseeing things, but that's what I make up out of the SR. As Emuthreat already mentioned, some things what you guys call "flavor features", we see as the core elements for DayZ. Things like fishing, coloring items, hunting with bows, etc. Those things define DayZ for us, you know, the survival elements in a survival game.

So many questions left unanswered, I highly advice you to make a follow up post to explain a lot of shit because, oh boy, you guys messed up. We're talking about:

- Hunting: fishing, bows, traps
- Crafting: leather clothes, dying, bows, traps, spears, fishing rod, netting
- Survival elements: sickness (cholera, food poisoning, kuru, etc.), cooking (fireplaces don't work at the moment)
- Weapons: SKS, FAL, you name it, there are so few of them, same thing goes for melee weapons
- Clothing: were is all the clothing which used to be in the game? A lot of is it is still missing...
- Binoculars, rangefinder, ghillie suit, throwing, there is so  much more to be summed up but I guess you guys get the point.

A lot of these things have been touched in the SR, but so much hasn't. We got a content patch recently and a lot of stuff didn't even work properly yet or was a WIP. DayZ is going to beta and 1.0 in 2018, there is about 2 months left in 2018, are those things going to be ready before that? And even then, you guys want the core to be about the longetivity of the game. Currently, one is done very fast, so let's hope that base building fills in that gap, at least a bit. A lot of the so called "flavor features" were the features which made us pass time in DayZ. For me DayZ 1.0 ideally would be parity with the old game and some nifty extra's like base building, etc. And with parity I mean every weapon, feature, etc., not some cut down version.

I only talked about the features which are (not) going to be in beta and 1.0 but there is so much more to it. What about the roadmap? How long do we need to wait for our "flavor features" which actually define DayZ for us. The survival elements and features which made the game an actual survival game. Are we talking about weeks, months or years? You guys are moving into beta to start to polish and bugfix the game for 1.0 with the current features. So that will take time, my question is, how much time? And what about after that? You have polished the game and fixed the bugs but as a software engineer, we both know that new features cause new bugs. So you guys need to start over again and reiterate this process again and again...

I've expressed my concerns and anger with the "DayZ will go to beta and 1.0 in 2018" already before. Throwing dates, it has been a thorn in your sides, Eugene even gave a presentation about the dangers with EA. Yet, you did it again and couldn't come through after all. Now you're receiving yet another backlash from the community. But this time it isn't from some salty trolls but from your actual hardcore fanbase, who actually love the game and are in it for the long run. As I mentioned before, I don't mind the waiting and love to work together with you guys to get the game we all want. But I don't like the current sideroad you guys took.

Honestly, it hurts for me to make this or such a post. I wish I didn't have to make this post at all but unfortunately it came to it. It doesn't mean I'm going to start to shit on the game or what ever. I still love DayZ, but unfortunately not the 1.0 DayZ. You guys did hurt your credibility for me though. I'm sure that I will try upcoming content patches but I'm afraid that I will be done with them rather quickly because a lot of pieces of the puzzles are going to be missing.

To be honest, I still hope you guys can pleasantly surprise me at 1.0. I'm hoping that I'm going to say "oh, this is not so bad after all", time will tell. I do hope you guys learn from this bump and take this feedback to heart.

Fireplaces do work BTW, I use them often

6 hours ago, Tyler Tee H C said:

Ouch!!! This is not going well. 

I was also disappointed by the behaviour from the representatives of VIGOR a while ago. And now it is happening here too. 

And this status report is very disappointing also. Losing my faith in BI and the way they communicate with their customers is one thing but releasing a bare bones DayZ reminds me of when I got OFP on the XBox360 and it was totally NOT OFP But a bastardisation half sister. And now DayZ is going to released as it is now ?? And the essential survival elements taken out. And Base building which only 20% of community wants is in ?? Oh very dear.

This is a sad day for DayZ

20%? Where do you draw your data from? 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 4:34 PM, exwoll said:

like wtf is so hard of creating an rng event with a fish as a prize?

We can only hope that this is not what 1.0 (1.3) fishing will look like.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:26 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Technically, no.

Both Beta and 1.0 will be before 1/1/2019.

It's merely the meaning of both which has shifted.

^^^THIS^^^  The concept of having a thing called "Beta/1.0" is at the root of this issue.

Just call it what it is, and we will accept that as we have all previous patches.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:41 AM, odin_lowe said:

svnsyd.jpg

2le5445.jpg

The assets are in. The modders will make it happen when we get horticulture back in. Fingers crossed. :)

Those plants are weak; need better noots.  Maybe don't plant them so close.

10 hours ago, abliss66 said:

Oh hai, looks like your job is being advertised for? https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/931759537/

It's Dominik isn't it? No one envies your position, and you'll be restricted from what you can tell people publicly compared to the internal motivations and finer details are I'm sure. One thing that might suit you well in your future career in marketing would be to know when the shut the f up, swallow your pride and understand you are representing a company. You may be managing the brand but I doubt you have any say on the matter, compared to perhaps, a creative director, when it comes to how the brand is to be perceived. 

So, to quote my favourite film, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Quit being part of the problem. 

Dude...  Not cool.  Read the guidelines.  You won't be missed.

34 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Only for a week or two in stress test.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:52 AM, RaptorM60 said:

• we've now reached a point where we have the core set of features that make the core DayZ gameplay, and that's why the line has been drawn

Perhaps what is missing to assuage some of these concerns we are all having, could be solved by a graphic of what exactly are the "core" features; and how they relate to these yet to be implemented features that many of us have been mentioning.
If throwing objects, fishing, using snares, crating and coloring leather clothes, and vaulting are not core features of the game/engine, please illustrate to us which core features form the base plate of these functionalities; and try to explain to us the hierarchy of complexity preventing such things from being viable at this time.
I really do think it would help a lot.

As it stands, the projected 1.0 release is not something that anyone here wants to see called 1.0/Gold.  We could all accept it being called Beta in a few weeks, and for a few months, I think; as most would feel that it is close enough to accurate

Perhaps after 3, 6, or 9 months, we could see a Gamma version and test that out for a couple weeks before calling it 1.0.  Anything else seems to be received as being crafty; leaning towards the dark arts, if you will...

Thanks for listening.

14 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Only for a week or two in stress test.

I'm on xbox and so nothing to do with stress test. I assume by working fireplaces, the post was referring to being able to cook in a fireplace in a house? If so, this is working on console and has done since release. Used it again last night so can confirm it's still working in console edition. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I'm on xbox and so nothing to do with stress test.

Not looking for trouble, here, Dude...

But don't forget to mention that your experiences are console-based...so it avoids adding fuel to the fireplace ;-)

2 minutes ago, philbur said:

Not looking for trouble, here, Dude...

But don't forget to mention that your experiences are console-based...so it avoids adding fuel to the fireplace ;-)

Not looking for trouble either, I was merely pointing out a fact. 

Can anyone confirm that 1.0 will be the build that leaves early access (PC)/game preview (xbox)?

25 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

Afaik they said that x box will leave preview in Q2.

Okay dude thanks 

1 hour ago, TheYetiBum said:

Can anyone confirm that 1.0 will be the build that leaves early access (PC)/game preview (xbox)?

<< having a specific, locked feature set for 1.0 is essential in order to establish a stable game/platform
we've now reached a point where we have the core set of features that make the core DayZ gameplay, and that's why the line has been drawn
1.0 with this feature set, and proper amount of bug fixes and stability, will be the best DayZ we delivered to date + modding support. That alone makes it worth a 1.0 release >>

1.0 has to appear on PC and Xbox at 'the same time'..  They are doing all this stuff to PC right now so that the game - previously long-developed for PC - WILL FIT to Xbox on a 1-for-1 "same-same" basis.. It cant be released as 1.0 on PC until that version translates exactly to Xbox. Then they both go out as 1.0 together (synchronized, anyway..)
In addition they have to have the Xbox controller and Xbox server stuff sorted out perfectly.  DayZ - the version for everybody - has to fit into an Inflexible Microsoft Designer-Box THEN (- ONLY THEN - ) they can plug the reshaped ready-for-PC = ready-for-Xbox 1.0..  directly in to both.
I guess you can't announce 1.0 on Xbox and still call it "early access"  - right?  <<Early access to DayZ 1.0 >> ??  .. Nah..

IMO they will add on "exact object placement"  and once the root game is working smoothly for Xbox, they should fairly easily re-introduce all the items/crafting combinations already present in 0.62
- and that will be DayZ-PC 1.0

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

So, we (the DayZ forum community) have had this discussion in the past.

Early access titles are abusing terms that have existed in the industry for a very long time; basically, perverted their meaning. If the common properties associated with the terms are not kept then they mean nothing. If they are using labels like "1.0" and "alpha/beta" the product should reflect the common understanding of what those terms mean.

Early Access is NOT an alpha (e.g. don't rewrite your engine during an "alpha" test...) DayZ SA is not an alpha. The "alpha" popup was a distraction. It meant nothing and now we all know it. It was basically there to placate the masses. Defend the team all you want, this development process was a hot mess.

I can't believe it's almost 2019.

I know about the terms and the developmentcycle. Early Access could be a very strong tool to develop a game, unfortunately there are very few to none who actually use the Early Access part to their advantage. And to be clear, I'm not defending the team, that time is over. I'm just pointing out that in 2019 DayZ isn't in EA anymore and we should have a fully released product with all features. But we all know how that is going to turn out.

7 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Unless they fixed it with a recent build, they have been bugged. We tried multiple times to get them working but they wouldn't.

2 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

As far as I know, when DayZ hits 1.0, it is a fully released game. In other words, the game will go out of Early Access.

2 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

Currently, DayZ is projected to leave Xbox Game Preview in Q1 2019, along with a full release of the game on PlayStation 4 !!

https://www.bohemia.net/blog/dayz-is-out-now-on-xbox-game-preview

Not sure how much of that is still true since PS 4 release is aimed for Q2. Still, this makes the argument that they want to release the game so they can release the game on PS 4 even more likely. Yikes...

This makes a lot of sense...if they release 1.0 on PC before christmas , they can then polish and tweak the game during Q 1 and  go fully release on XBox and PS in Q2. This probably means we will see a few more weapons and the helicopter on PC as well somewhere around Q2.

However even if this works out fine, it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth since it clearly shows that all  (includes the engine) was mainly about console releases.

All those years so many true fans have defended this early access project with admirable dedication. Every time someone tried to even hint that things will end this way they were there to defend the devs, and yet here we are. 1.0 version with no throwing. Forget complex survival mechanics we all hoped for. We don't even get to throw things at each other. 

I'm feeling ambivalent reading this thread. On one had I can't say I'm surprised that we are where we are, in fact I'm one of the people who said this is where we're headed for a long time. On the other I am kind of disappointed that I was right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

21 minutes ago, General Zod said:

All those years so many true fans have defended this early access project with admirable dedication. Every time someone tried to even hint that things will end this way they were there to defend the devs, and yet here we are. 1.0 version with no throwing. Forget complex survival mechanics we all hoped for. We don't even get to throw things at each other. 

I'm feeling ambivalent reading this thread. On one had I can't say I'm surprised that we are where we are, in fact I'm one of the people who said this is where we're headed for a long time. On the other I am kind of disappointed that I was right. 

Headed towards what?

After a long drought of visible development we saw good development throughout this year. Sure, I did expect some more stuff to be in the game by December.

Besides, for gameplay reasons it does not matter if throwing or something else is or is not in 1.0. It does matter for marketing reasons though. The only survival elements that will be missing are fishing and bone fractures, as far as I know.
Even though I am disappointed we will not have ragdoll, throwing and climbing. It is not as bad as some people make it out to be, gameplay wise.

Edited by amadieus

1 hour ago, amadieus said:

Headed towards what?

After a long drought of visible development we saw good development throughout this year. Sure I even expected some more stuff to be in the game at the end of this year. Besides for gameplay reasons it does not matter if throwing or something else is or is not in 1.0. It does matter for marketing reasons though. The only survival elements that will be missing are fishing and bone fractures, as far as I know.

Headed towards a console focused pseudo-hardcore moneygrab survival experience. 

I already saw the warning signs last year in some of their SR, when Brian left, that was the sealing moment that confirmed my fears. They lied a lot to defend themselves, and now that they shown their cards it was no surprise at all. A lot of folk wasn't expecting that, they had (some still have) their pink glasses on,, the rest is already tired from warning about that since a long time ago. 

What disgust me at this point, is that they dare to come here and openly spread corporate PR bs to calm the masses.

1.0 on PC has no repercussions on console releases at all. 

We don't really have business people that call the shots, analyze markets, or anything of that sort

We're very much a development driven company

I'd be the last to scam you or try being some sort of a con artist. What I'm telling you is totally honest, 100% of time. 

(last line just killed me, specially contrasting with the shady smoking businessuit avatar pic lol)

Edited by exwoll

1 hour ago, amadieus said:

Headed towards what?

After a long drought of visible development we saw good development throughout this year. Sure, I did expect some more stuff to be in the game by December.

Besides, for gameplay reasons it does not matter if throwing or something else is or is not in 1.0. It does matter for marketing reasons though. The only survival elements that will be missing are fishing and bone fractures, as far as I know.
Even though I am disappointed we will not have ragdoll, throwing and climbing. It is not as bad as some people make it out to be, gameplay wise.

Headed towards what's in the report. 5 years into the development this game is a state that no one will pay for. And yes it does matter if we have throwing, not because it's a make or break feature, but we should be getting more and more content and functionality with each patch, let alone something as bing as going beta. Throwing has been bugged since ever, it should have been fixed dozen times over by now, not removed. Removing broken features instead of fixing them is not progress.  

This project already had it's biggest cash injection,  if that didn't allow the devs to get things done I don't see much room for improvement, I highly doubt the sales especially for PC have been going up, and this might just be the final nail in the coffin. What we have here is one step forward, two steps back. All you need is to go through this thread and you see that even the biggest fans realize that things are not looking good if this is how we enter beta. Beta should be a big patch, full of improvement that wakes this game up from the borderline coma it's in. What we got instead is life support. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Beans 2